Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron to curb welfare entitlements for migrants - Should Ireland follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

What can I say? You waxing lyrical about how great the place is, has me sold. I hope to be nationality number 71 on the list.

Il learn to do a bit of samba or something like that and enrich you all, culturally, with my presence.

the only thing you could enrich with your horeshít is roses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

youtube! wrote: »
    As a matter of interest if for example I as an Irish citizen decide to emigrate to another EU country,or even more specifically another country with Euro as the currency, let's say Germany as a perfect example, if I work there for a year or two and then become unemployed am I entitled to

a) claim JB (or equivalent) and after one year claim

b) A medical card or equivalent

c) The equivalent of JA

d) be eligible for a house

e) to be entitled to do all this on a permanent basis as long as I need to?

These are not loaded questions because I honestly don't know the answers can someone please enlighten me?

As long as you satisfy the relevant rules in Germany, said rules must be the same for you and any German national. Then yes you qualify for what ever a German Citizen would get. In Germany like I assume the rest of the EU the Habitual Residence rule will apply. That usually requires a number of tests, length of time in the country, by looking at case law two years is usually sufficient. There is also a requirement that your intention is to remain in Germany, this can be show by having put down serious roots in the area etc.

The EU is founded on three very basic principles, 1 free movement of goods (trade is good) 2 free movement of services (again trade is good) there can be no barrier to goods and services within the EU, the final strand is free movement of workers, by treating eu immigrants differently to your own people you are not allowing free movement of workers. A thing a lot of people forget is this are not social rights they are economic rights.

An example of free movement in action. Education is included in free movement of persons. Scotland introduced free fees for its Students a few years back, any person from another EU state has the right to avail of that right if accepted in a Scotish University. But persons holding a British Passport that is people from England, Wales or NI don't get that right as they are not exercising movement over a border. Hence why a number of people in NI opted for an Irish Passport, to get free fees in Scotland. I see that scotland is closing the loophole this year, by requiring a 3 month residency test.

"However, under the new legislation, dual nationality university applicants from the rest of the UK will be required to prove that they have lived in another EU member state for at least three months before qualifying to have their tuition fees paid."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/scottish-government-blocks-free-education-for-irish-passport-holders-from-northern-ireland-28864069.html

If when living and working in Germany, you decide to apply for Social Housing, you can as long as you satisfy the same tests as a German National. If for example the German Government, said the earning threshold for a German was a maximum of €50k a year but a EU national lost the right to apply if earning more than €20k a year. That would not allow free movement of workers as it would be easier for the German to work and get social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

Does your country provide free gaffs and welfare benefits for newcomers?

Does it have 70 different nationalities on one smaller areas housing list?

I don't get a free gaff, I pay 1200 euro in rent for a 2bed apartment. There's no such thing as providing welfare benefits on arrival, you have to work, prove your residence, than lose your job, than apply and see if you qualify. You can't just get off the plane and head straight to the dole office...I mean you probably can, but you would be told to f.off straight away.

And you keep bringing up this 70 nationalities thing....if they are on the list does it mean they will automatically get a "free gaff" or does it mean that they're on a list and that's all?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Cut the welfare for the lazy cnuts in this country in general and we are on the right tracks. Too many people drawing dole with no intention of working Irish and non-Irish. They're the ones that usually ruin it for the honest people that are out of work and trying their best to earn a living.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

MAR86 wrote: »
    I don't get a free gaff, I pay 1200 euro in rent for a 2bed apartment. There's no such thing as providing welfare benefits on arrival, you have to work, prove your residence, than lose your job, than apply and see if you qualify. You can't just get off the plane and head straight to the dole office...I mean you probably can, but you would be told to f.off straight away.

And you keep bringing up this 70 nationalities thing....if they are on the list does it mean they will automatically get a "free gaff" or does it mean that they're on a list and that's all?

I asked if your country provides welfare benefits to newcomers like the Irish state. You didnt answer so I skimmed through your relatively few posts..... to compare the two countries policies.

And lo and behold, you were working in Ireland as an illegal.If you can obtain a pps number and work illegally, then I am sure you can obtain a pps number and claim illegally.

:(

• Advertisement

the only thing you could enrich with your horeshít is roses!

Cool beans, buddy.

You were decrying the asylum process earlier and asking why it took so long to process the applicants claims. Proably due to most of them pulling crap like this - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/twothirds-of-failed-asylum-seekers-had-used-false-identities-26855916.html

I asked if your country provides welfare benefits to newcomers like the Irish state. You didnt answer so I skimmed through your relatively few posts..... to compare the two countries policies.

And lo and behold, you were working in Ireland as an illegal.If you can obtain a pps number and work illegally, then I am sure you can obtain a pps number and claim illegally.

:(

Just to answer your post and I won't bother replying anymore.

I am working legally, just as a matter of fact I am Romanian, I don't need anything besides a PPS number in order to work legally..that's all that's required from me.

As far as I know (but haven't been in the situation) my country does offer free housing to those that are really in need of it, I don't know about immigrants though to be honest. My reply was a response to someone who said that social welfare payments should be limited to the amount you would receive in your native country. I don't agree with this because I pay tax at Irish rates (of course) and if I was to lose my job (working here for 3 years now) I wouldn't be able to survive on the amount that I would receive in my home country (difference currency as well) because my expenses, rent, ESB, phone, internet, would still be the same.

Hope this clears things a bit for you, I shouldn't explain myself to strangers on internet, but here I am :)

Just to answer your post and I won't bother replying anymore.

I am working legally, just as a matter of fact I am Romanian, I don't need anything besides a PPS number in order to work legally..that's all that's required from me.

As far as I know (but haven't been in the situation) my country does offer free housing to those that are really in need of it, I don't know about immigrants though to be honest. My reply was a response to someone who said that social welfare payments should be limited to the amount you would receive in your native country. I don't agree with this because I pay tax at Irish rates (of course) and if I was to lose my job (working here for 3 years now) I wouldn't be able to survive on the amount that I would receive in my home country (difference currency as well) because my expenses, rent, ESB, phone, internet, would still be the same.

Hope this clears things a bit for you, I shouldn't explain myself to strangers on internet, but here I am :)

You werent paying taxes if you were working illegally. You only became legal when the geebags in the dail eased restrictions on Romanian/Bulgarian citizens a year early at the start of January. Up until then, you required a work permit. You ignored this, obtained a pps number, which you werent entiled to, and worked illegally.

Bit rich to be complaining that it would be unfair if you didnt receive full welfare- when you had no qualms about illegally working in the state up until relatively recently.

You werent paying taxes if you were working illegally. You only became legal when the geebags in the dail eased restrictions on Romanian/Bulgarian citizens a year early at the start of January.

Bit rich to be complaining that it would be unfair if you didnt receive full welfare- when you had no qualms about illegally working in the state up until relatively recently.

I was studying (still am) therefore I always worked legally in Ireland. I think you shouldn't make claims like that, if you don't know the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I was studying (still am) therefore I always worked legally in Ireland. I think you shouldn't make claims like that, if you don't know the background.

That is a lie. Reread your posts. You admitted to working illegally.

You just said a minute ago that you were working here for three years. Sure.

Anyway, it doesnt really matter now. Just a bit hypocritical, is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Why is deporting people nonsense? It seems that the Australians have the right idea.

It's nonsense because it's irrational and stupid. You don't just give someone residency here and then decide to pull it because a problem has been caused that they had no part in. I couldn't care less how long people stay in the country looking for work as long they're here legally, but I don't want to have to pay extra taxes to facilitate it. If they get work, fair play. If not, well they'll eventually have to face the prospect I have to face when my contract here is up. Cut the amount spent on welfare and cut the ridiculous taxes. Workers will have more disposable income, ensure that it's spent in Ireland by cutting VAT and you'll eventually see more jobs.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Have you ever traveled outside of Ireland Wayne?

No, ive never left the parish.

:)

That is a lie. Reread your posts. You admitted to working illegally.

You just said a minute ago that you were working here for three years. Sure.

Anyway, it doesnt really matter now. Just a bit hypocritical, is all.

I think you can't read properly, I never said I worked here illegally!!! I was working here for 3 years, to work legally you had to either study or to apply for a work permit! These were the 2 options! I went for the 1st because it was in my interest anyway to study and have an Irish degree.

token101 wrote: »
    It's nonsense because it's irrational and stupid. You don't just give someone residency here and then decide to pull it because a problem has been caused that they had no part in. I couldn't care less how long people stay in the country looking for work as long they're here legally, but I don't want to have to pay extra taxes to facilitate it. If they get work, fair play. If not, well they'll eventually have to face the prospect I have to face when my contract here is up. Cut the amount spent on welfare and cut the ridiculous taxes. Workers will have more disposable income, ensure that it's spent in Ireland by cutting VAT and you'll eventually see more jobs.

It takes 5 years to gain permanent residency here iirc. Once someone has worked here for five years they can get residency/citizenship and all that lark. No problem, once they obtain either they should be treated just like a native. But someone here a year or two should get a couple of months welfare max, and if they are still unemployed after that- a ticket home. Definitely not housing and all the other goodies.

I think you can't read properly, I never said I worked here illegally!!! I was working here for 3 years, to work legally you had to either study or to apply for a work permit! These were the 2 options! I went for the 1st because it was in my interest anyway to study and have an Irish degree.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73847707

Post from 18 months were you admit to working but not having the right to work I.e working illegally.

I wouldnt of posted that if you werent making snide remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its means they get a gaff ,usually infront of Irish families most of the time they scream discrimination if there not housed after a certain amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Gatling wrote: »
    Its means they get a gaff ,usually infront of Irish families most of the time they scream discrimination if there not housed after a certain amount of time

There's a list so that's bollocks. First come, first served. **** your nationality.
    But someone here a year or two should get a couple of months welfare max, and if they are still unemployed after that- a ticket home. Definitely not housing and all the other goodies.

I doubt that happens to be honest. What goodies do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Bolloxology

• Advertisement

Bolloxology

The larger families generally get bumped to the top. Which is pretty damn wreckless when one thinks about.

There was murder over this in your locale not so long ago.

EDIT: Heres the link - http://www.kierandennison.com/2011/02/over-half-on-fingal-housing-list-are.html

Bolloxology

You obviously know all about the housing list, then explain how people are in the country less than 6-7 years are housed already yet we have families waiting 10+ years waiting to be housed to the point most actually give up hope of been housed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You obviously know all about the housing list, then explain how people are in the country less than 6-7 years are housed already yet we have families waiting 10+ years waiting to be housed to the point most actually give up hope of been housed

Bolloxology part deux.

Unless you've concrete, verified proof?

Nodin wrote: »
    Bolloxology part deux.

Unless you've concrete, verified proof?

Its public fact

Actually prove it isn't happening

Have you any figures to prove your assertion?because your posts continue to read like some sort of Monty Python sketch

Retarded argument why not say well everybody who's posts anything to produce writen documented evidence
    To back up a post

Have you any figures to prove your assertion?because your posts continue to read like some sort of Monty Python sketch

What exactly do you want to know? Il root out the links.

Fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Its public fact

Actually prove it isn't happening
    How can someone prove the non-existence of something? You've made the assertion and now the burden of proof lies on you

• Advertisement

Reekwind wrote: »
    How can someone prove the non-existence of something? You've made the assertion and now the burden of proof lies on you

So you don't live in a council estate or are on a council housing list

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement