Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You mean the Ballycoolin Road with all the industrial estates on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Yes Chris, Those roads are desserted most of the time between Finglas Cappagh Road as you travel by Panda Waste. 2 Guards up there the other day on that long stretch of straight road. Also near GLS at the corner there is regularly a Speed van parked there.

Were the speed traps there during the day or in the evening?

Do you not think there's a danger beyond residential areas/kids/schools?
    A standard two lane road frequented by HGVs, Panda trucks, couriers, delivery vehicles, visitors to the businesses who don't know the area and are therefore driving slowly/unpredictably etc. etc. does pose a definite risk, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

-Chris- wrote: »
    Were the speed traps there during the day or in the evening?

Do you not think there's a danger beyond residential areas/kids/schools?
    A standard two lane road frequented by HGVs, Panda trucks, couriers, delivery vehicles, visitors to the businesses who don't know the area and are therefore driving slowly/unpredictably etc. etc. does pose a definite risk, don't you think?

Evening time i saw the Speed Van and Manned Check Point. I just think on roads where there IS a problem the resources should be deployed there, not on a brand new safe straight road where these has been never an accident or fatality that i know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brazilmorgyn

-Chris- wrote: »
    Would you ever give over...

Give over? Am I saying something wrong chris? The government have today decided to increase the number of go safe vans on the road for the remainder of the year, we have record points issued to drivers so far this year exceeding the total of points issued in 2010 already, it's not all about speeding it's like I said a revenue scam between the ministers and a private company, give over? That's what has us in this mess chris, giving over to everything, what is the idea of this forum ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Give over? Am I saying something wrong chris? The government have today decided to increase the number of go safe vans on the road for the remainder of the year, we have record points issued to drivers so far this year exceeding the total of points issued in 2010 already, it's not all about speeding it's like I said a revenue scam between the ministers and a private company, give over? That's what has us in this mess chris, giving over to everything, what is the idea of this forum ?

I think the point is, is that we get what your trying to say and there is no need to keep repeating it. Yes, they are a revenue spinner, the 100+ pages on this thread are a testament to that. You've made your point so unless you have a new point or something to add in addition to said point, its time to move on.

(By the way, I agree 100% with what your saying but no need to keep saying it ;) )

Give over? Am I saying something wrong chris?

Not wrong, but I wish you'd progress the discussion beyond "it's all a scam, we're being had, blah, blah, blah". It's repetitive and tiresome imho.

The government have today decided to increase the number of go safe vans on the road for the remainder of the year,

I can't see it anywhere, do you have a link?

we have record points issued to drivers so far this year exceeding the total of points issued in 2010 already

I.E. record numbers of people caught breaking the speed limit.
    Is that a reflection on the vans, or the drivers careless enough to get caught?

Is the increase primarily from speeding, or from other detections? Any stats/links to back that up?

it's not all about speeding it's like I said a revenue scam between the ministers and a private company

And here we go again...

We've been told (repeatedly) that the private company are paid by the hour rather than the detection, that they'll only be stationed where the Gardai tell them to go, that the Gardai will publicise these locations on their website, etc. etc.
    Sounds like a pretty crappy scam to me tbh.

Now, here's your cue to say "yeah, but think about it, they're bringing in all this money, of course they're going to start bending the rules to make more money, blah, blah", but unless you can post a link or fact that supports this opinion then it's just scaremongering and conspiracy theorising.

Show me vans operating outside their zones, show me unmarked GoSafe vans issuing fines, show me information proving that the gov't have changed the deal and are now incentivising for each detection.
    If you can do this, I'll join you outside the gates of Leinster House, and I'll co-sign your petition to Leo Varadkar and Martin Callanan.

Until you do this, you're just a crazy person ranting on a street corner (except you're on the internet).
    give over? That's what has us in this mess chris, giving over to everything, what is the idea of this forum ?

As above, I don't believe in giving over to everything, but I do believe that meaningful action (petitions, protests etc.) is better than empty rhetoric (ranting on the internet), and facts supported by links to reputable sources are preferable to unverifiable conspiracy theories.

What's the idea of this forum? Discussion.
    What are you doing? Soapboxing.

There's a big difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

This Is A Genuine Question!!
    Everyones Opinion.(region Specific)

Can you Justifiy Saying it is not a money making racket example i saw this Morning.

A speed camera Van parked outside Supermacs/Funworld Ennis road Limerick this morning @4 0 clock.the same van is always parked there at the same time different mornings. it is never there during the day or night.or even when it is raining. What do u think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This Is A Genuine Question!!
    Everyones Opinion.(region Specific)

Can you Justifiy Saying it is not a money making racket example i saw this Morning.

A speed camera Van parked outside Supermacs/Funworld Ennis road Limerick this morning @4 0 clock.the same van is always parked there at the same time different mornings. it is never there during the day or night.or even when it is raining. What do u think?
    Is there a history of fatalities there at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Is there a history of fatalities there at that time?

in my almost 20 yrs living in that area, i've not once heard of an accident, fatality or minor tip at that spot.
    its a long down-hill straight and the van is positioned right at the very bottom.
    aimed at people creeping over the limit presumably.

and at 4am i'd imaging its targeting taxi drivers heading for caherdavin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Has anyone any idea how long between getting caught and receiving the letter?, OH thinks he was caught on Condell Road Limerick few weeks back. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

10 days.

10 days.

Thanks

It's been over 3 weeks now so looks like he missed the bullet this time, lubricious speed limit on that road anyway 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Thanks

It's been over 3 weeks now so looks like he missed the bullet this time, lubricious speed limit on that road anyway 50k.

lubricious |loōˈbri sh əs| (also lubricous |ˈloōbrikəs|)
    adjective
    1 offensively displaying or intended to arouse sexual desire.

1652%2050%20STILL%20SEXY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GER82

Hi. I was on a dual carriage way and I came up to a White transit van with no identification labels or symbols on it. I was doing about 106 in a 100 zone. From reading the threads I'm confused with the different types of vans etc. Was this a speed van that comes under giving fines and penalty points? Is there a speed tolerance? Thanks

pa990 wrote: »
    lubricious |loōˈbri sh əs| (also lubricous |ˈloōbrikəs|)
    adjective
    1 offensively displaying or intended to arouse sexual desire.

*Ludiricous :o bloody dirty minded spell checker

BTW I'm only 42 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Hi im just heading on holidays from one end of the country to the other soon....I just checked the garda website there and they seem to have the country covered in them :D so its very hard to plan a journey and i dont want to get more points again :D in the camera locations in my areas they have up a black and white sign warning of the camera van....is this the way through out the country ??? so i will know of there locations ?? ....most people i meet over take me when i slow down for the 60kph limit ...is this country crazy or what in the north every obeys the town speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Your on holidays ! - whats your rush :D - let the other people overtake you - what have you got to lose by them overtaking you :)

JoeySully wrote: »
    Your on holidays ! - whats your rush :D - let the other people overtake you - what have you got to lose by them overtaking you :)

cheers man nice senceable advice there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Thats me alright :D a pillar of sensibility !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

And dont forget that the Gardai can catch you speeding ANYWHERE in the country at ANY time if you choose to speed. They have their own fleet of camera vans, not to mention regular speed checks.

If you dont want more points, dont speed!

And dont forget that the Gardai can catch you speeding ANYWHERE in the country at ANY time if you choose to speed. They have their own fleet of camera vans, not to mention regular speed checks.

If you dont want more points, dont speed!

cheers savage thats how i got caught in the first place :D . he 100kph limit i dont have a problem with. its the 60 and 50kph limit no one seems to bother with really is annoying.....the 80kph limit on a good can be tricky to stick to too such as the carrickmacross to dundalk road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

polod wrote: »
    cheers savage thats how i got caught in the first place :D . he 100kph limit i dont have a problem with. its the 60 and 50kph limit no one seems to bother with really is annoying.....the 80kph limit on a good can be tricky to stick to too such as the carrickmacross to dundalk road.

Don't you have a speedo or something :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

.the 80kph limit on a good can be tricky to stick to too such as the carrickmacross to dundalk road.
    Firstly, just don't speed!!

I drive that road 7 days a week. It's no problem to hold the speed limit. I could drive it at twice the posted speed but just don't - it really is that simple.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

... its the 60 and 50kph limit no one seems to bother with really is annoying..
    You're right there!

The two speed camera vans - sorry safety camera vans - I passed on Sunday were in 100kph limits on wide, open roads with good visibility. Both vans were positioned within 1km of a 60kph zone - one was for a small village the other was a 2km stretch of twisties with continuous double white lines. Where was the priority for enforcing safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

The signs are a bit of a nonsense really because theres no '/ camera' sign as you are leaving the zone. The old slash signs that they used when on the speed limit signs. You go in but you never come out.

Thats not to say that i want the country covered in another clatter of these type of signs, it all just sign-litter to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Personally I don't think there should be signs for the cameras at all. Speed limit signs are sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

And they are getting sneaky. I do a lot of overnight driving and usually you can see the reflective markings on the van from miles away, passed one this morning 03.30 between emyvale and aughnacloy and the sneaky c#*t was parked in a gateway and it looked like the hedges were cut just to let the camera see out but block the view of the van. The road is wide straight with hard shoulders that you can pull a truck fully onto to let cars passed. You see them everywhere 100, 80, 60 and 50 zones. Cruse control and patients is the way to save yourself from speed tax and if the lad behind ya wants to get on with it, best just let him on.
    For the benefit of anybody that doesn't know, a van checking speed in a 100 zone will do trucks and cars,jeeps pulling trailers for exceeding 80 altho 89k's is the slowest Im aware of actually getting the fine and points. Let's be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

GER82 wrote: »
    Hi. I was on a dual carriage way and I came up to a White transit van with no identification labels or symbols on it. I was doing about 106 in a 100 zone. From reading the threads I'm confused with the different types of vans etc. Was this a speed van that comes under giving fines and penalty points? Is there a speed tolerance? Thanks

Was probably one of these.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Just saw an Illegally park Go safe van Blocking a Private Entrance to a house.!!!(i Know the person in the House)

Advertisement