Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Payne played very well but for me it showed why he's better at 13. His performance was about linking with the rest of the backline, solidifying the defensive line etc and very little of the solo attacking runs that are supposed to be the reason he'd be a better 15. Either way, he deserved MOTM, although Muldoon would have been a good call too.

PJ surely has to shoulder some blame for the total absence of attacking direction, no?

Marshall and Gilroy played well, McCloskey was quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »
    Billouncer has forgotten his meds again.:D:D:D. I too would have given the motm to PJ or Luke Marshall or even Best before Payne. Browne played well and the team lost a fair bit when he was replaced by Diack. Lutton is a moron at times on the field but did well enough in the scrum against Buckley. Paul Marshall is beyond shyte these days. McCloskey was o.k.

McCloskey was well shackled by Robb. His defence was good. You wouldn't have known Aki was playing had it not been for his OTT reaction to Trimble's deliberate knock on ( a great example of taking one for the team if there was ever one). Alas his season may be over anyway which is a real shame. The upside being Olding will get to play in his best position now.

PJ surely has to shoulder some blame for the total absence of attacking direction, no?

That last 15 minutes was mostly down to Marshall I'm afraid. He just kept taking the momentum out of any quick ball Ulster had. We really just needed to generate quick ball and then shift it wide, but Marshall kept crabbing across the pitch before hitting a straight line runner. That's fine to generate the quick ball but uou have it and you have a 2 man advantage throw it wide FFS!

I guess where you can be critical of PJ is that he should have been screaming at Marshall for the ball. That is something that separates Sexton from the other Irish 10s. If you don't do what he wants he will let you know. Jackson needs to add that to his game. To be fair he may do it already, but if he does it isn't very obvious to those of us watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

bilston wrote: »
    So as far as tomorrow is con erned we need Cardiff to beat the Scarlets in Llanelli...that's unlikely.

We need Treviso to beat Glasgow in Italy...never going to happen.

We also need Leinster to beat Munster and to deny them a LBP...well that is possible I suppose.

I think the most we can hope for from our last 3 games is 13 points, however I think we'll probably get 10. Worst case scenario is 5-7 points. I doubt 13 would be enough to get us a top 4 finish, 10 should get us into the Champions Cup, 5-7 might as well given Edinburgh have trips to Munster and Leinster in their last 3 games.

So in short top 4 is unlikely but there is still plenty to play for.

One unlikely result down!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

We beat Connacht, Connacht beat Leinster, Leinster beat Munster. Therefore...

WE'RE BRILL AGAIN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Just got round to watching the Ulster V Connacht match. Had it recorded. It was a great game. Ulster were far more physical overall despite this Connacht played incredibly. Defended excellently, passing was crisp which allowed them to score. The only aspects of the game a little off is the line-outs and kicker. Their style of play is really so enjoyable to watch regardless.

Ulster though were deserved winners. Good recycling of the ball and the talent on display among the Ulster players was enough to see out the game and prevent shambolic performance at the back. The strategy of keeping Connacht contained proved effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Just got round to watching the Ulster V Connacht match. Had it recorded. It was a great game. Ulster were far more physical overall despite this Connacht played incredibly. Defended excellently, passing was crisp which allowed them to score. The only aspects of the game a little off is the line-outs and kicker. Their style of play is really so enjoyable to watch regardless.

Ulster though were deserved winners. Good recycling of the ball and the talent on display among the Ulster players was enough to see out the game and prevent shambolic performance at the back. The strategy of keeping Connacht contained proved effective.
    Do remember you had a full strength squad versus a team that is laden with injury. I wouldnt get carried away :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Do remember you had a full strength squad versus a team that is laden with injury. I wouldnt get carried away :-)

ulster were not at full strength. Williams, Bowe, Tuohy, herbst, are four first choice players who were missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

neelia11 wrote: »
    ulster were not at full strength. Williams, Bowe, Tuohy, herbst, are four first choice players who were missing.

Williams, Bowe, Herbst, Tuohy, O'Connor, Warwick, Nelson, Ludik, Arnold, Also, a number of players are still suffering from the after effects of a respiratory virus. Cave for example wouldn't have been used except in an emergency.

Billysays 'Can't read a team sheet.'.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Defended excellently? They infringed until they were down to thirteen. They did well to then keep a white line fevered Ulster out with that number, but Ulster turned down 12 points from the boot, and it meant when Connacht got turnover ball, they could do nothing with it as they were two men down.

If they'd managed to keep 15 men on the pitch, I'd have backed them to at least get the lbp.

• Advertisement

Aye if you take Williams and O'Connor out of our pack it makes a big difference.

Also I'm not sure why we aren't starting McCall, Black is decent but McCall looks a step up on any of our props to be honest.

Aye if you take Williams and O'Connor out of our pack it makes a big difference.

Also I'm not sure why we aren't starting McCall, Black is decent but McCall looks a step up on any of our props to be honest.

Didn't Kiss say it was because it was his first real season?, and be didn't want to wear him out? I suspect McCall will start featuring more now we're at the end of the regular season. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start against Leinster and Ospreys.

Didn't Kiss say it was because it was his first real season?, and be didn't want to wear him out? I suspect McCall will start featuring more now we're at the end of the regular season. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start against Leinster and Ospreys.

I hadn't heard that but there is some logic to it if that is the case.

I hadn't heard that but there is some logic to it if that is the case.

I'm pretty sure I heard/read that.

Kiss is feeling his way into provincial team man-management. He's effectively poacher turned gamekeeper as regards playing time for the Ulster team.

I'm pretty sure I heard/read that.

Kiss is feeling his way into provincial team man-management. He's effectively poacher turned gamekeeper as regards playing time for the Ulster team.

Yeah, as I've said a few times I like him and I think he will do good things. I have found one or two of his team selections a bit strange, but at the same time I don't even think it's a case of him feeling his way into provincial management, I wonder if part of it is that he is assessing the squad ahead of next season.

Let's face it we will be a lot stronger next season with two genuinely world class signings arriving. Shame we are losing Williams as part of the bargain but with Treadwell coming too we are definitely in credit next year. That's when I will be judging Les, but I'm confident he will do well.

Yeah, as I've said a few times I like him and I think he will do good things. I have found one or two of his team selections a bit strange, but at the same time I don't even think it's a case of him feeling his way into provincial management, I wonder if part of it is that he is assessing the squad ahead of next season.

Let's face it we will be a lot stronger next season with two genuinely world class signings arriving. Shame we are losing Williams as part of the bargain but with Treadwell coming too we are definitely in credit next year. That's when I will be judging Les, but I'm confident he will do well.

Completely agree - I kind of think of this season as a dry run. Lot of reasons to be excited. My concerns are scrumhalf and, perhaps ironically, wing, with Scholes away. If Conan is indeed coming from Leinster, we will be in a good place indeed.

What we could really do with, though, is a replacement for Clarke.

It's very unsettling to me to see how few local guys become Ulster players.

Next season we will have:-
    Black, Herring, Ross, Herbst, O'Connor, V.d. Merwe, Tuohy, Treadwell, Diack, Ah F$%k, Coetzee, Murphy, Browne, Ludik, Payne, Piutau, Reidy, C.Ross. That's almost 50% of the main squad. I'm niot counting guys like Rowley or Sam Windsor. I don't know if they will be here next season. All those listed are those whose main development was outside here. Without them we could be down alongside Zebre.....unless there are a lot of players whose potential is missed, ignored or just simply unseen. There definitely are some.

Guys like Whitten, Seymour, Steenson, Farrell, Bealham, Carey and others were deemed excess baggage by Clarke and others while they bring back guys who really did fail here - like iHumph, Faloon, NOC, and others. Bone headed stuff. It makes you wonder what these guys see. One coach - Niall Malone - told Gilroy he'd never make a pro rugby player. FFS, a blind man on a galloping horse could see his potential.

I may have missed out on some and there are also Academy guys who came here from elsewhere.

It's very unsettling to me to see how few local guys become Ulster players.

Next season we will have:-
    Black, Herring, Ross, Herbst, O'Connor, V.d. Merwe, Tuohy, Treadwell, Diack, Ah F$%k, Coetzee, Murphy, Browne, Ludik, Payne, Piutau, Reidy, C.Ross. That's almost 50% of the main squad. I'm niot counting guys like Rowley or Sam Windsor. I don't know if they will be here next season. All those listed are those whose main development was outside here. Without them we could be down alongside Zebre.....unless there are a lot of players whose potential is missed, ignored or just simply unseen. There definitely are some.

Guys like Whitten, Seymour, Steenson, Farrell, Bealham, Carey and others were deemed excess baggage by Clarke and others while they bring back guys who really did fail here - like iHumph, Faloon, NOC, and others. Bone headed stuff. It makes you wonder what these guys see. One coach - Niall Malone - told Gilroy he'd never make a pro rugby player. FFS, a blind man on a galloping horse could see his potential.

I may have missed out on some and there are also Academy guys who came here from elsewhere.

In fairness, Whitten and Farrell is more to do with our backlog at centre. Whitten would have seen Marshall and Spence coming through, and read the writing on the wall. However, Bealham and Carey are exactly my point.

The ability of Clarke to spot and facilitate forwards talent coming through has been negligible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Aren't ye missing Rodney ah you from the international players coming in........

Actually can ye take him now.

Aren't ye missing Rodney ah you from the international players coming in........

He's mentioned after Diack...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah You is 'Irish' though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

He's mentioned after Diack...

Didn't see that. But the name is right....

I did. The ones on bold are NIQ or NIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

IMHO Ulster need to win remaining 3 matches to make top 4 and probably get a BP to boot. At least by the time they play Ospreys the Welsh side will probably have nothing to play for but 3 wins are essential.

I did. The ones on bold are NIQ or NIE.

I saw it there I didnt see the Ah F***

but the main point still stands can ye take him early???? please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

but the main point still stands can ye take him early???? please

going by fridays performance I think they already have :cool:

neelia11 wrote: »
    going by fridays performance I think they already have :cool:

I know :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Barring an injury I think Rodney has had his last match for Connacht in the pro 12. Bealham and White are both magnitudes better than him.

But to be fair to Rodney, if ye can get him playing his best again when he goes up to ye he will be an asset for the squad at least. I probably would never have him as starting TH because his scrummaging can be suspect but he's a seriously destructive ball carrier when he wants to be, and he does have his good days at the scrum too.

IMHO Ulster need to win remaining 3 matches to make top 4 and probably get a BP to boot. At least by the time they play Ospreys the Welsh side will probably have nothing to play for but 3 wins are essential.

If Connacht beat Munster and Glasgow beat the Scarlets in the next round of games then 13 points from our last three games could be enough. It would depend on how many bonus points the Scarlets get in their last 2 games.

We could do with getting Williams back though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

If Connacht beat Munster and Glasgow beat the Scarlets in the next round of games then 13 points from our last three games could be enough. It would depend on how many bonus points the Scarlets get in their last 2 games.

We could do with getting Williams back though.

Ulster's next big game is against Leinster on 30th. That's nearly four weeks for Williams to get back for last two games. They don't need him for Zebre. Glasgow beating Scarlets is now a massive game for Ulster. Glasgow win that and a top 4 place is back in Ulster's hands with two games to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement