Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Eyre Square Centre must have a full time signwriter on its payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

P.B gibbons electrical is now open in the town park center on the Tuam road where Costello and Gibbons used to be before they closed last year. They sell electrical supplies to both the trade and the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The former Gourmet Tart Co on Henry Street is getting a makeover at the moment. Don't know what for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Tommy hilfigher has a sign in the window saying closed until further notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Folks here will be delighted, because Galway has a serious shortage of them, a new coffee shop is opening up on Sea Road between Massimo and the Secret Garden :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,780 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Site where Forster St Fish and Chips was must have something going in: serious amount of ripping out going on in there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Martin divily butchers finally opened today at midday at dunnes on the headFord road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Galway city council are recognising the overflow of coffee shops and cafés in the city centre and are doing something to combat it...........

.............said no one , ever

http://www.connachttribune.ie/breaking-news/29789-plans-approved-to-change-former-city-bank-space-to-cafe-use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

LA salsa on Mainguard are gone .... signs pulled down and stripping the place bare this morning. Allthough next door Mala bag shop are opening up....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

LA salsa on Mainguard are gone .... signs pulled down and stripping the place bare this morning. Allthough next door Mala bag shop are opening up....

Ooh, I wonder if Boojum opening up had an impact on their business there...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 LMellows

La Salsa never hooked the hipster crowd :( rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Place was a disaster before Boojum arrived and that's from a once faithful customer.

Allthough next door Mala bag shop are opening up....

Moving from Lower Abbeygate St.

New beautician type place on the start of Bohermore, between the two hairdressers.

And another new place being kitted out in Dominic St beside the Bierhaus (where the cycle shop used to be) - sign inside says opening April, not sure exactly what sort, maybe some sort of cafe or takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It had a 'closed for renovations reopening Friday' (or something similar) sign up for the last few days, but as you say the place is now gutted and the sign is gone.
    Let's hope the builders didn't take the sign down by mistake and started another rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

westgolf wrote: »
    more of a rebranding than a new opening, the mauds ice cream outlet next to salthill amusements is now the creamery and the old hanover tyres outlet is also rebranded

westgolf

Is it a golf shop now or still doing tyres? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Is it a golf shop now or still doing tyres? :confused:

"westgolf" is the poster's username.

All stock removed from Hynes' shoe shop on Abbeygate St. Shop fittings (shelving, till etc) still in place, but all "stuff" tidily removed. No signs up on the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Yeah I think it's kinda sad he does that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Ah right, seems kinda pointless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

D Trent wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's kinda sad he does that

I'm not sure why that matters? bugs me more when a poster hijacks a thread with a totally irrelevant opinion.

Once again, a request to keep this thread ticking along on topic please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

antoobrien wrote: »
    Interesting one on GBFM

Applegreen may open on the former site of Hanley motors. There used to be a filling station there years ago (Maxol I think) and they will be completely modernising the site.

The proposal is to demolish at least some of the existing buildings (it's not clear if this includes the showrooms), construct new shops offices & car wash as well as put in new storage tanks & 4 pumps.

This has been granted PP, and according to the tribune (not online) is due to open later this year.

This should open by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

All stock removed from Hynes' shoe shop on Abbeygate St. Shop fittings (shelving, till etc) still in place, but all "stuff" tidily removed. No signs up on the window.
    Gone in Galway Shopping Centre too I've been told.... correct me if wrong. All the fitting still in Lower Abbeygate street though this morning still so maybe go bust and reopen again job.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

There's a new charity shop beside Sweetie Pies on Middle Street. I've never actually heard of the charity concerned nor can I remember the name suffice to say they have a sign on the window that says all donations welcome.

Rumours removed, gossip is not the purpose of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Revive Cafe (?) I think it was opposite Ti Neachtain has a couple of signs in the window saying:

"Coming soon: Latin Quarter Bistro & Wine Bar".

A lot of work going on inside it at the time too.

Does anyone know how exactly the Townhouse got so dreadfully ruined by the floods yet everywhere else in the area, even next door, opened fairly soon after?

Not suggesting anything untoward, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

LMellows wrote: »
    Does anyone know how exactly the Townhouse got so dreadfully ruined by the floods yet everywhere else in the area, even next door, opened fairly soon after?

I posted up recently about the Health & Fitness place in Raven Terrace - the story I was told was that the floor in that place took a worse battering than surrounding businesses and hence it hasn't re-opened.

Although there's a for lease sign above that door now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

They have a bigger footprint to refurbish than most of the surrounding businesses that had to be closed and more in the way of electronics e.g. the coolers & fridges that go along with pubs - which would have been mostly at/around ground level.

Who knows how much of the flooring had to be rebuilt, it may have been more than just the surface . There's also a good chance that a fair bit of the bit of the electrics/wiring on the ground floor was damaged and would need to be replaced and this would be a bigger job than the neighbouring business that reopened quickly.

They could also be using it as a chance to do work that otherwise wouldn't get done for a while, as it's one of the quieter times of the year for them.

You do know that pubs have cellars, right?

• Advertisement

You do know that pubs have cellars, right?
    I do yes, having worked in a few. Although never in any where a flooded cellar would wreck this much havoc. And given the state of the place if you look in, it's much more than the cellar that is being repaired.

Great input though, fair play to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement