Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Dr Mannix Road update. This is the new layout at the junction with Glenard Road. First pic shows the way it was just before.

283882.jpg

283877.jpg

283879.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The very short red coloured bike path opposite Centra on Newcastle Road, adjacent to the new Uni entrance, is attracting motorists who just, eh, park there. Y'know just for a few minutes when they go to the shop. They used to park on the footpath until the pesky Council erected a guard rail. They appear to or choose to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are blocking a lane.

Be aware that the Council have cut back hedges along the QB stretch and adjacent routes today, sharp ended twigs and branches abound.

Outside G&L?

It is my uneducated guess that illegal parking there (on or near the induction loops) is interfering with the traffic signals. At least that was my speculative conclusion on one occasion when trying to exit NUIG by bike, and the changing of the signals made no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

aye,

i live near the G&L ie Centra, i have seen cars park on the junction box and double yellow line and Pedestrian crossing.(in fact seen garda cars park there from time to time.)
    It is not half as bad it use to be, we use to have delivery lorries park at the end of snipe avenue,blocking the exit or making it very hard to tunr left.

i will take more photos when i get a chance.

2RGT5l6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Gardai are recently hiding behind the bus stop outside Aldi in Westside, pulling in cars that come up that road in the bus lane.

They're pulling the cars into the cycle lane to get details and have a chat. :-/

Walked past there this evening, saw two cars pull out and two more pulled in within 30 seconds. Easy catch for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

its been long day, sorry i meant to reply properly,

The pressure pads for the traffic are not placed anywhere near there. i will take photo's tomorrow when i get a chance. but has alway been big issue of illegal parking by the G& L

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

J o e wrote: »
    Gardai are recently hiding behind the bus stop outside Aldi in Westside, pulling in cars that come up that road in the bus lane.

Excellent news, I'm delighted that they are finally doing that. As you said, easy money! :D

They're pulling the cars into the cycle lane to get details and have a chat. :-/

Walked past there this evening, saw two cars pull out and two more pulled in within 30 seconds. Easy catch for them.

I'm glad to see high-visibility enforcement on the streets of Galway.

As an aside, I have trouble understanding this practice of directing cars onto the footpaths (or in this case cycle lanes) during such operations.

I recall a Motor Tax checkpoint on Rahoon Road several years ago. The cars they had pulled were obstructing the footpath, and a buggy could not get past. They seemed to have little awareness of the effect their actions were having on pedestrians.

I wonder what they do when they catch someone driving on the footpath. Their heads must explode with the unsolveable paradox.

Iwannahurl, I guess they heed your wise words. When I ventured forth at 1730 this very eve, the Garda was at Arch Motors and pulling people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Got to him them end of year stats in the AGS it seems.

• Advertisement

Anyone else observe that approaching Bodkin from Kirwan, the sensor recognises cyclists in the bike lane and gives them the green light first?
    I thought it only activated when there was only a bus/taxi in the lane. It's the little things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone else observe that approaching Bodkin from Kirwan, the sensor recognises cyclists in the bike lane and gives them the green light first?
    I thought it only activated when there was only a bus/taxi in the lane. It's the little things.

Hmm interesting. I saw this light change last night - but I was in the right turn lane going onto the bridge - I was assuming that the advance green just came on anyway if the other lanes were about to go green.

Would be keen to confirm this is actually responding to cyclists.

I passed that way on Nov 17 last in foul weather.

I may have been mistaken -- since visibility was poor in the driving rain -- but I thought I saw cycle-only signals when approaching the new junction from the Kirwan direction. It seems unlikely, so I presume it was an illusion.

Must check it out again.

Hmm interesting. I saw this light change last night - but I was in the right turn lane going onto the bridge - I was assuming that the advance green just came on anyway if the other lanes were about to go green.
    Would be keen to confirm this is actually responding to cyclists.
    If there is nothing in the bus lane or cycle lane, then there is no advance green light for bus/cyclists. I was mildly surprised it was recognising cyclists.
    Try it yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Stop with this nonsense please, cyclists don't have a God given right to make it to the top of the queue at traffic lights. They can wait in line like everyone else when necessary, it's hardly that much of a hardship. You're the one who wants them to be recognised as vehicles anyway. Forced onto footways my arse.

Clearly it is possible and prudent for cyclists to stop wait at various times if safety and courtesy demand.

However if you expect cyclists to be stuck in traffic like all those who choose to use private cars for the same journey - why then should the cyclists bother leaving their cars at home and cycling?

PS the law already explicitly states that cyclists are drivers and bicycles are vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

they need to put lights on their bikes, and get off the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

they need to put lights on their bikes, and get off the footpaths.

Actually the lack of lights are becoming an issue. I can't beleive the numbers of people out there cycling with dark clothing and no lights on the bike during the dark evenings and nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread from Cycling forum about the importance of high visibility [with pictures]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

zarquon wrote: »
    Actually the lack of lights are becoming an issue. I can't beleive the numbers of people out there cycling with dark clothing and no lights on the bike during the dark evenings and nights.

Or like the person I saw this morning - all dark clothes with lights as the front - but no reflective gear (on the person or bike) so couldn't be seen side on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

antoobrien wrote: »
    Or like the person I saw this morning - all dark clothes with lights as the front - but no reflective gear (on the person or bike) so couldn't be seen side on.

I wear a reflective cycling jacket but still nearly got side swiped a few times so got a set of these spoke reflectors... seem to have improved my side-on visibility a lot as I haven't had as much issues since.

• Advertisement

Pimp my ride :cool:

Pimp my ride :cool:

Looks good and saves lives. Double bonus. The spoke reflectors are a great idea as side on visibility can be poor sometimes.

Bike path on SQR is now a de facto car park for some attending the community centre/boxing club.

bk1XDpZl.jpg?1

I pass that section at least 4 times a day and have never seen anyone park on the bike lane before. Still a PITA though and ridiculous behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

zarquon wrote: »
    I pass that section at least 4 times a day and have never seen anyone park on the bike lane before. Still a PITA though and ridiculous behaviour.

Could it be that the poster you quoted is the king of exageration?

Bike path on SQR is now a de facto car park for some attending the community centre/boxing club.

Prior to the SQR modifications the footpath along that stretch was often used as a handy parking spot for motorists attending mass, funerals etc.

I haven't seen it happening since.

Are you saying such illegal parking occurs whenever there are events held in the boxing club? If so, how often does that happen?

BTW, is it my imagination or is that building (or an adjacent one) use for Muslim services? That could be the equivalent of mass, in terms of numbers arriving by car and resultant illegal parking behaviour.

Tis true, prior to the upgrade that was the case.
    It appears it's only the boxing club that attracts this behaviour. It's at least one weekday evening per week

The Islamic services on Fridays attract responsible people who don't cause obstructions for cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Could it be that the poster you quoted is the king of exageration?
    I don't even know what you are doing in this thread since you've already displayed contempt for "love in" threads. But to keep the peace, and for your dig at another poster, I am banning you from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭swine

I fear for the safety of cyclists obstructed by people taking photographs in the cycling lane.

• Advertisement

Big thanks to An Garda and the Council for finally getting their act together and recognising the huge amount of pedestrians that use the Salmon Weir bridge area. They closed off a road and magicked it into a car park for people to abandon their vehicles whilst sitting in church pews. One wonders how this notion was never exercised before.
    Overall all traffic is flowing freely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement