Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

I'm an Offaly Hurling man, and i can tell you that Offaly are hoping to push Waterford all the way.
    Do we think we can beat Waterford. well that a tough one to answer.
    But Yes, if everything goes our way and i mean everything.

The biggest Problem in Offaly Hurling is Ollie Baker. The man can't manage a bag of crisps. We can't keep our best hurlers on the panel or he hasn't called them up. just mad stuff. After 20 months of Bakers if you ask anyone in Offaly what the game plan for Sat will be. they will laugh at you. We normal don't have one.
    From Last year team that played Cork Offaly have lost 6 Starters. From the Panel that day in June last year 13 from 26. From the 13 lost 10 aged between 22-26.
    Our tactics are a joke. Against Kilkenny we fell in a tactic that worked OK for us on the day that was about it. If you look at the Kilkenny game and think that the way we are going to play, you will be in for a shock because that game plan work ok so it will have to be changed.

My own prediction for Sat night is like Baker Management style. I honestly don't have a fecking clue what is going to happen. If you ask any Offaly Hurling fan they tell you the same.

I think we have similar problems as a lot of Waterford people lack belief in the present managment. But look to have two teams going into the game with the belief that they can win gives it a bit of bite. Its a pity that for one of us our summer will be over but thats the way it goes. So the best of luck to both of the teams and may the best team win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Mullane is literally now a hurler in the ditch so his opinion really is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. Good luck to him getting a few bob from the Indo but I wouldn't be paying a blind bit of attention to anything he'd write in an article. Chances are he only got the gig on the understanding he be as provocative as he can. Best ignored tbh in the same way anyone with a brain just laughs at the stuff Eamonn Dunphy comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

1week away from MMH semi just wondering how Stephen Bennett fitness levels are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Just heard a mad rumour that eoin kelly is back on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 37,899 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

robopaddy wrote: »
    Just heard a mad rumour that eoin kelly is back on the panel
    would not say its true. would be a good thing if he got his head right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

deisedude wrote: »
    Anytime someone suggests Eoin Kelly should still be on the panel a child in Africa dies...so stop!!!

Another one gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm an Offaly Hurling man, and i can tell you that Offaly are hoping to push Waterford all the way.
    Do we think we can beat Waterford. well that a tough one to answer.
    But Yes, if everything goes our way and i mean everything.

The biggest Problem in Offaly Hurling is Ollie Baker. The man can't manage a bag of crisps. We can't keep our best hurlers on the panel or he hasn't called them up. just mad stuff. After 20 months of Bakers if you ask anyone in Offaly what the game plan for Sat will be. they will laugh at you. We normal don't have one.
    From Last year team that played Cork Offaly have lost 6 Starters. From the Panel that day in June last year 13 from 26. From the 13 lost 10 aged between 22-26.
    Our tactics are a joke. Against Kilkenny we fell in a tactic that worked OK for us on the day that was about it. If you look at the Kilkenny game and think that the way we are going to play, you will be in for a shock because that game plan work ok so it will have to be changed.

My own prediction for Sat night is like Baker Management style. I honestly don't have a fecking clue what is going to happen. If you ask any Offaly Hurling fan they tell you the same.

I've been with an Offaly girl now for the past 7 seasons and would know a lot of casual hurling fans in Offaly. Every win we've had in that time against teams like Limerick or Clare has been met with surprise. Our wins against Galway and Cork were met with restrained (at least when talking to me) shock.

My impression is that Offaly see us as quite a weak team (as they do themselves) and reckon they have a great chance. They'd see us as a team roughly on a par with Wexford - a team who used to be pretty good. I'd say the majority of Offaly fans there will have heard of only the Brick and Kevin Moran. Some even less.

My opinion on the game is probably quite similar to everyone else's. With our injuries and Offaly having home advantage I think they could easily get a result against us. However, I'd be disappointed if they did. They're firmly a division 2 team and lacking in quality and depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Happy with the team named, far more balanced look to the forward lines. Will be interesting to see where Paudie Prendergast eventually lines out though. There was a suggestion that Moran was trying to take on too much work from half back against Clare and I think playing him at midfield makes more sense, be it alongside Darragh Fives, Shane O'S or whoever.

Let's be a bit more realistic here instead of the constant negativity that seems to be prevailing; if this team performs we will beat Offaly end of story. There is a lot of experience in there and a lot of quality which Offaly simply do not have. I am not dismissing Offaly by any stretch but we have a decent team and it is right that we should be confident of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

don't say that man, the west Waterford posters will be after you for saying that, telling you that you havn't a clue....

thought paudie did well v clare in fairness...

hard to know what way they'll actually line out

I believe Richie Foley is from the West, and I would start Paudie Prendergast ahead of him.

Would also star him ahead of Eddie Barrett. This is why:

1. Eddie Barrett has never played a competitive game for Waterford.

2. Paudie Prendergast has acquitted himself well in any game he has played for Waterford at Senior level (as you mentoned against Clare, when he was playing out of position)

3. Prendergast has been on the panel since 2011

4. He has been a key player in several Waterford underage teams, and as well with his Club Lismore for several years (I believe he scored a goal in the County final in 2009 at 16/17, but my memory may be playing tricks on me). Has also been hurling with UCC the past two years

5. Nobody was talking about Eddie Barrett, really up until the Munster Club Final last year.

A qualifier game, and a lad like Paudie Prender who has been on the panel these past three years. It's the exactly the sort of game he should be playing in at this stage of his development. There's no 'east v west' about it.
    Anyone know what the story with Shane Walsh is. Another good option from the bench if fit enough, hopefully. Looking forward to saturday evening now.

Hamstring again according to the Observer, dunno if it's the same one or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

culbaire wrote: »
    Both counties are Division 1B. Period.
    If it is a disaster for Waterford to be beaten by a division 1B team, it must equally be a disaster for Tipp to be beaten by another division 1B team Limertick. I have been to club hurling matches in Offaly last year. The standard is higher than in Limerick. Which country has more success in the club championship? Offaly of course.
    Are you trying to say that this current Offaly side is better than Limerick's? Offaly are coming side, but a very young one, while not far off it, they are definitely not at the level of Limerick or Clare yet. How many club titles Offaly have won is irrelevant - especially as they were all won by the one club, Birr. Antrim have won an All Ireland club title too, one more than Limerick. Yet you wouldn't say Antrim are superior to Limerick. I wouldnt agree that Offaly club hurling is superior to Linerick's. I know Kilcormac won iut Leinster last year but Na Piarsaigh won out Munster in 2011. They're about the same level I would say, the difference being Limerick has more clubs to pick from. Limerick also has a Munster U-21 title a couple of yeas ago, it's been a while since Offaly have done the same in Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

cathal parlon is out for offaly, hes a fine hurler too. shane Dooley had an off day v Kilkenny, id be very wary of him Saturday a player like him rarely has 2 off days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭seananigans

blue note wrote: »
    I've been with an Offaly girl now for the past 7 seasons and would know a lot of casual hurling fans in Offaly. Every win we've had in that time against teams like Limerick or Clare has been met with surprise. Our wins against Galway and Cork were met with restrained (at least when talking to me) shock.

My impression is that Offaly see us as quite a weak team (as they do themselves) and reckon they have a great chance. They'd see us as a team roughly on a par with Wexford - a team who used to be pretty good. I'd say the majority of Offaly fans there will have heard of only the Brick and Kevin Moran. Some even less.

My opinion on the game is probably quite similar to everyone else's. With our injuries and Offaly having home advantage I think they could easily get a result against us. However, I'd be disappointed if they did. They're firmly a division 2 team and lacking in quality and depth.

I liked your comment ,simply because you measure your time with her in "seasons"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Figures. Lots of people still see us as the county who lost to Kerry in living memory. Reading the defeatist comments on this thread, I can see where they're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Best of luck to the team on Saturday, will be the first championship game I'll miss in about 10 years or so due to the fact I'm getting married this weekend. People asking me all week how are the nerves, fine says I, we'll beat Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Best of luck to the team on Saturday, will be the first championship game I'll miss in about 10 years or so due to the fact I'm getting married this weekend. People asking me all week how are the nerves, fine says I, we'll beat Offaly.

Have to miss it too due to work, hopefully they get to play in croker at some stage, tis a 20 train for me :-) .

no problem with heading around the country, but its a pain to get Saturdays off work :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

KevIRL wrote: »

congraths Kev best of luck. hope you have a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 37,899 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got my tickets today for the game. the joys of working a part time job and getting time off.

im in the stand so all wateford supporters should create a Waterford section here.

I say only about 100 or more waterford supporters will travel. Would be very nerve racking sitting at home listening to the game on the radio (will pubs in Waterford have the game on there radio i wonder ?)

deiseach wrote: »
    Figures. Lots of people still see us as the county who lost to Kerry in living memory. Reading the defeatist comments on this thread, I can see where they're coming from.

exactly, defeatist comments, has Waterford hurling slipped so far back in such a short space of time that we are now fearing offaly, who are a very poor to mediocre team! if we do lose on Saturday certain people will have to answer questions ie management, team and county board. I know we have injuries and retirements but we should have enough pedigree to win this one, if we don't, as I said, there is huge problems.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    got my tickets today for the game. the joys of working a part time job and getting time off.

im in the stand so all wateford supporters should create a Waterford section here.

I say only about 100 or more waterford supporters will travel. Would be very nerve racking sitting at home listening to the game on the radio (will pubs in Waterford have the game on there radio i wonder ?)

About a hundred? You'd comfortably get a hundred for a league game!

Weather permitting I'd say there could be 6-7 thousand at the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

About a hundred? You'd comfortably get a hundred for a league game!

Weather permitting I'd say there could be 6-7 thousand at the game.

In total or from Waterford?

In total or from Waterford?

Total. There will probably be more Offaly people than Waterford there.

As much as I'd rather be looking at a match against Cork this weekend, I'm looking forward to playing Offaly for a change. It's only our 3rd time in our history playing them in the championship and since I've been going to games we very rarely get to go to a place like Tullamore for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

exactly, defeatist comments, has Waterford hurling slipped so far back in such a short space of time that we are now fearing offaly, who are a very poor to mediocre team! if we do lose on Saturday certain people will have to answer questions ie management, team and county board. I know we have injuries and retirements but we should have enough pedigree to win this one, if we don't, as I said, there is huge problems.

So basically what your saying if we win its because of the players and if we lose its because of the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Wish I could go. Alas, Tullamore, like Thurles, is not an easy place to get to if you don't have a car or don't want to spend about 10 hours on public transport. If we lose against Offaly it will be the first year since 2002 that I'll have not gone to at least one Waterford game in the Munster or All Ireland. But that's not going to happen lads!

Hope the supporters lucky enough to go will make some noise!

robopaddy wrote: »
    So basically what your saying if we win its because of the players and if we lose its because of the manager

no paddy, that's not what im saying. are you dyslexic paddy? I said if we lose, management, team and county board have questions to answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

The more I read of your posts the more I believe you are the ultimate troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

congraths Kev best of luck. hope you have a great weekend

I second that, Kev hope ya have a great weekend an I hope it's been worth the nerves an the wait after so many yrs together it all comes down to this weekend
    Ps- best of luck wit the wedding to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

glick6 wrote: »
    The more I read of your posts the more I believe you are the ultimate troll.

Was thinking the same. He never posted in the hurling championship predictions thread until this week...and guess who he said would win on Saturday? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

I expect us to win rather comfortably on Saturday probably by a minimum of 5 points. Offaly's performance against Kilkenny has been overhyped. They were unable to match Kilkenny in any area of the field in the second half. Another aspect was the easiness of the goals (3 fluke goals) which put a gloss on the scoreboard. I put their periods of dominance in the first hand down to the lack of intensity from they Kilkenny team and also the considerable assistance of the wind. Kilkenny still outscored them 11 scores to 8 in the first half. Waterford I believe will hurl ore freely on saturday night and will have learnt a lot from the clare game. I'd expect the younger players to flourish in a less pressurised atmosphere, Hopefully a good performance will set us up for the long summers road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

shoddy14 wrote: »
    I expect us to win rather comfortably on Saturday probably by a minimum of 5 points. Offaly's performance against Kilkenny has been overhyped. They were unable to match Kilkenny in any area of the field in the second half. Another aspect was the easiness of the goals (3 fluke goals) which put a gloss on the scoreboard. I put their periods of dominance in the first hand down to the lack of intensity from they Kilkenny team and also the considerable assistance of the wind. Kilkenny still outscored them 11 scores to 8 in the first half. Waterford I believe will hurl ore freely on saturday night and will have learnt a lot from the clare game. I'd expect the younger players to flourish in a less pressurised atmosphere, Hopefully a good performance will set us up for the long summers road.

i think thats waterfords story again kilkenny over the years, if offaly have one thing over waterford is they know how to win all irelands;);)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement