Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Great news that RTE have extended a contract offer to Jim Neilly to add an Ulster voice to the commentary team. Great pick up for them.

Apparently there's a 4 day deadline on getting it signed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

rsh118 wrote: »
    Great news that RTE have extended a contract offer to Jim Neilly to add an Ulster voice to the commentary team. Great pick up for them.

Apparently there's a 4 day deadline on getting it signed.

This would work better if they didn't already have George Hamilton. You didn't think it through.

This would work better if they didn't already have George Hamilton. You didn't think it through.

George Hamilton's become too Eire-fied. My cousin who is part of the establishment told me...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Number 137

I think Coetzee will make a massive difference next season. He is a quality player who will get even better, but he is also hard as nails and hugely aggressive. I think Ulster have been a bit soft up front in recent seasons and he can give them that edge. It's also a trait that can catch on, so if the rest of the forwards buy into that mentality, Coetzee will be an outstanding signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Number 137 wrote: »
    I think Coetzee will make a massive difference next season. He is a quality player who will get even better, but he is also hard as nails and hugely aggressive. I think Ulster have been a bit soft up front in recent seasons and he can give them that edge. It's also a trait that can catch on, so if the rest of the forwards buy into that mentality, Coetzee will be an outstanding signing.

Here's hoping.

On a grimmer note, O'Connor and Williams are both out of the Connacht game. On a more positive note Trimble, Payne and Best have all recovered from their injuries to be available this week. Bowe and Ludik are pretty close too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    Here's hoping.

On a grimmer note, O'Connor and Williams are both out of the Connacht game. On a more positive note Trimble, Payne and Best have all recovered from their injuries to be available this week. Bowe and Ludik are pretty close too.

Virus has swept through the squad again. Yesterday it was just Andy Warwick and Mark Best suffering but five more players reported in this morning who are being affected by it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

My first trip to Ravenspan this weekend. I am driving wheres the best place to park up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

My first trip to Ravenspan this weekend. I am driving wheres the best place to park up?
    East Belfast would be a great spot, they'd look after your car for you while you're at the match. ;)

car_on_blocks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Are you staying up overnight or returning home after the game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Are you staying up overnight or returning home after the game?

heading to Dublin after

• Advertisement

heading to Dublin after

If I'm driving I usually park along one of the roads that link the Ormeau rd and Ravenhill rd. Check google maps to see the roads I'm referring to. To get a space you must be there at least 1 hour before kick off, don't block anyone's driveway access or psni traffic branch will be haling you over the ravenspan PA system ;-)

If I'm driving I usually park along one of the roads that link the Ormeau rd and Ravenhill rd. Check google maps to see the roads I'm referring to. To get a space you must be there at least 1 hour before kick off, don't block anyone's driveway access or psni traffic branch will be haling you over the ravenspan PA system ;-)

Thanks a million

Henshaw and Payne both playing 15 tomorrow.:eek:

Ha.

Lam and Kiss are just trolling us surely!

9427435.jpg?354

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hendo at 6 and Payne at 15.

170422_dancing_banana.gif~c200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Can also park on the Montgomery Road and either walk down or get the shuttle bus from the bus stop on Montgomery Road (where Alanbrooke Road junction is).

If you're there an hour before kick off there should be loads of places.

Will be some craic between Hencho and the Payne after the match id say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

rsh118 wrote: »
    Will be some craic between Hencho and the Payne after the match id say!
    do you mean henchie and payno?

It's definitely The Payne. It's what he uses as his twitter handle. :D

• Advertisement

Owing to his transfer across to Mexico, he's been forced to accept a nickname which ends in o I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster look like a side afraid for their lives at taking risks. 15 on 13 with a few metres to go and they don't spin it wide. Decision making is crap too.

So what is the story with Finlay Bealham? Why did he not stick around at Ulster way back when. Is this another one we can blame Clarke on?!!!!

Clegg wrote: »
    Ulster look like a side afraid for their lives at taking risks. 15 on 13 with a few metres to go and they don't spin it wide. Decision making is crap too.
    It was panicky stuff. Throwing long cut out passes with a two man advantage is removing that advantage.

So as far as tomorrow is con erned we need Cardiff to beat the Scarlets in Llanelli...that's unlikely.

We need Treviso to beat Glasgow in Italy...never going to happen.

We also need Leinster to beat Munster and to deny them a LBP...well that is possible I suppose.

I think the most we can hope for from our last 3 games is 13 points, however I think we'll probably get 10. Worst case scenario is 5-7 points. I doubt 13 would be enough to get us a top 4 finish, 10 should get us into the Champions Cup, 5-7 might as well given Edinburgh have trips to Munster and Leinster in their last 3 games.

So in short top 4 is unlikely but there is still plenty to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

9427435.jpg?354

Strangely not one firework to be witnessed. Both looked ordinary, had no clue to do in their position. And then Payne gets motm for his inert performance. Loving it. Maybe Joe was right, they are better hidden at centre

Strangely not one firework to be witnessed. Both looked ordinary, had no clue to do in their position. And then Payne gets motm for his inert performance. Loving it.

I saw him move several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Strangely not one firework to be witnessed. Both looked ordinary, had no clue to do in their position. And then Payne gets motm for his inert performance. Loving it. Maybe Joe was right, they are better hidden at centre

Eh payne created the second Ulster try and was a rock defensively. Connacht have real difficulties scoring in the interpros this season when they play against teams capable of defending. 38 points in 5 games. Also outhalf and goal kicking could be a problem the next few weeks. I would also question the decision making in running the ball so much in their own 22, they seem to end up kicking from 20-30m further back when at times they just need to get out of their own half. Im sure plenty of people will bang on about skill and ambition and other such nonsense but there is a right time and place.

I assumed you were being sarcastic, now I'm not so sure!

That said I'd probably have given PJ man of the match over Payne but Payne definitely looked good at 15!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    I assumed you were being sarcastic, now I'm not so sure!

That said I'd probably have given PJ man of the match over Payne but Payne definitely looked good at 15!
    Billouncer has forgotten his meds again.:D:D:D. I too would have given the motm to PJ or Luke Marshall or even Best before Payne. Browne played well and the team lost a fair bit when he was replaced by Diack. Lutton is a moron at times on the field but did well enough in the scrum against Buckley. Paul Marshall is beyond shyte these days. McCloskey was o.k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement