Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options
  • 02-07-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

After my Cork marathon log it's time for a more permanent one. A little background; I've been running for the last 16 years since u10 community games. I focused on sprinting, mostly 200m/400m's until about 5 years ago when i switched to road racing. Most of my PB's date back to 2006/2007, and i want to get back to and get ahead of that level. I acknowledge that it will take 12 months or so for that to happen, as nothing happens quickly in road running.

My PB's;

200m - 24.0 secs
    400m - 53.8 secs
    800m - 2'08, Dec 2006
    1 Mile - 5'00, Nov 2006
    5km - 18'15 in a training run in 2006, raced it sparingly.
    5 miles - 30'18, Sept 2006
    10km - none of note, Great Limerick Run 2010, 37'33 but 600m short.
    10 miles - 63'19, Jan 2007
    1/2 marathon - 1'28'31, Sept 2009
    Marathon (completed 4) - 3'22'08, Oct '09.

The aim for the coming year is to get back down to those levels, i know it won't be easy, the 10 mile PB seems like a chasm at the moment. I've entered the race series in the Phoenix Park, i expect to run 32, 67 and 1'29 for the 3 races, but i don't expect PB's until next summer. As regards this years DCM i will see after the half in September. I've fallen out of love somewhat with the marathon but i might find myself doing it anyway.

Since Cork i've been training away after a week off. Last 2 weeks; 17 miles (4,4,4,5) and 24 miles (6,4,6,8). I've introduced cycling to my training and i'll do that once a week. I know it will be a long road but i will get there in the end.

Mileage up to 28th June - 731 mls

This week - 28th June - 4th July;

Mon 3.5 mls in 31'17 (8'57), recovery run, felt fine.
    Tues, 2 hrs tennis.
    Weds, 6.25 mls in 49'20 (7'53) rain throughout but felt good.
    Thurs, 5mls easy in 42'30 (8'30)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck with the log. will follow with interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck woth the new long and even better luck woth future training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Friday, 2nd July - 5.25 mls in 40'05, interval session of 5 x 1/2 mile with 1/2 mile jog recovery. 1/2 mile times; 3'06, 3'11 (uphill), 2'55, 2'56, 2'57. Quite tired afterward but good session.

Sat, 3rd July. Rest day due to the sick amount of sport on tv, Tour de france, world cup, racing, gaa, wimbledon, diamond league from Oregon. A few bad memories recalled from my Rotterdam marathon experience during the tour de france prologue.

Sun 4th July - 10mls in 79'13 (7'55) over hilly terrain. Up to cratloe woods and back, climbed to 370 feet before coming back down. Heart rate went over 180 at one stage. Ran past thomond park on the way home and the bob dylan concert.

Week Total, 30 miles and 5 runs, happy enough with the week, intervals quite tough on Friday.

Yearly mileage to date; 761 mls.

• Advertisement

Mon 5th July - 5 mls easy/recovery run in 42'45 (8'33). Quite tired from yesterday. Heartrate in the 150's throughout, ok run. 40mins core work afterward. Need a rest day tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck with the log, just noticed most your pb's are very close to mine, although about 10 years more recient and you have a far better chance of breaking them. Will be keepin an eye on this log.

Tues 6th July, Tennis 2 1/2 hrs today, wrecked after it but no big deal.

Weds - Felt like i'd been hit by a truck this morning, resting HR = 70, not good. Rest day needed.

Thurs 8th July -
    Resting HR 43, much better. 6 mls in the phoenix park over most of the 5 mile race route for next weekend in 48'30 (8'06). Felt good throughout, hills not too bad, should be tough last 2 miles in the race though when i'll be (hopefully) going significantly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Brian,

Best of luck with the PBs and in particular the 5 mile - I'll keep an eye out for you. (I'm usually seeing double for a while after these short races...)

Fri 9th July, Randomly decided to go to chester races on the ferry, enforced rest day, lots of drinking and gambling. Got in 6am sat morning.

Sat 10th July, 6 mls easy down towards sandymount strand and back into town, felt wrecked from yesterday, 50'30. (8'25)

Between santry (nat. seniors) and wcup final will be difficult to sneak a run in tomorrow. I have 10 euro on holland at 12/1 to win it out so i'm going for them.

• Advertisement

Week Total, 16 mls. Unimpressive but life got in the way, it happens.
    Yearly mileage to date; 777 mls.

Mon 12th July, 6mls in 47'20 (7'53). Good run, felt fine after rest day.

Not gonna have too easy a week in the lead up to the 5 miler on saturday, i'm not gonna set a pb so i'll just train through it i think.

Tues 13th July, 5 ml progression run. 1.5mls at 8'30 pace, 2 mls at 7'50 pace and 1.5mls at 7'10 pace. Total 39'09 (7'50). Used the wave ryder 13 shoes i'm using on saturday in the 5 miler which are much lighter than my other training shoes. Felt good from the outset, strong finish, feeling good for saturday.

Weds 14th July, 4 mls easy in 34'10 (8'33), felt really easy tonight. Followed by 5 x 100m strides and 30 mins core.

Thurs and Friday, Both rest days. Was gonna go cycling but lashing rain and swamped by british open golf and tour de france so didnt fancy it, best to rest before saturday anyway probably.

Irish Runner 5 mile;

I'm surprisingly calm about tomorrow, no real nerves. I'm gonna head out relatively conservatively on the downhill (been reading Jo Paveys advice in runners world) but make sure i'm not behind a wall of slower runners, increase it then after the S bends, then run the last mile in 6 mins hopefully. Sub 32 mins would be the target but a pb (30'18) is out of the question. Not totally sure where i'm at fitness wise at the mo, my great limerick run has me in seasons best shape but my cork marathon run.............. well the less said about that the better.

Irish Runner 5 mile race report

Woke up around 8am feeling ok but not super. Arrived at the park around half 9 and did a mile or so warm up. I didnt seem to be in race mode for some reason but i reckoned it would disappear when the gun went. I lined up pretty close to the front (4 second deficit between chip time and actual) and started like a scared rabbit but at a pace which felt comfartable (ish). First mile in 5'46 (passed the 1 mile sign in 5'10 and .9 of a mile, at which stage i knew it was short), this was a little too fast. At this point robinph (a sub 29 min 5 miler) passed me and i knew i had gone off too fast. Second mile still holding it despite the hill in 6'26, but after the S bends i started to empty out. I was close to 7 min miling at this point and dying with half the race still left. I dug into my stamina reserves from all my marathon training and covered Mile 3 in 6'41 and mile 4 in 6'57. it was noticable though that those around me seemed to be suffering just as much, which gave me encouragement. The last mile wasn't too bad, it rarely is for me. Turining into the home straight i waited to unleash my trump card, my sprint finish, but held off until the last 100m. I hit 4'07 min miling speed at this point and passed about 10 runners. I stopped the clock in 31'24 and 4.87 miles. Equating to 32'30 for the full distance. I was happy enough with my run and i am pretty much at the same stage as i was last year, which is good given the 2 marathons i've done so far this year.

Sunday 18th July, I wanted to run today but i was baked after the race yesterday, stiff as a poker and generally wrecked, i find it nearly impossible to run the day after a race.

Week total 21 miles, Have to be happy with the week, race on saturday was good if not spectcular but i'm happy about where i'm at.

Miles so far this year; 798

Mon 19th July, 6 mls in 46'44 (7'48) Heartrate average was 168, too high, not recovered properly from saturday.

Tues 20th July; 4 mls recovery in 36'04 (9'01) Felt ok despite early fatigue. Heart rate average 148, happy with that.

Heard today that i have a job interview next week, the day before i go to barcelona for the europeans. My first job interview proper. Would be a big change working full time, especially to my running, lets see what happens.

Thurs 22nd July, 9 ml progression run in the Phoenix Park. 3 mls at easy pace (8'30), 3 mls at aerobic pace (7'45) and 3 mls at anaerobic pace (7'10).

Worked out my heart rate zones the other day.

Max HR = 195, RHR = 43-45.

Recovery Zone; 135-150 bpm
    Aerobic Zone; 150-165 bpm
    Anaerobic Zone; 165-180 bpm
    Red Zone; 180+

First 3 mls today in 25'40 (8'33), felt fine. Then next 3 mls in 23'21 (7'47), the last 'big' 3 in 7'02, 7'10 and 7'08 (7'06 average) Did those fast 3 mls on chesterfield avenue and hr got into the red on the way up the avenue over the last mile. Happy with the run.

Overall; 9 mls in 70'26 (7'49).

Fri 23rd July, 4 mls recovery untimed, good to run without a watch for a change and to not be looking at the garmin every 5 seconds. Off to deal in a poker tournament for the rest of the weekend, will be happy to get one more run in on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Don't lose money this weekend. A mate of mine recently lost out on 1400. EEK.

I'd say you can't wait for Barca?

ULstudent wrote: »
    Don't lose money this weekend. A mate of mine recently lost out on 1400. EEK.

I'd say you can't wait for Barca?

Did your mate get hold of his parents credit card or what? hope he didnt lose that much just lost out on the chance to win it. Its a life lesson at least.

No i'm dealing cards at the tournament, i'm a part time poker dealer brought in for the big tournaments, the job will pay for the barca trip, it will be 3 of the 10 days a year i actually work, all those years in trinity really paid off :rolleyes:

Yeah barca should be great, i havent been to a major athletics championships since Athens 2004. Only problem is the disruption to my training. With this dealing job, the barca trip and the my cousins wedding the weekend after, its gonna be tough to squeeze in runs. I might have to lower my frank duffy 10 sights a little (sub 68 instead of sub 67).

Mon 26th July, 4 mls easy untimed, Hr in recovery zone, tired from the weekend at the poker.

Tues 27th July, Job interview this morning went pretty well, fingers crossed and i'll know in 2 weeks or so. 6 mls today in 46'59 (7'50), general aerobic run, felt tired throughout after early morning today but ran ok.

Going to Barcelona tomorrow for the rest of the athletics, can't wait, should be great. I'll try and get 2 or 3 runs in over there but it could be tough.

• Advertisement

Thurs 29th July, 4.25 miles in Barcelona in 35´02, ran from my hotel up to the parc de cuitedella past the ramblas and the harbour. 3 laps in the park and back. Very hot, 32 degrees. Difficult run, not used to this heat. Slightly hungover from pints in the irish bar last night just made it tougher.

5.25 miles today in 41'30 around barcelona and the cuitedella park, 4 laps today, mostly at 7'55 pace, just as hot as yesterday, 31 degrees, but felt easier today. Saw a load of competitors from the championships running in the park. Gonna take tomorrow off, will probably be out tonight celebrating a medal from Gillick:)

Weds 11th August, 4 mls easy in 35 mins approx (my garmin is dead).

I havent updated this in weeks, been really busy, i will insert the last 2 weeks training when i get home to limerick and get my garmin back to life.

Sun 1st Aug, 4 mls easy enough again in the park in Barcelona, 33'12, getting used to the heat now but still still hungover from celebrating derval's silver the night before. Hangovers in the heat are twice as bad!

Week total, 24 miles and 5 runs, not bad considering the holiday and the heat.

Tues 3rd August, 5.25 miles in 40'38 (7'44) on same Barca route as always.

Weds 4th Aug, 5 mls in 39 mins (7'48), farewell to Barcelona, i might be back in March for the marathon.

Thurs 5th Aug, 6 mls back in Ireland :mad: in 46'18 (7'43). Nice and cool if nothing else.

Sun 8th August, 6.75 miles in 57'28 (8'31), Easy run, tired from my cousins wedding in Mayo all weekend.

Week total, 23 miles and 4 runs, busy week again and happy enough.

Mon 9th August
    , 11 mls in the Phoenix park in 1'25'55 (7'49) mostly over the Frank Duffy 10 mile route. Very tough on the upper glen road, its gonna be tough there next Saturday.

Weds 11th August
    , 4mls easy in 35 as in prev post, also 40 mins core afterwards.

Thurs 12th August, 5mls in 38 mins (7'36) down to Ringsend park (3 laps) and back, good fast run.

Sat 14th Aug, Intervals 5 x 1km with 500m recovery. Times 3'48, 3'46, 3'46, 3'46, 3'43. 1 mile w/u and w/d. Jog recovery approx 3 mins in between. Excellent session, i can reduce the recovery times over the next few weeks. Total 6.7 miles.

Sun 15th August, 31 km cycling in 73 mins. Nice day for it.

Week total, 26.7 miles with 4 runs and 1 cycle. Good week, feeling ok about 67-68 ish min run next Saturday in the phx park 10 miler.

Years mileage to date, 674.7 mls

Rest day today, felt like crap upon waking up, a bit like a cancer patient i would think, still wrecked later in the day. Its one of those days i think i should go for a blood test, it happens now and again. Possibly went too hard on the cycle into the headwind yesterday and not fully recovered from the intervals saturday. Gonna take this week handy enough, 2 or 3 handy runs before the Frank Duffy on saturday.

Weds 18th August, 6 mls easy enough in 49'47 (8'18). Felt a little shaky the first 2 mls but ok after, back on track for next Saturday morning.

Thurs 19th Aug, 4 mls easy in apocalyptic conditions in clontarf. A mixture between a wind tunnel and a carwash it felt like. 35'31 in the end (8'54) hell on earth, didnt see one other runner out. They're all wimps! Thats it now until Saturday morning.

Frank Duffy 10 preview;

Target is for sub 67 tomorrow and it looks achievable given the easier course than last year when i ran 68'45. I'm slightly ahead of last year i think so we'll see what happens. Dont want to ruin my chnces by blazing off like i did in the 5 miler. Sub 7 for the first 3 then let loose to 6'30's on chesterfield avenue then hold on up the dreaded upper glen road. The last mile will sort itself out then.

• Advertisement

Frank Duffy 10 mile race report;

251st in 67'38 (6'43) chip time.

After a 5 min warm up i lined up near the front as i always do, i hate congestion. Started off relatively conservatively, 6'30 ish on the downhill. Started passing a fair few then who clearly went off too fast, it was gonna be along day for them in this sunshine. Tipped away with 6'30's and 6'40's and passed halfway in 33 roughly. Pushed on down chesterfield avenue until the dreaded military road uphill where i flattened out. I was hanging on from there to the finish, absolutely wrecked last mile but managed my usual sprint finish to collar 3 runners on the line.

Garmin link;

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45530564

Overall i'm satisfied with the run, a minute ahead of last year, as most seemed to underperform. The heat was fine due to the runs i got in in Barca. Its still over 4 mins off my PB which puts things in perspective. i gotta do some more speedwork and longer runs before the half in 4 weeks. The one race where i might get a PB 1'28'31, probably cause i didnt run it 3-4 years ago :rolleyes:.

As regards the DCM, yesterday would put me off. Not saying no yet but i felt cramps in my leg at the finish, and the stamina was waning at the end. I'll decide after the half.

Advertisement