Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

be da hokey, some piece of road alright :D, thanks for the link.

going to be some serious disruptions at certain times around jack whites, lil doyles and the beehive, but sure wont it all be worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

lottpaul wrote: »
    Mod, any chance of renaming the thread to draw attention to post 614? Could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Quick update (Sorry still haven't had a chance to take some pics)

Most of the work to date has been the clearing of vegetation, with the effort being focused on the section between Arklow Bypass and Barndarrig. This morning they are in the process of shredding (or whatever you call it) the vegetation that has been removed. Machinery that I have counted in operation includes:

6xExcavators
    3x Moxy Trucks
    1x Tractor
    1xBulldozer
    1x Shredder/Crusher (Not sure what its proper name is)

They seem to have completed putting up all the required Red/White safety boundaries as well as creating Work entrances at a good few of marked positions. Drainage channels have also been dug and and areas around the river at Scratenagh bridge have also been cleared.

I have zero construction knowledge so apologise in advance for any of the wrong terminology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

claytonie wrote: »
    Quick update (Sorry still haven't had a chance to take some pics)

Most of the work to date has been the clearing of vegetation, with the effort being focused on the section between Arklow Bypass and Barndarrig. This morning they are in the process of shredding (or whatever you call it) the vegetation that has been removed. Machinery that I have counted in operation includes:

6xExcavators
    3x Moxy Trucks
    1x Tractor
    1xBulldozer
    1x Shredder/Crusher (Not sure what its proper name is)

They seem to have completed putting up all the required Red/White safety boundaries as well as creating Work entrances at a good few of marked positions. Drainage channels have also been dug and and areas around the river at Scratenagh bridge have also been cleared.

I have zero construction knowledge so apologise in advance for any of the wrong terminology :)

took a look around the site at the weekend and got pics of the plant and work in progress.....

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

I don't wish to be negative...but those pics are not appearing on my screen :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Quickelles wrote: »
    I don't wish to be negative...but those pics are not appearing on my screen :confused:

Lovely pics of excavators. Check your proxy settings, the host site (postimg.org) might be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

antoobrien wrote: »
    Lovely pics of excavators. Check your proxy settings, the host site (postimg.org) might be blocked.

It's funny,they appear on my laptop in the post but I have to click on a square when using my iPhone,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 A40D

Thanks for the pics,i had expected to see a bit more plant than that on the job,:confused:

A40D wrote: »
    Thanks for the pics,i had expected to see a bit more plant than that on the job,:confused:

They haven't started any major earthworks yet and it all just seems like preparations before they get going. One thing I noticed this evening was that a dirt access road is now in place about along the path. There is also now a second "Morbark Wood Hog" on site and they seem to have cleared a good bit of vegetation between Jack Whites and Barndarrig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

slickmcvic wrote: »
    It's funny,they appear on my laptop in the post but I have to click on a square when using my iPhone,

The wheat crop looks magnificent - and it's certainly moving faster than the machines! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Any movement on site? It's been a while since since the last post in this thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was the CIF summer holidays for the last two weeks, there hasn't been much movement on this or Newlands due to that. Should be back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Trip from Wexford today
    265792.jpg

265794.jpg

265795.jpg

265796.jpg
    :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It doesn't look like much is happening from those photos. Get a move on!!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

I think they said it would take about 20 months to complete, although I may be wrong. There's a fair amount of work going on and I'm sure if weather continues to be favourable they'll finish a bit early, but I wouldn't be expecting massive changes every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

ITDept wrote: »
    I'm sure if weather continues to be favourable they'll finish a bit early
    Are you referring to the scheme in general? Because as other schemes have shown, the one thing they won't do is finish early. Why? Because there are no early-finish bonuses and they have no other work on!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

serfboard wrote: »
    Are you referring to the scheme in general? Because as other schemes have shown, the one thing they won't do is finish early. Why? Because there are no early-finish bonuses and they have no other work on!

Actually that's not true. There have been a number of road projects scheduled to run for 2 or 3 months longer than they actually did. For example, the Gorey bypass, the M7 resurfacing / improvements near Naas, and the Fermoy bypass all came in slightly ahead as far as I know.

I don't know how the contracts work but my guess would be that they'd get a fixed fee for completing the project. If they can get it done a bit quicker then they don't have to pay out wages etc. for the bit they've shaved off. Only a guess though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All of those projects were during the era of early completion bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The quickest was Kilworth and the Mitchelstown Bypass on the M8. 14 months or something ridiculously quick like that. Its holding up well too, much less subsidence and dipping than any of the other schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Regardless of whether there is a finish-early bonus or not it will still be in BAM's interest to finish as soon as they can.

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether there is a finish-early bonus or not it will still be in BAM's interest to finish as soon as they can.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

serfboard wrote: »
    Why?

Less cost i.e wages, fuel, maintenance etc.

tonc76 wrote: »
    Less cost i.e wages, fuel, maintenance etc.

Wages and fuel are related to the amount of work done. Not time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

MYOB wrote: »
    Wages and fuel are related to the amount of work done. Not time

If it over runs by six months, that's an extra six months wages to be paid. It's in their interest to finish early.

If it over runs by six months, that's an extra six months wages to be paid. It's in their interest to finish early.

If completing early requires more staff, it absolutely isn't.

Penalties or bonuses are the only things that will motivate the required increase in staff and equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

isnt it a bit premature to be talking about this scheme finishing early?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Isn't someone going to be paid for this when its completed, as its a ppp project? So it's in their interest to get it finished ahead of schedule to get the ppp income

Isn't someone going to be paid for this when its completed, as its a ppp project? So it's in their interest to get it finished ahead of schedule to get the ppp income
    You're right of course, so there's the motivation.

Hi all for those looking for progress made to date I have put up a video taken from Jack Whites to the Wicklow Town Dual Carriageway Northbound. I sped it up to 2x the speed so as not to bore but the full 7mins is also up on Youtube if you want to watch it in realtime.

As you can see they its mostly preparatory works that have been done so far but this week the pace seems to be picking up seeing the guys at work already at 7am in the morning. If the videos are of interest to anyone let me know and I will try make a habit of doing one North and South every couple of Weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

claytonie wrote: »
    Hi all for those looking for progress made to date I have put up a video taken from Jack Whites to the Wicklow Town Dual Carriageway Northbound. I sped it up to 2x the speed so as not to bore but the full 7mins is also up on Youtube if you want to watch it in realtime.

As you can see they its mostly preparatory works that have been done so far but this week the pace seems to be picking up seeing the guys at work already at 7am in the morning. If the videos are of interest to anyone let me know and I will try make a habit of doing one North and South every couple of Weeks.

Would be nice to have it...although I am sick of watching this road after 7 years of driving between bray and gorey :)

Advertisement