Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Good for you. If the fascists want to harrumph and moan about whether one wears/doesn't wear a poppy/lilly; sod 'em. It's down to personal choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

After 39 pages has anyone effectively made the case that it's never ok for poor kids to die in a field somewhere on rich peoples' whims? That is, and always will be, the only argument against wearing the poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    . . . . . ok for poor kids to die in a field somewhere on rich peoples' whims? That is, and always will be, the only argument against wearing the poppy.

Nonsense. Read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Must be all west brits voting yes :rolleyes: how about the British all wear Easter Lilys on Easter Sunday eh :eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No (I'm Irish)
    Noffles wrote: »
    Never surprised to see these threads... Every year the same... Depressingly predictable... Will wear a poppy for the office next week... If asked why, its personal and **** all to do with them.
    They come around at easter and christmas ....every year
    British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?
    Simple answer is many Irish in ireland ,UK and around the world have done and will continue to do , including ex-members of the defence forces ( IUNVA/IDFV-UK) who march alongside british ex-servicemens associations on regimental parades in London in June and rememberence sunday in November ,some who will also have served in the British forces as well as the Irish Defence Forces and have been doing so for many years now .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

:eek:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1103/poppy.html
    Two 17-year-old youths and a 16-year-old boy have been charged with incitement to hatred in Northern Ireland.
    The charges follow the publication of a photograph on a social networking site which allegedly shows individuals burning a poppy.
    The alleged incident was reported to the police earlier this week.
    The 16-year-old was also charged with improper use of a social networking site.
    All three appeared before Coleraine Magistrates Court in Derry this morning.

FFS! Isn't a court appearance a bit much? Sure they are idiots but getting a criminal conviction for it?! Christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Morlar wrote: »
    Nonsense. Read the thread.

Nah, I've read it every year. People say, "oh but it's the soldiers we're commemorating". But you're not, you're celebrating war, imperialism, etc,. Mourn the passing of the millions who've died fighting in pointless wars yes, wear poppies no.

No (I'm Irish)

FFS! Isn't a court appearance a bit much? Sure they are idiots but getting a criminal conviction for it?! Christ!
    There are different ways of drawing attention to yourself ( like mooning from a car ) but they choose to to do something that was going to draw attention and offend many ...silly sods .

Latchy wrote: »
    There are different ways of drawing attention to yourself ( like mooning from a car ) but they choose to to do something that was going to draw attention and offend many ...silly sods .

Do you think it warrants arrest and a court appearance?

Nah, I've read it every year. People say, "oh but it's the soldiers we're commemorating". But you're not, you're celebrating war, imperialism, etc,. Mourn the passing of the millions who've died fighting in pointless wars yes, wear poppies no.

I think you could have been clearer in your post. I am not advocating Irish people should wear it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps they were opium poppies.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps they were opium poppies.

LOL

Incitement to hatred of junkies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

No (I'm British/not Irish)
    the poppy is not political, its just about remembering those who gave up their lives ,sons husbands brothers uncles they never came back from the front,and yes many irishmen died in the wars,and the ones who joined up in the first world war,went with the blessing of all the irish political parties,and when they came back the irish people turned against them ,

No (I'm Irish)
    Well I haven't seen the video to pass judgement on weather it warrents arrest but by burning the poppy and displaying it on the web as mentioned, they broke the law regarding misuse of social network sites besides any cause of offence .

getz wrote: »
    the poppy is not political, its just about remembering those who gave up their lives ,sons husbands brothers uncles they never came back from the front,and yes many irishmen died in the wars,and the ones who joined up in the first world war,went with the blessing of all the irish political parties,and when they came back the irish people turned against them ,

If that was ALL this was about there would not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Were they not just trying to smoke it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Drumcondra Mafia

After 39 pages has anyone effectively made the case that it's never ok for poor kids to die in a field somewhere on rich peoples' whims? That is, and always will be, the only argument against wearing the poppy.

Defining the Second World War like that is too simplistic.

No (I'm Irish)
    Defining the Second World War like that is too simplistic.
    First world war more like it which is were the poppy origins came from although it's now worn to remember the fallen in all conflicts and wars including southern ireland

First world war more like it which is were the poppy origins came from although it's now worn to remember the fallen in all conflicts and wars including southern ireland

I'm pretty sure it doesn't just mean the munster region.

No (I'm Irish)
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't just mean the munster region.
    Oh it does actully , just as many men from Munster as well as Leinster,Connaught and Ulster joined the british forces in both major wars as well as after and you can go back to further to Napoleonic times to find southern Irishmen in the ranks of the British . On poppy day parade in London you'll find plenty of men from the Munster region .The Queen laid a wreath at garden of rememberence in honour of all irishmen who died abroad and in Ireland (including those who fought against British rule in ireland )

• Advertisement

Oh it does actully , just as many men from Munster as well as Leinster,Connaught and Ulster joined the british forces in both major wars as well as after and you can go back to further to Napoleonic times to find southern Irishmen in the ranks of the British . On poppy day parade in London you'll find plenty of men from the Munster region .

Eh, exactly my point.

Only Munster would be considered 'southern' Ireland. If you mean the 'Republic' of Ireland (which includes, east, west, and south) well then that's the term you should use.

No (I'm Irish)
    Eh, exactly my point.

Only Munster would be considered 'southern' Ireland. If you mean the 'Republic' of Ireland (which includes, east, west, and south) well then that's the term you should use.
    We are talking provinces , Leinster and Connaught are also part of 'southern Ireland ' .

We are talking provinces , Leinster and Connaught are also part of 'southern Ireland ' .

I think you're being a little slow today. There is no such place as 'Southern Ireland'.

Northern Ireland is called that, because that's the country's name. The other 26 counties occupy a country called 'the Republic of Ireland'.

'Southern' Ireland would mean somewhere south, like Munster for instance.

Maybe we should start calling England, 'Southern Scotland'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Maybe we should start calling England, 'Southern Scotland'?
    Stupid point.

Leftist wrote: »
    Stupid point.

No different to calling the RoI 'Southern Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Vastly different. There are two irish states, one is called northern ireland, for a foreigner to assume the other is known as southern ireland is perfectly reasonable even if inaccurate.

Southern Scotland indeed.

No (I'm Irish)
    I think you're being a little slow today. There is no such place as 'Southern Ireland'.

Northern Ireland is called that, because that's the country's name. The other 26 counties occupy a country called 'the Republic of Ireland'.

'Southern' Ireland would mean somewhere south, like Munster for instance.

?
    Slow ? jasus ....

So you like to split hairs to about a term of reference to describe a place ie , southern Ireland which if a foreigner (that's non Irish to you ) should ask the difference between the north and south of ireland ...I can't use ? Heaven forbid I should call it Eire
    Maybe we should start calling England, 'Southern Scotland' ?
    call it what ya loike

G'day mate....
    Leftist wrote: »
    Vastly different. There are two irish states, one is called northern ireland, for a foreigner to assume the other is known as southern ireland is perfectly reasonable even if inaccurate.

Southern Scotland indeed.
    My point exactly !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Republic of Ireland and NI are two different countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No (I'm Irish)
    Indeed, and the poppy is worn in both, with the proceeds in the Republic going to Dublin, and the proceeds in NI going to London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No (I'm Irish)
    Wow 550 replies and it is only the first of november. The remembrance period has really touched the hearts of After Hours this year! ;)

Many poppies already being worn in London today which is nice to see as the real drive to sell them hasn't got underway yet (3rd and 4th of November the TA and veterans hit the stations etc)

They were out in the City today from Liverpool St station right along to the Monument.

I think it is good to see people taking the time out to think about the dead at war.

Who said that was the reason behind wearing it?

The reason for many people as has been highlighted in this thread is to commemorate the dead at war irrespective of what side they are on. I think there is value to that. You mightn't. Fair enough.

Advertisement