Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people here know someone who committed suicide?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

irishbird wrote: »
    3.5 weeks ago, my wonderful cousin. cleaned the house, went in to the shed, drilled the door closed behind him, put the drill away neatly on the shelf and hung himself on a rig, he had built.

leaving behind a wife, a 4 year old daughter and a 7 year old son.

and hundreds of devastated people, some of whom will never recover

what is happening in this country?? i had stayed the night in his house 2 weeks before, we a great night and not a word was said. why not?

a girl i worked with, went out on her lunch break last christmas, bought a bottle of wine, drank and threw herself in the liffey. no one noticed she was missing from work until 2 days later when the police arrived.

7 people i went to school with have taken their own lives

Are you coping okay, seems it gave you a hard knock too. it is so hard to hear, and the kids must be told as well and wonder why til the day they die, no one to walk the girl now the aisle, or bring to the park or just mess around with them, life is cruel, suicide is so hard to take, an accident,cancer okay but suicide he cuts right through the friends and family left behind, look at gary speed or robert enke and thousands more i suppose.:mad:

Suicide is not selfish just like rape is not just sex. It is far more complex and rooted than to brandish it selfish. Ask a suicide survivor what they were thinking in the final moments it was not rational I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

methods of man because they know it works and want to succeed, not for attention. successful methods are not all 'violent'.
    if i wanted to i know by now 1 quick painless method, i know 'od' does not work, i tried it so why try again unless i wanted attention - spending your life on liver dialysis no thanks. the info is there for everyone, what works what doesn't.
    alcohol eases the pain, it's not the reason why one did it. contributes? hmm perhaps but the thought of taking your life
    was there before your first sip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Bother-in-law, Work mate, ex's nephew, mate of my brother, sister of mate,

Ages: 47-35-21-36-49

A wide spread of ages and all so unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'd assume (obviously don't know for certain) a big reason suicide rates are significantly higher among men than among women is: men are, culturally, expected to "tough it out" and not express themselves and not confide in anyone. And yet that culture isn't as prevalent anymore, I would have thought. Guess it is in some areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'd assume (obviously don't know for certain) that suicide rates are significantly higher among men than among women because men are, culturally, expected to "tough it out" and not express themselves and not confide in anyone. And yet that culture isn't as prevalent anymore, I would have thought. Guess it is in some areas though.

The 486 deaths recorded as suicides in 2010 consisted of 386 men and 100 women, so yes, men are far more likely to take their own lives.

@Irishbird: That was tough to read. I hope you're coping okay, and make sure to reach out to a counsellor or indeed anyone if you need assistance.

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    The 486 deaths recorded as suicides in 2010 consisted of 386 men and 100 women, so yes, men are far more likely to take their own lives.
    Wasn't in any way questioning that - post edited for clarity.

Absolutely horrific, Irishbird... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

depression is usually a slow burner taking months or years to get a grip of your life, by then you are a passenger not really in control of your life, negative feelings start, i am not good enough because i am too fat, thin , small, big, have small boobs, no confidence to talk to other sex, low self esteem etc etc. then you get feelings like it would be better if i was not here etc and months later you are standing on a bridge, taking pills, hanging, gunshot to relieve the pain. when a person is young living to 70/80 is a prison sentence and want the pain to end. Medicine and counselling may help people who look for it, my feeling is most people don't look for help they self medicate drinking drugs, dangerous behaviour high speed driving etc and eventually they snap and it is over in a matter of minutes.................stone cold dead...........he/she was so happy...........talking to him yesterday in great form... if you met your neighbour or a friend do you really tell them everything .....probably not.

Suicide is evil that is one thing i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Amazing. Look at the amount of posters who directly know a suicide victim. It's quite staggering to see the numbers involved. So many more people lose their lives this way than in road traffic accidents yet look at the massive media campaigns that warn us about the dangers on the road and how we should adjust our driving behaviour to reduce road deaths. I'd like to see a similar, relevant campaign to help us all recognise the signs of a suicidal relative or friend. I appreciate that the two are completely different and that it can be very difficult to 'spot' a suicidal person. Nevertheless, any increase in awareness may safe a life or two.

I've lost four friends to suicide. One was my best mate who moved away from Dublin and I didn't see him as often as I used to. The circumstances of his death were sort of covered up by the family but I had my suspicions. Unfortunately, my suspicions were confirmed on the day of the inquest. What a horrible day that was.

I've another friend who me and the other lads are very concerned about at the moment and we are taking every step we possibly can to keep an eye on him but it's not easy. It can be very hard to make people listen.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Amazing. Look at the amount of posters who directly know a suicide victim. It's quite staggering to see the numbers involved. So many more people lose their lives this way than in road traffic accidents yet look at the massive media campaigns that warn us about the dangers on the road and how we should adjust our driving behaviour to reduce road deaths. I'd like to see a similar, relevant campaign to help us all recognise the signs of a suicidal relative or friend. I appreciate that the two are completely different and that it can be very difficult to 'spot' a suicidal person. Nevertheless, any increase in awareness may safe a life or two.

I've lost four friends to suicide. One was my best mate who moved away from Dublin and I didn't see him as often as I used to. The circumstances of his death were sort of covered up by the family but I had my suspicions. Unfortunately, my suspicions were confirmed on the day of the inquest. What a horrible day that was.

I've another friend who me and the other lads are very concerned about at the moment and we are taking every step we possibly can to keep an eye on him but it's not easy. It can be very hard to make people listen.

ring the smartians about your friend get a professional opinion on how to deal with it, better than finding him dead and saying ..... i nkew it was coming. god loves a trier.

i reckon you are right proper media campaign each day with celebs would seriously reduce the suicide rate .... not end it but reduce it.

real suicide figures are probably closer to 1000 and no one cares in power. it is left to the smartians, pieta house, headstrong, SOSAD etc etc to deal with it.

• Advertisement

ring the smartians about your friend get a professional opinion on how to deal with it,

Yeah, already on the professional advice - no stone unturned is the best approach.

Pieta House is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Can't believe there is anyone who doesn't know someone. Thank God no one I would consider a close friend or close family member.

People I knew, though not close friends with - too many. So so many people suffer from this it is horrific. Thinking about the number or work colleagues, friends, extended family who have lost people to suicide is dreadful. You meet these people day after day getting on with their lives and it must be so hard.

Be nice to strangers ye meet people - life is tough.

wow sierra wrote: »

Be nice to strangers ye meet people - life is tough.

Well said and worth repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'd assume (obviously don't know for certain) a big reason suicide rates are significantly higher among men than among women is: men are, culturally, expected to "tough it out" and not express themselves and not confide in anyone. And yet that culture isn't as prevalent anymore, I would have thought. Guess it is in some areas though.

It is still very prevalent. Speaking from personal experience, the majority of self employed and business owners I know are male.

The pressure to stay afloat is suffocating. With every business that fails in this country due to the recession, you will have people who feel shame, personal failure and sense of letting their family down.

A lot of people don't want to talk becuase they don't see it as being helpful, they are up to their necks in debt and all the talking in the world won't fix that. The pressure is unreal.

Of course talking does help as no one is the first to experience anything. People have gotten through debt and other financial crisis's. Sharing this knowledge is paramount.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suppose the coroner has to be absolutely sure. No doubt many families would contest a verdict of suicide. Denial, life assurance claims and many other reasons.
    True MD though in the cases I knew you wouldn't require the long hard training and expertise of a coroner to call it.
    flyswatter wrote: »
    Why do men often opt for more violent means while women might od for example in a parasuicide? Is it more hesitation on the womens part or just one of those things? Obviously each case is different.
    IIRC I read before that one reason can be that women a) being generally less violent, don't seek out and violent end and b) they don't want to damage or disfigure their bodies. Plus an element of cry for help can be involved, so chose methods that take time leaving their fate to fate as it were. Like you say though every person is an individual.
    irishbird wrote: »
    i had stayed the night in his house 2 weeks before, we a great night and not a word was said. why not?
    I know it can be hard to figure. With one guy in my experience he actually appeared to be more content, even "happy" the night before(he had appeared down before because of personal circumstance, but not significantly so). I couldn't figure why myself. A rellie of mine who is a shrink mentioned that in some cases where people feel trapped with no way out and a feeling of no control over their lives the decision to take their lives itself can be a kind of release and this is more common with men who felt impotent in the face of life beforehand.
    India is a poorer country with less suicides, correct me if Im wrong?
    Yes, I think poverty is but one trigger. I'd say social isolation or the feeling of same is the bigger one. Or personal private poverty when the person feels others are doing better. If you're dirt poor in a Punjabi village, you're surrounded by others in the same boat as you, so there's a feeling of mutual understanding if not support. If you're in "middle class" suburbia 6 months in mortgage arrears with no obvious way out and all around you people are keeping up a charade of being OK too, then that isolation is far far more intense.

About three years ago now, a mate of a mate, who I knew, but not particularly well called into my gaff in the run up to Xmas, on some pretense I can't recall. I thought he'd been doing really well with his business, but as the convo progressed it turned out no. He was in deep shít financially. Didn't even have a few quid to buy his kids pressies. Outwardly looked like a great life, but the net was closing and this chap had even kept his wife in the dark. He felt utterly trapped. He actually said at one point, "with my mortgage insurance I'm better of to my family dead rather than alive". Now I/we talked him down from that midnset, but I suspect that's a common theme among many men in that position.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I've often heard that one of the reasons that suicide is more common in men than women is because men tend to pick "rougher" (totally not the right word, but I can't think of another one) suicide methods e.g. hanging, shooting, than women, who tend to veer towards overdoses etc - the rougher methods having a higher likelihood of working. According to suicideprevention.ie, 80% of suicide attempts occur in females, while 80% of deaths by suicide occur in males.

Not that I'm making light of the huge issue of suicide amongst men, it's just something to think about. I know there are so many societal reasons why it's harder for men to speak about how they're feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

India is a poorer country with less suicides, correct me if Im wrong?

You have taken that out of context from my post.
    I was addressing suicides and causes in IRELAND and that could possibly be due to the change in the socio-economic climate here.
    Not in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

[QUOTE=Eoin;80718450]Is this the case? I thought the divide was more along the lines of rural/urban.

I think the issue is with the word "commit", not "suicide". Personally I don't really think it equates it with a crime at all, but obviously people who've lost closer relatives and friends do.[/QUOTE]

I understand that suicide crosses the divide very elegantly between the "have's" and "havenot's" and it is not a curse put upon the poorer sections of society exclusively.
    I just wonder(out of my own curiosity)if there have been any decent studies done on "suicide rates within various sections of society" and what the stats would be if there had been.

Say take a Dublin postcode(considered affluent) and do a suicide per capita on that area.
    Then do likewise with another Dublin postcode(considered "underpriviledged"") and then compare.
    It would make very interesting reading I would think.

Also, on your point, compare rural and non rural locations in a similar fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

As mini-title says I wrote this myself. Was going to try get it published somewhere but hey boards.ie is somewhere :) I suffer from depression myself and was at a low-ebb recently so wanted to occupy my mind with some writing :)

This is long (1350 words) so if anyone reads it fair play to ye :)

Firstly I’m not a religious person, i don’t attend mass and i suffer from depression. Suffering from depression might seem disconnected to my piety but i’ll hold that thought. Secondly, the topic of suicide is never an easy subject to tackle. It can be approached from a multitude of socio-economic angles and from related mental health angles. The impact of recession, unemployment, financial hardship and related problems such as stress, depression and alcoholism is demonstrably clear.

When looking at the suicide rates in Ireland over the past 50 years one figure jumped out immediately. Between 1970 and 1975 the suicide rate in Ireland jumped from 1.8 to 4.7 per 100,000. This remains the largest 5 year increase in the rate of suicide recorded in this country.

It begs the obvious question – what happened in those years? Well, a lot, both domestically and internationally; i wanted to see if i could find anything exceptional in the period that may help to explain that jump. The suicide rate has continued to rise steadily since 1975 so it is easy to rule out a statistical anomaly.

It’s worth noting at this point that our neighbours in the UK experienced a slight drop of 0.4 per 100,000 by 1975.

Economically the early 1970s were not that bad and certainly not on the somewhat apocalyptic-feeling scale of recession of the past five years. Our population expanded by 13% during the 1970s in spite of an increasing emigration, whilst our neighbours over the water saw a fairly static population shift during the decade.

As i plough through the story of the early 1970s in Ireland i feel like Lieutenant Columbo, good old Peter Falk, stumbling into a crime scene with a niggling suspicion only to take his time bumbling to an inevitable conclusion – who did it! Except this isn’t television and there is never a neat resolution to the story of suicide. Nevertheless i wanted something that stood out to me as a possible factor, however tenuous, as there had to be many factors that explained this jump. Socio-economic factors weren’t pointing the way – our economy was growing, our population was growing and early 1970s Ireland was a fairly prosperous place to be.

By chance i stumbled across some literature on Irelands accession to the EEC in 1973; debates on the referendum to the constitution and the results of the vote. Could this have had any possible correlation to suicide in the country? I felt it was doubtful but worth exploring a little more. One thing it did highlight was secularisation. Of all the advantages Ireland gained from becoming a member of the European community, the church was probably not one of the chief recipients. Against this accession to Europe, with its more secularised ways, came a backdrop of a domestic movement towards secularism – for example the contraceptive movement, womens liberal rights, Mary Robinson et al.

Could the emergence of a more secular Ireland have had such a profound impact on suicide rates (or any at all)? What correlation exists between religion, happiness and taking ones own life? The 1970s marked the beginning of many declines in religious Ireland. Church attendances began to drop, numbers of Diocesan Priests began to drop and the power of the church itself in the country was beginning to wane. Most would argue given subsequent horrifying child abuse scandals that this was no bad thing.

I came across a poll from the Pew Institute taken in 2006 which showed a correlation between church attendance, income and general happiness. 21% of people polled on low incomes who didn’t attend mass regularly were happy, compared to 37% of people on the same low incomes who did attend regularly. Whether this is a case of religious fulfilment or merely a sense of belonging to something, those who attend church regularly appear to gain something. Of course, the correlation between happiness and suicide is complex in itself but as a sufferer of depression i can only anecdotally add i prefer to be happier within myself; and any negative thoughts tend not to occur during rare periods of inner peace.

Since 1975 there has been an inverted symmetry between the decline of church attendance and the increase in suicide rates. To suggest this as a cause of the increase in suicide rates would be to completely misunderstand the complex nature of suicide. However, to dismiss it completely as a factor in the debate might be going a little too far.

A 2009 Iona Institute report found a marked increase in church attendance in the previous year, with 66% attending once a month up from 54% the previous year. 2009 was conversely one of the lowest suicide rates reported in Ireland in the past decade. Again, the incidence and causation of suicide is not determinable by any sole factor, the improvement in frontline mental health services are much more likely to be a key factor in this drop in 2009 – but it is interesting to note the correlation nonetheless between the figures.

Suicide awareness and the mental health service will remain on the front line in attempting to reduce the suicide rates in this country. I won’t for one minute as a non-practicing Catholic suggest to anyone going to church is an answer to this problem – neither would i suggest there is any one answer to a multi-faceted problem. However, it seems to me a sense of belonging, a sense of community, a sense of purpose and faith intrinsic to church attendance seems to have a correlation on overall happiness. With priest numbers predicted to fall rapidly and church attendances likely to follow suit, it could be worth following any future impact, if any, this has on suicide incidence in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Nearly lost my brother to suicide 2 years ago. Family was distraught after it, mother stayed in bed for days, father and younger brother didn't say much for days while I didn't know how to cope, I just went to college and acted like nothing happened. I bottled everything up for close to a year before I started suffering from severe anxiety attacks daily and depression, which I still kept to myself until I briefly mentioned that I was feeling really stressed out to a guy at college who told me about the student counselling service in the college. I had also started self medicating by drinking huge amounts of alcohol on nights out to the point of where I blacked out every night, took xanax regularly and any other drug I could find to help calm me down but all it did was make me feel empty inside when I wasn't under some influence.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that i'd have done serious harm to myself if I hadn't seen the counselor when I did. Talking to someone really helped and it also made me find out that i'd been suffering from bipolar depression since my early teens but never realised it because I thought everyone felt the way I did at times. Now I have it under control and make sure to take time for myself to relax and talk to people even if I have a heavy workload because I never want to go back to where I was.

For those who say it's selfish to commit suicide, your mind stops thinking rationally when you hit rock bottom. At the start of my downward spiral I thought 'i'd never hurt myself as I care to much about my family', as things got worse it changed to 'how could I make it look like an accident to spare peoples feelings', then it changed to 'I want this **** feeling to end'.

Sorry about the long post but this is a subject I feel really strongly about and has affected my life in massive ways which i'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

Tisserand wrote: »
    I tried to take my own life back in early summer of this year. My financial situation is dire and I couldn't take any more. A family member discovered me 'in time' as everybody says, however, I just wish I hadn't been found, and allowed to die. I spent 10 days in a psychiatric hospital and let home again on tablets. I live alone - nobody offered to stay with me when I came home or offered to put me up, even for a few nights. I was absolutely still in bits and could have done it again and still feel suicidal as my financial circumstances are still the same and I can't seem to improve my situation. The only lesson I have learned from this is that the next time I try it, I will make sure I won't be found.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but in case it hasn't been mentioned please contact MABS with regard to your finances and then mymind.ie with regard to getting therapy they do offer services to people in financial trouble, I don't know where you are located but mymind are based in Dublin at least and I know they are planning to launch more. Please don't give up over money, I've been in your position and I got through the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

My brother commit suicide when he was 20 and i was just 17. 7 years on and it is still extremely hard to deal with.

It is by no means a selfish act. That person never does it to hurt other people, but more to escape from problems that they cannot face dealing with. I suggest that you put yourself in that persons shoes before judging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i know 2 people that have committed suicide. :(

Wibbs wrote: »
    True MD though in the cases I knew you wouldn't require the long hard training and expertise of a coroner to call it.
    Sought intervention the week before, stole a gun and blew his head off = misadventure.
    I know it can be hard to figure. With one guy in my experience he actually appeared to be more content, even "happy" the night before(he had appeared down before because of personal circumstance, but not significantly so). I couldn't figure why myself. A rellie of mine who is a shrink mentioned that in some cases where people feel trapped with no way out and a feeling of no control over their lives the decision to take their lives itself can be a kind of release and this is more common with men who felt impotent in the face of life beforehand.
    There's a certain relief to it alright. Personally I missed the "sweet spot" and wandered home.

Reading different posts on this reminds me of more and more cases, mental how many I'd forgotten about.

As for analysing the stats from a secularisation POV I'd guess the secularisation of the judges had a bigger impact on the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I saw this earlier today and hopefully it might strike a chord with someone who's struggling. A letter from Stephen Fry to a fan of his who was suffering from depression.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

A former work colleague of mine ended his life a couple of months ago. I'm still very sad over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Wibbs wrote: »

IIRC I read before that one reason can be that women a) being generally less violent, don't seek out and violent end and b) they don't want to damage or disfigure their bodies. Plus an element of cry for help can be involved, so chose methods that take time leaving their fate to fate as it were. Like you say though every person is an individual.

I would think of it using a balloon analogy. The female balloon is inflated but is gradually allowed to release itself from the pressure building up and deflates.

The male one grows and grows until it violently bursts.

What I'm saying is that women tend to speak about their feelings more and it acts as a form of therapy.

Whereas men generally don't as much and the depression grows and grows, culminating in something fatal (lethal suicide)

It must be encouraged that men speak about their issues. It's a sign of strength not weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just the one, he threw himself in front of a train, it didn't come out of the blue he had serious problems which he made worse by the usual ways with mainly alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Ive tried. Ive talked and ive done everything to avoid thinking about it. but i let everything catch up. I grab every little act ive ever done, everything ive ever said in life and let go... :(

My partner's brother committed suicide in may :(. least it gives me something to so focus on, helping my partner deal with it. Its a goal that i have to remain strong and be there for them.

Strangely ive been listening to this song all evening

Advertisement