Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to address the nation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

See how quick RTE cut short the intervew outside LH as soon as the protesters chanting 'OUT, OUT, OUT' started getting louder.

Pathetic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dean0088 wrote: »
    What did Ursala do... I missed it :(

Asked Cowen if he was ashamed and if he'd be stepping down and he had the balls to say it was a national matrer and not a political one and he's looking forward to leading FF into the next general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

I started a thread earlier in the Politics forum wondering why Lenihan is so popular despite being so incompetent.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096423

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bloopy

Bombard Duffy tomorrow with complaints. cutting the damn feed just as it was gettin interesting

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No. Lenihan is the best politician I have ever seen in Ireland, better than Bertie Ahern even. He makes people like him, he sounds plausible, he makes sentences.

That just makes him very, very dangerous. A buffoon like Cowen can lead the country into oblivion. Can you imagine the damage his silver-tongued lieutenant could do? He's the guy who told us NAMA would fix the banks. He's the guy who guaranteed the banks - the guarantee that has sunk us.They have not been acting for the Irish people for at least the last 5 years, and now we have arrived where we deserve to be - in the ****ter. We put them in power, didn't we?

Fair point. I'd still rather have him as Taoiseach than Cowen though

I didn't put them in power though. I only got the vote last year :P. Even though each party is as bad as the other IMO, I still think Cowen should be calling for a General Election right now. Is he gonna? No. He still thinks that he can remain in office. Where was he this weekend while the IMF were examining the state of our country? Canvassing in Donegal for votes he'll never win :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This FF/Green sham government cannot go on for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

So what was the announcement? This thread is too long to read through. Are we screwed? - er - are we more screwed than we were?

Early figures on how screwed we are stood about the 70 - 80 billion ways region. A source on Sky News has now put this figure at around 100 billion ways. Clowen would not confirm this figure. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

BERBA wrote: »
    biffo says he takes his share of blame

reality check: Mr Cowen your fully to blame for this.

Eh don't forget bertie the snake ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I have zero time for Brian Cowan, but I think he will do the right thing and go on the 8th December. Brian Lenihan will then take over until the Greens pull the plug in Febuary, and we have an election beginning of April

Speaking of the Greens, them ****ers are fairly keeping their heads down this past week, ain't they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I thought Vincent was an ass tbh. He wants the Taoiseach and the Government that are in the middle of some of the biggest talks we've ever needed to 'go right' - to resign straight away - and announces it all over the global stage, cause that's going to really help the national interest at this point in time, and contribute to our bargaining power with Europe and the IMF.

He couldn't hold his mouth, he actually shamed us with that barrage on this day of all days.....He could do that anywhere and regularly does, but knew that every single country is looking on tonight.

Dope.

They haven't released any details as of yet, because quite obviously they are still barganing Vincent you bloody ass, nice undermining for the sake of another 15 mins of fame - Shees President? No thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

Armed Rebellion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://newswhip.ie/national-2/bailout
    Bailout taoiseach says he is not a liability
    Posted on November 21, 2010 by Gerard Cunningham

Brian Cowen finally appeared on RTE at 8.30pm on Sunday night to say what everyone already knew. Ireland needs a bailout.

“I don’t accept the premise of what you’re saying,” Cowen told columnist Vincent Browne, who asked if he accepted he was seen as a liability to his party, government and country.

He was speaking at a press conference held in Government Buildings, announcing a major financial assistance package agreed with the EU.

The taoiseach said the question of amending the Irish corporation tax, seen as controversial by several European governments, had not arisen.

Finance minister Brian Lenihan said the fundamentals of the economy remained sound.

Asked if he had “thought about packing it in”, the taoiseach said his government would show it’s continued determination to tackle Ireland’s problems. However, he did not say if he would remain as taoiseach of the government.

“In relation to my own position I have made it very clear this government is determined to fulfil its duty,” he said.

He said he was confident the budget would receive majority support in the Dáil.

Brian Lenihan said that overseas and non-essential assets of the banks would be disposed of.

And the taoiseach told journalist Vincent Browne he could not give a specific answer on the question of how much would be drawn down by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

See how quick RTE cut short the intervew outside LH as soon as the protesters chanting 'OUT, OUT, OUT' started getting louder.

Pathetic :rolleyes:

You mean cutting an interview short because background noise started overpowering it?

Yeah, that's shocking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We know we're screwed, but it's consoling to know that the FF government is quadruply-screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

Pat Rabbiteeeeeeee "Some would say that it is good that people who can count are looking after it now"

Or something like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Fianna FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Lenihan is just as much to blame as Cowen.
    He is just as sly, and just as incompetent.

Lenihan is infinitely more sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

lmaopml wrote: »
    He couldn't hold his mouth, he actually shamed us with that barrage on this day of all days.....He could do that anywhere and regularly does, but knew that every single country is looking on tonight.
    Dope.

Except for the one country that counts because our so-called national broadcaster cut the feed.

I don't realy care what the rest of Europe thinks about us any more. They've got us where they want us, f*ck Europe to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Duiske wrote: »
    Speaking of the Greens, them ****ers are fairly keeping their heads down this past week, ain't they ?

They're probably kept busy sleeping around with all the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

feck this for a game of conkers, I'm outta here.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

OctavarIan wrote: »
    You mean cutting an interview short because background noise started overpowering it?

I was watching on RTE; didn't notice any background noise let alone overpowering background noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Something tells me that if they'd been chanting "Five More Years. Five More Years. " that RTE would have managed to soldier thru the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

It was nowhere near overpowering it. Don't be ridiculous. It's just RTE doing it's usual denial routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

PRESS RELEASE

21 November 2010 - ECB Governing Council welcomes the request of the Irish Government for financial assistance

The Governing Council of the European Central Bank (ECB) welcomes the request of the Irish Government for financial assistance from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the European Union and euro-area Member States. The ECB concurs with the Commission, Ecofin Ministers and the Eurogroup that providing assistance to Ireland is warranted to safeguard financial stability in the European Union and in the euro area.

The European Union and euro-area financial support, together with the IMF financing, will be provided under strong policy conditionality, on the basis of a programme negotiated with the Irish authorities by the Commission and the IMF, in liaison with the ECB.

We are confident that this programme will contribute to ensuring the stability of the Irish banking system and permit it to perform its role in the functioning of the economy.

European Central Bank
    Directorate Communications
    Press and Information Division
    Kaiserstrasse 29, D-60311 Frankfurt am Main
    Tel.: +49 69 1344 7455, Fax: +49 69 1344 7404
    Internet: http://www.ecb.europa.eu
    Reproduction is permitted provided that the source is acknowledged.

http://www.ecb.int/press/pr/date/2010/html/pr101121.en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Did you hear that this thread was commented on by FOX news?

Right - this is it. We, as a nation, cannot stand for this anymore. Our government has let us down. They have lied to us, they have made us into a laughing stock to the rest of the world. We have let ourselves down for letting them get away with it for as long as we have been. It's time to take action. Bombard RTÉ with angry emails, phone calls, faxes - whatever you can. Protest outside of your city halls, your county halls. Let them know that we have had enough.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Or as Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip put it in "Stake a Claim"
    In this democracy I as a citizen reserve the right to stand up for what I believe in*
    In this democracy I as a citizen I'm not accountable to the government
    In this democracy the government is accountable to us, the people
    In this democracy the government is elected by us, the people
    To represent us, the people
    In our best interests, on national and international scale
    And if they're not doing so, In this democracy, I as a citizen reserve the right
    To raise up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

God, Brian Lenihan looked so unwell. I feel a bit bad for him to be honest (on a personal level, not political), Cowen on the other hand can go and hang for all I care

That press conference was complete bollocks, they really don't give a toss about the public do they? They're either lying to our faces or telling us silly platitudes

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Nforce wrote: »
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen is apparently set to address the nation ... to be broadcast at some stage on RTE1.
    Serious LIP LICKING TO BE DONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Don't they know Christmas is cancelled?

Speak for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is that some of the Shell to Sea wasters I see behind Sean Whelan:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement