Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

leg wrote: »
    I have heard alot of different views alright but anyway il make my own nightlife :cool:

That's the kind of attitude that's going to make the Mary I nightlife class for yourself. Unfortunately, it took me til the last semester to get it. All the more fun for you! You going to be doing B.A. or B.Ed?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Hopefully it will be good nd not live up to the "mary dry" reputation. (why is it called that anyway?). I hope to do the b.ed

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

leg wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be good nd not live up to the "mary dry" reputation. (why is it called that anyway?). I hope to do the b.ed

As you said yourself it's what you make of it. The B Ed course will keep you on your toes though. I know cos. I have spent the last 3 years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

lighthouse wrote: »
    As you said yourself it's what you make of it. The B Ed course will keep you on your toes though. I know cos. I have spent the last 3 years there.

I dont mind abit of work anyway hopefully it'll be worth doing the work if there is good fun to be had

Mary I in some respects is like a large school. Depending on your viewpoint this can be either an advantage or disadvantage. There is a friendly atmosphere in the College and this includes staff. As they say take what you like and leave the rest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

I agree with Lighthouse. It's so similar to secondary school in some ways which can really get annoying. That said, it's easier to get to know people in a smaller college and classes are often smaller than that of a larger one.

As for the nightlife... as many above have said, make what you want of it. There are plenty of pubs, clubs, gigs and stuff in Limerick. Pick what you enjoy and make the most of it.

As for being a boy... don't worry. Lads tend to find a group of guys to hang out with easily enough. You'll have plenty of choice amongst the women too! Definitely not something to complain about on a night out!

@Hulk Hands, I know you're only trying to get a rise out of us all, but for the record, I'd like to point out that my housemates and closest friends went out at least three nights a week in first year. That was pretty much the same for the majority of students I know. That's not exactly living up to the Mary Dry reputation now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

lighthouse wrote: »
    There is a friendly atmosphere in the College and this includes staff.
    I'd definitely agree with this as regards the Mary I faculty, not once did a lecturer fail to reply to my numerous emails and students should consider themselves lucky in that regard.

I'm just after finishing my MA in UL and unfortunately the same cannot be said of the faculty there, well at least in my department.

Hope all the noobs enjoy their time in Mary I...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If any of the MISU team are reading I have an issue that I'd like to be addressed!:cool:

The main Mary I website www.mic.ul.ie is a bit of a shambles. It hasn't changed much since I was applying to the college myself, and at the time I found it useless. Comparing it to the websites of the other colleges I was looking at, I didn't get a very good impression at all. There are major problems with the consistency of the layout between different pages, and some of the pages look like they were written in 1999. I don't know what input the MISU have into this, but I didn't know any other way of raising the issue. Even a link to www.misu.ie would be something, it's 100 times better than the mic.ul.ie. Sorry about the rant!

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hello all,

Firstly to the prospective MIC B.Ed student, I hope to see you in September and be sure to drop into the Students' Union to say hello. On the nightlife in Mary I? As the majority of responses have stated, its what you make it. However, that goes in any college. I

will say one thing about Mary I though in relation to this. Its smaller population and proximity to the city result in a very successful nightlife. It’s easier to make friends and find people with similar interests to you and the city has such a variety of entertainment to offer that there is literally something for everyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but in our experience, those who have a negative view of MIC's nightlife have not been students of Mary I themselves so make of that what you will.

Keep in mind also, that MISU will attempt to cater for all interests in terms of entertainment but as you know, it’s not our sole responsibility but heres to a great year on that front! :)

Also, in relation to the Mary I website. Yes, you are right, it is not connected to us insofar as we have no say it. It is the college website, not the MISU one but I am still glad that you brought it to our attention. If its bothers you, we want to hear about it.

I am delighted to report that an updated version of the Mary I website will be launched in the coming months. Hopefully this solves your query and iIagree that there should be a link to our website on it. Thanks for your suggestions. It's important that you keep us in the loop with your queries.

Talk soon,

MISU Team

Hello all,

Firstly to the prospective MIC B.Ed student, I hope to see you in September and be sure to drop into the Students' Union to say hello. On the nightlife in Mary I? As the majority of responses have stated, its what you make it. However, that goes in any college. I

will say one thing about Mary I though in relation to this. Its smaller population and proximity to the city result in a very successful nightlife. It’s easier to make friends and find people with similar interests to you and the city has such a variety of entertainment to offer that there is literally something for everyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but in our experience, those who have a negative view of MIC's nightlife have not been students of Mary I themselves so make of that what you will.

Keep in mind also, that MISU will attempt to cater for all interests in terms of entertainment but as you know, it’s not our sole responsibility but heres to a great year on that front! :)

Also, in relation to the Mary I website. Yes, you are right, it is not connected to us insofar as we have no say it. It is the college website, not the MISU one but I am still glad that you brought it to our attention. If its bothers you, we want to hear about it.

I am delighted to report that an updated version of the Mary I website will be launched in the coming months. Hopefully this solves your query and iIagree that there should be a link to our website on it. Thanks for your suggestions. It's important that you keep us in the loop with your queries.

Talk soon,

MISU Team

Thanks very much for the prompt reply!

• Advertisement

Now why the hell didn't the MISU have an account here while I was in college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Now why the hell didn't the MISU have an account here while I was in college :D

Because you touch yourself at night!

WTL's new forum coming soon. Watch this space.:D

Good luck with the forum lighthouse.

MISUteam have put up the video tour! Well done! You really should put it up on misu.ie so nobody will miss it!

Hi MISU congrats on the new ventures ye have embarked on. My own belief having spent 3 years in Mary I is there can never be enough outlets when one is trying to dissemenate information.
    Just a point regarding misu.ie, very impressed with the changes that have taken place.
    However like last year sometimes HTML appears on the page which takes a little from the appearance of the message ye are trying to get across. E.G. on this page you can see the HTML (HTML, for the unenlightened, is the code that is used to write web pages).
    Hope ye don't mind a bit of constructive criticism.
    Anyway go n-éiri an bothar libh agus go mbearimid beo ag an am seo arís.:D

Hi lighthouse, thanks for the good wishes!

We're hoping to avoid the random HTML this year because last year it was dotted here and there on the site and it does very much take the shine off any site. I can't see it on the page though, can u pinpoint it because I'm overlooking it or maybe it's just the browser I'm using that I'm seeing it.

Thanks for letting us know. We want people to point out this type of stuff and other things they think need to be changed, across the board, not just with the site, because if we don't know about it we can't help get it changed.

MISU,
    Maybe it's my browser. I have Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7 (new computer). Here is a copy and paste from that page. It's just the First Year English books section.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Astley, Neil. ed. (2002) Staying Alive - Real Poems for Unreal Times, Northumberland: Bloodaxe Books.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Shaffer, P. (1993) Equus, ed. by Roy Blatchford and Adrian Burke, London: Longman. ISBN-13: 978-0582097124
    <!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Williams, T. (2005) A Streetcar Named Desire, ed. by Patricia Hern, Methuen Student Edition, London: Methuen. ISBN-13: 978-0413518903
    <!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Howard, Paul. (2007) Ross O'Carroll-Kelly: Should Have Got Off at Sydney Parade, Dublin: Penguin Ireland.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Joyce, James. (2003) A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, introduction by Seamus Deane, Dublin: Penguin Classics.

Interesting. The browser on my phone doesn't show up the displaced HTML and neither does Firefox. However, when I open up the page in IE8 in Windows 7 the HTML code is visible.

It's a glitch between Internet Explorer and the program which the website runs in.

We'll look further into this on Monday.

Testing your website on Firefox is all well and good and while it'll work fine for people who aren't idiots (ie: those running anything but ie) those running the abomination that is anything under IE8 are going to have problems.

Unfortunately that's a large market share, a share that is probably even bigger in a college like Mary I where a vast majority of students refer to the blue "e" on their desktop as "the internet".

You've two options really, maul your HTML for those using IE7 or under, or have it say on the site somewhere (very visible) that in order to get the most out of MISU they should download and install Firefox/Chrome (link to these)

Just a suggestion.

I downloaded Chrome on my old laptop and my buttons on whatsthelan.com were all messed up so I didn't bother downloading it for my new computer. I take it you are not a fan of IE. As you rightfully point it out most people would only use IE. IE would be the only browser on College computers as well I presume so you would need misu.ie to work OK in IE. Anyway I'm off to bed so I won't see your reply until tomorrow i.e if you reply tonight.

• Advertisement

Just looked at the site in IE, seeing all the code that lighthouse is on about. Luckily I use Chrome :cool:. I don't understand what's so great about Firefox, don't like it at all actually. And I really don't understand all the snobbery about IE :pac::p. Is it that bad?

IE8 has taken back some bit of respectability by stealing ideas which are about 5 years old from Opera/Firefox, but it's still miles behind the other browsers in terms of keeping with the times and features. For instance, it is doing dismally in the "who's ready for HTML5" stakes.
    WTFisHTML5.jpg

Not to mention the fact that it hogs as much system resources as it ever has, takes aeons to install (I just had to do it there on a laptop I'm repairing), and STILL isn't passing some of the W3C standards.

(for the record, I use Chrome)

IE8 does what it says on the tin for me so I'm not really worried about extra features. I might do a bit of research on some of these other browsers but my thoughts are "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
    Also because the majority of people use IE of some sort and if my site WTL looks OK in it, I'm happy.
    One point D4RK if you are so unhappy with IE why are you putting it on a machine for someone. Also is it not included as part of the OS?

It is broke though, and you should fix it! It has mountains of security flaws and as my post stated it still doesn't comply with HTML standards after all these years, something which Chrome has been able to do in less than a year of being released.

As for your site catering only for IE users, er...
    50a62.jpg

Best of luck with that. Only sites written in compliant HTML code will appear correctly on all browsers. Testing your site on IE alone is just silly.

Finally IE is an integrated part of the XP OS. Removing it borks the computer, so I said it may as well be IE8 (and not IE6) if it had to be there.

Anywho, gone miles off topic here, so I'll leave it at that.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Anywho, gone miles off topic here, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

+1 for Chrome!
    I've been installing it on every system I get my hands on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Hi
    Not in Mary i just asking a question for a family member
    They have applied to Mary i this year through CAO so waiting on leaving cert results,however she has heard a person has gotten a place in the college through sport even tho they are 19 and failed a college year already

Did they still aplly through CAO or some was there a sports entry scheme?

Not that I'm in any way qualified to answer your question, but it sounds like that person transferred from another college. It's impossible for anyone here to say what did or did not happen without knowing the particulars. The MISU Office might know something, but they have no input into the admission of students into the college (AFAIK).

Worrying about speculative situations is probably only making your family member even more stressed. If this person was admitted separate to the CAO process it shouldn't in anyway affect your relative. Good luck to him/her on Wednesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

dambarude wrote: »
    Not that I'm in any way qualified to answer your question, but it sounds like that person transferred from another college. It's impossible for anyone here to say what did or did not happen without knowing the particulars. The MISU Office might know something, but they have no input into the admission of students into the college (AFAIK).

Worrying about speculative situations is probably only making your family member even more stressed. If this person was admitted separate to the CAO process it shouldn't in anyway affect your relative. Good luck to him/her on Wednesday.

Its not worrying them but they have heard people mention it a few times more very annoying because they have worked hard.And if the person failed 1st year of an I.T would they get a place in Mary i outside of the CAO places even if they are under 23

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    Hi
    Not in Mary i just asking a question for a family member
    They have applied to Mary i this year through CAO so waiting on leaving cert results,however she has heard a person has gotten a place in the college through sport even tho they are 19 and failed a college year already

Did they still aplly through CAO or some was there a sports entry scheme?

Hi there bigpink, it's the Mary I Students' Union here!

We checked up on this for you and we've been told by the college's Sports Officer that there is no such sports scholarship.

As you may know, the only students who can gain entry into the college without going through the CAO are mature students, who have to be aged 23 or above.

In regards to failing a year in one college and then transferring to MIC - if they've failed a year in another college they would have to reapply through the CAO to secure a place here in Mary I.

Hope this clears the situation up for you. Also, best of luck to your relative with their results tomorrow.

Advertisement