Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

probably ryan had done all he was capable of in terms of communicating and managing yea, but he isnt a good manager or communicater and i think if there had been someone else in place the outcome would have been different. for eg. would a donal o grady have left himself in this kind of a situation? unlikely.

Donal O'Grady is a disciplinarian and would have told Kelly to sling he's hook years ago. An over-rated past it primadonna or exciting talented youngsters?? Ummm I think Michael Ryan has handled things perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Morte wrote: »
    The vaunted dominance of the Clare half back line late on came when they were against a Barry, Mahony, O'Brien half forward line. They'll rarely play against one as weak as that again. If Maurice hadn't taken a knock and we had cover to move O'Sullivan or someone up there they might not have turned us over. Molumphy would have made a huge difference as well if he wasn't away.

The two teams are about level. They're both a long way off winning All Irelands. Hopefully this will help to bring the Clare hurlers on. I think their full forward line is excellent.

A lot of if's though. I don't think that the two teams are level and even at full strength we would beat that Clare team, we weren't missing that many people who would make a major impact bar Walsh and Molumphy. The Clare full forward line were starved of the ball and I think Davy got his tactics a bit arse ways if I'm honest. Honan barely had any ball and still got 0-3 from play, he looks a quality hurler and is really athletic for a such a big lanky looking lad. It's not that our full back line was instrumental in starving their full forwards either, it's just Clare were farting around with it playing some kind of 'possession' game which was ineffective for most of the match. Waterford's full back line still deserve credit though regardless.

They beat Waterford by 8 points and didn't even play well, let's not dance around it. You can argue that Waterford didn't play well either but a bunch of young and not particularly physical forwards did as one would expect at senior intercounty in a Championship game. Waterford simply won't have the scoring power to compete in an meaningful way for an All-Ireland this year despite the fact that they have some excellent players in the full and half-back line, in my opinion. I'm not overly pessimistic either I don't think despite being quite negative in this post, some of those players might come on a fair bit over the next couple of years and it's not like they aren't competitive at the minute, I just don't think they are at the level required yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I agree he's retired let him be he won't ever come back or will he?? I wouldn't be surprised if he came back next year but only if Derek McGrath was to get the job.. This is the only person could convince him but saying that what are the chances of Derek gettin the county job next year??

I think Derek will have to prove himself before he be considered for the job. I know he has it done on the colleges scene, but managing 17 year olds that you have control over or should have control over is much different to managing 25, 26 and 27 year olds. I also know he has coached De La Salle to win a senior county final, but again it is his own club and would have the respect of the players and would have known all of them from either school or from playing alongside them. Would he get the same respect from players from other clubs.

Sometimes in this county, we have a good player or coach come along and we blow them up a little bit. It has happened several times with players and has happened a few times with coaches. Its not that along ago that many people were making Jimmy Meany out to be the next Brian Cody after he did well with the Waterford Minors for a year or two. Someone told me that his own club did not even want him for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

The list of players missing who will make a come back was quite big last Sunday. Shane Walsh would have given badly needed strenght in the full forward line and the younger players would not have been under such pressure. Then you have Steven Mulumphy, Philip Mahoney, Richie Foley, Shane Fives and Steven Daneil's. Any team would struggle with that injury list and every player on that list would be first team players so really its not all doom and gloom.
    I was really looking forward to seeing Steven Daneil's this year as his form was really great through the League, we will have to wait for next year for him to recover and the return of Steven Mulumphy and Philip Mahoney. Just imagine if all these players were fit and available for last Sunday I doubt we would be looking at the qualifer's now. I have to say I was very impressed with the display of Paudi Pender who was drafted in at the last minute so there's a plus from that game, and the brilliant form of Jamie Nagle was a real revelation this year. We should have some of these players back as the qualifers progress so who knows how this year will shape up. It mightn't be to bad at all. I'm sure there will be some home fixture's so hopefully the crowd's will come to these matches and give them a good atmosphere which will give this young team a boost. Here's hoping never give up and keep the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    The list of players missing who will make a come back was quite big last Sunday. Shane Walsh would have given badly needed strenght in the full forward line and the younger players would not have been under such pressure. Then you have Steven Mulumphy, Philip Mahoney, Richie Foley, Shane Fives and Steven Daneil's. Any team would struggle with that injury list and every player on that list would be first team players so really its not all doom and gloom.
    I was really looking forward to seeing Steven Daneil's this year as his form was really great through the League, we will have to wait for next year for him to recover and the return of Steven Mulumphy and Philip Mahoney. Just imagine if all these players were fit and available for last Sunday I doubt we would be looking at the qualifer's now. I have to say I was very impressed with the display of Paudi Pender who was drafted in at the last minute so there's a plus from that game, and the brilliant form of Jamie Nagle was a real revelation this year. We should have some of these players back as the qualifers progress so who knows how this year will shape up. It mightn't be to bad at all. I'm sure there will be some home fixture's so hopefully the crowd's will come to these matches and give them a good atmosphere which will give this young team a boost. Here's hoping never give up and keep the faith.

I admire your enthusiasm but people are still making too much of the players that are missing. Shane Walsh hasn't been fit at all this year was very ineffective in the league when he was playing. Im not sure even if he is available again this year in what shape he'll be in but I dont think we should be expecting miracles. S.Fives is still a rookie as far as championship is concerned and tbf I cant really see how he'll improve things on last weekend our defence did well enough anyway.
    Daniels is the big disappointment obviously he really looked like he had come on a level in the league this year.
    As for Molumphy well hes going to be out of competitive hurling for a full 12 months and by the time he returns next year he'll be 30 and it remains to be seen if he'll be able to get back to the same level. Mahony it was disappointing he didnt stick around. at his age hes still developing as a player but I suppose who can blame any younglad for heading off these days.
    Richie Foley Im not sure what the story is but hes had a pretty horrific year with injuries so far so I dont expect too much from him either.

Anyone know what was wrong with Brian o'Halloran. Was it serious? His injury problems seem to continue with the last few years and youd have to feel for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    I admire your enthusiasm but people are still making too much of the players that are missing. Shane Walsh hasn't been fit at all this year was very ineffective in the league when he was playing. Im not sure even if he is available again this year in what shape he'll be in but I dont think we should be expecting miracles. S.Fives is still a rookie as far as championship is concerned and tbf I cant really see how he'll improve things on last weekend our defence did well enough anyway.
    Daniels is the big disappointment obviously he really looked like he had come on a level in the league this year.
    As for Molumphy well hes going to be out of competitive hurling for a full 12 months and by the time he returns next year he'll be 30 and it remains to be seen if he'll be able to get back to the same level. Mahony it was disappointing he didnt stick around. at his age hes still developing as a player but I suppose who can blame any younglad for heading off these days.
    Richie Foley Im not sure what the story is but hes had a pretty horrific year with injuries so far so I dont expect too much from him either.

Anyone know what was wrong with Brian o'Halloran. Was it serious? His injury problems seem to continue with the last few years and youd have to feel for him

O'Halloran's was an ankle injury he sustained against Limerick. They thought he'd be ok but it was probably more hope and him being needed that shaped that. I'm sure with three weeks rest he could feature in the prelimnary round of the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Another player who came with great promise last year was the last named sub on the programme. What has hapened to Brian O'Sullivan himself and his brother David showed great promise last year now only Brian barely makes the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Another player who came with great promise last year was the last named sub on the programme. What has hapened to Brian O'Sullivan himself and his brother David showed great promise last year now only Brian barely makes the panel.

He's a bit light for the senior county team and at age 23 would needed to have put on muscle like Dillon has done to be a starter in the team. Would drafting Cormac Curran from the Brickeys club onto the county team after he's done the leaving help with winning ball in the half forward line or would it be expecting too much at a young age even though he is a big lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

alllcounty wrote: »
    He's a bit light for the senior county team and at age 23 would needed to have put on muscle like Dillon has done to be a starter in the team. Would drafting Cormac Curran from the Brickeys club onto the county team after he's done the leaving help with winning ball in the half forward line or would it be expecting too much at a young age even though he is a big lad.

Definitely expecting too much, he's still only a minor sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anytime someone suggests Eoin Kelly should still be on the panel a child in Africa dies...so stop!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Black Suir wrote: »
    I think Derek will have to prove himself before he be considered for the job. I know he has it done on the colleges scene, but managing 17 year olds that you have control over or should have control over is much different to managing 25, 26 and 27 year olds. I also know he has coached De La Salle to win a senior county final, but again it is his own club and would have the respect of the players and would have known all of them from either school or from playing alongside them. Would he get the same respect from players from other clubs.

Sometimes in this county, we have a good player or coach come along and we blow them up a little bit. It has happened several times with players and has happened a few times with coaches. Its not that along ago that many people were making Jimmy Meany out to be the next Brian Cody after he did well with the Waterford Minors for a year or two. Someone told me that his own club did not even want him for this year.

A lot of players coming through now from the city clubs DLS,BG,PASSAGE, MS if you include Aussie gleeson who will be on panel next year an few more have played under Derek an hold him in the highest regard, to compare him wit Meaney is laughable you hit the nail on the head his own dont even want him. And yes the backbone of the DLS club team have been coached by him from underage the whole way up so what ur seeing last couple of years is all his work realistically, I see your point but no disrespect to Scully or Meaney he have a much better CV then both of them together and I think if I was to blow up a coach in the county you won't find better then this chap. Where does he go to prove himself from winning county titles an Munster final appearances with his own club? It's not Brian Cody your dead right but were not exactly Kilkenny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think Waterfords next hurling manager needs to be strict (A good man manger) eg not let the younger lads get too carried away ie Drink etc.

Michael Ryan comes across to me as someone the young lads would not pay too much attention too disapline wise

I heard after last years Munster final defeat theres was a big piss up in Lawlors hotel for the team.

Davy was probly the best man manager weve have had since Ger Mccarthy.

Anyway Ryan is manager til the end of the season and has done well (staying up in the league, munster final apperance) so everyone should get behind him and the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

ahh jesus he's only in 5th year and still minor next year, don't be getting too carried away yet. I can see aussie gleeson on the senior panel next year though, playing terrific stuff for mount sion at no.10 and then even better for waterford at no.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

A lot of players coming through now from the city clubs DLS,BG,PASSAGE, MS if you include Aussie gleeson who will be on panel next year an few more have played under Derek an hold him in the highest regard, to compare him wit Meaney is laughable you hit the nail on the head his own dont even want him. And yes the backbone of the DLS club team have been coached by him from underage the whole way up so what ur seeing last couple of years is all his work realistically, I see your point but no disrespect to Scully or Meaney he have a much better CV then both of them together and I think if I was to blow up a coach in the county you won't find better then this chap. Where does he go to prove himself from winning county titles an Munster final appearances with his own club? It's not Brian Cody your dead right but were not exactly Kilkenny either.

Derek is the future that is for sure, ryan is just a stop gap appointment so id be anxious he'd be gone after this year so we can get serious about the future. whether Derek would want it this early in his career remains to be seen, but we cant have another shambles manager after ryan goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Derek is the future that is for sure, ryan is just a stop gap appointment so id be anxious he'd be gone after this year so we can get serious about the future. whether Derek would want it this early in his career remains to be seen, but we cant have another shambles manager after ryan goes.

derek is the only man for the job. end of conversation. he is top top top class.

anyone that ever worked with him or trained under him will tell you the same.

hes still minor next year and as said not even doing the leaving yet!

A lot of silly talk on here about Austin Gleeson being automatically on the panel next year etc... when are we going to learn in this county about putting pressure on our young players. How many times have we seen great white hopes and nothing become of it. Just let the minors get on with their season and let the current senior management team get on with theirs.

This is a conversation for next January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

All this talk of managers is pointless.
    Michael Ryan is doing a decent job, just let him at it and stop running down the man.
    Have no doubt Derek McGrath is a good manager but not everything he does turns to gold (the 3,3,1 crap last year, he didn't do much with piltown in kilkenny, dls colleges have gone way back over the last few years). One thing for sure though is that alot of players who played under him would have lots of respect for him. Let him build up his experience and in a few years he should be an excellent candidate for the position.
    For the time being we just don't have the players and no matter who is the manager that won't change. Talk of eoin kelly and john mullane is pointless. They have had their time, the younger lads are getting their chance now and are going to have bad days like sunday along the way but hopefully they will learn from them and can mature over the next few years into a team challenging for all irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Both Michael Ryan and Derek McGrath have managed De La Salle in the last 3 years. The best hurling I have seen De La Salle play was in 2010 when Michael Ryan was in charge and were very unluckey to be beaten by Clarinbridge after extra time in one of the best hurling games I have seen. Last year under Derek McGrath De La Salle were very poor in munster, they struggled to beat NewMarketOnFergus who won their county title after 31 years.

Against Thurles distribution of the ball to the forwards was poor with too much bunching of players in the forward line and not enough ball been played into space for one on one. In my opinion Michael Ryan is a far better manager than Derek McGrath and has done a good job since taking over as manager of the county team. We will be a division 1 team again next year and alot of the younger players will have gained experience which will benefit the team going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Both Michael Ryan and Derek McGrath have managed De La Salle in the last 3 years. The best hurling I have seen De La Salle play was in 2010 when Michael Ryan was in charge and were very unluckey to be beaten by Clarinbridge after extra time in one of the best hurling games I have seen. Last year under Derek McGrath De La Salle were very poor in munster, they struggled to beat NewMarketOnFergus who won their county title after 31 years.

Against Thurles distribution of the ball to the forwards was poor with too much bunching of players in the forward line and not enough ball been played into space for one on one. In my opinion Michael Ryan is a far better manager than Derek McGrath and has done a good job since taking over as manager of the county team. We will be a division 1 team again next year and alot of the younger players will have gained experience which will benefit the team going forward.

I'd very much agree that DLS played much better hurling in 2010 than present. If anything the team should be far better now as lads have matured since then. In 2010 they really revolved around Mullane, but some of the interplay in the forwards was terrific.

I'd say McGrath has potential, but probably has a bit to learn. He, and Dermot Dooley, had great success with DLS school, but they spent huge sums of money in the process - they definitely weren't on a level playing field in terms of the resources which were made available to them.

I'd also question the wisdom of the whole 3-3-1 business. Whatever about having internal goals to work towards, but emblazoning them into the teams gear was very poor judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

deisedude wrote: »
    Anytime someone suggests Eoin Kelly should still be on the panel a child in Africa dies...so stop!!!

From laughing I assume??

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »

I'd also question the wisdom of the whole 3-3-1 business. Whatever about having internal goals to work towards, but emblazoning them into the teams gear was very poor judgement.

If this nonsense was Derek McGraths idea then Id seriously question his credentials. Hes being hailed above as some sort of future messiah and someone who has the utmost respect of his players but if you ask me DLS were a bit of a laughing stock with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

At the moment we have a mixture of older and younger players. Whoever takes over from Michael Ryan will reap the rewards of the introduction of lots of youngsters and a team like this in 3 years time should be in a better position to challenge for honours than the present team:

1. Stephen O’ Keeffe (25)
    2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    4. Paudie Pendergast (24)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    10. Brian O’ Halloran (25)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    12. Maurice Shanahan (26)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

Rough ages are in brackets but there is the makings of a team who should be strong enough to challenge for All Irelands. It's not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

At the moment we have a mixture of older and younger players. Whoever takes over from Michael Ryan will reap the rewards of the introduction of lots of youngsters and a team like this in 3 years time should be in a better position to challenge for honours than the present team:

2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

Rough ages are in brackets but there is the makings of a team who should be strong enough to challenge for All Irelands. It's not all doom and gloom.

Looks like a strong team in a few years if lads progress well. I'm not sure about All Irelands, but they should be competitive at least. I'm convinced that Eoin Madigan's future lies at centre or full forward though! I'd see no reason why Kevin Moran wouldn't be playing at the age of 29 either.

I think if you take a look across the top few counties at the moment you'll see that Cork & Clare both have young teams who they will be expecting to see do well in 2-3 years. Galway and Tipp seem to have conveyor belts of young lads coming in year after year, and Dublin will only get stronger as well with the work they are doing at underage. Kilkenny obviously won't be going anywhere, but they are bound to have some transition when Cody eventually leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

To be fair to Michael Ryan, I think he's done a relatively good job by keeping Waterford in Division 1 for the last two seasons and making the munster final last year. We doesn't have a whole lot at his disposal at the minute and if anything I think its encouraging that he has been able to build such a young, talented team from limited underage success. People don't seem to understand that teams are going to undergo transitional periods everynow and again. I think from the 07/08 teams, the only two players who played on Sunday were Brick and Prendergast, (Correct me if im wrong) that is a huge change around in 5 years. Also regarding Mullane and Kelly, both have been fantastic servants to Waterford hurling and have both played for the bones of a decade. Mullane still has a lot to offer, but he doesn't want to be a part of the panel, we must respect that, he owes nothing. Lets move on and look to the future.

Although there has been a lot of injuries and withdrawls, I don't think it would of changed a whole lot. Fair enough Walsh was a loss, but Daniels, Fives, Mahoney, Foley and Molumphy, would all be 2-8 anyway, thats not where the problem lies. What I feel somes it up at the moment is trying to think of realistic replacements for the forwards. I didn't see the intermediate game, did anyone perform well enough to push for a senior place ?

I think McGrath would be fantastic choice of manager in the future, would like him to take the minors or U21's for a few years first however. I don't see how the fact that he has won 2 harty cups and a county senior championship can possibly be held against him. It was also mentioned that he barely got past the Clare champions , in Clare and the fact they didn't win the Munster. Clare hurling is not that bad that you can expect to walk past them into a munster final, the fact that they didn't win one in 31 years is pretty redundant, De La salle had never won one and went onto win munster. In the munster final they also had to play the majority of the game with 14 men, this is something management has no control over. It was a stupid pull and they were competing well upto that point.

Overall the qualifiers might be a better option, they will more then likely get a game or two under their belts before meeting stronger opposition. Lets be honest, they were very unlikely to win munster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tony Browne (43)

This bit of the post needs more love. WP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

If this nonsense was Derek McGraths idea then Id seriously question his credentials. Hes being hailed above as some sort of future messiah and someone who has the utmost respect of his players but if you ask me DLS were a bit of a laughing stock with that.

Seeing Derek McGrath only make one change in the Munster final last year when DLS were down to 14 men for the entire second half. They put up a good fight but obviously began to fade near the end. By the time a change came it was too little too late. Was not impressed.

I have no doubt as to what you say, but my point is having respect for your teacher while in school or for an ex teacher after coming out of school is one thing, after that its another thing, especially if you are attached to another club.

I don't think I compared Derek McGrath and Jimmy Meany as you suggest, and if I did, it was not intended to happen on my behalf. My point was that a few years ago, after he guided the county minors to success he was the best thing according to some (mostly from the city area) since the slice pan, but this year he to the best of my knowledge is out of a job. If he was as good suggests he was/is then he would have a team. It need not even be within the county, or it could be with a good Intermediate team.

Our biggest problem is that we have a Shambles County Board. There is some good people gone in there new with the past five or six years, but there is a few there that are around much longer that needed to be removed from the board, leaving new people with new ideas move in their place.

Throw in the game with Lismore as well. They were short three or four first team players, including Maurice Shanahan who was suspended. Nobody gave Lismore a chance, but they pushed De La Salle all the way. Remember Dan Shanahan was excellent on that day and in the first half he hit the side netting when it looked easier to score. With 60 minutes played the sides were level and DLS needed a point in the added time from Eddie Barrett to win the game.

• Advertisement

2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

I love the way you stuck in Tony Browne there. Was disappointed he was not used on Sunday. Should have came on for the last 20 minutes or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement