Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Mick55 wrote: »
    Got green lights. The guy was a header, kept slamming on the brakes and gesticulating out the window the whole way up the road. I went straight at the next junction and he went left towards Charlestown,made a point of stopping and giving me the finger out the window as I passed. Balkan, ex-army looking guy!!! Decided it was best to keep going haha :pac:

Going to contact the Gardai about it? Seems like extremely aggressive driving from him forcing you to choose between braking sharply and letting him in or to hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Caliden wrote: »
    Going to contact the Gardai about it? Seems like extremely aggressive driving from him forcing you to choose between braking sharply and letting him in or to hit him.

I was thinking about it, I think I read here before that I'll have to actually go in and make a statement about it. Any idea if this is the case? It was well out of order what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I was thinking about it, I think I read here before that I'll have to actually go in and make a statement about it. Any idea if this is the case? It was well out of order what he did.

I don't mean to sound smart but did you do anything earlier on down the M50 that would have antagonized him?

It seems a bit excessive the way he abruptly cut in front of you like that and slammed on the brakes and then gave you the finger as well.

I'm not saying this is justified under any circumstance but I'm wondering if you might have done something earlier to piss him off? (even unknowingly)

If I had to cut infront of somebody last second like that I'd be mortified knowing I was in the wrong, let alone slamming on my brakes and making a point of giving you the finger! :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ION08 wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound smart but did you do anything earlier on down the M50 that would have antagonized him?

Some people are just like that, I had a guy do similar to me on the M11 yesterday, and then I seen him tap on the brakes and straddle the two lanes in an attempt to piss off the Merc who had already started an overtake when he went to pull out in front of him. Some people are just a$$hats. They don't need to be pushed towards being an a$$hat.

It seems a bit excessive the way he abruptly cut in front of you like that and slammed on the brakes and then gave you the finger as well.

I'm not saying this is justified under any circumstance but I'm wondering if you might have done something earlier to piss him off? (even unknowingly)

If I had to cut infront of somebody last second like that I'd be mortified knowing I was in the wrong, let alone slamming on my brakes and making a point of giving you the finger! :o

No had no dealings with him before he cut in front of me. There were no cars behind me in the slip road and I could see him coming for a good while behind me. With the speed he was doing I was sure he was heading out the N2. I wouldn't even mind but as I said there was NO cars behind me in the slip lane, it would have been so much easier to just ease up on the juice and fall in behind me. Traffic was lighter than usual too, most mornings there does be a tail back and where the incident happened does be at a standstill, so he should have been happy traffic was lighter than normal!

Some people though are just reckless and have no regard for rules or other peoples safety, these people have no place being on public roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No had no dealings with him before he cut in front of me. There were no cars behind me in the slip road and I could see him coming for a good while behind me. With the speed he was doing I was sure he was heading out the N2. I wouldn't even mind but as I said there was NO cars behind me in the slip lane, it would have been so much easier to just ease up on the juice and fall in behind me. Traffic was lighter than usual too, most mornings there does be a tail back and where the incident happened does be at a standstill, so he should have been happy traffic was lighter than normal!

Some people though are just reckless and have no regard for rules or other peoples safety, these people have no place being on public roads.

Report his ass, he deserves no thinking about, he didn't think about what could have happened. Ignorant pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Grand clear view of his number at 0:06. You can report him to traffic watch initially : http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=111&Lang=1

If you wish it to be taken to court, then you will have to make a statement, which involves going to a garda station, but it's not a very big deal - they're mostly open 24/7 ;)

Thoie wrote: »
    Grand clear view of his number at 0:06. You can report him to traffic watch initially : http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=111&Lang=1

If you wish it to be taken to court, then you will have to make a statement, which involves going to a garda station, but it's not a very big deal - they're mostly open 24/7 ;)

Cool, thanks for the info. Does anyone think there will be an issue with the time stamp on the vid? It says xmass day 2011!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thoie wrote: »
    Actually, fewer and fewer of them are open 24/7. I gave a statement to a Traffic Corps Garda in Terenure recently. I arrived at 8.30pm, but by the time I was leaving after 9.00 pm, the public office had shut and I had to leave by the back door.

But either way, you're right to say it's not a big deal, and it is worth doing in cases like this. Even if nothing ever goes to Court, the driver will have to deal with a Garda landing at the door, and when he denies everything, the Garda will tell him that it's recorded on video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Would the video be admissible in court? In UK you need a special type of camera afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Would the video be admissible in court? In UK you need a special type of camera afaik

You need forensic cards and software for still images, the forensic photographer has software on his camera that records the data that can be later matched in court or verified beforehand to be an untampered image for evidence purposes.

I understand that the same process can be used with video.

The point is that the offended driver makes a complaint, he will testify to that in affidavit and present his dashcam video in support. These dashcams are not forensic tools, but will be weighted in the judgment.

If you are in the video production business as the offended party, then I suspect it may carry less weight. But they are usually taken seriously but as far as I know, an offender cannot be convicted on them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

... Big intimidating foreign type driving, Slovakia sticker on the back of the car...
    ... Balkan, ex-army looking guy!!! Decided it was best to keep going haha pacman.gif...

The Balkans have a bad enough rep already without having to take responsibility for Slovak driving

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Maybe we should all post the few minutes before the incident before we all start reporting people with very trimmed clips? For example, that last roundabout video that was posted. If he trimmed that from where he enters the roundabout the passat looks like he should be up in court even though he was completely in the right.

A guy would easily have reported me last week on the M4 thinking I'm a lunatic and wreckless after I undertook him, as he flashed and beeped me. But he was totally ignorant to the fact he drove from Dublin to past Kinnegad blocking the overtaking lane.

josip wrote: »
    The Balkans have a bad enough rep already without having to take responsibility for Slovak driving

Duly noted and retracted, no excuse for generalization.
    gutteruu wrote: »
    Maybe we should all post the few minutes before the incident before we all start reporting people with very trimmed clips?

A guy would easily have reported me last week on the M4 thinking I'm a lunatic and wreckless after I undertook him, as he flashed and beeped me. But he was totally ignorant to the fact he drove from Dublin to past Kinnegad blocking the overtaking lane.

Footage deleted by now, SD card wiped and put back in dash cam, you'll just have to take my word for it!

Did you undertake dangerously and cut the driver off like in my video? If so then he should report you by rights, weather he hogged the overtaking lane or not. Two wrongs don't make a right.

josip wrote: »

The key word here is "looking".

He could easily have been an African looking guy with a Slovakian sticker.

Thanks for the lesson in Geography all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Take a look at this goon of a woman. Reverses into another car, all on a busy high street and drives off.

I went back to the Astra, passenger was back then and i left my details, we looked at the bumper and it had been pushed out of place and scratched too.

On a side note, I can't help but laugh everytime at the Yaris nipping in and stealing her spot, she was raging! :D

Take a look at this goon of a woman. Reverses into another car, all on a busy high street and drives off.

I went back to the Astra, passenger was back then and i left my details, we looked at the bumper and it had been pushed out of place and scratched too.

On a side note, I can't help but laugh everytime at the Yaris nipping in and stealing her spot, she was raging! :D

Brilliant, this is why I love dash cams. Fair play for stopping, its so annoying that people do this so often and think nothing of it. Ah it was only a bump, they wont mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

But sure a light car park knock was ok I thought according to another thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I was approaching a roundabout today, and the driver behind me , who was proceeding straight ahead, moved into the right hand lane, so that he could overtake me on the roundabout. Also he didn't bother his ass indicating, either :mad:

Just on this situation, I head down the fonthill road most days and if anyone one knows it, there is a similar roundabout to this at the industrial estate where Powercity is. Two lanes up to roundabout, left lane left turn only and right lane for straight through or right turn.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.348424,-6.405581,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbvyCY9rkaxEanWqo7PDfgg!2e0?hl=en

Now I don't mind people skipping the queue and using the bus lane if they're heading left in to the industrial estate but you get the usual 'my time in too valuable to queue' driver who uses the left lane and goes on straight cutting across the correct driver who is in the right lane.

I've had a few close calls with drivers here and I've often wondered if I hit a car sneaking in from my left who is in the wrong. Should the driver on left always give right of way to cars to their right, if I hit his passenger door am I at fault because I hit his car as opposed to him hitting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Just on this situation, I head down the fonthill road most days and if anyone one knows it, there is a similar roundabout to this at the industrial estate where Powercity is. Two lanes up to roundabout, left lane left turn only and right lane for straight through or right turn.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.348424,-6.405581,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbvyCY9rkaxEanWqo7PDfgg!2e0?hl=en

Now I don't mind people skipping the queue and using the bus lane if they're heading left in to the industrial estate but you get the usual 'my time in too valuable to queue' driver who uses the left lane and goes on straight cutting across the correct driver who is in the right lane.

I've had a few close calls with drivers here and I've often wondered if I hit a car sneaking in from my left who is in the wrong. Should the driver on left always give right of way to cars to their right, if I hit his passenger door am I at fault because I hit his car as opposed to him hitting me.

You're always supposed to avoid a collision and simply driving into someone and saying "they were in the wrong!" won't cut it sadly.

Now if you were to accelerate and they hit you, then you would be alright I'd say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

eBay can be hit or miss for this kind of thing if you're getting cheap-ish stuff

the one in Lidl from today looks good plus has the 3 year warranty
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-EF5B61B5-BF8AB832/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=9656

you'll need to buy a memory card for it as well, that's another €20-30 if you get one on ebay or amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This footage seems bad but isn't but still be warned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

typical of people at the square, at the very start you see someone walking in front of traffic that has a green light, then after you move on you can see people randomly crossing the road a few yards from the proper crossing point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ken wrote: »
    This footage seems bad but isn't but still be warned

Did the bike end up in the car? Or why did the camera move away as the car moved away and pulled in?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

RainyDay wrote: »
    Did the bike end up in the car? Or why did the camera move away as the car moved away and pulled in?

The rider ended up on the roof of the car, camera is attached to his helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

RainyDay wrote: »

The biker himself ended up on top of the car. The bike is under the car that rear ended them. I don't think the car in front realised there was a man on their roof. Sore one I'm sure. A very similar thing happened my Dad a few years back.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

:confused:

all I see is someone opening their door as the OP approaches, then someone breaking a red light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

BMJD wrote: »
    :confused:

all I see is someone opening their door as the OP approaches, then someone breaking a red light

I think RainyDay was referring to Ken's video rather than the one they actually quoted.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement