Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

im wondering what recorded radar track looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

FilmOnTV website also has it. Use the drop down UK Live TV channels on the left. An easy way to watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4,5 etc. Works well for those who don't have Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

No more infractions to be handed out its only bans from no on tonight.

1. Stay on topic.

2. Stand by what you are saying if you cant dont post.

EDIT: From now on Conspiracy Theories go in the Conspiracy Theories forum. Any Conspiracy Theories posted in thread will result in a weeks ban from A&A.

Anyone questioning this decision or any Mod decision will lead to an Infraction immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

sopretty wrote: »
    The programme would be the over by the time I'd have managed to google and install lol. Thanks though.

Just take your viewing card out..

Or add Channel Five+1 and watch it at ten.Worth doing.. ITV, itv HD etc available too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

ok, I have allowed myself to think about this being a planned takeover of the plane with a view to land it (I still 100% doubt thats the case).

If we were to buy into the fact that it was flying for 5 hours after last contact, should they therefore only be looking at the outer areas of that circle above? ie. It didnt spend 5 hours doing circuits somewhere, it would have been traveling in a straight line.

I dont believe for a second Iranians could do this (although they certainly need new planes!), but Somalia is in that area, didnt some official describe one of the false passport holders as Mario Balotelli? Did they stop getting a buzz from hijacking ships?

Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Siberia are all scarcely populated wastelands....with careful planning and logistics could someone have built a makeshift runway? No one around to see them, no satellites would be covering that area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

sully2010 wrote: »
    I never once alluded to that, get your facts straight

You think its possible the pilots did it.

Your reasoning for this seems to be that you think its strange a 53 year old pilot would have a simulator in his house.

What other reasoning do you have for believing its possible the pilots deliberately did it?

From what I can see you have a conspiracy theory, as you have no evidence to back up this possibility that the pilots deliberately did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

relaxed wrote: »

Your reasoning for this seems to be that you think its strange a 53 year old pilot would have a simulator in his house.

What other reasoning do you have for believing its possible the pilots deliberately did it?

From what I can see you have a conspiracy theory, as you have no evidence to back up this possibility that the pilots deliberately did it.

The transponder was manually turned off and the plane flew for hours along known flightpaths. It's obvious that it was 'taken over' by a pilot.

Not trying to pick a row or anything :)), but come on, he wouldnt be the first to suspect the pilots, so what? There is no disrespect meant if someone asked could the pilots be liable. Lots of Ct's flying around, so what ?
    lots of questions are being asked at the moment. I dont think its any harm., If the mods do, Im sure they will act upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm just totally baffled that this aircraft has disappeared off the face of the earth.

It's a bit unsettling TBH, for those of us who think we are being tracked every minute of the day by The likes of GCHQ, satellite intelligence, military and civilian radar, phone, email and internet monitoring, and all the rest of it.

Something's just not right.

Wiki leaks where are you....? They probably know more about this than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Speaking from my own background I hate blaming pilots infact I never do, it's such an easy thing to do and the phrase ''pilot error'' always grinds my gears because in nearly all those cases the pilots training can account for the fact they made errors so again blaming the pilot is the easy answer when there are no answers.

What is a major bit of evidence for me now is the last reported flight level, FL295 - Allowing 500ft for traffic clearance when in receipt of no clearance, if terrorists were in control they would more then likely ignore this as on 9/11 there was at least one incident of near miss with UA93 descending through flight levels with no clearance. But it seems now somebody was in the flight deck with both crew making demands and I back this up with;

1) If either pilot wanted to commit suicide they would have over the Gulf of Thailand (why travel 5hrs to do it?) - The fact the aircraft disappeared before contacting Ho Chi Minh is another bit of evidence, I believe that's when somebody gained access to the flight deck - as again it is uncommon for a pilot to leave the flight deck during a handover.

2) The new evidence shows the plane was relatively in a controlled state, giving clearance for other aircraft with a 500ft buffer zone (Last recorded alt now FL295).

It's clear now in my opinion it was a sabotage event of some sort, my own personal belief is by a person(s) influencing both crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭RoryMac

IF the stories today are true that the plane did fly for 5 hours and the transponders were turned off at separate times added to contact being cut straight after the transfer from Malaysia ATC and no reports from the plane of issues it would it not point to some member of the flight crew being involved?

FWIW I don't find the pilot having a simulator strange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The flight sim is no support for any pilot centric theories. It is completely irrelevant.

The key point is this: indications such as we have suggest the flight was deliberately being flown by someone who knew what they were doing. If the flight sim never existed, the list of possible candidates doing that would still include the guy with the flight sim even if he didn't have a flight sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

RoryMac wrote: »
    IF the stories today are true that the plane did fly for 5 hours and the transponders were turned off at separate times added to contact being cut straight after the transfer from Malaysia ATC and no reports from the plane of issues it would it not point to some member of the flight crew being involved?

FWIW I don't find the pilot having a simulator strange

But if the plane flew for 5 hours from the 'last known location', and was detected then by satellites ,we'll say 3000 miles away?, why are they not reducing the search area, to limit the search to account for the fact that the aircraft only has fuel for a 1 hour journey now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this image being shown by cnn
    https://twitter.com/RodrigoEBR/status/444586705824124928
    so still no idea really

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I really don't need to keep repeating myself as you seem to keep doing, I made my points a few posts ago with facts on how it "could" be the pilots. Please read them. A few subsequent posts also give a few pointers as to how it could be.

If the plane did go down somewhere in the Indian Ocean, the chances are that debris could be found by washing ashore sooner than being discovered in the ocean. With each day that goes by, any floating debris would be floating further and further away from the main wreckage at the bottom of the ocean, thus making it extremely hard to locate. It would be a race against time as the underwater locator beacon battery lasts only 30 days and we are nearly a week into that 30 day period already. I'm sure that ocean currents are being studied carefully in the knowledge that if/when debris is found, they won't have much time to locate the wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

If the plane did go down somewhere in the Indian Ocean, the chances are that debris could be found by washing ashore sooner than being discovered in the ocean. With each day that goes by, any floating debris would be floating further and further away from the main wreckage at the bottom of the ocean, thus making it extremely hard to locate. It would be a race against time as the underwater locator beacon battery lasts only 30 days and we are nearly a week into that 30 day period already. I'm sure that ocean currents are being studied carefully in the knowledge that if/when debris is found, they won't have much time to locate the wreckage.

Depending on the depth the boxes pingers will be active for 90 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Speaking from my own background I hate blaming pilots infact I never do, it's such an easy thing to do and the phrase ''pilot error'' always grinds my gears because in nearly all those cases the pilots training can account for the fact they made errors so again blaming the pilot is the easy answer when there are no answers.

What is a major bit of evidence for me now is the last reported flight level, FL295 - Allowing 500ft for traffic clearance when in receipt of no clearance, if terrorists were in control they would more then likely ignore this as on 9/11 there was at least one incident of near miss with UA93 descending through flight levels with no clearance. But it seems now somebody was in the flight deck with both crew making demands and I back this up with;

1) If either pilot wanted to commit suicide they would have over the Gulf of Thailand (why travel 5hrs to do it?) - The fact the aircraft disappeared before contacting Ho Chi Minh is another bit of evidence, I believe that's when somebody gained access to the flight deck - as again it is uncommon for a pilot to leave the flight deck during a handover.

2) The new evidence shows the plane was relatively in a controlled state, giving clearance for other aircraft with a 500ft buffer zone (Last recorded alt now FL295).

It's clear now in my opinion it was a sabotage event of some sort, my own personal belief is by a person(s) influencing both crew.

Why couldn't it be a pilot going rogue for whatever reason? Simplest explanation.

Oh dear, Channel 5 is now pitching an "act of god" theory. Chalk another one up to the list of unlikely's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

The average depth of the Indian Ocean is 4,000m. It will be a miracle if they find the black box in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭RoryMac

sopretty wrote: »
    But if the plane flew for 5 hours from the 'last known location', and was detected then by satellites ,we'll say 3000 miles away?, why are they not reducing the search area, to limit the search to account for the fact that the aircraft only has fuel for a 1 hour journey now?
    I've no idea, that's why asked in my previous post if today's stories(5 hours flight, transponders being turned off) were confirmed by anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭jasT1981

New York times is reporting the flight climbed to 45000 foot, then back down to 23,000 foot, also mentions it dropped 40,000ft in a minute which seems rather weird.

Investigators have also examined data transmitted from the plane’s Rolls-Royce engines that shows it descending 40,000 feet in the space of a minute, according to a senior American official briefed on the investigation. But investigators do not believe the readings are accurate because the aircraft would likely have taken longer to fall such a distance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/malaysia-military-radar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why is there so much hearsay and secrecy. Can the authorities not just join up and supply ALL information, all companies etc. all the information should be in the public domain.

The whole thing stinks IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭snowgal

They are saying in th sky documentary at the mo that the 5 hour flight time thing has been dismissed. All so confusing. Would it be possible for a plane to crash fully in tact into the ocean? If it was going at a slow enough speed could it just sink into the sea?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Why couldn't it be a pilot going rogue for whatever reason? Simplest explanation.

Rogue to do what? I can only speak from evidence I've read about the Captain, a family man, flying with MAS since '81, into fitness/sports and practising normal scheduled flights on days off using his sim. He comes across as a nice individual, well trained, well experienced - After 33 years of flying, the speculation of him allowing a suicide/rogue event to take a place is bull, in my own opinion.

The first officer had just transferred to the 777 after months of training, again he was young - in nearly all suicide events by pilots they are old, he was 27. And going by what I also read on him, had many friends - The pictures surfacing of him with those women in the flight deck shows the type of person he was welcoming amongst other things.

Explaining what happened from IGARI to VAMPI and then GIVAL is the key, a pilot isn't going to fly that sort of route unless, being threatened again in my opinion.

Blaming either pilot - easy answer when there are none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Why is there so much hearsay and secrecy. Can the authorities not just join up and supply ALL information, all companies etc. all the information should be in the public domain.

The whole thing is stinks IMO.

They will reveal a massive hole in their defence systems (countries close to where aircraft flew, or apparently flew).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

The average depth of the Indian Ocean is 4,000m. It will be a miracle if they find the black box in time.

The AF447 FDR and CVR were recovered from 4000m nearly 2 years after the crash.

Regards authorities releasing information, they cannot legally under ICAO Annex 13 when the information is being investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Calina wrote: »
    The flight sim is no support for any pilot centric theories. It is completely irrelevant.

The key point is this: indications such as we have suggest the flight was deliberately being flown by someone who knew what they were doing. If the flight sim never existed, the list of possible candidates doing that would still include the guy with the flight sim even if he didn't have a flight sim.

I agree - the pilot having a simulator is irrelevant and is just a conspiracy theory.

Also his age being 53 is irrelevant and best left to lads that dream of conspiracy theories.

There is now some train of thought that somebody in the know took control of the flight and took it here or there, for unknown reasons, it may have been a pilot under his own initiative, it may have been a pilot with a gun to his head or it may have been a passenger who took control of the plane, or somebody else. We really don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Rogue to do what?

Any number of things.
    If you believe that this plane disappeared at a handover point, then flew at 500 feet below cruise height along waypoints that seem to be staying away from radar coverage then you gotta believe that somebody with flying experience is doing it.
    You can't rule out the pilot on hunches or by looking at pictures of him.
    I am not saying he did it either, but it is certainly possible.

Advertisement