Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards hill Climb Challenge: 05/11/11 Start 09:00

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Oh, and I notice that Diarmuid has posted the same suggested time as I opted for. Yikes! I am now having serious misgivings about my target time. Time for some carbo loading ...those biscuits are looking all the more appealing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Liking the look of those cookies.........

Enjoy the suffering today folks, lovely day for it!

My money is on Diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Slieve Mann
    daragh_ wrote: »
    My prize for the slowest time will be in the form of a voucher (assuming O'Briens do vouchers) for booze of your choosing. It will come in a handy, non-euro compliant, sandwich bag, so it doesn't get wet on your way home.

Cheers, man. I feel slightly guilty about taking the prize, given my shameful time, but I'm sure the guilt will be eased by the booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Big thanks again to Cram for the organisation and the car full of goodies, g0g for sitting the cold for an hour taking times and doozerie's wife for the epic cookies. Nice to get out for the craic this morning.

15:34 by the timer, 15:24 by Strava (I'll go with the former), definitely happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Slieve Mann
    USERNAME START START ADJUST FINISH TIME
    Mr. Grieves 09:05:15 09:03:32 09:16:11 12:39
    Spelean 09:15:40 09:13:57 09:26:45 12:48
    Diarmuid 09:05:55 09:04:12 09:17:07 12:55
    bradyj 09:20:05 09:18:22 09:31:41 13:19
    joker77 09:07:45 09:06:02 09:19:40 13:38
    greyspoke 09:21:45 09:20:02 09:33:50 13:48
    doozerie 09:18:05 09:16:22 09:30:33 14:11
    Wiggles87 09:10:35 09:08:52 09:23:17 14:25
    oflahero 09:15:05 09:13:22 09:28:13 14:51
    mahoo 09:09:25 09:07:42 09:22:38 14:56
    sbs2010 09:12:25 09:10:42 09:25:47 15:05
    Moflojo 09:06:55 09:05:12 09:20:31 15:19
    Daragh_ 09:10:00 09:08:17 09:23:48 15:31
    seamus 09:08:25 09:06:42 09:22:16 15:34
    johnny 09:23:30 09:21:47 09:37:22 15:35
    hmmzis 09:13:40 09:11:57 09:27:47 15:50
    kaspars 09:13:15 09:11:32 09:27:40 16:08
    g0g 17:01
    Carpenter 09:16:20 09:14:37 09:32:18 17:41
    jimm 09:11:20 09:09:37 09:27:33 17:56
    Shano Mac 18:00
    CramCycle 09:29:00 09:27:17 09:45:30 18:13
    Colm18 09:11:55 09:10:12 09:28:31 18:19
    SerialComplaint 09:17:05 09:15:22 09:42:02 26:40

Testing..... hopefully this has allowed me to input a table properly, but apologies if it looks messy! I'm also attaching an Excel file and if someone wants to update the original google doc fire away!

Really enjoyed it this morning, good to put more faces to names!

I added my own time from earlier this morning as per Strava plus a mate (Shano Mac) who did it just before you lot. Hopefully the times are accurate enough and apologies to the lads again on the mountain bikes for initially missing their times!!

Thanks to CramCycle for all the organising and hope anyone who headed on had a good spin in the sun! :)

Photos being uploaded as I type and will add a link shortly!

Link to segment on Strava - you can filter down to today - times seem relatively accurate!

Link to photos! Maybe someone can figure how to post one of the group shots directly here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

:D Can some body talk to the winner of the bottle of whiskey because my wife said she used some making the Xmas puddings and I might have gave the wrong bottle LOL .
    Anyway had a great day loved meeting you all and hope we can do it again soon ;)

Tony gave me all the pic,s in case you missed out any when transferring them to the laptop gOg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

What a great morning and an absolutely fantastic event. Thanks to all the organizers. The hot coffee and cookies at the finish were a very nice touch (especially the dark chocolate cookies, have to find the recipe for them :) ).

The event and maybe also the weather gave some additional pedaling urge, so me and Kaspars (the other mountainbiker) decided to go home the long way - in the spirit of the start of the day - further up Stocking lane, Military road, Devil's Elbow, past the Blue Light and down home. Altogether 34km with an average speed of 27km/h (not counting the time spent on fixing a flat tire on my bike).

When's the next one :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Brilliant morning for it, thanks again to the organisers and everyone who helped. I died on the singlespeed, not surprisingly. Not the choice for a top time. As I type I'm still holding on to that Strava segment top spot from way back, but reckon that'll be gone by this evening... sob!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Thanks to CramCycle and g0g for the organisation and the coffee, that was great. Brilliant weather too - we went on to Kippure afterwards, another good hill for next time maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    That was fun!

Many thanks to Cram and gog for all your hard work. And thanks to the guy with the camera as well.

Mrs Doozerie wins the Boards Hill Climb Catering Cup for awesome cookies. I have no doubt your daughter will end up being a world champion hill climber in the near future!

And cheers to Gasco for arriving with my own personal stash of espresso. He was the one taking pics of yiz all about halfway up.

Chuffed as I beat my previous time by a whole minute. Happy days.

Was nice to see new and familiar faces. We should do this every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stocking Lane
    Thanks to CramCycle and g0g for the organisation and the coffee, that was great. Brilliant weather too - we went on to Kippure afterwards, another good hill for next time maybe.

+1 on Kippure.

You have to go first though!

daragh_ wrote: »
    That was fun!

Many thanks to Cram and gog for all your hard work. And thanks to the guy with the camera as well.

Mrs Doozerie wins the Boards Hill Climb Catering Cup for awesome cookies. I have no doubt your daughter will end up being a world champion hill climber in the near future!

And cheers to Gasco for arriving with my own personal stash of espresso. He was the one taking pics of yiz all about halfway up.

Chuffed as I beat my previous time by a whole minute. Happy days.

Was nice to see new and familiar face. We should do this every weekend.

Is there more pics of the day by somebody else to be uploaded :D:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

great morning (apart from being a whole minute slower than when i climbed it last last week - wtf?!) thanks to all, especialy the tea and biscuit bringers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Great fun lads - thanks to all especially g0g and Cram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

That was great this morning - thanks to all who helped out and supplied refreshments - great job all round CramCycle and g0g!!

Well happy with my time - 13:38, if I could fully quit the cigarettes maybe I could knock another bit off that. That's the plan anyway, roll on the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

g0g wrote: »

Mr. Grieves - 12:39
    Diarmuid - 12:55
    Well done Mr. Grieves! 1-1 to yourself and Diarmuid now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slieve Mann
    My first post on strava, 29th, have to work on that, good start.

joker77 wrote: »
    That was great this morning - thanks to all who helped out and supplied refreshments - great job all round CramCycle and g0g!!

Well happy with my time - 13:38, if I could fully quit the cigarettes maybe I could knock another bit off that. That's the plan anyway, roll on the next one

Get off them ASAP i am off them 9 weeks now after 30 years smoking and never felt as good mind you my time was not great 17.41 but not bad for 30 years of major ;)

Slieve Mann
    joker77 wrote: »
    Carpenter wrote: »
    Get off them ASAP i am off them 9 weeks now after 30 years smoking and never felt as good mind you my time was not great 17.41 but not bad for 30 years of major ;)

Half of boards must be ex smokers. Once you quit them fully and you get all the lung butter out of your system you'll really start to feel the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Great morning out, many thanks to Cramcycle and g0g for organising the event and to all the bringers of food and drink.

I was delighted with my 15:19, solidly mid-table. It was even better than my optimistic 16:00 estimate.

I did pull a Schleck about halfway up the hill and lost about 20 seconds spinning around to start off again, but to be honest I was fecked at that stage anyway and needed the 1.5 metre downhill spin to stop my lungs from bursting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Back from a great post TT spin with jimm. what a day. i love these crisp and clear winter mornings...

Cheers to the guys for organizing the TT. great to see so many people at it. it didnt seam like such a great idea when my breakfast was rising towards my mouth as i died a death on stockinh lane but with mature reflection im delighted i took part. chuffed i broke 15mins (just!)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Just want to add my thanks to CramCycle and gOg for putting this together and Mrs Doozerie for excellent cookies! What a brilliant morning for it - Autumn at its best though it was pretty chilly setting out from Celbridge just after eight (there was ice on the cars over there). Happy enough with my time - that hill NEVER gets any easier no matter how many times you ride up it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Wiggles87

Had a great productive day and its all thanks to getting up early for a great cycle. Nice one gOg and CramCycle for getting everything organised. Went for a lovely cycle through a cloud to Kippure to finish off the morning. It really was the perfect weather for it. Epic mist and beautiful slanty sunglow. Looking forward to next time. Peace

Slieve Mann
    Just wanted to give my own thanks out as well. Thanks to everyone who turned up, there was some very nice bikes (and people too).

Big thanks to gOg who I met going down the route as I was driving up to it, he done a great job on the times, and support at the top as well as providing loads of sweets. Also for calculating the times and saving me scribbling on a piece of paper.

Also to Carpenter for the Bottle of Jameson, I have a pic of our 2nd place:

2011-11-05%25252010.10.22.jpg

Notice the large crowd of tourists who came all the way up to the viewing point to watch the photo taking and the dissolving of the boards HC challenge.

Also big thanks to daragh_ for the O'Briens voucher for our Lanterne Rouge SerialComplaint, your bike was a beast, I don't think I could have pulled it up there at all. If you get a chance to throw the video of your climb up it would be much appreciated.

Most importantly, thanks to everyone who showed up, nice to have a big crowd, the two MTBers (kmmzis and kaspers) who powered up in approx 16minutes was impressive.

I came third in the singlespeed/fixed category which was good enough for me ;)

Not sure when the next one will be but it will most likely wait until spring so we can start up a new thread then.

Also, last but not least, to Mrs. Doozerie, who powered up pulling a trailer and child and a tin of deliciousness, she took off far faster than me but served as a nice pace setter to catch at the start. I loved those biscuits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

CramCycle wrote: »
    ...she took off far faster than me but served as a nice pace setter to catch at the start...

Is pace setting permitted?:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spelean

Thanks a million Cram, g0g and everyone else at it. Really good event, yez even sorted out great weather for it.

Well done Mr. Grieves too. Look forward to the next one : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Thanks to Cram Cycle and gOg for doing this at short notice.

Next time I'm doing this minus the Chariot trailer, the two-year old, toy bunny, library books, bike locks and biscuits, (I'll post the recipe later). I reckon I was pulling at least an extra 28kg! I'd knock at least 8 minutes off my unofficial time of 27 minutes.

I hadn't intended going up to the top but once herself spotted her daddy heading off the hill there was a piteous wail from the trailer. I decided that we could wait for him and freeze my ass off or go up the hill. Thanks to the granny ring we made it all the way up with my face matching my fleece by the end. Toddler was kept quiet by judicious use of chocolate biscuit.

I'd do it again but next time doozerie's pulling the trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Another round of thanks from me to CramCycle and g0g - that was a lot of effort on your part, doing the climb itself was the easy task of the day by comparison. So thanks for making for a novel and fun Saturday morning (and thanks from my toddler too, she enjoyed it as well).

When I got home and patted my pockets for my keys it occurred to me that the pocket containing an uneaten banana seemed a little flat. No, everything's fine, I told myself. I searched that pocket for my key and my hand came out damp. No, everything's fine, I told myself. It's hard to stay in denial though when you are pouring a burst mushy banana out of your pocket later. I now have a jersey smelling of banana. Everything's fine, I'm telling myself, banana is an endearing scent...

When I uploaded my Garmin profile this evening I discovered that it has a noticeable gap where the hill climb should be. I seem to have been miraculously and instantly transported from the start point to the end point. The Garmin thinks I scaled a sheer wall, approximately 800 feet high, in approximately 0minutes. I'm not sure whether to hate my Garmin for its contrariness or to love it for its unquestioning faith in my abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Next time I'm doing this minus the Chariot trailer, the two-year old, toy bunny, library books, bike locks and biscuits, (I'll post the recipe later). I reckon I was pulling at least an extra 28kg! I'd knock at least 8 minutes off my unofficial time of 27 minutes.
    Kudos! That photo didn't escape my attention and I even wondered if it had been somehow staged - apologies for being such a doubting Thomas. Yes, next time you should ditch the trailer and also commandeer Mr. Doozerie's bike. You'd probably blitz half the field, at least!

[P.S. I didn't attend the event. I just enjoy reading about other people's suffering. It's so much easier!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Slieve Mann
    Also big thanks to daragh_ for the O'Briens voucher for our Lanterne Rouge
    Hear hear.
    SerialComplaint, your bike was a beast, I don't think I could have pulled it up there at all.
    Sure, I'd only be getting meself into trouble if I had a fast bike.
    If you get a chance to throw the video of your climb up it would be much appreciated.
    Unfortunately, I came home to find a pile of Chinese names files and directories on my memory card, so it looks like the camera went a bit mad en-route. I didn't get any salvageable footage. Could we all just head out again next Saturday and I'll try it again?

Advertisement