Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron to curb welfare entitlements for migrants - Should Ireland follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ireland never was a soft touch, we have a very restrictive emigration policy, very few actually get asylum here, most who get any other residentsy are from EU countries.

Very few actually go through the proper asylum system the majority registered as seeking asylum have never followed through with the process ,and even if you do go through the process and say a refused asylum they still stay here,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I love how you quote only the parts of a post which suit you.

He's just getting to the crux of the matter. Boil down the argument to the bones of it & we get a pretty good idea of what people are actually saying.

twinQuins wrote: »
    I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and assume that your real problem is one of the 'indigenous' population of Irish people being overshadowed by other ethnicities.

Would that be right? And if not please feel free to actually explain what your problem is.

And the problem with that is...

I remember 11 years ago in the US Texas to be specific where there was a vote on changing the state language from English to Spanish as the children of illegal immigrants out numbered the American kids by 65+% caused massive uproar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gatling wrote: »
    On theory I posted where whole population could be completely made a minority through unchecked migration
    Would it actually matter as the majority could have laws to change language, flags ,and government representations,

So these people can't become Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Ignorance must be bliss

I don't see what that has to do with the questions I asked. Are you going to bother clarifying?

• Advertisement

twinQuins wrote: »
    I don't see what that has to do with the questions I asked. Are you going to bother clarifying?

What was your question .

No and no

Answered

What was your question .

No and no

Answered

You stated

On theory I posted where whole population could be completely made a minority through unchecked migration
    Would it actually matter as the majority could have laws to change language, flags ,and government representations,

Are you saying these people can't become Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Okay.

What are you saying then?

I'm saying what I've said all along on this thread
    Welfare abuse by non national's (now not all non national's)
    Just the people who come here just for the welfare benefits and free social housing and have no intention of ever working or contributing as a whole ,needs to be brought to an end
    The same goes for our own welfare leeches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Phoebas wrote: »
    Immigrants by and large are net contributors.
    They tend to come here after their education is complete (paid for by their home countries), they tend to work, they tend to be young (and use less health services). And then they often go home before they become elderly.

Obviously, if you use only those immigrants who are using social supports as your measure, then you would get skewed results.

100,000+ is quiet a measure wouldn't you say.......

• Advertisement

Just the people who come here just for the welfare benefits and free social housing and have no intention of ever working or contributing as a whole ,needs to be brought to an end

You've said a lot more than that.

You stated earlier

johnty56 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I do believe the majority in Fingal in social housing/in receipt of rent allowance are non nationals.. I believe it is in the order of 52% or something like that..

Ah ya see you cannot just ''believe'' you got to back it up with solid independent data.

Seeing stuff first hand does not count nor does hearing from people their first hand accounts, nope, needs to be an independent report verified by 3 sources. now how we get this I really don't know seeing as my government have never explained to me since 2001 what exactly what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

What should we do with our welfare leech's ?

mattjack wrote: »
    What should we do with our welfare leech's ?

Cut them off completely no rent allowances no social housing ,you want help contribute first ,we have generation's of families who have never even attempted to work but yet live comfortable lives as there supported cradle to the grave,
    That's plain wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

not yet wrote: »
    100,000+ is quiet a measure wouldn't you say.......
    No

Cut them off completely no rent allowances no social housing ,you want help contribute first ,we have generation's of families who have never even attempted to work but yet live comfortable lives as there supported cradle to the grave,
    That's plain wrong

Jaysus, you seem to be terribly afraid to answer a straightforward question.....

You stated earlier

Nodin wrote: »
    Jaysus, you seem to be terribly afraid to answer a straightforward question.....

You stated earlier

These people kids are Irish they can't become what they already are

No

Sweet jesus, what figure would you say is a measure then 1 million.

A country this size to have 100,000+ non nationals on the dole is complete madness, and yeah I'll get the ''but the payed their taxes'' yes I agree. But paying taxes for a couple of years should not entitle you to dole for a lifetime.

These people kids are Irish they can't become what they already are

So whats all this nonsense about

and
    Our system basically could lead to colonization by stealth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

It's shocking to learn that there are over 30,000 illegals in this country, I hadn't realised the problem was that bad.
    If you are against foreigners on welfare, then 'illegals' are what you want as they aren't entitled to any despite being economically active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

MAR86 wrote: »
    I was studying (still am) therefore I always worked legally in Ireland. I think you shouldn't make claims like that, if you don't know the background.
    WayneMolloy would end up with 0 posts then.

Sweet jesus, what figure would you say is a measure then 1 million.

A country this size to have 100,000+ non nationals on the dole is complete madness, and yeah I'll get the ''but the payed their taxes'' yes I agree. But paying taxes for a couple of years should not entitle you to dole for a lifetime.
    100,000+ non nationals haven't been on the dole for a lifetime, nor will they be.

They move from their home countries in order to improve their lives, but often work in low end jobs, which are worse effected in a recession. As the economic conditions improve, these unemployed immigrants will get back to work.

Nodin wrote: »
    So whats all this nonsense about

and

What are you spouting on about
    Cherry picking your multi quotes rather than actually engaging in discussion,
    What's next do you want my IDF fanclub membership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

100,000+ non nationals haven't been on the dole for a lifetime, nor will they be.

They move from their home countries in order to improve their lives, but often work in low end jobs, which are worse effected in a recession. As the economic conditions improve, these unemployed immigrants will get back to work.

yes get back to work but still work for feck all leaving every other unemployed irish national unemployed still
    go into the city centre
    go into every retail shop
    guarrentee foreigners out number the irish massively on employment

Ah that's good so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

That could be a problem as an economic recovery is still a long way off,yet all the while,many of those entitled to welfare will stay due to a generous welfare system,thus prolonging the problem.Poland is still in a construction boom, yet it is not overly difficult to find an unemployed Polish builder in any area of the country.I guess it can boil down to whether or not you see the unemployed non-Irish as our responsibility or not, I happen to believe in a compromise of sorts,namely, assistance-but for a set period.

A country this size to have 100,000+ non nationals on the dole is complete madness...
    I just checked the live register figures for February - the figure for non Irish nationals is 76,829.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    yes get back to work but still work for feck all leaving every other unemployed irish national unemployed still
    go into the city centre
    go into every retail shop
    guarrentee foreigners out number the irish massively on employment
    Like I said, they are motivated to work. The same motivation that led them to leave their home countries in the first place makes them less likely to choose welfare payments over paid employment

Unemployed Irish people need to be able to compete for the available jobs.

crockholm wrote: »
    That could be a problem as an economic recovery is still a long way off,yet all the while,many of those entitled to welfare will stay due to a generous welfare system,thus prolonging the problem.Poland is still in a construction boom, yet it is not overly difficult to find an unemployed Polish builder in any area of the country.I guess it can boil down to whether or not you see the unemployed non-Irish as our responsibility or not, I happen to believe in a compromise of sorts,namely, assistance-but for a set period.
    I'd have no problem with that as long as it applied across the board.

• Advertisement

What are you spouting on about
    Cherry picking your multi quotes rather than actually engaging in discussion,
    What's next do you want my IDF fanclub membership

What's cherry picked about them?

That one about "colonisation by stealth" was a full post.

Why not explain yourself, instead of just rambling on and on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement