Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Crap on Adams, Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I really couldn't care less whether he was or wasn't, and consider it to be irrelevant.

The difference is we know he was in the IRA but we cannot understand why he wont admit it like McGuinness did. A continuous lie does not inspire admiration or trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The difference is we know he was in the IRA but we cannot understand why he wont admit it like McGuinness did. A continuous lie does not inspire admiration or trust.

Until somebody can prove he was in it then there's no grounds to label him a continuous liar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

By dropping her case against the alleged rapist she has done her case and her chance of justice tremendous harm.
    This will just become another round of hurling unproveable allegations.

Until somebody can prove he was in it then there's no grounds to label him a continuous liar

Ah stop, we all know. He is a liar.

He was an IRA member and he might be liable for 2 years prison (under legislation that followed the GFA). It would be highly unlikely that Mr Adams would be prosecuted or that a judge would impose a custodial sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Tip of the iceberg for Adams and his cohorts in regards how many other stories of this nature are due to come out. The parallels with this story regarding the IRA/Sinn Fein and the Church are glaring. I suppose this is an appropriate time to use the Sinn Fein/IRA term. Both are like conjoined twins in this instance. No hiding this fact.

• Advertisement

He was an IRA member and he might be liable for 2 years prison (under legislation that followed the GFA). It would be highly unlikely that Mr Adams would be prosecuted or that a judge would impose a custodial sentence.

But how do you know? There's absolutely no evidence.

If there was there's no doubt he'd be prosecuted. They'd love to get him.

I like to deal in facts and evidence, not hearsay and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't know he is a liar, I suspect he might be but I don't know it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

what a virtuous bunch of people who can tell if someone is lying, without ever meeting or talking to him directly. amazing.

Gossip seems to be the evidence when it comes to Adams et al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

maccored wrote: »
    what a virtuous bunch of people who can tell if someone is lying, without ever meeting or talking to him directly. amazing.

Im pretty sure he is lying . Don't need to meet him

• Advertisement

I know a Siobhan O'Hanlon (her cousin) is involved in this, is Ellis O'Hanlon related and involved in this too?
    She is doing an awful lot of tweeting about it.

Sure. I have done this argument before and I am tired of it, let me just be happy in my own "beliefs" so...in any case I will only vote for SF after he is gone.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I know a Siobhan O'Hanlon (her cousin) is involved in this, is Ellis O'Hanlon related and involved in this too?
    She is doing an awful lot of tweeting about it.

Siobhan (RIP) is Eilis' sister. Their mother was Joe Cahill's sister.

Siobhán and Eilis didn't speak, even after Siobhan was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Eilis is a bitter woman with an axe to grind

he must be then, since you are 'pretty sure he is lying'. Im sure you have all the relevant facts at hand from which to make your decision (not).
    raymon wrote: »
    Im pretty sure he is lying . Don't need to meet him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

he must be then, since you are 'pretty sure he is lying'. Im sure you have all the relevant facts at hand from which to make your decision (not).

I listened to the woman's account. It makes sense. Adams was asked to meet her because she had been allegedly raped by a senior IRA volunteer. Adams agreed to meet her.

Adams now says that they didn't discuss the fact that she was raped.

it just doesn't add up - he is lying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Siobhán and Eilis didn't speak, even after Siobhan was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

I had forgotten about the O'Hanlon connection, the real picture is emerging now.

She seems to be very much behind Maria in this. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

McGuinness was convicted of IRA membership in the early 1970s and so has to admit he was a member of it really. Adams was never convicted of membership. However, McGuinness also says he left the IRA in the mid-1970s, a story which is also pretty unlikely.

Personally, I agree with Henlars above. Whether Adams was in the IRA is largely irrelevant, it matters no more than Rabbitte's and Gilmore's associations with the Official IRA back in the 1980s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Vincent brown last night, the height of hypocrisy.

Saying the dogs in the street knew about Adams and this rape case just like the states cover up of the catholic church.

Well Vincent if the dogs in the street knew about the catholic churches abuses why didn't you as a reporter blow the lid on the whole affair?????

I had forgotten about the O'Hanlon connection, the real picture is emerging now.

Siobhán, who by all accounts was hated by her sister Eilis, was a close friend of Gerry Adams.

• Advertisement

I dont doubt the woman is telling the truth about the abuse. Outside of that I'm not too sure as I still dont understand why she abandoned the court case, and why the case is now being tried by media rather than a court.

Even the documentary said no-one knows the complete truth bar ms cahill and the man accused. good to see you have supernatural powers of knowing things.
    raymon wrote: »
    I listened to the woman's account. It makes sense. Adams was asked to meet her because she had been allegedly raped by a senior IRA volunteer. Adams agreed to meet her.

Adams now says that they didn't discuss the fact that she was raped.

it just doesn't add up - he is lying

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Even the documentary said no-one knows the complete truth bar ms cahill and the man accused. good to see you have supernatural powers of knowing things.

Her claim is that Adams discussed the issue with her. He says he didn't. Why would she lie about that? She isn't saying that Adams knows the full truth of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I never said that was my only reason but I will not vote for FG/Lab/FF for several other reasons. The question is would SF put their money where their mouth is.

I would be worried that they would put my money where their mouth is.

Why would he lie though? And why is it in the media now, years after the court case - which she pulled out of? I dont understand that.
    walshb wrote: »
    Her claim is that Adams discussed the issue with her. He says he didn't. Why would she lie about that? She isn't saying that Adams knows the full truth of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Didn't he say something similar when asked about a lad beaten to death by 10 Provos a while back .
    after the victim was involved in a fight with a local ra head

I think you may have some facts wrong here.
    Adams doesn't deny he discussed the issue...it is her version of the discussion that he disagrees with.

Why would he lie though? And why is it in the media now, years after the court case - which she pulled out of? I dont understand that.

Because he would not want people knowing that this happened and he knew of it and did nothing. That is why he would deny it. Him admitting it is true is quite a damning thing. The girl was 16 when the abuse happened, wasn't she?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think you may have some facts wrong here.
    Adams doesn't deny he discussed the issue...it is her version of the discussion that he disagrees with.

Ok, I assumed that he denied that they discussed anything to do with sexual abuse? So, what did they discuss? I guess he thinks one thing and she thinks another.

Ok, I assumed that he denied that they discussed anything to do with sexual abuse? So, what did they discuss? I guess he thinks one thing and she thinks another.
    In his RTÉ interview, Mr Adams said if there was an IRA investigation as alleged by Ms Cahill, it was totally wrong.
    “I met Máiria in good faith, at the behest of her cousin and my late friend Siobhán O’Hanlon who was concerned for Máiria ’s welfare. My sole reason to meet her was to help.
    “I am personally horrified at the allegation that I would make the comments Máiria has attributed to me.
    “That the BBC would broadcast that allegation, without any attempt at balance whatsoever, is reprehensible. I would never make such remarks to anyone, much less an alleged victim of abuse.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/woman-appalled-at-adams-denial-of-her-account-of-rape-conversations-1.1966897

• Advertisement

As the SF leader, Im not too sure what you think he could have done to an IRA member
    Because he would not want people knowing that this happened and he knew of it and did nothing. That is why he would deny it. Him admitting it is true is quite a damning thing. The girl was 16 when the abuse happened, wasn't she?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement