Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Hi there bigpink, it's the Mary I Students' Union here!

We checked up on this for you and we've been told by the college's Sports Officer that there is no such sports scholarship.

As you may know, the only students who can gain entry into the college without going through the CAO are mature students, who have to be aged 23 or above.

In regards to failing a year in one college and then transferring to MIC - if they've failed a year in another college they would have to reapply through the CAO to secure a place here in Mary I.

Hope this clears the situation up for you. Also, best of luck to your relative with their results tomorrow.

Thank you for the reply.Its just the "rumour mill" at this stage but the person would be a high profile sportsperson and ive heard from lots of people they are starting there in Sept,time will tell if they get through the CAO thats fair enough but i have my doubts over seeing similar happen in LIT

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

looks like il be in mary i next year. hello to all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Well done! At least we'll have one new poster come September!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You're going into 3rd year B.Ed right Dan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 parabola_89

Hey all! First time poster here. I feel I should introduce myself because everyone here seems to know each other quite well. I'm preparing to go into 3rd year and I'm a B. Ed. Psych.

I say preparing because I'm currently in the middle of studying for an exam I missed in December due to illness. I applied for, and received, an "I" grade at the time.

While I was sitting here looking through notes, I began wondering about what actually happens if I fail the exam in a few days' time. I understand that, if I had failed at Christmas and failed the repeat, I would have to repeat the semester (not too worried about failing - not trying to come across as arrogant or anything though, so apologies if I seem a little full of myself in that statement!) But because this is my first attempt at the exam, do the same protocols apply to me, and others in the same boat as me, or would I have the opportunity to attempt it again?

I'd appreciate it very much if the S.U., or anyone reading this, could help. Thanks a million in advance! :)

• Advertisement

Welcome along Parabola \o/

I'm not an authority on this now, but I believe I grade exams are repeats in all but name and result. If you fail them that's it.

Could be wrong though, so wait til MISU get back on this. Nice to see new posters though :) I'm just finished in that hellhole wonderful place, so I hope Senior TP goes well for you :D

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    You're going into 3rd year B.Ed right Dan?
    Indeed.
    I'm not an authority on this now, but I believe I grade exams are repeats in all but name and result. If you fail them that's it.

I agree. As far as I know it doesn't matter what gave rise to your sitting of the Summer exam, that's the last exam that will be set for that particular module. The MISU would have a more concrete answer for you. I'd say that that situation doesn't arise very often.

The closest thing to your situation that i can find in the Student Handbook is this:
    Students who receive a second 'I' grade for the same module(s) in the Annual Repeats (up to a maximum of 2
    modules in any one semester) will be permitted to clear the module(s) on a link-in basis during the following academic year on an uncapped basis. Students who receive an 'I' grade for the first time in a module during
    the Annual Repeats will retain their original grade.

Something similar may apply if you were to fail an I Grade repeat. Once again, further clarification from MISU or Student Services required.

Good luck with your repeats anyway, hopefully your hypothetical situation won't arise!

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi there,

MISU here. Just a response to the failing exams question. If you fail a repeat exam, you get the opportunity to link in with that module the following year. Naturally this means that you would not graduate with your current class. Like everything though, there is a standard rule but every case will vary. I don't htink you need to worry about it just yet though.

Best of Luck with your exams and we will see you in September.

Also, a huge welcome to our new poster who will be coming to MIC! :)

Welcome along Parabola \o/

Thanking you Onion! Glad you got the Tool reference! \m/ :D

And thanks for all the prompt replies everyone! As I said, I was only wondering, and I hope this is the last I think of it!

On a much more positive note, this thread is a great idea. Kinda sorry it took me until I'm halfway through my time in the college to come here! Maybe it should be highlighted to the new 1st years so they can ask anything they're a little conscious about asking in person? Just a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

On a much more positive note, this thread is a great idea. Kinda sorry it took me until I'm halfway through my time in the college to come here! Maybe it should be highlighted to the new 1st years so they can ask anything they're a little conscious about asking in person? Just a thought...

Is anyone going to use WTL's super cool forum :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

lighthouse wrote: »
    Is anyone going to use WTL's super cool forum here. :(

Lighthouse, this isn't the place to be advertising your website.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Is anyone going to use WTL's super cool forum :(

I'll site ban you if I catch you pimping your website again.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Just wanted to say that the Tara building is absolutely unreal!

Worth the wait! I'm just disappointed that I'll only get a year in it!
    Also, welcome to the new posters :D

Just wanted to say that the Tara building is absolutely unreal!

Worth the wait! I'm just disappointed that I'll only get a year in it!
    Also, welcome to the new posters :D

At least you'll get the year! I'll only have my mooching around :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm still waiting to hear whether or not I'll be getting an extra year there...

Got my hopes up when I got a letter from the college yesterday. Turned out to be nothing more than a pointless reminder about that feckin' survey they terrified us with in Results Week! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

@Insect
    are you planning on finishing out your english degree? or doing some form of post grad?

@Onion, you know you wanna come back!

Hi MISU,
    I was looking at yer guide on misu.ie for 1st years "Pubbing, clubbing, eating out and more." and it seems to me ye have made an important omission re. places to eat around College. Last year myself and my friends always ate in Punche's. They had a student lunch for €6.50, normally a choice of 2 or 3 each day. Scott's used only do 1 student lunch at lunch time for €8. (Granted they did have a choice of 2 or 3 for €8 after 3pm.)
    Also another thing that pissed me off last year was towards the end of semester 2 they (Scott's) started charging 60 or 70 cents for the mi-wadi which was free before this. Punch's never charged for this. Finally having eaten in both places I felt the portions were bigger in Punch's although I was always happy with the quality of food in Scott's.
    BTW I don't have any shares in Punch's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

@Insect
    are you planning on finishing out your english degree? or doing some form of post grad?

I've applied for the MA in Gaeilge, but it's complicated by the delay in getting my TP repeat result.
    I was looking at yer guide on misu.ie for 1st years "Pubbing, clubbing, eating out and more." and it seems to me ye have made an important omission re. places to eat around College. Last year myself and my friends always ate in Punche's.

+1 to this. Punch's did a really great deal on food for Mary I staff and students last year. It should definitely be recommended to new students.

Hi MISU,
    I was looking at yer guide on misu.ie for 1st years "Pubbing, clubbing, eating out and more." and it seems to me ye have made an important omission re. places to eat around College. Last year myself and my friends always ate in Punche's. They had a student lunch for €6.50, normally a choice of 2 or 3 each day. Scott's used only do 1 student lunch at lunch time for €8. (Granted they did have a choice of 2 or 3 for €8 after 3pm.)
    Also another thing that pissed me off last year was towards the end of semester 2 they (Scott's) started charging 60 or 70 cents for the mi-wadi which was free before this. Punch's never charged for this. Finally having eaten in both places I felt the portions were bigger in Punch's although I was always happy with the quality of food in Scott's.
    BTW I don't have any shares in Punch's.

Hi lighthouse, we have updated the guide and Punch's has been included.

• Advertisement

Yer on the ball Noel. I said that about ye the first time I laid eyes on ye :cool:

Also, a huge welcome to our new poster who will be coming to MIC! :)

Thanks for that I was that lad that dropped into the su looking for advice on accomodation yesterday. thanks for the help

Morning all!

The CAO offers are released today. Here's a list of the points for Mary I courses, just in case you're interested.

Liberal Arts: 405 (up 10)
    B.Ed: 475* (down 5)
    B.Ed (Gaeltacht Applicants): 435 (down 15)
    ECCE: 370 (up 10)
    B.Ed & Psych: 540 (down 10)

*Not all who received these points were offered a place.

Morning all!

The CAO offers are released today. Here's a list of the points for Mary I courses, just in case you're interested.

Liberal Arts: 405 (up 10)
    B.Ed: 475* (down 5)
    B.Ed (Gaeltacht Applicants): 435 (down 15)
    ECCE: 370 (up 10)
    B.Ed & Psych: 540 (down 10)

*Not all who received these points were offered a place.

There will be some very disappointed people on 475 today. Congratulations to anybody reading who got in - you're now part of a very exclusive club:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Still can't believe I'll be going here, absolutely can't wait:pac:

tictac__x wrote: »
    Still can't believe I'll be going here, absolutely can't wait:pac:

Welcome!

Well done to everyone that got a place here in September! :D

looking for accomodation is the worst thing ever

leg wrote: »
    looking for accomodation is the worst thing ever

If you're not planning on living with anyone in particular, I'd recommend Ashdown Student Village. There's always a spare room or two (or a load if last semester was anything to go by) going there. You just have to push them a little! I lived with two of my friends from secondary school there during first year. We booked in February and were told that it was the last available apartment. Then another one rang up around this time (just after they were sure they were going to Mary I) and got a double room to himself! :eek: I was there last year too, and it's grand for first years/second years because that's what the majority living there is made up of! There are others, but they all have their pros and cons. City Campus is cheaper than Ashdown, but it is a good deal further away from the college. Same thing for Hartstonge Gate, which is further still but definitely the best equipped of any of the student accomodations (they have leather couches :eek:), while Courtbrack is single rooms for each student and is right beside the college, but you'll have to put up with sharing toilets and cooking facilities with everyone else in your block (the kitchens are HUGE but they're generally left in a state for the cleaners to look after).

At the end of the day though, Ashdown is a bit pricey (€110 to share with an ensuite plus a deposit of €500 to cover electricity, heating and other things and around €15 dearer per week if you want a single room, provided there's one going), but it is right across the road from the college so you're paying for proximity (something vital for me - I'd never have gone to college at all if I wasn't close to it! :D). Houses are cheaper (four of us are getting a house in Castlewell, which is two minutes from the college, for €75 each a week plus whatever E.S.B. we use) but you've to deal with landlords and other things like that. And it's definitely easier to get to know people in student accomodation because you're sharing the apartment blocks, and the general area, with other people who are trying to do the exact same thing!

By the way, forgot to mention but contact numbers are available for most of the above on the Mary I website if you're interested. Hope this helped and good luck finding a place! :cool:

• Advertisement

Parabola's fairly spot on there.

@parabola- I hope your exam goes OK this week. Best of luck with it!

Advertisement