Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Christmas Package worth €280 with ESB Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

that potato clock looks brill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smirkydee

The best present I ever gave was a shiatsu massage cushion to my boyfriend. Now he doesn't need me to give him back massages anymore. This will be surpassed this year, when I give my mother a negative scanner this Christmas. She loves her old photos and now she'll be able to have them on her computer

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭satya

Best Christmas present - definitely the IPhone 3 that my wife gave me before we got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Best present I got was a BMX bike when I was younger. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lanbran

Best pressie - giant care bear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭remeneerb

Best christmas present - my first pair of rollerblades and worst present - a toothbrush ( was it a hint or something? )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭touts

Best Present has to be a Ninteodo DS from my wife. I was not into computer games so I kind of went "What?..... Oh thank you. Its..... what I ..... really wanted....really.....am...Thanks". But once I got into it and got some games on it it became a great gadget for long waits in airports etc. I suppose she knew me better than I knew myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

A foot spa for the wife she was well unimpressed, maybe she thought I was saying she had smelly feet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

best was a kindle - i didn't realise what i was missing until i used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pheechad

Best present without a doubt was when I got my playstation as a kid. Crash Bandicoot 3.. need I say more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Gat Dayum!

I cant remember what the best present I ever got was but I know I always wanted a potato clock and never got one..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this be my chance!!!!! :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Pot ate toe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Worst - Bar of chocolate from my brother...very stingy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

My parents bought me a sleeping bag one year for xmas :/

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Best and possibly worst Christmas present I ever gave was to my brother - he has eveything - so I gave him a ploo... (aka a sh*tbox) see here

As a continuation, I got him a cover for it as part of his gift the following year!

Classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Psychobabble

Best present was an original artwork which I got for my mother last year. Worst present I ever received was a rubber steering wheel cover, that left my hands constantly stinking of rubber and I'm sure made some people think I was some kind of weird fetishist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

The best present I ever got was one that was not meant for me in the first place but meant the most both back then and now.

I was the only girl growing up with a gang of lads so I wasn’t the most pinky pinky ribbonned princess that my Mother dreamed of, rather more a dungaree and baineen wearing muck clad terrorist banshee whose many attempts to cut her hair thinking her Mother wouldn’t notice a few inches of the blanket were probably the only thing that set her apart as a girl.

Christmas came around once again and I had asked Santa for a small dolly that I was going to call Antoinette. The year before he had brought me a doll as big as me and I never took to her because she was so tall she scared the bejesus out of me. I still suspect she scared the boys too because she was probably the only one of my dolls not to be kidnapped and held for a substantial (but fairly reasonable all things considered) ransom -usually half a Mars Bar and had to be goalkeeper for 3 matches.

Christmas morning came and we all raced in hysterics to the front porch – a little tired from trying to kidnap Santa the night before – that’s the type of family we were – we didn’t leave cookies and love out for him, nope- we wanted to kidnap him, get all the toys and hide the sledge in the stables until the heat died down.

Anyway, all into the porch and in the mad scrum of tearing, ripping, squealing and hysterical delight and in the chaos, I open my brothers present by mistake – reading skills not yet quite there – and lo and behold was an Action Man!! I could not believe my eyes!!! BRILLIANT!!!!!! I never thought in a millionbillionsquillion years that my Mum would agree to get me what she called a Boys toy!! I raced around waving him in triumph, introduce him briefly to some blonde doll named Barbie that I got, threw her aside and spent the best Christmas day ever in full scale warfare with my very own new soldier! I gave my brother an extra special hug because he had joined in my petition for an Action Man when we were writing our letter to Santa by trying to persuade Mum that it would be good for me to have a man soldier as my dolls weren’t very good at war and that’s why I kept losing.

What I didn’t know was that my brother, absolute legend that he is,saw his present snaffled away before his eyes and he let me keep it because he saw how thrilled I was to get it. He didn’t even mention it until years later when I was sick, he brought into the hospital, the same Action Man that I had so treasured and to cheer me up, asked if he could finally have it :)

My brilliant brother had sworn my folks to secrecy and he let me ride out that wave of equality on my own terms. I declared war on everything that moved with that Action Man. The poor cat got a particularly hard time as he was just the right size for epic battles and was also a perfect mount size. It was the best Christmas day I ever had and it was thanks to a 7 year old who loved his 5 year old sister so much, he let her keep his Christmas present from Santa.

If I win this competition, hes going to find a big pile of pressies from me this year. And if I manage to kidnap Santa, Ill rummage through for an Action Man to add to the pile :pac:

Love you bro. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

Worst pressie was a big neon american flag clock,uuuughh.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Best present - Netbook
    Worst present - Candle...thanks gran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

Hard Boiled Egg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Electric toothbrush!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fuzzynev

Best Present - Star Wars Ewok Village

Worst Present - Finding Ewok Village was missing one leg (tree)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Best Christmas present - A ski holiday from my family!!! :)

Worst Christmas present - A recorder... I didn't like playing the recorder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

my brother thought it would be nice to give me a one inch wooden ladybug....."WTF!!!" is what i wanted to say, "thanks a mill bro" is what i said....... not great that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

The worst ever had to be when I was given a Potato Powered Clo... oh wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Nice story NewFrockTuesday.

Worse present I ever gave was a bottle of very nice perfume. Was over in Brussels coming back from a meeting, was in airport with a friend and suggested I could maybe get some gift for a girl I knew at a good price.

Little did I know that the woman I was with for the meeting was a keen perfume shopper - cue me, this woman and three sales people (because there was no one else in the store) trying out various perfumes and me getting a crash course in the differences between parfume and eau du toilette and other things I never wanted to know about how women smell.

I tried to talk myself out of the situation a few times - "Errrr.... I'm not even sure if she wears perfume..." and "...she's just a friend..." - but they kept assuring me that 'every woman wears perfume' and shoving sticks with samples of perfume sprayed on it in my face.

Ended up with a bottle of a very nice perfume. Duly gave it to my friend without mentioning the trauma of the purchase - cue the awkwardness as she wonders if it was meant to signify more than it did. Also turns out my friend is allergic to most perfume. (Can't wear metal watches either)

So next year am getting the same girl a gift. I think scarf.... right... that's a nice, safe gift. No chance for misunderstandings..... I go into Monsoon - spend that little bit too long choosing a scarf.... get some advice from shop girl. Obviously she knew I was out of my league and helped me choose. She also offered to wrap it for me. They use little stickers in there to seal gifts.... I knew something was going wrong as she was wrapping it, but I couldn't place my finger on it.As I was handing over the prezzie I realised what it was - the shop assistant hadn't been using the stickers in order from the tape - every second one said Moonsoon or had some sort of slogan on it - instead she had picked out all the heart-shaped stickers and stuck them all over the gift. :o

This year I'm either getting the girl a pipe-wrench or a usb key - wrapped in an oily rag and double checked for any secret love notes or messages. Or maybe a potato clock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 denis myers

we have secret santa in our family so we only get one gift from the entire family. its usually something quite special and we generally spend about eighty euro per person :D. three years my wife and i recieved a joint present of a digital photo frame. cost a lot of money and had all kinds of bells and whistles on it ...only problem...we didnt have a digital camera at the time :rolleyes:..serious waste of money and complete disappointment ...was quite interesting watching my wifes face as she tried to politely thank the family for her totally useless gift ...it still sits in the back of the press....mmm... maybe its time to think of regifting this year... back to the original giver :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ioflynn

Best present I ever got? Tomy Tronic in the 1980's Absolute Class!!
    Wort Present I ever got? Don't recall ever getting a present I didn't like....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

When I was younger I LOVED Lego. One particular year I was being quite a bit naughtier than I should have been. My parents played up the whole "Santa won't give you presents if you aren't nice" but I didn't believe them. I knew other bold kids who always got presents. Christmas morning arrives and there isn't a single Lego piece in sight!!! From that day on I learned that if I ever wanted to have something I should just work for it and get it myself. Can't give up my personality :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A single toy soldier (the sort which you'd get 20 for a fiver) packed in a large box, which was put into a larger box, which was put into a larger box, etc. The person must have thought it was funny at the time, but the joke was lost on me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement