Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to address the nation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Sky news did'nt cut the feed when Vinne called it like it was to Clowen and comical lenny. I'm calling for a national stoppage of the licence fee to RTE after the way they have backed FF today. Unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

what did vinny say...?

the boards server is shagged

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

alex73 wrote: »
    Did you hear that this thread was commented on by FOX news?

What'd they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Anyone voting FF in the next election should be sectioned. Bertie, Cowen and the FF cronies plundered into abyss not giving a sh1t for the ordinary Joe Soap... FUMING!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As another poster pointed out above, Lenihan is a smooth operator and is able to manipulate people's feelings. He appears businesslike, caring and on our side - he is not by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

complaints@rte.ie

vincent browne special at 10.30tonight on the bailout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

We're famous!
    What did they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

From the bottom of my heart comes the following:

To anyone who engaged in activity of any sorts which had a direct consequence as to financially nasal rape this once proud country; **** you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

Fat Traitor!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Is that some of the Shell to Sea wasters I see behind Sean Whelan:eek:

The were just pointing out we sold all are natural resources years ago......to the big oil company,s......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

anyone got a link

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Right - this is it. We, as a nation, cannot stand for this anymore. Our government has let us down. They have lied to us, they have made us into a laughing stock to the rest of the world. We have let ourselves down for letting them get away with it for as long as we have been. It's time to take action. Bombard RTÉ with angry emails, phone calls, faxes - whatever you can. Protest outside of your city halls, your county halls. Let them know that we have had enough.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Or as Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip put it in "Stake a Claim"

Or to Quote Keane! "I predict a riot"

People are mad. Everywhere is hopping. It's time to make Cowen remember he is there to serve OUR interests not his and his cronnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kaiser Chiefs, not Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Unfortunately i can see bloodshed on the streets in the next few weeks after this. Jesus all jokes aside this is a black day for the country.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Who's Vinnie and what did he do that caused the feed to be cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Did Keane cover that shít song too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Did anybody record it?
    I got sick of all the doom and gloom and decided to go for a nap and missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Fair play to Vincent Brown , he didn't hold back it was amusing watching that useless excuse for a party leader squirm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

mike65 wrote: »
    Is anyone finding boards as slow as BIFFO? 6651 people browsing right now.

There were 1031 on AH at the height of it* and 342 on the politics section plus 173 on the Irish Economy section.

I think that quite a lot of people were more interested in other issues :) Probably xfactor or something.

*When I took some screen shot to see how many were on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I assuming he was letting us know he's giving himself a raise? well deserved IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

lmaopml wrote: »
    I thought Vincent was an ass tbh. He wants the Taoiseach and the Government that are in the middle of some of the biggest talks we've ever needed to 'go right' - to resign straight away - and announces it all over the global stage, cause that's going to really help the national interest at this point in time, and contribute to our bargaining power with Europe and the IMF.

He couldn't hold his mouth, he actually shamed us with that barrage on this day of all days.....He could do that anywhere and regularly does, but knew that every single country is looking on tonight.

Dope.

They haven't released any details as of yet, because quite obviously they are still barganing Vincent you bloody ass, nice undermining for the sake of another 15 mins of fame - Shees President? No thanks...

I don't agree. He was asking very specific questions that needed to be answered, like where is the money going to go? "The banks" is all he had to say. Not a very difficult question. Another question: Why isn't anyone in government accountable for their actions and own up to their responsibilities? Did you hear the guy on the BBC before the speech. He was laying into Fiana Fail and Anglo, calling the whole thing an absolute disgrace.

Jesus, Vincent was only asking the questions we all wanted answered. And where better to do it, but on the world stage where everyone is watching.

Brown got hammered by the recession - his family home is actually going on the market and is rightly a little píssed off. He's not in as bad a situation as other folk though, as he pointed out himself. He really got screwed though.

The whole of Europe are paying for our own government's incompetent actions now, and he was bloody right to get stuck in. The French would have done a whole lot worse, believe me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Yep, my mate just text me from a bar in Manhattan. He nearly spat his coffee over the table when he saw it.

On a more serious note, things are really gonna get tough over the next few months. I can see the public sector taking a real hammering:). If you listen carefully, you can hear the faint clicking of the typewriters of the IMF crews as they slash their numbers and their salaries. Saw those Shell to Sea bankers there alright. Horrible shower, can't stand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I wish Brian's brother Sandy was running our country...

sandy2_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Mister men wrote: »
    Unfortunately i can see bloodshed on the streets in the next few weeks after this. Jesus all jokes aside this is a black day for the country.:(

Nah there won't be bloodshed. An "innocent" has to be killed by an authority figure before the angry mob feel they have the mandate to bring violence to the table. It's their simple self-righteous view of life that (in their mind at least) justifies everything they do.

themadhair wrote: »
    complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Javiero

RTE are advertising terminal 2 Dublin airport like mad. As if that's going to help us when tourists will be afraid to come here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kaiser Chiefs, not Keane.

Maybe Roy Keane said it at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Never mind Fox News, what about Twitter? :o
    N1GHTFALL: Breaking News. Steve Jobs is to buy Ireland to solve the debt problem. It will be rebranded iLand #Bailout
    ElaineByrne Elaine Byrne
    This is a bad day for Ireland, on top of other bad days. Things will get worse before they get better. But we will get through this #bailout
    urchinette Anna Carey@Glinner Vincent Browne was amazing. You can see how people reacted to him via the hashtag #vinb
    NotRTE_News NOT RTÉ News
    The first thing im doing is never paying my TV licence again. RTE f[e]ckers made me miss vincent browne #bailout
    vincentbrowne Vincent Browne
    #Vinb Crisis special this evening 10:30pm TV3. Liveblog here: http://bit.ly/axBBCbpolitico_ie )

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement