Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hydrolysed collagen, why is it considered bad?

I see this on muscle forums when someone recommends a flapjack product but no one ever tells me why it's bad bar it comes from bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

For ages I had been thinking about satay and how to make it, I did it tonight made a chicken and veg stir fry and made my satay sauce, except it wasn't really satay because I didn't have any peanut butter used almond butter instead but it was good! Even took pictures of it:o (and then the battery died as I was uploading them)

Tomorrow I'm going to make pate (first time to do it) and walnut cracker things, something I made up used almonds last time but wanted it more savoury. Almonds would be more suited to cookie type of stuff. Going to do more of those crispy kale things (put way too much spice on the last bunch) And I'm going to make two types of bars transforms ones and ones higher in protein.

...or at least that's the plan.

I also descaled my coffee machine which was badly needed, it also seemed to clean it out, looking forward to a good coffee tomorrow.

I'm excited about tomorrow, even though I'm also planning on doing the hovering and cleaning the litter tray.

Just remembered I have to fix my bike and look after my brothers cat, it'll be a busy day so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

That which helps to counterbalance does not always maintain balance

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rocky wrote: »
    yeah... Keep in mind I'm a steak noob, I enjoyed chewing my steaks until now...

Are they beside Evergreen in the Galway SC?
    That which helps to counterbalance does not always maintain balance

That's a very good vid. I don't like the way he says lowcarbpaleo like it's one inseparable phrase though. Every single mainstream low carb plan transitions to higher carbs, every one. Atkins specifically mentions not to stay in ketosis for longer than 6 months and then only for the severely obese. I do get why people 'forget' that though, god to feel the lovely clean energy and brilliant mood of when you first get into ketosis once more! It's almost like a drug that you continue to chase the high of but never really get back.

I'm dabbling in low food reward lately, I can confidently say it will never ever catch on. Withdrawal is fecking vicious. Reading up a little about the excitotoxin theory of obesity which fits nicely into food reward. I am ridiculously over-dependant on tamari sauce and Worcester sauce and Marigold vegan vegetable stock in my cooking and all are loaded with (natural) free glutamate which is an excitotoxin. Also love the coating of char on a bbq steak which has the same. Low carb is sooooo much easier.:)

• Advertisement

Look only on this forum, how many paleo-oriented people shun carbs, some even imply carbs cause diabetes?!

I tried low-reward yesterday, lamb liver + polenta + sour cream. By 9pm I had to get some chocolate brazil nuts, or the 6 week old wouldn't appreciate my lack of energy :)

Look only on this forum, how many paleo-oriented people shun carbs, some even imply carbs cause diabetes?!

I tried low-reward yesterday, lamb liver + polenta + sour cream. By 9pm I had to get some chocolate brazil nuts, or the 6 week old wouldn't appreciate my lack of energy :)

Yeah, and all of them are in their lovely honeymoon stage so don't burst their bubbles mkay? :) I'm sure they'll have no qualms amping up the potato quotient when they're at goal.

And good god, if I had to correct every inaccurate thing on here I'd be every second post on every thread and I'm pretty sure no one would want to post here if they were new, most of the bollixology coming from the WW crowd. Plus you're always there to set people straight on the carbs deal :pac:

Did you have a baby? If so congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I can't handle babies, bit I sure can handle Carbs, I can't even handle myself at times

It's the books. They start off by demonising carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

You guys have any cholesterol drug studies to hand? I'd love to have some solid info when i'm chatting to my old man later on.

• Advertisement

There's a few and they're all glowingly positive, you need to have a real handle on the stats to see what's what with them. I work with a doctor who believes everyone over the age of 50 should be on one. We've tarried a bit in debate but the facts are so fudged that I don't think I convinced him of anything, wearing him down slowly on the saturated fat issue though, not letting that one go!

What age is your dad? Has he a diagnosed history of heart disease? If not you could show him this:

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004816/statins-for-the-primary-prevention-of-cardiovascular-disease

It's a systematic review of all trials using statins to prevent heart disease in healthy people.

Yeah, and all of them are in their lovely honeymoon stage so don't burst their bubbles mkay? :) I'm sure they'll have no qualms amping up the potato quotient when they're at goal.

And good god, if I had to correct every inaccurate thing on here I'd be every second post on every thread and I'm pretty sure no one would want to post here if they were new, most of the bollixology coming from the WW crowd. Plus you're always there to set people straight on the carbs deal :pac:

You mean there's another way ...?

duty_calls.png

Did you have a baby? If so congrats!!!

Yep, we were in the maternity clinic this new years eve... Best days/nights to have a baby are Dec 31 - Jan 1-2, plenty of free parking spots, any other times it's been mental, people parking on grass, on double yellow lines... :)

Yep, we were in the maternity clinic this new years eve... Best days/nights to have a baby are Dec 31 - Jan 1-2, plenty of free parking spots, any other times it's been mental, people parking on grass, on double yellow lines... :)

Aww!! Congratulations daddy Rocky! Your absence is now explained, though good luck keeping a clean diet on less than 6hrs sleep a night.:pac:

I'm not into clean diets anyway... The choc and hazelnut toffee tart is cooling as I type... :pac:

I only sleep about 6 hours a night and funnily enough I sleep better now since being sent to the spare bedroom... no more 'accidental' elbow to the ribs at 5 am :). The baby girl likes her white noise and I'm a very fussy sleeper.

There's a few and they're all glowingly positive, you need to have a real handle on the stats to see what's what with them. I work with a doctor who believes everyone over the age of 50 should be on one. We've tarried a bit in debate but the facts are so fudged that I don't think I convinced him of anything, wearing him down slowly on the saturated fat issue though, not letting that one go!

What age is your dad? Has he a diagnosed history of heart disease? If not you could show him this:

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004816/statins-for-the-primary-prevention-of-cardiovascular-disease

It's a systematic review of all trials using statins to prevent heart disease in healthy people.

Nope, no history of heart disease...he's 57 and he's been taking statins for 5+ years(i think). Was diagnosed with type II diabetes a few years ago too but this is under control now.

He's very open to changing his eating habits though which is pretty cool (was delighted to hear about sat fat!:D)

...i just have to find the right method to suit him. i got him to try a low carb day a week, increasing it by one day every week until he got to 5 low carb days for the week. he got to 3 but just couldn't hack it.

His problem is not carbs per se but the types he eats generally contain a lot of fat too so it's hard to control his calorie intake.
    On the low carb days i had him increase fats, naturally.

I might have him attempt just one carb meal a day which would probably suit him better as he only eats twice a day as it is.

Anyway i'm rambling. I'll give that a read, thanks!:)

Every now and again I'm reminded of how much a weirdo I am when it comes to food. Breakfast this morning is herby cream cheese, mashed sardines and saurkraut on thin rice crackers. My colleagues are unified in their disgust. I think it tastes lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Every now and again I'm reminded of how much a weirdo I am when it comes to food. Breakfast this morning is herby cream cheese, mashed sardines and saurkraut on thin rice crackers. My colleagues are unified in their disgust. I think it tastes lovely!

I just had 400g of steak with Frank's Hot Sauce and an apple.
    My dad couldn't believe I was cooking steak at 10am

Yeah, my colleagues eat giant white flour scones doused in flora and mainline coffee all day, if that's normal I don't want to be normal.

'Normal' has resulted in over half the population being overweight anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But if it was a steak from a pig he probably would have been grand about it! I have asked before but had no replies about what is so special about pigs in the morning, and what is so wrong about other animals.

My aunt eats (beef!) steak on christmas morning.

Its weird that some people have timetables of when they are allowed eat certain things.

I had a roast chicken (smallish one) bathed in Franks the other day for my lunch...that stuff is fookin delish.
    did you have it on the apple too?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I love Franks! It's the saviour of healthy eating :D It also helps with my water intake as I don't drink enough water usually except when my mouth is on fire :cool:

I'm loving Lyle McDonald's books. They seem very refreshing after reading other diet books. No made up stories and less patronizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

I'm dabbling in low food reward lately, I can confidently say it will never ever catch on. Withdrawal is fecking vicious. Reading up a little about the excitotoxin theory of obesity which fits nicely into food reward. I am ridiculously over-dependant on tamari sauce and Worcester sauce and Marigold vegan vegetable stock in my cooking and all are loaded with (natural) free glutamate which is an excitotoxin. Also love the coating of char on a bbq steak which has the same. Low carb is sooooo much easier.:)
    What format is your low reward diet taking? Did you pick 3 different foods to eat or are you just not seasoning anything?

When I read his low reward diet recommedations it struck me (and I guess I hadn't realised before) that I love to put salt and butter on things to make them taste nicer! I guess they would me my 'go-to' seasonings....

I'm loving Lyle McDonald's books. They seem very refreshing after reading other diet books. No made up stories and less patronizing.
    I went and checked out his website and forum again after I saw this post and really I don't think I could bring myself to actually pay for a book of his. I just seem to taken a set against that man!

The only way I'll ever read any of his books is if someone lends one to me cause I aint paying!:P:pac:

It is very much engrained in people as to what is 'breakfast' food and what isn't. Food is food is food IMO....

I'm not into clean diets anyway... The choc and hazelnut toffee tart is cooling as I type... :pac:

I only sleep about 6 hours a night and funnily enough I sleep better now since being sent to the spare bedroom... no more 'accidental' elbow to the ribs at 5 am :). The baby girl likes her white noise and I'm a very fussy sleeper.
    Congrats on the new arrival. Hope things are settling down somewhat for you guys at this stage. :)

I went and checked out his website and forum again after I saw this post and really I don't think I could bring myself to actually pay for a book of his. I just seem to taken a set against that man!

The only way I'll ever read any of his books is if someone lends one to me cause I aint paying!:P:pac:

Is he a bit too grumpy? :P

What format is your low reward diet taking? Did you pick 3 different foods to eat or are you just not seasoning anything?

When I read his low reward diet recommedations it struck me (and I guess I hadn't realised before) that I love to put salt and butter on things to make them taste nicer! I guess they would me my 'go-to' seasonings....

The format of EPIC FAIL. As in I cannot stick to it for longer than 2 days, and I have tried some wacky diets. I think I can do level 2 but no more. Oh Worcester sauce and spices, how I've missed you!!

Had to go back and read this again to remember what all the levels were...

I'm surprised to hear that you wouldn't be able to stick to anything above level 2 in the longterm. Does that make the whole low reward diet defunct if you can't actually stick to to?

In saying that I can't even adhere to level 1 as I try to have snacks throughout the day (have hypoglycemic tendencies). And I eat lunch at work everyday so level 2 bites the dust then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I was going to start a thread on this but I figured it's such a small query, I might get an answer here!

I've been trying to increase my water intake as part of a diet and exercise revamp. The diet has improved vastly, as has the exercise levels, but I'm finding it really hard to drink more than a litre of water a day. I don't drink coffee, would have maybe 3 cups of tea per month maximum and don't drink juices, smoothies or soft drinks so it's not like I'm substituting water for anything else. Anytime I drink a litre or more I'm in and out to the bathroom :o

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've been like this for about 4 months now.

Oh, and basic stats: female, 24, 146 pounds, 5'7, no health problems :)

Advertisement