Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should TG4 be closed down in the 2011 budget?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

What in the flying f**k do they need €36 million a year for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

leave TG4, banish RTE/TV3 and CH6....giving ud news we dont want nor have to hear!

State sponsored news will always be biased anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mainly for dubbing old episodes of Scooby Doo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I hate when Im flicking through the channels during the day and see south park on, sweet I says and bang...... Its in Irish. :(

Other than that Im all for it, promote the language!

Im actually jealous of my friends who can speak it so well. Someday I will learn it again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What did RTE do with €375 million in 2009 (apart from run a deficit)?

Oh wait ... one thing they did was pay Director-General Cathal Goan a €46,000 performance bonus, bringing his overall earnings (including pension contributions) to €394,000 for that year.

Anyone else getting a sense of deja-vu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

What the flying feck to Anglo Irish Bank need THIRTY THOUSAND MILLION Euro for? A black hole.

TG4 have produced first class content with their measly €33m. That is what it costs to run a TV station.

Yet you still moan and piss on about it.

Get real :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

I can barely understand it (yes im ashamed), but im happy that it exists and I don't want it to disappear.

Why not cut the stupidly high wages of the rte celebs. €1 million for Tubridy. Really???

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Really wish you could specify what your license fee funds, I would split the 160 euro equally between TG4 and Lyric FM. TG4 is the best of the four terrestrial channels, the rest are just woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I suggest we end the bank guarantee and increase tg4s money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RTE, TV3 and TG4 should each get 1/3 of the licence fee and not a penny more from public finances. The millions RTE wastes in paying its so called "top people" from a fund the public have no choice but to pay due to the law really is an outrage.

Level the playing field for all the various media outlets supported by public funds and let them sink or swim on the quality they produce just like every other business in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes, I've support this.

We proabbly still have more native polish speakers in Ireland than native Irish speakers, we certainly did in our recent past.

And on a safety note, get ride of those stupid dual language road signs too, rather don't get ride of them just stop making them.

Stop hundreds of thousands of leaflets and booklets being translated into Irish too, total nonessential and a waste of money even for those good time days.

In the Irish forum one will find where €300,000 was spent on some Government document to translate into Irish ad ONE, one solitary copy was purchased.

Irish nonessential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Venom wrote: »
    RTE, TV3 and TG4 should each get 1/3 of the licence fee.

TV3 should get the same as RTE 1 & 2 combined :eek:

Why should TV3 get the steam off our p1$$ theyre a private business for crysakes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Let it die along with everything else Irish-language related.

disgustingly inappropriate comment - and sad especially (if) you are an Irish person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

TG4 is far better than RTE imo, and miles better than TV3!
    They have some fantastic documentaries, their take on reeling in the years is very good and they had a documentary series a while ago about each person who signed the Proclamation of the Irish Republic in 1916, it was fantastic I thought.

Ros na Run isn't bad either, doesn't have the same cliched plotlines as Eastenders and Corry, and it makes me laugh too.

They get great films too, just a few weeks ago there was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas & Thirteen.

If anything, TV3 should be scrapped completely, just replaying ITV's terrible shows while failing to make their own stuff too, the only thing I watch on TV3 is Ireland AM & sometimes Midday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

dmm1000 wrote: »
    disgustingly inappropriate comment - and sad especially (if) you are an Irish person

I'm Irish and I find it neither disgusting nor inappropriate but in fact relevant. What I do find disgusting is the fanaticism of some speakers as well as the sneering tone of "a real Irish person would support it".

On topic: I don't particularly care what happens to it. While I understand the need for public broadcasting to cater to a wide range of interests (including the niche), I have to wonder just how far that should extend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

TG4 is a model that RTÉ would do well to learn from.
    They have a small budget and punch well above their weight.

If you're looking for cuts OP, RTÉ is where you go
    Marion Finuance on 500k for four hours of radio a week :confused:
    Slash those salaries, like where is she going to go to?
    Joe Duffy on 400k but Philip Boucher Hayes did a great job filling in. Give him 100k and get rid of Joe

I'd be giving the TG4 managers a bonus and ship them over to RTÉ.
    Edit: Mike 1972 explained it better on page 1. Do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Sardonicat wrote: »
    [/B]
    Thanks for posting in a language I don't understand. Appreciate that.

You're on an Irish website, used by Irish people who understand Irish (shock, horror), so get over it. Perish the thought that Irish people could be allowed to write in Irish as well as English on Boards.ie. The intolerance is breathtaking.

Morkarleth wrote: »
    What I do find disgusting is the fanaticism of some speakers as well as the sneering tone of "a real Irish person would support it".

And thank God we don't have innumerable examples of the fanaticism of some English speakers in Ireland such as "How dare Irish be used on an Irish website!" "Who do these Irish people think they are having a station which broadcasts in Irish?" "They should all change to English like us, the real representatives of modern, progressive Ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The subject of the thread is TG4.

The majority language of this country is English. By a million miles, whatever it states in the constitution and whatever aspirations were held by some fascistic blokes at the turn of the century, English is the predominate language spoken here. All Irish people can understand English, so do us the courtesy of posting in that language we all understand on a forum that is not designated for Irish speakers, or at the very least, a translation.

Despite 12 years of school here I came out with more French than Irish. I lay the blame for that firmly at the door of the policy makers who decided how to teach it. A sizeable number of Irish people really do not care if no-one speaks it or not. I am not one of them, but God, do I hate the language fascists.

Use Google Translate - it takes two seconds:

"TG4 is excellent and it is needed in the modern world. It is much better than listening to the donkey testicles on Frontline etc."

Sovereignty means that a territory has complete independant authority over its own jurisdiction.

If that's your definition of sovereignty then no country in the developed world, if not the entire world, has "sovereignty".

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Genuine question here would you be willing to pay a bit extra for it, in terms of licence fee?

I would, certainly. Would monoglot English speakers be willing to pay extra for the far greater number of TV shows available in their chosen language?

At any rate, TV is so last century. TG4 is refreshingly different with more diversity, more beautiful women, superb documentaries and some of the best continental films. It's much better value for money, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Would monoglot English speakers be willing to pay extra for the far greater number of TV shows available in their chosen language?

$ky/UPC/etc seem to think they are

gbee wrote: »
    get ride of those stupid dual language road signs too, rather don't get ride of them just stop making them.

:rolleyes: Now that's English language fanaticism in action. The intolerance and insecurity underlying it is cringe-worthy.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    $ky/UPC/etc seem to think they are

They aren't paid for by the licence fee, which was the poster's question: would people pay more in their licence fee for Irish language programmes/support for TG4. I would. Would people pay more for their TV licence for the far greater number of English language programmes which are funded by the licence fee on RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It would be a shame to see it go.

People only realise the value of having their own cultural identity when its gone.

And thank God we don't have innumerable examples of the fanaticism of some English speakers in Ireland such as "How dare Irish be used on an Irish website!"

A privately owned website, I might remind you. There's an Irish language forum for those who wish to converse in it, doing so outside it is pure ignorance and a childish sticking the tongue out to those who don't speak it.

Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    People only realise the value of having their own cultural identity when its gone.

This is something I don't get: Irish is not part of my (and I'm sure many others) cultural identity. Don't presume to speak for me.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It would be a shame to see it go.

Isn't that the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

TG4 is vastly superior to RTE 1 & 2 and it is the polar opposite of TV3.

Brilliant documentaries, brilliant commissioned programmes, the top shows from across the pond and brilliant movies as well.

For example, they did Hector i Meiriceá Theas years before Charlie Bird did his Amazon trip. Check out the difference in reaction between the guys when they were offered the tree sap that is a basis for Milk of Magnesia. Says it all really.

Reading the subtitles could help improve some peoples English here as well as their Irish;)

Keep them going on the budget they have.

Morkarleth wrote: »
    A privately owned website, I might remind you. There's an Irish language forum for those who wish to converse in it, doing so outside it is pure ignorance and a childish sticking the tongue out to those who don't speak it.

Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should.

A privately-owned commercial website, which is Irish and depends largely on Irish people - a majority of whom are very positive towards the Irish language, oddly enough.
    That somebody wants the Irish language to be sent off to the online equivalent of a native American reservation says more about the mentality of that person.

Usually when I come across something on this website that I don't understand/am not interested in I move on. I don't make a big issue out of it and intolerantly demand the removal of it so that the website is brought down to my level of ignorance. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A privately-owned commercial website, which is Irish and depends largely on Irish people - a majority of whom are very positive towards the Irish language, oddly enough.

You're missing my point - just because the website is Irish owned does not mean one has to speak or even allow the speaking of Irish on it. The owners can decide that.
    That somebody wants the Irish language to be sent off to the online equivalent of a native American reservation says more about the mentality of that person.
    What I want (though thanks for putting words in my mouth) is of no consequence, there is a sub-forum of AH for people who want to post in Irish, that is the reality.
    Also, you may want to drop the persecution complex, it's juvenile and belittles your position.
    Usually when I come across something on this website that I don't understand/am not interested in I move on.
    But the person who was addressed in Irish is interested in this topic and to reply to them in a language they don't speak is nothing short of ignorant.
    I don't make a big issue out of it and intolerantly demand the removal of it so that the website is brought down to my level of ignorance. :rolleyes:
    Ignorance? Really? I find your attitude impudent and ignorant. The implication that if someone can't speak Irish they're ignorant really says a lot about you.

Do you really think that being this melodramatic is doing anything for your argument?

Advertisement