Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Saturday 23rd June - 5m in 46.03......should have been 10k in 49.50:rolleyes:

Seeing as i wasn't racing tonight, i decided i'd better do an easy run and so I planned on doing the 10k i was missing but as i was running in the rain and plodding in the puddles i decided the best course of action would be a 5m and aim for 10/12 tomorrow.

With marathon training starting on Monday, i'm still not sure if i'm back up to enough mileage to start the P&D 18 week plan, so i might do a couple of buildup weeks usning Ecolis plans and then do the 12 week P&D plan....not sure what else i can do witht he low mileage for the last few weeks....

Anyway i had no garmin with me and just timed a 5m out and back route i could do in my sleep. it was pretty even paced as i wasn't worried about pace but it took me the out 2.5m to settle into the run. Back in time to make pancakes for the kids after their dinner!!!:D

Totals :D
    WTD:16.73m
    MTD: 46.05m
    YTD: 476.77m

Sunday 24th June - 11.02m in 1:53:06 @ 10.16/155

I was determined to do 10 -12 m today for peace of mind more that anything, to prove to myself that i could before the marathon training starts tomorrow!!
    Its been a few weeks since i ran 5 days in one week and only for the original plan was to run a race yesterday, i would have had a few more miles in on Tue & Thur, but probalby just as well.
    Set off with great intention and the weather was glorious...i was sweating within 1 mile and breathing was pretty laboured even though pace and HR were fine.

At 2 miles, just at the foot of a small long hill, I stopped to stretch and hide a small bottle of water, as i was carrying a 250ml water and a 500ml juice. I have never stopped in LSR to stretch before but it definitely helped to loosen out the legs and gave breathing & HR a chance to settle a bit.... after this i was definitely more comfortable and continued along until i reached the 5m turning point, i decided i'd go a bit further to a junction and then turn. I stopped at the junction (5.45m), stretched more, and then headed back, was very tempted to go another bit but no turned.....i was definitely feeling comfortable and found the pace creeping up, had to rein it in a few times....when i got to the junction to turn left for home, i went right and added in a little bit more to round it up to 11 miles, i just couldn't look att he garmin and see 10.9...
    Was definitely tired after the run but could have kept going!

10.14/153,
    10.09/155,
    10.28/158,
    10.32/155,
    10.19/159,
    10.19/155,
    10.08/153,
    10.14/154,
    10.16/154,
    10.06/155,
    10.07/162

i need to work a bit harder on keeping the pace a bit more even...:o

Totals:D
    WTD:27.75m
    MTD: 57.07m
    YTD: 487.79m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice work....and definitely a good confidence booster to start your marathon training with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Well done Anne, great running

Marathon Training - The Plan (for now, anyway, some of you might have noticed i like to change my mind:rolleyes:)

Well I have decided to follow Ecoli's plan for the next few weeks and build back up my fitness slow & steady and then I will switch to the P&D up to 55 miles, 12 week plan or stay with Ecoli's plan, that decision is for a later date.

So this weeks plan looks like this

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|15 min recovery|5 miles RACE|1 hr 45 easy

Session 1 - 1 mile easy, 20 min diagonals*, 1 mile easy

Looking forward to tomorrows run, i intend to include most of the 5m Race route. Suppose to be 6m but i have no idea if it will come in under or over??:o

I will be at Garda HQ carpark, at 12.30 and will go North rd, Odd Lamp rd, Acres Rd, down the Kyber:D, Military rd, Upper Glen rd, Furze Rd, Chesterfield ave, back to start. it will be about 10min pm so if anyone wants to join me, just give me a shout...My starting time is flexible too:D

Probably do the same route on Thursday!!!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 26th June - Week 1, Day 1 -7.20m in 1:11:00 @ 9.52/160

Hurray, first one done & dusted.

My plan was to try and include some of Satudays 5m race route into todays run and as a result it worked out a bit longer that it should have. There was no way i was going to stop and walk the last mile back (there's the 1000mile challenge to think off and i'm way behind on that now:rolleyes:)

Anyway OMG it's very warm & muggy out and i was sweating buckets, there was a little drizzle starting as i headed out and i didn't mind but it never developed into cooling showers!!

This run felt tough in lots of places, pace was a bit uneven (no surprise there) and i was glad to get it done. I got my runners destroyed in wet muck and they'll never be clean and shiny again:mad:

9.54/147
    9.48/157,
    9.50/158,
    9.41/160,
    10.01/173,
    9.52/166,
    9.59/164,
    9.42/168(.20)

The HR is a bit high considering the easy pace i was going at, but i definitely felt like it was a tough run and i'm definitley not back to 100% but its done and now i can move on to day2!!!

I won't be doing the same route Thursday but will do most of it...just go to kyber a shorter way!!!

Totalsbiggrin.gif
    WTD
    :7.20m
    MTD: 64.27m
    YTD: 494.99m

Wednesday 27th June - 1m warmup, 20mins diagonals, 1 m cool down

I headed off to the local football pitch for this as i didn't fancy doing it in the Polo grounds in teh Phoenix Park, reckoned it would have been hard to judge it.....and knew it was a bit cooler further up in the North East ' home,

1m warm up was at 10.31
    Diagonals
    .11m @ 8.53/171 in 56 secs with 37 sec recovery,
    .11m @ 8.28/167 in 55 secs with 38 sec "
    .11m @ 8.18/171 in 55 secs with 38 sec "
    .12m @ 8.14/171 in 57 secs with 38 sec "
    .11m @ 8.13/171 in 55 secs with 38 sec "
    .11m @ 8.12/174 in 56 secs with 48 sec " this was longer as i was marking the corner as i was finding it difficult to judge the end:o
    .11m @ 7.56/173 in 52 secs with 39 sec recovery
    .11m @ 8.22/166 in 53 secs with 40 sec "
    .11m @ 7.57/173 in 52 secs with 44 sec "
    .11m @ 7.55/173 in 51 secs with 41 sec "
    .11m @ 7.52/174 in 50 secs with 40 sec "
    .11m @ 7.37/177 in 50 secs with 38 sec "
    .11m @ 7.29/180 in 47 secs with 38 sec "
    .11m @ 7.28/179 in 48 secs with 47 sec "

Cool down = 1.24m @10.23/167

Total 4.61m

I enjoyed this sessions and it was great to do something different. I started off cautiously as it was to be continous running, but as i got nearer the end of the 20mins i speeded up a bit as i knew i would manage to finish without falling over even thought i was sweating buckets!!

Thursday 28th June - 6.30m @9.44/157
    It was only when i was at about 3m did i realise that i probaably shouldn't be doing a 6m run today because of the race Saturday morning but as it was an out and back all i could do was finish it. I was sweating too much to walk the last mile as i would have been freezing when i got home, there was a fairly strong wind blowing by 8pm tonight and earlier at about 5pm a very heavy hail shower took the heavy heat out of the air, so bar the strong wind it was pretty perfect running weather!!!:D

I don't have mile splits as i had that function turned off for yesterdays session and i forgot to turn it back on.

Legs felt very heavy and tired by the end......

Totalsbiggrin.gif
    WTD:18.11m
    MTD: 75.18m
    YTD: 505.90m

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I was wondering what diagonals were, same benefits as intervals?
    Look forward to following your marathon training- you probably have said it somewhere but are you aiming for a certain time?

A sessions of diagonals is a way to work on leg turnover and efficient running form, it differs from intervals in that intervals you run a certain paces to improve the basic speed.

This was definitely different to the intervals and i didn't feel like I was pushing too hard, even thought i increased the speed...plus it was continous running whereas with intervals, some of my recoveries would be walking to get the breathing and H/R down a bit!!

2010 - 4.41
    2011 - 4.27,
    2012 - My aim is sub 4, and i am thinking positivley that i can achieve it as i have been following the plans set by Ecoli weekly since last years marathon and i have seen great improvements in my times so far. I tend to stick to a program well and therefore I'm hoping to reap the benefits in Oct:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Younganne wrote: »
    A sessions of diagonals is a way to work on leg turnover and efficient running form, it differs from intervals in that intervals you run a certain paces to improve the basic speed.

This was definitely different to the intervals and i didn't feel like I was pushing too hard, even thought i increased the speed...plus it was continous running whereas with intervals, some of my recoveries would be walking to get the breathing and H/R down a bit!!

2010 - 4.41
    2011 - 4.27,
    2012 - My aim is sub 4, and i am thinking positivley that i can achieve it as i have been following the plans set by Ecoli weekly since last years marathon and i have seen great improvements in my times so far. I tend to stick to a program well and therefore I'm hoping to reap the benefits in Oct:eek:

Your description of the session sounds like you hit it on the nose perfectly that is exactly what the objective of the session is. Shouldnt be a hard session but will stand to you in terms of injury prevention and keeping the legs in touch with speed as you build the miles through the base phase

• Advertisement

madon wrote: »
    I was wondering what diagonals were, same benefits as intervals?

The explanation that I give regarding these in the DCM 2011 ongoing training thread
    ecoli wrote: »
    * - diagonals involve a football pitch where you stride from corner to corner of the pitch and your recovery between these is jogging lightly the width of the pitch. This should be all continuous running so take this in mind when you are doing the strides when you are determining effort. These should be comfortably fast, not hard or all out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good luck in the morning Anne. Give it socks.

Saturday 30th June - Race series 5 miles Chip time 40.06
    Well this was my first ever 5m race so i had nothing to compare it to but i knew that McMillan had me sub 40 going on previous races. I knew i wasn't back to this level yet but i'd give it a good try. Did a 1.8m warm up and slotted into the back of the 30 - 40 min wave and praying that i wouldn't be left tagging waaaay behind everyone else...but not so, i spent the first mile trying to pass people who were jogging along/walking and had obviously got their waves mixed up:rolleyes:

When the first mile was done it was 8.01 on my watch and from there i
    knew i wouldn't be getting 38/39mins and sub 40 was looking and feeling very unlikey....my legs were tight and i felt like i was unable to run any faster, despite my head saying i could........
    mile 2 was 7.54 and mile 3 was 7.48 and this was using the Kyber to try and build in a bit of a cushion for mile 4, mile 4 was 7.45 and then i started dying bit by bit, mile 5 was 8.06, i just couldn't get the legs to go any faster, i was dying inside too, bit by bit( notr really, just thought it sounded good!!!:rolleyes:) bu tthe last 436ft were @ 7.06 so i managed to pull that bit back!!!
    Overall on Garmin 40.09 for 5.08m @ avg pace 7.54 avg hr 184, max pace 6.25 max HR 193

I think i'll start a new trend cause Sub XX is so yesterday:o

My 5k PB is 24.01,
    10k PB is 50.00
    and now
    my 5m PB is 40.09:D

2.12m cooldown to round it off nicely to 9m total today

i gave everything i had in this race and i don't think i could have found another second from anywhere and as a result i know have a migraine developing which sometimes happens after races:eek:...i'll have to drive home the 65km now and try get there before it affects my eyes and then hit the bed for a while and see if i can shift it...
    I will have to check the chip time later but it reckon its pretty close to the Garmin

Totalsbiggrin.gif
    WTD:27.11m
    MTD: 84.18m
    YTD: 514.90m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

40.06 if your real name is what I think it is :D
    So close. You'll get sub 40 next time.

menoscemo wrote: »
    40.06 if your real name is what I think it is :D
    So close. You'll get sub 40 next time.

You're probably right as it wouldn't be hard to work it out when you ethe real one:rolleyes:

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Anne, not an easy race with those crowds.
    I'm assuming you're heading back up to the big smoke later.

Great result Younganne

Given that you are coming off sickness couple of weeks back and a full week in terms of mileage this week with no taper its a great result on that course. Definitely a sub 40 5 mile (and sub 50 10k) just off the shape you are in at the moment

Well done today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Anne, great time. Sub 40 next time, definitely :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done Anne, not an easy race with those crowds.
    I'm assuming you're heading back up to the big smoke later.

i wish.....i have to give up this running lark...i don't have much of a social life and this is the second time a race has interfered in the little bit of social life that i could have. Missing out on whats bound to be a great night in town tonight with the ladies...Ladies hope you all have a great time.....next meet up will have to be on a non racing day;)

ecoli wrote: »
    Great result Younganne

Given that you are coming off sickness couple of weeks back and a full week in terms of mileage this week with no taper its a great result on that course. Definitely a sub 40 5 mile (and sub 50 10k) just off the shape you are in at the moment

Well done today

Thanks Ecoli, its very frustrating when the mind knows you can go faster but the body just won't engage....i'll get there eventually...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

Well done Anne! You're on the right track for sub 4 DCM!
    Don't worry about the :06 bit... happened to me too today, and even smaller number :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done Anne. That's a good time on a tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Well done on a great time:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Anne. :)

Younganne wrote: »
    Thanks Ecoli, its very frustrating when the mind knows you can go faster but the body just won't engage....i'll get there eventually...:D

Hindsight can be a curse. IIRC I remember you posting something about being luck to break 42.30 during the week?;)

Seriously its was a great run and should be a confidence builder to know you can do that kinda time at 90%. Your next 5 miler the 40 min will be an afterthought

Sunday 1st July - 6.12m @10.15/157

Slow and steady recovery run, decided against doing a LSR of anything more than 6 m. Got back and legs were a bit tight so spent a bit of time on the foam roller and felt like i had new legs afterwards ;)

I went out shortly after 11 for this run and it was very humid with very little wind and i was soon roasting...but seeing the rain this evening i was delighted that i had it done and didn't have to venture out in the rain...i don't mind the rain but i hate that drizzly light stuff..pretty tired now so will be hitting the leabe soon after the footie:rolleyes:, still have a touch of my headache from yesterday so a good sleep is in order to tackle a new week !!!

Today, I just went by feel for this run and when the body was very tired( at about 3m) i just slowed it down until i was feeling good again and then it naturally went back to a similar pace i was doing....first mile was too fast and i had to conciously slow it down as it was a recover run!!

10.03/166:eek:, 10.18/155, 10.10/154, 10.25/155, 10.17/154, 10.16/157, (.12)10.13/170 long uphill incline to finish

Totalsbiggrin.gif
    WTD
    :33.23m
    MTD: 6.12m
    YTD: 521.02m

Marathon Plan - Week 2

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|5Km Race|6m easy|Session *|15 min recovery|1 hr 45 easy

Friday session: 1 mile warm up, 10x30 sec hills @ 5k-5m effort jog back down recovery, 1 mile cooldown

Plan is to do the session Friday, but might have to be switched to Sat

My easy pace is 9.27 - 9.57.

Week 2 - Run 1 Tuesday 3rd July - 6m in 59:05 @ 9.51/159
    this was just inside the easy pace band but it felt a little harder than it should have been. Legs were fine, but i found the heat very intense and again i was sweating buckets......my route was North rd, Ordance survey rd, upper Glen rd, Military rd, Wellington rd and back to North Rd, opposite route to the 5m race, but still a few nice hills in there.

I also ran with someone so found the talking and breathing a bit tought at times...no fear of me shuting up for 5 mins:o

9.54/152, 9.36/160, 9.41/158, 10.00/156, 9.50/166, 10.04/167

Happy enough with the pace and i slowed it down near the end instead of the usual speeding up(but i guess the hill on Wellington rd helped there:D)

Totalsbiggrin.gif
    WTD
    :6.00m
    MTD: 12.12m
    YTD: 527.02m

Good work Anne and well done on Saturday. Are you doing the 10 mile in August ???

Good work Anne and well done on Saturday. Are you doing the 10 mile in August ???

I signed up for the 4 races in the Race series and the marathon a few weeks back, but i will be missing the 10k on July 22nd, but will be in Park for 10m...Are you gearing up for that??

• Advertisement

That's the goal anyway. Going to aim for a 1.19.
    Also going to do the half marathon in September which is also my birthday so going to spend the night up there maybe not a good idea after running 13 miles (aim 1.46)

Going to pay entry fee as soon as Ulster bank pay me

Advertisement