Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You can play files from a home network without scanning for files.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

DWC wrote: »
    This happens to me all the time now - it's driving me crazy. Can't follow anything anyone is saying as the sound keeps cutting out intermittently. Even had UPC out to change the Horizon box but no joy. They also ran a (very long) test cable from the apartment building connection point directly to my box in the apartment and still the same.

I was getting it sporadically, haven't noticed it in a while now. It seems that it happens more when watching HD channels, and when recording at the same time; but I could be wrong on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Synode,

Can you browse folders and select files?
    Would you mind sharing what is involved.

Thanks
    Synode wrote: »
    You can play files from a home network without scanning for files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Synode,

Can you browse folders and select files?
    Would you mind sharing what is involved.

Thanks
    Go to My Library My devices
    Example
    1) Windows Media Player
    Folders use remote up/down to find title you want press enter and the play

2)Twonky use the same Folders use remote up/down to find title you want press enter and the play

Note both windows media player library and twonky can take a some time before its ready to be streamed depending on how large your library is

Best using folder as its the same as it would be on your computer

Windows Media Player Library
    Set up Windows Media Player Library add folders to Music/Video/Photos
    Stream set to auto allow devices

NEVER LET HORIZON TO SET UP HOME MEDIA LIBRARY
    ONLY SET TO CREATE NETWORK
    THEN OPTION TO SCAN DONT DO IT CLICK EXIT
    If you have done a scan when asked if you want to set up media library
    IMPORTANT you will have to do a factory reset with important part don't keep any settings say no
    If you do a factory reset and keep setting you will still have freezing problem

Twonky the same add folders to its library to be streamed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks a lot Paul for all the detail.

Daft question, I assume the horizon box fully for broadband etc. Current setup is non consolidated.

• Advertisement

My Horizon is consolidated.

I have a NAS attached to the Horizon box and it appears in MyDevices. When I click on it I just navigate through the folders.

You can install Twonky on a laptop/desktop etc and it will set up a folder in your documents. Drop files in the folder and then you should be able to see this folder in MyDevices on the Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

MAJJ wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Paul for all the detail.

Daft question, I assume the horizon box fully for broadband etc. Current setup is non consolidated.
    Its the same but in your case would be join network instead of create network
    Just when you get to network library option skip this and exit

You create library on your pc using what I already mention before
    and this includes any external hard drives connected to your computer

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭onform

Noticed this on the net, still rough going in Holland by the sounds of it.

Taken from:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/06/20/upc-postpones-horizon-firmware-update/

UPC postpones Horizon firmware update

Dutch cable operator UPC has postponed the planned firmware update for the Horizon set-top.

The update was scheduled to take place in June, but UPC posted in the Chelloo users forum the news that the so-called H2 update would not take place in June. A new date could not be named.
    According to the posting, the updates will take longer than expected.
    Dutch UPC customers who complained about the bugs and system faults in the Horizon set-tops are eagerly awaiting the H2 update and the new remote control. Users are not satisfied with the speed, stability and user interface of Horizon.
    The complaints involve both teething problems as well as basic design faults. According to Liberty Global’s latest figures there were 155,000 Horizon boxes in the Dutch market at March 31, 2013.
    As reported by Broadband TV News, UPC Nederland has also stopped automatically providing the Horizon box with all its top-tier products. Customers are now free to choose another set-top.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

How long does a factory reset usually take? It's taken over an hour already, with "Installation" stuck on the box's screen.

I don't think anything is actually happening. Would it be safe to switch it off and on?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    How long does a factory reset usually take? It's taken over an hour already, with "Installation" stuck on the box's screen.

I don't think anything is actually happening. Would it be safe to switch it off and on?

Just switch it off wait for a min then switch it back on, you may have to do it a couple of times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

dalkiadave wrote: »
    Just switch it off wait for a min then switch it back on, you may have to do it a couple of times!

Cheers, that's what I did in the end. Worked first time with no issues. (except lost future recordings)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

So after performing a factory reset and not selecting to scan for media i am still freezing 3 times a day

happened last night at 4:19 i wish i could ssh to the horizon box and see the cron jobs

I think I remember seeing in this thread a while back that there is two types of factory reset - one that keeps settings and one that wipes everything. If you've done the full one and are still having problems, ask UPC to replace the box.

i went to settings and selected Horizon HD+ TV BOX than factory reset how do i do the other fasctory reset ?
    Synode wrote: »
    I think I remember seeing in this thread a while back that there is two types of factory reset - one that keeps settings and one that wipes everything. If you've done the full one and are still having problems, ask UPC to replace the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

yeah over the last few days the wifi range has deteriorated badly.
    I hope they can set this right....

if i could find the port the scan is on maybe able to block it maybe this might help????

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teresa.keogh7

Thank you so much paulboland I did the factory reset as you said but made sure not to let it scan and it hasn't had any audio dropout or freezing pictures since. I even tried an On Demand movie last night and it worked brilliantly, excellent quality picture and sound. I am back to being very impressed by the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well I'm ready to **** the box on the bin. Talked my wife into renting Die Hard, she is strictly a Rom com girl.

1 hour 26 minutes in to it we press pause. Guess what, you can't unpause, fast forward or rewind rented movies.
    So anyone got a torrent for the last 12 minutes?

I'm extremely pissed off.

ted1 That's the one we watched, but I paused and restarted the movie on two occasions that I can remember. And the rewind worked for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got 8060 and 8182 errors,

What happened at the end after the helicopter crashed? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Box wouldn't start tonight so had to unplug. Now wifi not connecting phone to net. Let's see tomorrow.

Edit: Huh. My phone wifi had mysteriously turned off.

ted1 Ring them up and tell them the numbers of the errors you got. They should be able to fix it so you can watch it or, if not, credit your account.

Were you watching Die Hard 4.0 or the fifth one. I was watching the 5th one, helicopter explosion in that is at the very end. It's a bit earlier in 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PacificRooster

Horizon box has settled down and I'm getting used to the layout etc, no issues with hanging or freezing for a week so good news there.

Overall the set-up is not as intuitive as previous box/remote , i.e. having to press back 4 or 5 times to get out of menus to get back to the TV is irritating instead of once on old box/remote.

A new problem with phonecall has appeared - maybe a one off - the receiver couldn't hear the end of some my words.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How much does the Horizon box cost?

If you are signing up as a new customer, is the Horizon box included by default or do you have to pay extra for it?

bk wrote: »
    How much does the Horizon box cost?

If you are signing up as a new customer, is the Horizon box included by default or do you have to pay extra for it?

The Horizon box is only on trial at the moment with c1,200 existing customers and not available as an option to new customers yet. The trial I guess is to iron out some (alot?) of issues.

2 packs were on offer:
    Horizon Essential 50Mb Bundle €68.50
    •Select Extra TV including Horizon.
    Over 90 channels and all the
    benefits of Horizon TV•Unlimited Fibre Powered 50Mb•Home Phone with Anywhere 100
    100 FREE minutes ANYTIME to
    Irish mobiles, landlines and
    selected fixed line international
    destinations

Horizon Complete 100Mb Bundle €78.50
    •Max TV including Horizon
    Over 110 channels and all the
    benefits of Horizon TV•Unlimited Fibre Powered 100Mb•Home Phone with Anywhere 100
    100 FREE minutes ANYTIME to
    Irish mobiles, landlines and
    selected fixed line international
    destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

ted1 wrote: »
    I got 8060 and 8182 errors,

What happened at the end after the helicopter crashed? ;)
    Both are On Demand errors:
    Error 8060 seems to be an error for trick play.
    Error 8182 the box cannot connect to the On Demand session server.
    Trick play commands goes over the server and both errors seems to be related.

If you retry to play that movie, you must be able to see the end :D

Overall the set-up is not as intuitive as previous box/remote , i.e. having to press back 4 or 5 times to get out of menus to get back to the TV is irritating instead of once on old box/remote.

Yeah, that's one of the things that annoys me most.

For instance, if you're reading a story in one of the apps, you have to hit Back 6 times to get back to watching TV. (You could also hit the Live TV button twice, but that will switch channels and switch back, so you'll lose any 'paused' content).

In some scenarios, you can even get stuck in a loop, where Back takes you from the 'channel menu' or whatever it's called to the main menu, and back again.

who_me wrote: »
    Hey, is anyone using a HDMI switch with the Horizon box, and not having any problems with them syncing when waking from standby?

Looking to pick one up, but don't want to get another that shares the same problems.

I guess that means not many people use HDMI switches (yet). ;)

Bought a different HDMI switch, and it has the same problem. It seems the Horizon box (or, indeed even the old Cisco HD box) doesn't work well with HDMI switches.

I notified UPC of this, and (a bit disappointingly) they said they'd mark this as resolved. I asked if they knew of any HDMI switches which do work with Horizon, and they said they don't keep a list.

who_me wrote: »
    You could also hit the Live TV button twice, but that will switch channels and switch back, so you'll lose any 'paused' content).

Good point - must try this.:)

• Advertisement

Good point - must try this.:)

Just to clarify - if you're in the main menu, guide, on demand sections etc., hitting the Live TV button once will bring you back to watching TV. But if you're in the 'channel menu' (i.e. the menu that pops up if you hit the Back button), or anywhere in the apps, hitting Live TV will switch to the last channel you viewed; so hitting it a second time brings you back to your original channel.

I've no idea why they did it that way. Just have that button exit you out of any menu, so much simpler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement