Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

getz wrote: »
    most countries in europe were involved,with the exception of swedon switzerland and ireland,

and spain

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

and spain

Very true. Portugal remanined neutral also, I guess someone does'nt know their history :)

getz wrote: »
    most countries in europe were involved,with the exception of swedon switzerland and ireland,if you want to know just where the irish president is on november 13 rememberance sunday,you may spot him at the ecumenical service in st patricks cathedral dublin ,

Will he be wearing his little poppy? :p

It's only right that the president of the republic should attend, show there's no hard feelings...accept victory with good grace etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bambi wrote: »

The poppy will be wearing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No (I'm Irish)
    All this over a little flower ! That's worn to commerate and show a little respect to ordinary people who died a lonely death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

All this over a little flower ! That's worn to commerate and show a little respect to ordinary people who died a lonely death

I wouldn't call it lonely. Over 25,000 men were killed on the first day of the Somme.

And we get upset about 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I wouldn't call it lonely. Over 25,000 men were killed on the first day of the Somme.

Everyone dies alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pete Digger

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'll start with the 'Gloification of fighting for another country's cause' comment. If you were in the know, you would be aware that the poppy is nothing to do with the glorification of . . . I don't know why you have come to this conclusion? because the poppy is a solemn symbol for the fallen, it is to remeber the dead, their relatives, and in our case (The Irish ones) the deep sadness of loss, and he futility of war! There is "no Glorification" as you put it, and if you were to attend a Remembrance service you would know this basic fact! I will finish by saying, it doesnt really matter what people think either way, my Irish family is steeped in the tradition of remembering on the 11th of the 11th, many Irish families are, and many more are not, each to their own, but it is a massive step in the right direction that I can now wear my poppy on the streets of Dublin without abuse, twenty years ago it would have been a brave man who would have worn one walking the streets . . . . .

PS; This thread is slowly getting derailed, away from the basic topic.

Obviously, you take great exception to use of the word 'glorification', so I will unreservedly change it to a more solemn and appropriate term. 'Honouring' those who have fought in defence of the British Empire. Or even as simple as 'remembering' those who have fought in defence of the British Empire.

But the basic disconnect remains. Why are we honouring or remembering those who have served in the interests of another nation? Why are we not, for example, also remembering Irish people who served in the American army or in the French Foreign Legion?

Like I said, it's pretty much a colonial hangover. I agree with you that everyone has the right to subscribe to it, especially given family histories, without experiencing abuse. But it's still a colonial hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

No (I'm British/not Irish)
    Just bought more poppies. Always good to give to a good cause and to remember our fallen volunteers.

That's worn to commerate and show a little respect to ordinary people who died a lonely death

bollox it is :P

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Just bought more poppies. Always good to give to a good cause and to remember our fallen volunteers.

What about the poor conscriptees, don't they get a look in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What about the poor conscriptees, don't they get a look in?

He means the UVF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Wow 550 replies and it is only the first of november. The remembrance period has really touched the hearts of After Hours this year! ;)

Many poppies already being worn in London today which is nice to see as the real drive to sell them hasn't got underway yet (3rd and 4th of November the TA and veterans hit the stations etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yes (I'm Irish)
    Is this the same thread as last year/year before/year before/year before, or has there been some new information that has come to light?

Personally I don't object if people wish to wear the poppy, but also don't mind if they would prefer not to. The poppy fascism that the Daily Mail and the like foists upon us (and has probably been mentioned in this thread, if not, check previous years, its definitely there) makes me inclined not to wear one.

Poll needs more don't mind either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Many poppies already being worn in London today which is nice to see as the real drive to sell them hasn't got underway yet (3rd and 4th of November the TA and veterans hit the stations etc)

Good for you. Nice that Ireland has her own army and no foreign army in Dublin for the last 90 years.

No (I'm Irish)

Of course it was a lonely death everybody faces it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

KeithAFC wrote: »

i was wondering where keith was not like him to miss a thread like this

Of course it was a lonely death everybody faces it alone
    Do they? I guess we all find out eventualy

No (I'm Irish)
    Do they? I guess we all find out eventualy

We'll sorry Fred , I'm not holding your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Very true. Portugal remanined neutral also, I guess someone does'nt know their history :)
    i said most countries,i quess some people dont read the threads,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

It's only right that the president of the republic should attend, show there's no hard feelings...accept victory with good grace etc etc
    no bambi the reason he may be there [in the church of ireland church] is to remember the irishmen who died in the two world wars, but i take it you dont care

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Possibly. Again it sounds like a court should decide that.

Shooting a 12 year old girl carrying milk home from the shop is an act of terrorism according to yourself. Ergo, the British Army are terrorists.

I would agree that the British in the 06 were terrorists as they ruled using terror.

Where's the "06"? Do you mean Northern Ireland?

We've been through this before. You obviously have a short memory or wish to go through the same pointless discussion we had yesterday.

I see that Julian Assange is wearing a poppy. If it's good enough for him, it must be good enough for anybody.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

We've been through this before. You obviously have a short memory or wish to go through the same pointless discussion we had yesterday.

Sum it up for me so...

Using your own definition of terrorism (or any other one) do you believe the British Army are terrorists?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sum it up for me so...

Using your own definition of terrorism (or any other one) do you believe the British Army are terrorists?

That's a very good question. I would say by their actions in NI and elsewhere in the world they have certainly visited terror on the local populations - usually for the cause of the so-called greater good. Having said that, for me the blame lies more with the establishment and top brass rather than your standard grunt who probably has little understanding of the politics. In my view.

The paramilitaries on both "sides" are also misguidedly in it for the greater good and protecting the community. Like the security forces, they are self important, self appointed warlords bringing misery and terror to those they claim to protect. In my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I got given out to for bringing one back. so i take it the Irish told me to sh g off with it that they dont live in the UK :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I got given out to for bringing one back. so i take it the Irish told me to sh g off with it that they dont live in the UK :D

Was that in Tescos? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

old hippy wrote: »
    Was that in Tescos? ;)

No i brought it from the uk home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Never surprised to see these threads... Every year the same... Depressingly predictable... Will wear a poppy for the office next week... If asked why, its personal and **** all to do with them.

Advertisement