Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The importance of high visibility [with pictures]

Options
  • 18-12-2013 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

got a shock this morning when a cyclist came out of no where onto the malahide road. I was a good few metres away , but had indicated to move from the buslane as I spotted the other cyclists further down than this guy, only spotted him by a thin strip on this helmet - dressed entirely in black - a different day, a different moment and there could be an empty seat at the table this christmas.

This is a pet peeve of mine and something I've npoticed more and more since the cheap bike to work scheme - for whats its worth you can order high vis running bibs, armbands, bag covers, bags etc from RSA, all completely free here:

http://rsa.pmms.ie/ProductDetails.aspx?Option=Group&OptionParameter=HIVIS

anyway rant over - if this post gets throught to one person then it was worth the time I took to write it. :cool:

Heres the stills below - there are 3 cyclists in each photo - take what you will from that!

285038.jpg

285037.jpg

285039.jpg

285040.jpg

Comments

It actually took me about 3 minutes to spot who you were talking about! Point proven really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I stopped at a set of lights directly heading west at sunset (it being perfect daylight, but the sun very low on the horizon) a month or two ago and a van pulled up beside me.
    He wound down the window and said "fair play to you having your lights on, I could see you from the bottom of the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've had a few frights from unlit cyclists recently, almost always on well-lit roads close to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, this should probably go in the Cycling forum rather than the Driver forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, this should probably go in the Cycling forum rather than the Driver forum.

Fair point - I'll throw it up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No need, I've moved this over (it's not usually ok to have the same thread in 2 forums).

biko wrote: »
    No need, I've moved this over (it's not usually ok to have the same thread in 2 forums).

Ok cheers can you remove the other one I set up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

None of those cyclists appear to have any lights.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wow. That certainly makes the point. I went back to the first two pictures after seeing the cyclist in later ones, I still cant spot him. And he has no idea he is that invisible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was taking a series of photos while driving not at least as bad?

• Advertisement

None of those cyclists appear to have any lights.

another point - but having some hiviz at the very least is half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yep, none of them have lights. Forget high vis and get a air (or two pairs) of lights instead, and please, for the love of god, the white light goes at the front, the red at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

another point - but having some hiviz at the very least is half the battle.

Lights are legally required, high vis is not. Cycling with high vis and no lights is like climbing a mountain naked with a helmet on in case you fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

RobFowl wrote: »

It's obviously a dash cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You were doing 50kph in the bus lane?

:rolleyes: good effort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

And that makes it better how ?

Junior wrote: »

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Good lights would make all the difference. I can't understand lads cycling with no lights, passed one of those Ninjas early this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

See this all time unfortunately cycling home from work. First impression are some people are just morons but I believe there are certain cyclists who have no comprehension of needing to use lights and high viz. Its just not on their radar. They may in their eyes just be using the bike for a 5 minute ride to work and think they'll be fine.

Those headlights look familiar MR2?

• Advertisement

droidus wrote: »
    Lights are legally required, high vis is not. Cycling with high vis and no lights is like climbing a mountain naked with a helmet on in case you fall.

I couldn't care less what the law states as long as the person is easily seen, that'll do for me - but lights are so cheap now theres no reason not to use them.
    Junior wrote: »

I assume the last lad was going on the notion that I was using a device while driving - for what its worth I downloaded these stills later

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

droidus wrote: »
    Yep, none of them have lights. Forget high vis and get a air (or two pairs) of lights instead, and please, for the love of god, the white light goes at the front, the red at the back.

The first two cyclists have rear lights of the required colour, ie red.
    Maybe you should take a closer look.

The third guy should fit one asap.

detones wrote: »
    Those headlights look familiar MR2?

top of the class ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You were doing 50kph in the bus lane?

Appears so!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yep and the point still applies.....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How? A dash cam usually records on a loop doesnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

i think it only illustrates the value of a decent set of lights and idiocy of some people on bikes.

The hi-viz is a bit of red herring - it wouldn't stop him pulling silly turns on to main roads.

Oryx wrote: »
    How? A dash cam usually records on a loop doesnt it?

You'd swear he thinks it's like a gun camera. Still, fascinating reactions from some people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Dash cams are not the point of this thread, AFAIK, they generally require no interaction form the driver, and those that do only require you to hit a button within a set time after the incident to save the last bit of data. Any issues please PM me, do not discuss in thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

EDIT: CramCycle beat me to it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement