Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Aldi Thai fishcakes. And while they would be in the oven I decided I'd throw together an apple pie and do 'em together. Nice.
    I got a few freebie cookers at the Harvest Festival at the weekend.

One thing I forgot though. I was in Lidl the other day looking for their macarons, seeing as I had such a disaster 4-5 years ago. So they're a mix. Oh well. But I forgot to do them too today.
    Next time. Raspberry. Should be good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Grilled halloumi salad with roasted garlic, tomatoes & sweet potato with a salted yoghurt dressing. I'm nodding off over my laptop now.

Halloumi!

Fantastic! I had been thinking of making roasted vegetables and cousous for dinner, but couldn't think of what to have with that, but felt it needed something else. Halloumi's just the ticket! :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A sort of Greek Salad with Feta, Olives, peppers, cherry toms and spinich, sprinkled with some oregano.

No carbs so I'm going to be hungry again in an hour! :rolleyes:

03D6D4B0-7C79-44E3-A30C-45EE51E51E7B_zpsbqmm5f16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Halloumi again, but this time in a wrap with smashed roasted tomatoes, spinach, coriander, yoghurt and Frank's.

12108176_10154239626757678_3125680451808111392_n.jpg?oh=37f267d5f800a9e3ce870d630dec4d23&oe=56A2A217

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Pasta in a spinach, yoghurt cheese sauce. So quick and easy!

2n1VZ8q.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Spicy bean & cheese dip with cheat's tortilla chips and the end of yesterday's spinach & coriander.

12112429_10154241315482678_8444314129264548677_n.jpg?oh=57ea907c3141f145e1bda5983f4ba99f&oe=56D08C2C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Spicy bean & cheese dip with cheat's tortilla chips and the end of yesterday's spinach & coriander.

I'd love the recipe for that dip please, looks amazing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Whispered wrote: »
    Pasta in a spinach, yoghurt cheese sauce. So quick and easy!

Yummy... can you share how you did the sauce please?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Yummy... can you share how you did the sauce please?

It's so easy, but I have no measurements. It's a dollop here and a handful there depending on what you have in your fridge. :)

Boiled the pasta as per packet.
    Put fresh spinach into a colander.
    Drained the pasta over the spinach to wilt it.
    Throw it all back into the pot (it'll be a bit wet, that's fine.) on a low heat.
    Put in whatever cheese I had in the fridge. Yesterday we had a mix of cheddar, a dollop of cream cheese and parmasen type hard cheese.
    Stir until all melted then add whatever seasoning you like. I used black pepper and nutmeg.
    Dollop in some Greek yoghurt.

Stir.
    Eat.

It's very very quick and one I know the baby will eat so we have a variation quite often. That's how the yoghurt ended up in there tbh but it works I think. It creates more of a sauce instead of a sticky cheesy ball of pasta. And ups the protein content of the meal.

Also nice with garlic and herbs and some Tomatoes chopped in. Avocado mashed and stirred in with the yoghurt with a bit of lemon zest is good too, but personally I'd avoid too much cheese if using the avocado.

I'd love the recipe for that dip please, looks amazing! :)

1x tin of kidney beans, drained & rinsed
    1x tin of butterbeans, drained & rinsed
    Half an onion, roughly chopped
    1 red chilli, roughly chopped
    Small bunch coriander
    3 fat cloves garlic, cut in half
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp paprika
    Few drops Tabasco
    1 egg
    100g cream cheese
    Salt & pepper to taste

Bung the whole lot into a food processor and blitz until almost, but not quite smooth (I like a little texture still in it).

Preheat oven to 200C. Either serve it in individual bowls or one big one, but either way, fill each bowl halfway with the dip, then add a layer of grated cheddar cheese and a few drops of chipotle sauce (I use Cholula). Add another layer of the bean dip, then finish with more cheese & chipotle. Pop into the oven for about 20 minutes for small dishes or half an hour for one big one, til the cheese is lovely and golden and bubbling. Stir, then serve with tortilla chips.

You can totally use shop-bought but I prefer to make my own from soft tortillas cause they're just nicer, imo. Just cut a tortilla (one big one per person, I use the Aldi garlic & herb ones) into 8 slices like you would a pizza, then layer them on top of eachother and cut into triangles. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bung in the oven with the dip. Keep an eye on them, though, cause they burn incredibly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A rice bowl thingy with cold leftovers. Brown rice, spinach, roast squash, spicy roast chicken, scallions, chedder and some chipotle & tomato salsa that grew in deliciousness hugely between being made yesterday and eaten this morning.

Also I got to use my dressing pot for the first time to bring it in :D I went on a total tupperware bender before starting a new job and look like a sales rep for Sistema wherever I eat lunch

51AMqjqbOJL._SY355_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

3 fart cloves garlic, cut in half
    :eek:

Alun wrote: »
    :eek:

Ha ha ha, will edit now.

Lunch today is the bean dip again, but with crackers instead of tortillas as I've run out of wraps. Was bringing it over to the table there and the crackers all shot off my plate and smashed to bits on the floor :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had a picnic lunch yesterday. Cauliflower rice sushi with roast salmon, wholegrain nasi goreng, boiled eggs, carrot sticks and double chocolate pecan mini loaf.

IMG_20151009_124019_zpsdoizrxnr.jpg

1x tin of kidney beans, drained & rinsed
    1x tin of butterbeans, drained & rinsed
    Half an onion, roughly chopped
    1 red chilli, roughly chopped
    Small bunch coriander
    3 fat cloves garlic, cut in half
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp paprika
    Few drops Tabasco
    1 egg
    100g cream cheese
    Salt & pepper to taste

Bung the whole lot into a food processor and blitz until almost, but not quite smooth (I like a little texture still in it).

Preheat oven to 200C. Either serve it in individual bowls or one big one, but either way, fill each bowl halfway with the dip, then add a layer of grated cheddar cheese and a few drops of chipotle sauce (I use Cholula). Add another layer of the bean dip, then finish with more cheese & chipotle. Pop into the oven for about 20 minutes for small dishes or half an hour for one big one, til the cheese is lovely and golden and bubbling. Stir, then serve with tortilla chips.

You can totally use shop-bought but I prefer to make my own from soft tortillas cause they're just nicer, imo. Just cut a tortilla (one big one per person, I use the Aldi garlic & herb ones) into 8 slices like you would a pizza, then layer them on top of eachother and cut into triangles. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bung in the oven with the dip. Keep an eye on them, though, cause they burn incredibly quickly.

Thanks for that recipe. I just made this for our dinner (we had a rather huge lunch), and that one definitely is a keeper. Very, very yummy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Sausage and lentil soup, topped with grated parmesan.

8r0H4MU.jpg?1

Leftover creamed spinach stirred through leftover brown rice. It sounds as grim as 2 slices of grim on grim toast with low-fat, low salt, spreadable grim but it an unexpected taste sensation. I stuck a big spoon of peanut butter into my spinach last night and it really works.

<3 creamed spinach.

Onion soup and a mini bagel toasted with blue cheese butter.

Like most "brown" food, it looks awful in the photo but it was fookin' delish, man.

12096361_10154249208627678_8641036044829238168_n.jpg?oh=19d6b3f8dcb6d9f801e22aabf0276ca0&oe=5690B262

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Heap of leftover chicken from yesterday's roast to be used up........

Chicken, coleslaw and spinich on white.

3F93C18D-0F9F-44C9-86C7-A744C2F88450_zpskwehwbqu.jpg

Mushrooms and onion in a sour cream, paprika and lemon sauce on top of pasta. With carrot and beetroot salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Crispy aromatic duck pancake, root vegetable crisps and rugby.

IMG_20151018_152240_zps2rghz1vc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I made my usual tomato, basil and mozzarella salad and it was rank. I made it last night for today and it was a soggy mess :(

We had an experimental lunch of 'hash brown cups'. A case of grated potato & onion is filled with a mixture of beaten eggs, creme fraiche and cooked bacon, then topped with a little parmesan and cheddar. They were savage and were nearly leaping out of the muffin tin.

P9j8KXy.jpg?1

I had a bowl of vegetable soup and 2 slabs of extra garlicky crostini, topped with lots of fresh tomatoes and Spanish olive oil. Now it's time for a few cups of scald with a tunnock's tea cake.

We had an experimental lunch of 'hash brown cups'. A case of grated potato & onion is filled with a mixture of beaten eggs, creme fraiche and cooked bacon, then topped with a little parmesan and cheddar. They were savage and were nearly leaping out of the muffin tin.

Wow - that's a brilliant idea. I might give that a try sometime soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Soup containing spinach, carrot, onion and tomatoes.
    Very sloppy Lasagne.
    Broccoli.
    I was going to have the apple for dessert but it was mushy.
    4cff087eb3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I did not plan my day well today at all. Just had strawberries and blueberries with greek yogurt for lunch and all i wanted was a big bag of chipper chips :(

My penance for roasting potatoes in goose fat and then waffling them up in butter over the weekend was buckwheat, carrots & kale. Feast thine eyes upon my box of grimslaw. Unfortunately, for penitence purposes, the kale was unbelieveably* tasty, steamed it and then tossed it in lime juice, peanut butter & chili oil. All the curly bits got clogged up with flavour.

kZTa7qT.jpg?1

*to me, I couldn't believe it would taste like anything more than green. I'm sold on kale. Going to kale chip the rest of the bag this evening.

More kale & buckwheat. This time with added almonds & turkey. For the first time in ages after lunch I am stuffed. Might have found the secret to not eating lumps out of my desk in the afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Toulouse sausage cassoulet. Got bored waiting for it to cook yesterday and filled up on gyoza (frozen, and almost as good as mine) and crudités, which is why I didn't have it for dinner. My hand slipped a bit when I was putting the wine in so it was all winey and herby and yum.

Advertisement