Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

hal9000 wrote: »
    has anyone tried loading up the new desire rom on their n1?

Yeah i did. It's not really ready for prime time. There is a lot of graphical glitches and the Flash was poor too. Give it time though, as i would love to run it once it has been perfected. Back on cyanogen's rom for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

I've been considering getting the Nexus One for a while now and have been doing a bit of pricing. I've got family in both the U.S. and england so I could get it through either of them. Assuming I'd get hit with VAT/import duty if I ordered it through my U.S. relatives, the difference in cost would be negligible compared to the cost of the UK version and I'd at least get the correct charger if I did. So I was just wondering how many of you who ordered it from the U.S. through family/friends/mail-forwarding got caught for VAT??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think english orders have to pay VAT et al. As regardless of which 'market' you order from, it's shipped from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Orders to the UK are sent through DHL so there's no chance of getting away with the VAT, I've already taken that into account in terms of the cost. I was just hoping that by getting it through my family in the states that when they send it on to me there might be less of a chance that I'd get hit with VAT. This however all depends on which courier service you send it with. DHL/UPS/TNT/ and probably FEDEX too will certainly charge for the VAT but I've noticed when sent through national postal servics, (i.e. it's An Post that will eventually deliver it to your door), you might get lucky and avoid the charge. Well that's the way it was a few years ago, haven't got anything delivered recently from outside the EU with anyone else other than a high end courier.

Also just a quick question when ordering the 3-pin charger along with the phone do you need a british ip address for it to appear and be an option. I used Hotspot Shield and there didn't seem to be an option to add it to the cart when I did a test run on ordering the phone through google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What are my options on getting the phone replaced? The phone has developed a creak and the screen is also tinted red. I might go into Google @ Grand Canal Dock and see if I can compare someone else's Nexus One's screen to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Hold the phone... (sorry)... This marvelous object of desire has no FM radio?!

I'm in shock, but through my shock I want to ask if anyone who has the phone in Ireland has been able to update to multi-touch (not Dolphin, the actual Google update)? I'm getting lost in the thread and end up drooling over links to comparison photos...

Nope, no FAX machine either, imagine that!

Yes plenty of us have the ERE27 update, it's quite easy to do manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah I got the notification (and installed it) for the multi-touch update so it does work over here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slim410

if the gogle updte that supports multitouch wasnt released to ireland u can just get cyanogens rom it has it....but i dunno

damn i thought id be the only one with a nexus one in ireland :(:(:(:(:(
    ****in boards.ie and its ****in forums :@ haha :D

anyway my nexus is on the way to me and i just wanted to know if there are any problems at all with using a nexus in ireland......like apart from not getting paid apps in the market....

also what 3G data plan u on...cant find a cheap one

souuuuund!!!! love yez all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

slim410 wrote: »
    damn i thought id be the only one with a nexus one in ireland :(:(:(:(:(
    ****in boards.ie and its ****in forums :@ haha :D

anyway my nexus is on the way to me and i just wanted to know if there are any problems at all with using a nexus in ireland......like apart from not getting paid apps in the market....

souuuuund!!!! love yez all :D

Phone works perfectly,i've had no issues with it whatsoever.

I'm on 3 billpay,i've a 1g add-on that's €9.99 per month. I only use 3g when i'm out,i have the phone on WiFi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm on O2 and have the 10gb plan but I've only used 362.76M since the 1st so its looking like 1gb is absolutely plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

marymc wrote: »

And I bet it has no cigarette lighter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

marymc wrote: »

I'm in shock, but through my shock I want to ask if anyone who has the phone in Ireland has been able to update to multi-touch (not Dolphin, the actual Google update)? I'm getting lost in the thread and end up drooling over links to comparison photos...

it actually has both an FM receiver AND a transmitter.
    unfortunately though there are no drivers at this stage. this should change soon, seen as the Desire has same hardware and working FM radio as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

So I got my Nexus One in Barcelona last week! I was one of the lucky few whom Google decided should get one for free at one of the Developer conferences which was totally cool!:D

So now I have the gleaming gadget in my hands and I'm trying to figure it out as I go and having fun doing that. The battery life isn't as great as I thought it would be but then again I have been playing with it alot so as I get used to having it I reckon the battery will last longer and longer.

I've a couple of questions though. I'm wondering (even though I have a Google checkout account) why I can't see paid apps in the market place? I'm also wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good apps for downloading and I'm also wondering if anyone can figure how to screen grab? I really don't think you can without an app - like CaptureMe on the BB - but if anyone knows how or knows of an app that can do it then I'd appreciate a share!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Paid apps arent available in Ireland atm, but there is a work around, I think its mentioned earlier in the thread how to do it. You should find a list of great apps in this or the hero thread.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm on 3 billpay,i've a 1g add-on that's €9.99 per month. I only use 3g when i'm out,i have the phone on WiFi at home.

class yeah i just bought a 3pay sim card and was getting the 1GB add-on aswel but i went home (Ratoath, Co.Meath) and there was absolutely NO bars of 3G and only 5 out of 7 bars of 2G....like wtf!!

i had meteor before that and they gave me full bars of 3G and 2G, even in meath.....so i really dont know now...then again the 3G works perfectly outdoors and in dublin (where i am like 90% of the week)....and i have wifi at home so i dont really need 3G at home...meteor have a 10GB add-on for €14.99! thats mad. also with my age group everyone is meteor so everyone texts each other for free so if i stay on 3 the birds wont text me because it costs money hahaha :D thats a concern :D

u think i should go back to meteor?

anyway man do u have anyway to make reception better or is it great in your area? ANYONE got a DIY way to increase network coverage?

class yeah i just bought a 3pay sim card and was getting the 1GB add-on aswel but i went home (Ratoath, Co.Meath) and there was absolutely NO bars of 3G and only 5 out of 7 bars of 2G....like wtf!!

i had meteor before that and they gave me full bars of 3G and 2G, even in meath.....so i really dont know now...then again the 3G works perfectly outdoors and in dublin (where i am like 90% of the week)....and i have wifi at home so i dont really need 3G at home...meteor have a 10GB add-on for €14.99! thats mad. also with my age group everyone is meteor so everyone texts each other for free so if i stay on 3 the birds wont text me because it costs money hahaha :D thats a concern :D

u think i should go back to meteor?

anyway man do u have anyway to make reception better or is it great in your area? ANYONE got a DIY way to increase network coverage?

My 3g reception on 3 is pretty good,no complaints. I use my phone mainly in the Dublin area so i can't vouch for their coverage outside of Dublin.

It's a matter of opinion as to who you want to set up with. 3 would be grand if you'll be in Dublin a lot and if you've WiFi at home but if i was you i'd try out all the networks and see who has the best coverage in your area. It'd be no harm to have a decent 3g signal at home in case your internet connection goes down at home,at least you'd have some form of access via your phone.

My 3g reception on 3 is pretty good,no complaints. I use my phone mainly in the Dublin area so i can't vouch for their coverage outside of Dublin.

It's a matter of opinion as to who you want to set up with. 3 would be grand if you'll be in Dublin a lot and if you've WiFi at home but if i was you i'd try out all the networks and see who has the best coverage in your area. It'd be no harm to have a decent 3g signal at home in case your internet connection goes down at home,at least you'd have some form of access via your phone.

thanks man i appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

Ok so that is pretty laughable that you can't get paid apps in Ireland considering that the EMEA headquarters for Google are on Barrow St in Dublin 2.

Having said that I am having alot of fun with my new toy.

how long did ur nexus take to arrive from the states??

EVERYONE ANSWER! lol

sound :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Baza210 wrote: »

Downloading as I type, what can this do that Google Maps can't?

PH4T wrote: »
    Downloading as I type, what can this do that Google Maps can't?

It's very slick on the Nexus,i've found it very quick. The main difference to the maps is the ability to literally zoom around the globe and zoom in on anywhere in the world that takes your fancy. It's a lot quicker than maps.

In saying that,Google could do with updating Google Earth over Ireland,large parts of it still aren't covered very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

For anyone wanting a free UK SIM for accessing paid apps on market place I got one from http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/uk-free-sim/ - used BT1 1AA for post code and just filled my address in Dublin into rest of fields. BT1 1AA is post code for main royal mail sorting office in Belfast - it got there, they presumably saw Dublin address and bounced it on to An Post.

Tried the SIM in a Tattoo a while ago and could see all the paid apps in market place that I couldn't using a vodafone (Ireland) SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

It's very slick on the Nexus,i've found it very quick. The main difference to the maps is the ability to literally zoom around the globe and zoom in on anywhere in the world that takes your fancy. It's a lot quicker than maps.

In saying that,Google could do with updating Google Earth over Ireland,large parts of it still aren't covered very well.

I have it on my Milestone and I found Dublin anyway to be very detailed - I found my dad sunbathing in his y-fronts!

The quality and clarity seems to be much better than on the PC too because of the hi-res screens on the phones.

I have it on my Milestone and I found Dublin anyway to be very detailed - I found my dad sunbathing in his y-fronts!

The quality and clarity seems to be much better than on the PC too because of the hi-res screens on the phones.

My area in Lucan is just outside the hi-res images,it's like it's covered in a fog!! Been like that for about 3 years now.

I agree on it looking better on the phone than desktop,was messing with it this morning and the clarity is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

My area in Lucan is just outside the hi-res images,it's like it's covered in a fog!! Been like that for about 3 years now.

I agree on it looking better on the phone than desktop,was messing with it this morning and the clarity is amazing!

Try typing (or speaking) mount everest, zoom in a good bit, and then use the "free look" around. It looks brilliant. If you angle your "free view" e.g down the mountain into a valley, and then do pinch zoom, you can actually travel along through all the mountains.

Swype is absolutely amazing, everyone go and get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Baza210 wrote: »
    Swype is absolutely amazing, everyone go and get it.

Works a charm so far. Brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Advertisement