Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Revue with Google TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Looks like Google TV will be around for a while yet:
    Google TV switching to ARM

Wonder what it means for the Revue? Hopefully will be supported for a while yet, will take some time for devices with integrated Google TV to populate market. I wondered why ARM wasn't used to begin with, instead of Intel Atom 41xx, then read that when Google TV was designed, most ARM chips ran at about 800MHz, whereas the Atom runs at 1.2GHz.
    Makes sense - Boxee switched too due to unavailability of Tegra2 in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Tiesto wrote: »
    dunworth,
    I just installed the logitech media server on my laptop.
    The Logitech Media Player is already installed on my Revue
    when I open it , it attempts to detect sources and then fails.
    Any idea what im doing wrong?

thanks

your firewall may be blocking it try disabling any security software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

dunworth1 wrote: »
    your firewall may be blocking it try disabling any security software.

I dont have any .. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

I just installed Google TV remote on my Android phone and it works great. I have (almost!) full control of the Revue, TV, STB from my HTC desire :D

Its not available on Market to us here so it'll have to be side-loaded. Here is the download if anyone else wants to try: http://www.mediafire.com/?hw5ha60ry7ks8wt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Tiesto wrote: »
    I dont have any .. :rolleyes:

windows does have a firewall built in :rolleyes:

can you give more detail is the error on the pc or the revue?

how are they connected to you network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

Another option for anyone that doesn't want to leave a computer up running all the time is to use a NAS hard drive connected directly to a router. The Logitech Media Player App that comes installed can automatically pick up the disk on the network and just a matter of browsing to play the content you want (works for me anyway using a western digital NAS).

Some apps that i've successfully side loaded (It appears that most apps that run on a tablet in landscape mode work, forget about any apps that only support portrait):
    Accuweather
    BBC News
    Google Currents
    Dropbox
    gReader Pro
    K-9 Mail (find it very strange there is inbuilt gmail client)
    Google Maps
    Pocket Casts
    TV Listings

Things I like:
    After reading about the painful setup process, it turned out to be a very smooth process and I was finished in 5 minutes. I'm feeding the UPC HD box through the revue, had no problems selecting my model number. I was expecting to have to stick the IR blaster in front of the box to use the keyboard to control the HD box but somehow the revue gives me access to the entire UPC box e.g. I press guide on the keyboard and the UPC guide is displayed or DVR on the keyboard and I'm brought through to my recordings etc. Only thing connecting the two devices - UPC box and Revue is the HDMI cable - unless something was downloaded to the keyboard itself wirelessly.

The Logitech Media Player actually works very well playing media off a NAS device. Its a lot more responsive than my Samsung Smart TV which has the same capabilities.

Things I don't like:
    No Power Switch on the revue or standby mode.
    I have a Logitech Harmony One Remote, setup the revue in the software and uploaded to the remote but for some strange reason I just cannot get it to work with the revue at all(don't want to have to use the keyboard all the time).
    I'm not too fond of the navigation implemented in Chrome. Its a bit Hit and miss, some times you can use the cursor key on the keyboard to scroll through a web page and other times you can't - you have to zoom in which defeats the purpose of having a browser on a tv. In saying that, it works a lot better than the browser on the samsung smart tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I don't want to have my power hungry pc running as a server so I'm using file expert to ftp into a hard drive connected to my router. It's working very well apart for not being able to clear the play info at the bottom of the screen.

If anyone figures out how to get rid of it please post the solution.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That NAS drive connected to the router seems interesting. Is there anyway of checking what type of drive a portable drive is? I'm assuming a NAS drive would have an Ethernet port on it, or does your router have USB on it? Also, would an Xbox pick the drive up? I've 3 in the house and it would be brilliant if they could.

Thanks

antodeco wrote: »
    That NAS drive connected to the router seems interesting. Is there anyway of checking what type of drive a portable drive is? I'm assuming a NAS drive would have an Ethernet port on it, or does your router have USB on it? Also, would an Xbox pick the drive up? I've 3 in the house and it would be brilliant if they could.

Thanks

The drive would need to have an ethernet port, something like here. I would say the xbox should pick it up(I know the PS3 does), any device that supports DNLA will work.

Thanks for that. I have one, but it's in use in my little ones room. Hmm. Could it be "reverse engineered" in that I plug a hard drive into the revue and in turn, stream it from the revue to the rest of the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

podge3 wrote: »
    I just installed Google TV remote on my Android phone and it works great. I have (almost!) full control of the Revue, TV, STB from my HTC desire :D

Its not available on Market to us here so it'll have to be side-loaded. Here is the download if anyone else wants to try: http://www.mediafire.com/?hw5ha60ry7ks8wt

Oh thanks so much! I've got the revue app and it didn't want to pair with my unit at all but this works 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Has anyone got to control there Sky box with the revue remote? As in Guide and channel +/- that type of thing.

If so how? what did you set it up as?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

antodeco wrote: »

Thanks

I have a usb socket on my router with a normal hard drive attached. I also have a NAS that I can't get access to but that's down to the Vodafone router firmware being total shyte. It nearly broke my heart yesterday trying to get everything working.

I am using an ariva 120combo and was able to directly select it from a list of devices. I am still trying to find a way to move between favourite groups, the 'guide' button just brings up the EPG for whichever favourite group you are already on.
    I'm also trying to get it to recognise my blueray, haven't figured that bit out yet either.

Now if google could invent a zip code for Ireland this device would be fantastic.

Hmm interesting. I abandoned the Logitech serve because my revue couldn't see it. I installed Plex on my Mac, and my revue sees it no problem. The problem is the revue won't play anything. It sees everything no problem though. My iPhone sees it and plays everything no problem though. Can a codec pack be installed on the revue or a codec add-on for plex exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

regarding the firewall... Yeah im aware Windows has one built in but I have had it disabled for sometime (as it was causing issues with something else a while back)
    I havent had a chance to look at a since but thats as far as I got.
    i.e The server was setup successfully and running on my laptop..
    But the client on the Revue just cannot find the server when it searches..

I'm gonna give it another go in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has anyone managed to get the keyboard to control the Sky box(HD) and the TV?

Netflix for Ireland and UK launched overnight. Months free trial and then €6.99 per month after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

My Revue has not turned up yet (well I'm only back in work and haven't been down to the post room yet).

Saw the Netflix thing on TV today has anyone in the UK/Ire connected using the Revue? Will make the sell to my OH a lot easier.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    My Revue has not turned up yet (well I'm only back in work and haven't been down to the post room yet).

Saw the Netflix thing on TV today has anyone in the UK/Ire connected using the Revue? Will make the sell to my OH a lot easier.

Signed up this morning on the Google TV before goingto work. Had a quick browse through the content but didnt have time to watch anything. Amount of content seems ok but not yet at the same lavel of the American service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Just looking through the Netflix content on the web now.

Content seems a bit weak. Some ITV1 TV shows, but most are crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

talla wrote: »
    Signed up this morning on the Google TV before goingto work. Had a quick browse through the content but didnt have time to watch anything. Amount of content seems ok but not yet at the same lavel of the American service.
    Cool once mine turns up I will give it a go.
    nedd wrote: »
    Agree it's not great but there is enough there for me to watch during the free month to see how it works technically and then come back and pay (or stay) when/if the content improves

Also AFAIK none of the other streaming services support Android/Linux and that is what is/will be connected to my TV.

+1. will be signing up for the free month anyway.

Just looking through the Netflix content on the web now.

I dont know, there seems to be a fairly good starting point:

TV Shows
    Firefly
    Warehouse 13
    Prison Break
    Breaking Bad
    Rescue Me
    Heroes
    Top Gear
    Dexter
    Twin Peaks
    Prime Suspect
    Inspector Morse
    Cracker
    Californication
    Damages
    Brotherhood
    Nurse Jackie

Hell of a lot more there, havent bothered looking at mini series, reality tv etc.

Ok selection of movies there also for a start. Conent will get continously added.

Has anyone managed to get the keyboard to control the Sky box(HD) and the TV?

Bump, anybody???

Just cancelled my sky movies subscription. Revue will have paid for itself in 4mts:)

i got the Keyboard to control my Tv and regular Sky+ box. I was asked for the serial number of both during the set up. Also I have the IR booster plugged in. I found the serial number of the Sky+ box online.

i got the Keyboard to control my Tv and regular Sky+ box. I was asked for the serial number of both during the set up. Also I have the IR booster plugged in. I found the serial number of the Sky+ box online.

Where did you find them online? Is there a website?

Its Model number, not serial, sorry.

I found my sky+ box here:
    http://www.sam-radford.me.uk/skyplus.htm

my Tv model number was on the back of the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Can someone check how 4od plays on this? It's all I need to know to sway my decision!

baldshin wrote: »
    Can someone check how 4od plays on this? It's all I need to know to sway my decision!

Pretty good. Some programs wouldn't play. Said they were restricted to my region. I watched Hestom Bloomenthals program and a Ramsays kitchen nightmare no problem though

• Advertisement

I know have the SKY HD Box & TV working, for anyone stuck using the codes posted above for their sky box, make sure and set the sky box as a TV source, put in a US postcode, accept any network & premium channels,
    The Box code linked above are like "DRX780", I had to change that to DRX-780 (It will show up as a UK Box) then the sky box worked fully, seem to have all functions. ;)

Is there a way to make the picture in picture bigger?

Have to say that this box with the addition of Netflix is brilliant. Hats off to Podge for a great price find.

Advertisement