Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Friday 17th June
    - 3 miles – Av Pace 9.46
    An easy recovery run as promised to my poor body. This was what it was – slow and steady. A pretty nondescript jaunt. Took the opportunity to wear the lunar glides (I’m in the club now!) and break them in a bit – funny the different feeling but all good.

Saturday 18th June
    - 6.7 miles – Av Pace 10.06
    Hooked up with Digdig, spagbol and vagga at Dollymount strand for a run a little less ordinary! I was pretty tired and not my uber motivated self (!)… I was also completely disorganised – dehydrated after a few ladylike pints on Friday night, no water m’avec, and making my merry way to Sandymount strand… don’t ask! After about 10 steps all I could think about was lunch! I’ve never run on sand before and found it tough going despite the fact we tried to stay on the harder sand. We ran pretty much as far as we could go (Sutton maybe?), stopped to look at a harem of seals (or moving rocks…duh!) and back again. We were into the wind on the way back and the pace was pretty slow. My legs felt like lead – like I was at mile 19 of a 20 mile LSR. Was glad I hauled my a5s out of bed in the end though. Twas a nice run to shake it up a bit, and it was a bit of craic as usual. Vagga kept his size 16s to himself for a change so I was able to enjoy sans fear of bloody knees and hospitalization! :pac:

An educational run too…I didn’t know the collective noun for a group of seals until about 3 minutes ago!:rolleyes:

Sunday 19th June
    - a nice cross training walk up the sugar loaf to blow away the cobwebs! Legs continuing to feel like lead :(

Monday 20th June
    - 4.3 miles – comfortable pace
    gorgeous morning this morning to get a few easy miles in. Have increased the freckle count by about 27 with this morning’s sun…ugh. :mad: Didn’t wear the Garmin, just took it handy. Legs are still wrecked but I’m hoping to god they’ll loosen and lighten up over the week.

Will do the same 4miles tomorrow, maybe 3 on Wednesday and 2 on Thursday in advance of Dunshaughlin on Saturday.

P&D 18 week schedule in advance of Dublin starts next Monday. I’m going to study it for the week. Need to get my head around the jargon!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

claralara wrote: »
    Dreading Saturday though...:eek: What are you hoping for?

I had notions of going sub-50 up until a couple of weeks ago but I don't have a hope! I reckon if I have a great run I'll get 50:xx, a good run 51:xx. I might not have a great run as I'll be at a hen night the night before - so all I'm hoping for is to enjoy it!

Your pace is that bit faster than mine on your runs so I'll be expecting you to leave me in your dust.

Hope the legs ease out for you - mine are the same, I'm not even going to attempt a run tonight!

Tuesday 21st June
    - 4.3 miles - comfortable pace
    Same route as yesterday - another perfect morning for a pre-work garmin-free (I hope you're proud spaggie!) run. Legs still feeling heavy though a little looser this morning. A good seeing-to with the foam roller tonight me thinks. Fingers crossed they'll reassociate with my body before the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Tuesday 21st June
    - 4.3 miles - comfortable pace
    Same route as yesterday - another perfect morning for a pre-work garmin-free (I hope you're proud spaggie!) run. Legs still feeling heavy though a little looser this morning. A good seeing-to with the foam roller tonight me thinks. Fingers crossed they'll reassociate with my body before the weekend!!

Spaggie, and his twin brother Chinguetti, are indeed proud of you for running without the garmin. Technology can be great most of the time but ignore the garmin for the next while and enjoy your running without knowing that the previous km was 2 seconds faster than the last one. life is just too short.

Wednesday 22nd June
    - 4.3 miles – 9.17 Av Pace
    Same again this morning. Wore the Garmin but didn’t look at it. Comfortable run for what it was but a little disconcerting in advance of a race – calves still heavy and achy. Just going to continue to hope for the best. I’ve decided not to wear the Garmin at all in Dunshaughlin so it will be interesting to see what comes of that…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Wednesday 22nd June
    - 4.3 miles – 9.17 Av Pace
    Same again this morning. Wore the Garmin but didn’t look at it. Comfortable run for what it was but a little disconcerting in advance of a race – calves still heavy and achy. Just going to continue to hope for the best. I’ve decided not to wear the Garmin at all in Dunshaughlin so it will be interesting to see what comes of that…

Before Cork I was really not feeling it, once the gun went off I was fine. Race day adrenaline will see you right!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Before Cork I was really not feeling it, once the gun went off I was fine. Race day adrenaline will see you right!

Here's hoping buddy, here's hoping...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just focus on the fact that the quicker you get over the line the quicker you can get stuck into a B-U-R-G-E-R three glasses of white, two bottles of Corona, a couple of cocktails and six or seven Jaeger bombs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will play along and it'll be perfect conditions for a PB :D
    (I'll keep my fingers crossed)

I haven't got the time, energy or heart to write a report on Saturday and how it went. To be honest, it's all a bit of a blur. Hadn't been feeling great the few days previous - a bad head cold, scratchy throat, aches and pains and just generally feeling wrecked. I was taking cold and flu tablets and self medicating / overdosing with an inhaler. I also hadn't been eating well and especially did not eat suitably on Saturday to fuel a good run (I think I only had porridge for breakfast and then half a banana and a granola bar all day...oops). I wasn't looking forward to this at all and was in poor form pretty much all day Saturday. So before I got ready to head out to the race, I gave myself a good talking to - to just run it and enjoy it and forget about times and pb's and everyone else's grande ideas. Anyway, long story short - I managed to hold 8min pace for a whole 2.5 miles and then it just started and continued to drop for the rest of the race. Nothing exciting to report, I was in my own world. It was very hot. I felt ok breathing wise thanks to the self medication. The calves were leaden and unhappy with my attempts to push it. Overtook a few people on the hill at 6k-ish and then very nearly had to take a puke-break around 7.5k. That kinda passed though. Legs eventually started to loosen out at about 8k but needless to say that was too little too late. When I saw that finish line, it couldn't come soon enough so head down, elbows out and away I went. Managed to sprint a whole 20metres to finish with a gun time of 54.03 - forgot to stop the Garmin so I don't know what the actual time was as I started a few seconds back. I was cold and weak when I finished but didn't want a coat or food...definitely wasn't anywhere near top form for running hard. So all things told, I'm over the bad performance. Nowhere near a PB but it's really not the end of the freakin world despite thinking that it would be.

My personal exerience aside, it was a great race - well organised, good route, great support - and I'd love to run it again properly sometime.

I was useless in the pub after so sorry guys - 1 glass of wine, no voice and I was ready for my night nurse.. although I did succumb to a couple of beers when we got back to Dublin. Thanks again for the lift Ray - much appreciated! :)

• Advertisement

I think this is my favourite photo... "Will she EVER finish...we're dying for a drink!!" :rolleyes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/5870575079/in/photostream

Meno fiddling again!:eek:

You weren't well and didn't win, so what! You still went and ran in difficult circumstances, congratulate yourself! Many others would have taken to their bed.

It's better to try and fail than never to try at all! (eg Digger):D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meno fiddling again!:eek:

Dirty fecker :pac:

Now, all that done and dusted and onto more important things.

This is inaugural week of my DCM-cherry-popping training and I am really looking foward to it. Going to follow P&D's 'Up to 55 Miles per Week 18-Week Schedule' which started yesterday with a rest day...happy days! Ha. I'm going to be strict on the mileage and do my very best with the planned paces but if I'm not 100% up to speed (haha speed!), then I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I've worked out my planned pacing using McMillan as a guide. So starting off I'm planning as follows (and happy to reassess and readjust as necessary but hopefully to faster times):-
    General Aerobic: 9.15 - 9.45 min/mile
    Lactate Threshold: 8.20 - 8.30 min/mile
    Medium / Long: 9.28 - 10.28 min/mile
    Recovery: 10.30 (+/-) min/mile
    Cross Training: 45 min cycle / cross trainer (weather dependent)

Week 1 - 33 miles
    Monday Rest / Cross Training
    Tuesday 8 w/ 4 LT
    Wednesday Rest / Cross Training
    Thursday 9 GA
    Friday Rest / Cross Training
    Saturday 4 Rec
    Sunday 12 LSR

Monday 27th June
    Rest

Tuesday 28th June
    Plan: 2 @ 9.15-9.45 / 4 @ 8.30 / 2 @ 9.15-9.35
    Actual: 8 miles @ 8.57 Av Pace - splits as follows: 9.30 / 9.04 / 8.27 / 8.34 / 8.51 / 9.36 / 9.10 / 8.38
    So completely off the wall... :rolleyes: Started too quickly which resulted in a cramp and 4 'faster' miles being amended to 3 'slightly faster than comfortable' miles, a couple of loosener miles and a random 'slightly faster' mile to finish. Need to work on the pacing it seems.. But I can do that. It was a lovely morning and though still not feeling 100% and a litte wheezy, I enjoyed it. I'm going to continue to dose myself and hope this shifts sooner rather than later. Also really need to sort the calves out. They're very tight so stretching properly will have to be part of the weekly plan. Anyway it was great to get a pre work run in after a manky day in the work yesterday and what looks to be a few imminent weeks of late nights...not fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Listen, you did great for somebody that wasn't feeling very well. I felt fine before the race and I struggled big time.
    You'll bounce back no bother.

Your threshold will change as you move through the program, don't be rigid with it!

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck with the plan Claralara. I started it a few weeks ago to allow for a few busy weeks, so will be interested to hear how you are progressing.

Have you any target in mind for Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Chirst :eek: Pick an easy run to start the programme would you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good luck with the plan kid and take it one day at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Well done on getting around in a very respectable time given your illness - I think everyone struggled in the heat and to be ill on top of it must have been hellish! Best of luck with the DCM11 plan!

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Have you any target in mind for Dublin?

I am, quite simply, targeting a PB. With the one and only marathon under my belt being Connemara and a PB of 4.28.25, I’m just going to beat that! :) Hopefully…:rolleyes:
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Chirst :eek: Pick an easy run to start the programme would you? :pac:

Ah I didn’t even do it properly!

9 miles tonight... Looking forward to it despite being off my head on a variety of drugs and vitamins and juices and anything and everything else I can get my sneaky little hands on!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with the training Claralara, your plan looks very scary to me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Best of luck Claralara with your new plan.

Only you could use the "DCM" and "cherry pop" in the same sentence and get away with it. lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

9 miles tonight... Looking forward to it despite being off my head on a variety of drugs and vitamins and juices and anything and everything else I can get my sneaky little hands on!!:D

Of course. You were sick on Saturday, and I've been smothering since Sunday. I blame you for my current predicament. :mad:

Of course. You were sick on Saturday, and I've been smothering since Sunday. I blame you for my current predicament. :mad:

Another Boards romance? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Another Boards romance? ;)

I knew that someone would come up with that response. The four of us had great fun in the car when we got to the Phoenix park, a little cramped though...

I knew that someone would come up with that response. The four of us had great fun in the car when we got to the Phoenix park, a little cramped though...

Now that's just crude! :cool:

I was a little apprehensive about Ray’s choice of route but I’m glad I held off starting on him and let the fun happen…

• Advertisement

Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training Claralara, your plan looks very scary to me:)

Et moi aussi!! :eek::eek:
    yungwan wrote: »
    Best of luck Claralara with your new plan.

Only you could use the "DCM" and "cherry pop" in the same sentence and get away with it. lol

Always pushing the boundaries...;)

Advertisement