Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Transposers/Relays upgraded to DTT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    Going Digital switchover presentation to members of the Oireachtas at Leinster House today
    New sites to be switched on in early Oct

The report on the Going Digital/Saorview switchover presentation to Oireachtas members at Leinster House on June 21st last states that 59 of the 64 sites have been upgraded for Saorview. Why are they waiting until October 1st for them to go live?
    RTÉNL gave the technical background to SAORVIEW and SAORSAT. They also provided information on coverage around the country. Did you know….

- 59 analogue transmission sites have been upgraded to provide SAORVIEW coverage
    - There are 5 new transmission sites
    - In excess of 98% of the population is covered
    - The new digital mast at Mullaghanish on the Cork/Kerry border is taller than the Dublin Spire

RTÉ Networks Limited also spoke to the Deputies about their ongoing work in upgrading other sites around the country. On the day, they announced that additional sites in West Cork, Waterford, Kerry, Clare. Louth and Donegal are being upgraded to digital and will be live from October 1st. This is great news for all the people in these areas as they prepare to go digital. If you want to see if you are covered by SAORVIEW please go to their coverage checker at the following link www.saorview.ie. If you have would like to find out more information on SAORSAT, please click here

http://www.goingdigital.ie/Info/News/Digital+switchover+presentation+to+members+of+the+Oireachtas.htm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The report on the Going Digital/Saorview switchover presentation to Oireachtas members at Leinster House on June 21st last states that 59 of the 64 sites have been upgraded for Saorview. Why are they waiting until October 1st for them to go live?

And also, if there's 8 of the new sites done already, surely they knew about the extra ones when they were still going about with their "go away and get Saorsat" message to the residents of west Cork up until two/three weeks ago? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I see the 'new' relays are below ch50 and potential 4g interference ...so far.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I see the 'new' relays are below ch50 and potential 4g interference ...so far.

Have they published the frequencies for the 9 new sites announced at the end of June yet?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm assuming he's referring to the March 2012 announced relays at Glenties, Bandon, Greenore and Dingle.

However, there's a simple reason why none of them will be transmitting DTT on channels over 50, neither of them are Group C/D. They're all transmitting (or will be) on their unused TV3 allocation.

Of the transmitters to come, Ennistymon, Rosscarbery, Kilaloe, Kilmacthomas transmit analog in Group C/D.

Mt. Gabriel is Group A, Clonmany, Leap and Drimoleague are Group B, and Timoleague is not in the RTE analog transmitters document (it's self help I assume), and has allocations on C30 and C34, but I'm not sure what it's actually using.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    However, there's a simple reason why none of them will be transmitting DTT on channels over 50, neither of them are Group C/D. They're all transmitting (or will be) on their unused TV3 allocation.

Only 2 of the sites are using their TV3 allocations that I can see but are in the same aerial groups

Site|Mux 1|TV3 allocation
    Glenties| 46| 46
    Bandon| 47| 47|
    Greenore| 43| 47
    Dingle| 30| 29
    Greenore was previously allocated Ch 47 for DTT but is now on Ch 43
    Of the transmitters to come, Ennistymon, Rosscarbery, Kilaloe, Kilmacthomas transmit analog in Group C/D.

Mt. Gabriel is Group A, Clonmany, Leap and Drimoleague are Group B, and Timoleague is not in the RTE analog transmitters document (it's self help I assume), and has allocations on C30 and C34, but I'm not sure what it's actually using.

Timoleague is Group A and was allocated Ch 26 for DTT previously.

Drimoleague was previously allocated Ch 35 for DTT
    Kilmacthomas was previously allocated Ch 51 for DTT
    Leap was previously allocated Ch 37 for DTT

Only 2 of the sites are using their TV3 allocations that I can see but are in the same aerial groups

Site|Mux 1|TV3 allocation
    Glenties| 46| 46
    Bandon| 47| 47|
    Greenore| 43| 47
    Dingle| 30| 29Greenore was previously allocated Ch 47 for DTT but is now on Ch 43

Timoleague is Group A and was allocated Ch 26 for DTT previously.

Drimoleague was previously allocated Ch 35 for DTT
    Kilmacthomas was previously allocated Ch 51 for DTT
    Leap was previously allocated Ch 37 for DTT

1 channel off for Dingle and only a few channels off for Greenore, I was close :P

The allocations all fit within their aerial group for analog, so I assume that Rosscarbery, Kilaloe and Ennistymon will all get Group C/D allocations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

And also, if there's 8 of the new sites done already, surely they knew about the extra ones when they were still going about with their "go away and get Saorsat" message to the residents of west Cork up until two/three weeks ago? :confused:

Like the Three Rock frequency change they have not announced yet but scheduled for the 10th July.:mad:

Its a good job most aerial installers in Dublin have installed group A aerials as no-one around here watches Ch4.

Like the Three Rock frequency change they have not announced yet but scheduled for the 10th July.:mad:

Its a good job most aerial installers in Dublin have installed group A aerials as no-one around here watches Ch4.
    I'm not so sure if there'll be that many problems.

Southsiders with Group C/D aerials will mostly be ok with the massively powerful DTT signal from Three Rock.

Northsiders will still be able to receive from Kippure mostly.

Anyone with Group A/W will obviously have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

both drimoleague and leap transposers were transmitting dtt on 35 and 37 along time ago,the transmissions only lasted for a few weeks im sorry to say but at least common sense has prevailed finally.

• Advertisement

Slightly OT but this thread seems a little close.

RTENL previously tendered for a DTT relay to cover Killarney, and after searching, I can't find where it was to be located. The most likely places to site it are with the Radio Kerry and Spin SW transmitters up in Tullig, at the Headford relay near Lough Guitane which covers some of the town, the MMDS beambender which is somewhere on the southern side of the town or a new site.

Anyone know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

MarkK wrote: »

I forgot to mention in the previous post that it was removed from the 2010 planned rollout and was never enabled :o

RTENL previously tendered for a DTT relay to cover Killarney, and after searching, I can't find where it was to be located. The most likely places to site it are with the Radio Kerry and Spin SW transmitters up in Tullig, at the Headford relay near Lough Guitane which covers some of the town, the MMDS beambender which is somewhere on the southern side of the town or a new site.

Anyone know? :)

According to the Easy TV commercial DTT application, which included RTÉ, it was to be located at the Plaza Hotel (Site co-ords 96534E, 90624N).

According to the Easy TV commercial DTT application, which included RTÉ, it was to be located at the Plaza Hotel (Site co-ords 96534E, 90624N).
    Thanks for that The Cush :). Would've made sense for it to be up in Tullig as that would've sorted other nearby blackspots but Killarney has surprisingly good coverage of Saorview.

The only spot of bother is out on the Cork road (tiny square), but I'd say it won't be a problem. The majority of the houses in there have 3 aerials (2x side by side VHF and 1 big long UHF) which will hopefully pull in adaquete Saorview.

Anyway, back to the topic. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79602079&postcount=431

Works at 3 of the new announced sites this week, likely related to Saorview rollout.

Confirmation in a Dáil reply recently that the new sites will go live on October 1st
    Broadcasting Services
    Tuesday, 3 July 2012

406. Deputy Michael McCarthy

asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if he will list the remaining sites in west Cork which are being dropped from the existing analogue system and which to date still do not have access to digital transmission; the position regarding Saorview or Saorsat in areas (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): ...

As you are aware, RTÉNL gave a presentation at a special briefing I arranged for Oireachtas members on 21st June 2012. During this briefing the differences between analogue and digital terrestrial transmission were explained, for example, digital uses fewer transmission sites but higher transmission power. Also the fact that it is not possible to provided 100% coverage of digital terrestrial television was explained.

At the same presentation, RTÉNL indicated that SAORVIEW coverage will be further enhanced by the addition of a number of new transmitter sites, including areas of West Cork such as Leap, Bandon, Timoleague, Rosscarbery, Drimoleague, and Mount Gabriel. These sites will be live from October 1st 2012. Further information on coverage is available on the SAORVIEW coverage checker on www.saorview.ie .

I forgot to mention in the previous post that it was removed from the 2010 planned rollout and was never enabled :o

It was part of an early 2009 tender . I bolded the ones that simply disappeared afterwards. Damned if I know what they were up to. :(

Arklow 21 24 27 32 V
    Suir Valley 52 56 60 66 V and 53 57 63 Analogue
    Forth Mountain 52 56 60 66 V
    Gallows Hill 22 25 28 32 V
    Drogheda 21 24 27 31 V
    Tonabrocky 23 26 29 33 V
    Tipperary 23 26 29 33 V
    Killarney 41 44 47 51 V
    Navan 22 25 28 32 H
    Skerries 22 25 28 32 V
    Loughrea 37 39 42 45 V

Árainn Mhór 41 44 45 47 V and 39 42 49 Analogue
    Letterkenny 53 57 60 63 V and 52 56 68 Analogue

Source in equipment supplier indicates that no further tramsnitters will be enabled in 2012 but that RTENL have indicated to them that they will probably launch 5 transmitters in 2013.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

That doesn't make any sense: are people in the affected areas supposed to rely on Saorsat in the meantime or just do without? (Or, God forbid, they leave analogue running.)

Going by this forum, there already seem to be installers who jumped the gun where Saorsat is concerned & carried out consumer installations even before minimum dish sizes had been confirmed, so there's clearly interest in the service.

Ah well, it's comforting to know that the whole thing was "planned" as well as anything ever is in this country. I mean, I thought the whole point of a plan was to allow for every eventuality, including political pressure, so you don't have to backtrack later on. Having said that, it's foolish to try & take something away that people have got used to, like terrestrial tv coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

That doesn't make any sense

This is RTE we're talking about; any prediction of what they're likely to do next has a good chance of coming true, even if it's only plucked out of thin air.

Confirmation in a Dáil reply recently that the new sites will go live on October 1st

Not all sites will live by Oct 1st it appears, this from Saorview on facebook
    RTÉNL have told us that they now have the equipment and they are expecting the new masts to be built in the first week of October. As soon as we have any more definite dates we will post on facebook and the website.

http://www.facebook.com/saorview/posts/389778247758867

New masts? I don't see what's wrong with the current masts at Bandon, Rosscarbery and Leap. Admittedly the one at Timoleague is only a pole, and I've never seen Drimoleague. Is the Mt Gabriel TX still just UHF panels stuck to the outside of the radar building?

If the sites at Rosscarbery, Leap and Bandon are ready they should be on the air and allow users to switch. RTENL have had ample time to build new masts and they shouldn't be at this craic "building new masts" three weeks before switchover.

New masts? I don't see what's wrong with the current masts at Bandon, Rosscarbery and Leap. Admittedly the one at Timoleague is only a pole, and I've never seen Drimoleague. Is the Mt Gabriel TX still just UHF panels stuck to the outside of the radar building?

If the sites at Rosscarbery, Leap and Bandon are ready they should be on the air and allow users to switch. RTENL have had ample time to build new masts and they shouldn't be at this craic "building new masts" three weeks before switchover.

Maybe they mean upgrading/installing DTT equipment at the existing sites.

Updated list of DTT sites, Saorview Frequencies rev. 2.3
    Frequencies added for the last 9 new DTT sites.

Main Sites
    • Cairn Hill Longford 47H
    • Clermont Carn Louth 53V
    • Dungarvan Waterford 55H
    • Holywell Hill Donegal 30H
    • Kippure Wicklow 54H
    • Maghera Clare 48H
    • Mount Leinster Carlow 45H
    • Mullaghanish Cork 21H
    • Spur Hill Cork 45H
    • Three Rock Dublin 54H
    • Truskmore Sligo 53H
    • Woodcock Hill Clare (Limerick) 47H

Relay/Transposer Sites
    • Achill Mayo 47V
    • Arklow Wicklow 21V
    • Arranmore Donegal 47V
    • Ballybofey Donegal 47V
    • Bantry Cork 52H&V
    • Cahir Tipperary Sth. 28V
    • Casla (RnaG) Galway 45V
    • Castlebar Mayo 22H
    • Castletownbere Kerry 55V
    • Clifden Galway 26V
    • Clonakilty Cork 48H
    • Clonmel Waterford 55H
    • Cnoc an Oir Kerry 47V
    • Collins Barracks Cork 50V
    • Crosshaven Cork 46V
    • Dooncarton Belmullet, Mayo 27H&V
    • Fanad Donegal 55V
    • Fermoy Cork 52V
    • Ferrypoint Waterford 47V
    • Forth Mountain Wexford 52V
    • Gallows Hill (Rathfadden) Waterford (City) 22V
    • Glanmire Cork 47H
    • Glencolmcille Donegal 45H
    • Gorey Wexford 55H
    • Greystones Wicklow 52V
    • Kilduff Tipperary Nth. 52H
    • Kilkeaveragh Kerry 47V
    • Kinsale Cork 30V
    • Knockmoyle Kerry 52V
    • Laragh Wicklow 47H
    • Letterkenny Donegal 53V
    • Maamclassach Kerry 46V
    • Magheraroarty Donegal 22V
    • Malin Donegal 28H
    • Mitchelstown Cork 40V
    • Monaghan (Lugad) Monaghan 55H
    • Moville Donegal 45H
    • Suir Valley Waterford 52V
    • Tonabrocky Galway 26V

Relay Sites to be added in 2012
    • Bandon Cork 47H
    • Dingle Kerry 30V
    • Glenties Donegal 46H
    • Greenore Louth 43V
    • Mount Gabriel Cork 37H & V
    • Leap Cork 44H (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Rosscarbery Cork 57H (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Drimoleague Cork 42V (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Timoleague Cork 29V (currently used for analogue RTÉ1)
    • Kilmacthomas Waterford 46V (outside of existing analogue Group C/D aerial)
    • Ballina/Killaloe Clare 58V (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Ennistymon Clare 58H (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Clonmany Donegal 49V (currently used for analogue TG4)

Green = On-Air (24 May 2011) - 51 sites
    Blue = Planned for Oct 2012 - 13 sites

Frequencies at Rosscarbery, Clonmany, Leap, Killaloe, Ennistymon, Drimoleague are currently in use by analogue services (mainly RTE Two).

Looks like Oct 24th or after for these sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Frequencies at Rosscarbery, Clonmany, Leap, Killaloe, Ennistymon, Drimoleague are currently in use by analogue services (mainly RTE Two).

Looks like Oct 24th or after for these sites.

They might temporarily move the analogue channel concerned to the never used TV3 allocation at those sites. Or discontinue TG4 and move the RTE channel to TG4's channel . A scenario of only analogue TV available up to such a date, and then only digital the following day would be too much of a upheaval in those places, especially for the elderly.

Antenna wrote: »
    They might temporarily move the analogue channel concerned to the never used TV3 allocation at those sites. Or discontinue TG4 and move the RTE channel to TG4's channel . A scenario of only analogue TV available up to such a date, and then only digital the following day would be too much of a upheaval in those places, especially for the elderly.
    Makes you wonder why they just don't broadcast the digital mux on the unused TV3 allocation :confused:

Relay Sites to be added in 2012
    • Bandon Cork 47H
    • Dingle Kerry 30V
    • Glenties Donegal 46H
    • Greenore Louth 43V
    • Mount Gabriel Cork 37H & V
    • Leap Cork 44H (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Rosscarbery Cork 57H (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Drimoleague Cork 42V (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Timoleague Cork 29V (currently used for analogue RTÉ1)
    • Kilmacthomas Waterford 46V (outside of existing analogue Group C/D aerial)
    • Ballina/Killaloe Clare 58V (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Ennistymon Clare 58H (currently used for analogue RTÉ2)
    • Clonmany Donegal 49V (currently used for analogue TG4)

Bandon
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Bandon transposer on or before 1st October.

Dingle
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Dingle transposer on or before 1st October.

Glenties
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Glenties transposer on or before 1st October.

Greenore
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Greenore transposer on or before 1st October

Mount Gabriel
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Mount Gabriel transposer on or before 1st October.

Leap
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Leap transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the RTÉ Two Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

Rosscarbery
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Rosscarbery transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the RTÉ Two Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

Drimoleague
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Drimoleague transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the RTÉ Two Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

Timoleague
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Timoleague transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the RTÉ One Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

Kilmacthomas
    SAORVIEW will go live from from the Kilmacthomas transposer on or before 1st October.

Ballina/Killaloe
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Ballina/Killaloe transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the RTÉ Two Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

Ennistymon
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Ennistymon transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the RTÉ Two Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

Clonmany
    SAORVIEW will go live from the Clonmany transposer some time between 24th September and 1st October. In order to facilitate the switch on of SAORVIEW, the TG4 Analogue service will cease operating on the same day as SAORVIEW goes live. The other analogue channels will remain on air until 24th October.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Cush :)

As a matter of interest, is it published somewhere?

Advertisement