Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Saw a small grey eircom van parked up in Meadowvale, Arklow yesterday evening after 6pm. The van looked like it had a picture of fibre on the side.

Was out of the house for the evening so don't know if anyone came calling. Nothing dropped in the door either.

Could it have been a sales rep? Didn't look like an engineers van.

Could have been anything really. That's just a branding campaign used on a lot of their smaller vans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

KN networks looked to be running fibre the length of the R122 road (the main road into Balbriggan, towards the m1 motorway).

In Cork there's significant amounts of fibre laying going on in the Dennehy's Cross exchange area (Western Suburbs - Wilton / Bishopstown etc) at the moment.

They've also replaced a lot of older cabinets around Wellington Road exchange area, even though there's no fibre cabinet gone in yet. I assume there's going to be another round of VDSL2 cabinets going in to those locations as it wouldn't have made much sense to replace the old cabinets otherwise.

There's still a fair bit more to go in Cork City, but it's progressing very rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

Hi Folks,

Am in two minds to renew my contract with Eircom but was told today that Fibre Optics will in Navan within three months. Is this true? Was thinking of switching to Sky.

tom23 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Am in two minds to renew my contract with Eircom but was told today that Fibre Optics will in Navan within three months. Is this true? Was thinking of switching to Sky.

If there's fibre coming to your area soon, I'd say hold off on going into 12 month contracts with anyone.

Sky will quite probably launch the same set of products (using Eircom wholesale access) but, they've no announcements yet, so I'd just wait until May 20th if you can. That's the date Eircom will be switching this stuff on.

Basically, all the usual DSL providers will be able to sell fibre products over Eircom Wholesale's network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Hi Folks,

I think Navan is on phase 5. If I'm right, fiber won't be there for another 21 months.

Why do you want to renew your contract with Eircom, are they offering you a cheaper package?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

I think Navan is on phase 5. If I'm right, fiber won't be there for another 21 months.

Why do you want to renew your contract with Eircom, are they offering you a cheaper package?

They offered me a better deal, its not a world beater, but if I go with Sky I'll get more or less the same broadband speed but about ten euros cheaper. I would love UPC but they wont come out the estate I am in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

They offered me a better deal, its not a world beater, but if I go with Sky I'll get more or less the same broadband speed but about ten euros cheaper. I would love UPC but they wont come out the estate I am in.

Unfortunately, I don't have UPC either, but if my neighbours wanted it, we can ask UPC to run their cables from roof to roof - no digging involved, just your neighbours' permission to have cable running across their fascia board. It might look ugly in estates with detached housing.

I'm with Sky and I'm saving about 25 a month. Steady connection but the speeds suffer in the evenings. I think Sky can't handle all the customers they robbed from the others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

we can ask UPC to run their cables from roof to roof - no digging involved, just your neighbours' permission to have cable running across their fascia board. It might look ugly in estates with detached housing.

UPC only need to go overground at the house, if a row of detached houses installs underground runs of 50mm Hydrodaire ( outdoor water pipe) between houses and with string in it then UPC only need to pull cable through and clip it onto walls. This can all go at the back of the house which is where the lawns are anyway.
    I'm with Sky and I'm saving about 25 a month. Steady connection but the speeds suffer in the evenings. I think Sky can't handle all the customers they robbed from the others.

Sky grabbed too many customers and are inclined to packet shape their way out of the problem rather than dimension their Bitstream circuits properly...and anyway it takes eircom 6 weeks to provision extra Bitstream circuits.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Added a few cabs I spotted around Dun Laoghaire over the weekend, plus two cabs in Dublin not in place yet, but have license up for new cabs and position marked out near existing cab.

BTW Sponge Bob if and when you would like to create a new thread for this mapping, let me know and I will sticky it for you.

Create work on this everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bk wrote: »
    Added a few cabs I spotted around Dun Laoghaire over the weekend, plus two cabs in Dublin not in place yet, but have license up for new cabs and position marked out near existing cab.

BTW Sponge Bob if and when you would like to create a new thread for this mapping, let me know and I will sticky it for you.

I think it's a bad idea to add cabinets which haven't been physically installed yet... Planning permission can and has been denied to UPC in parts of Dublin before, for example. I know of one cabinet that was installed in Macken St. in Dublin 2 but was subsequently moved to a nearby street as Dublin City Council took issue with its exact location.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it's a bad idea to add cabinets which haven't been physically installed yet... Planning permission can and has been denied to UPC in parts of Dublin before, for example. I know of one cabinet that was installed in Macken St. in Dublin 2 but was subsequently moved to a nearby street as Dublin City Council took issue with its exact location.

First of all, it isn't planning permission, rather it is a license for street furniture.

Second I frequently pass these locations, so I will update and remove them if necessary.

Really no harm in adding these, I'd be very surprised if they aren't physically in place in the next few weeks, they are already laying fibre to them.

bk wrote: »

Thanks VM BK. I think you can do so now and ditch a few of the less relevant posts to make it ( and this long running thread ) more readable. I am easy on adding cabs where the base has been spotted in situ especially in Drogheda where we know they are near launch. Somewhere like Finglas or Sutton which have barely started they may be a bit of a distraction but they are near install.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, the notices are applications for licences for telecommunications cabinets going on what I read. Not that this exactly matters, as DCC could still refuse the application.

I think it helps to keep track of the rollout when we aren't adding anticipated cabinets as well as actual ones. After all, come May, if there isn't a cabinet in place where it has been marked then it will lead to inevitable confusion for the users of the map. If anyone of us gets a regular view of a cabinet, sure we can stick it up almost as soon as it's installed.

In addition, some of the VDSL2 cabinets in Drogheda were installed about 4 months after the first preparations took place (after fibre was blown and the copper cabinets were replaced). With eircom carrying out installs with little regard to these phases so far, what's to say that more unexpected developments might take place or that the cabinets must be launched by the published date in light of Comreg's ruling? If I remember correctly, the provisions of the rollout of VDSL2 implied that the launch dates were to be provided on an exchange-by-exchange basis.

If I remember correctly, the provisions of the rollout of VDSL2 implied that the launch dates were to be provided on an exchange-by-exchange basis.

And the individual cabinet too. eircom wholesale must disclose everything to the retailers to the cabinet level including a 6 month heads up on new cabinet launches if not by the 20th May catchall date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Someone pinned a cabinet in loughshinny Co Dublin on the map but I looked for it today and its not there. I was wondering why they would place one miles for any other one so I looked for it. Got my hopes up but now they are dashed :(:(:(

Someone pinned a cabinet in loughshinny Co Dublin on the map but I looked for it today and its not there. I was wondering why they would place one miles for any other one so I looked for it. Got my hopes up but now they are dashed :(:(:(

We have had some marked in villages in N Dublin and E Meath. Have you seen any in Skerries itself in which exchange area Loughshinny is??? It is described as:

"on the left , at the end of the wall ,before entrance to loughshinny bay est"

would it be down here instead if so move the marker along and edit the description for us, ta. ???

Click >>> http://goo.gl/maps/9BHFq

Sounds more like someone googled the address and got the townland rather than the housing estate of the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

No sign of any cabinets in Clontarf, Dublin yet:(

Clontarf is a 2014 target, after Sutton and Whitehall and Coolock are finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

It could be worse... they could have completed a cabinet less than 200 metres from your house A YEAR AGO, right where you can see it looking out from your window... and then not sell it.

look, but don't touch! sitting here with crappy 1.7 meg d/l. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Loughshinny is part of the Skerries exch area ,the majority of Skerries is done and awaiting cab install's , apart from job's that need civil's done , Rush and lusk are well advanced also .Most of the cab's have fibre waiting now, ready to go , as soon as the contractor's do the install .First cab plint being put in Rush main st today by K+N .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Clontarf is a 2014 target, after Sutton and Whitehall and Coolock are finished.

I wonder how they decide which areas to commence in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Yeah on my way to work,
    on the Marlborough Road/Herbert Park road
    I noticed 3 cabinets all with "planning applications for the erection of new cabinet nearby"

For Ranelagh, the planning permission was here

For Donnybrook, the planning permission was here

For Ballsbridge, the planning permission was here

If we are only at the planning permission stage.....who knows when they will go live in this part of Dublin...

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We have had some marked in villages in N Dublin and E Meath. Have you seen any in Skerries itself in which exchange area Loughshinny is??? It is described as:

"on the left , at the end of the wall ,before entrance to loughshinny bay est"

would it be down here instead if so move the marker along and edit the description for us, ta. ???

Click >>> http://goo.gl/maps/9BHFq

I drove down that road in loughshinny all the way to the harbour and this only one I could see is the box in your link. Am I right in saying this is not a fiber cabinet?

Does anyone know when they will go live in Rush? Will be months after the cabinet is installed or weeks?

First cab plint being put in Rush main st today by K+N .
    I got very excited when I saw that today:D:D

Yeah on my way to work,
    on the Marlborough Road/Herbert Park road
    I noticed 3 cabinets all with "planning applications for the erection of new cabinet nearby

If we are only at the planning permission stage.....who knows when they will go live in this part of Dublin...

One Rathmines due end 2013 and 2 Beggars Bush due last month. maybe they are having problems with the planners, these should have gone through long ago ....certainly Beggars Bush in 2012.

The Nutley exchange between Donnybrook and Sillorgan should be complete too. Only a tad of that north of the Dodder. Small exchange in Clonskeagh covering mainly new apartment blocks not done either and not due till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Does anyone know when they will go live in Rush? Will be months after the cabinet is installed or weeks?

I think the bigger question is when will they go live in general. They've completed a lot of areas so far but are waiting for a big launch.
    Last date I heard on the grapevine was "Sometime in April"..... Anyone know any different?

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying this is not a fiber cabinet?

Yes. I dunno who put the marker in, that is what can happens when one crowdsources. I'll remove it so.

It may be planned and if so something should appear soon and you can PM me.

Advertisement