Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Target Weight

Options
  • 17-12-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Alot of talk on here over the past few weeks of dropping weight for various reasons in the coming year... so who is willing to throw numbers up here? A challenge if you will.

Me

Goal Weight: 67kg
    Goal Date/Reason: April 2009, first A priority race
    Current Weight: 73kg
    Height: 178cm

Aiming for 70kg by the end of my base period, about 6 weeks away and the rest or as much of it as possible in the final 2 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Stick height up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

why not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

My goal for 2009 was 85kg. Currently 86.1 and should be able to get to 85 by the end of the year. A drop of 17kg thanks to cycling :)

Goal Weight: 77kg
    Goal Date/Reason: Middle June 2010. Marmotte
    Current Weight: 86.1kg

edit: Height 6ft

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Goal racing season with Vets and as A4 hoping to get A3 also just too fat last few years :o

Goal weight 76kgs
    Weight Sept 88kgs
    Weight today 80kgs

Height 5ft 10

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Right here goes my target weight is 85kg.

Height 175cm 5'10
    Started 2009 at 120kg.

current weight is 105kg

so i want to be at 85kg by the Wicklow 200 in June 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Height: 182cm
    Current Weight: 69-70kg
    Goal Weight: 66kg for the TdF
    Reason: empathy with Sir B. Wiggins, hill TTs

Managed 66kg for a bit last summer, then backed off for domestic reasons. Currently putting on a bit of muscle (a likely story).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

How does one determine one's optimum weight for racing?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why the hell not - another target to set myself in a public forum, thereby incentivising myself to achieve!

Weight early 2007 - about 125kg
    Weight late 2008 - about 95kg
    Weight now - 95kg
    Target weight for WW200 2010 - 92kg
    Height 187cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

March 2008 ; 111kg
    Now 93kg
    Goal; 80kg
    Ht 5ft 8in

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »

By working out your body fat percentage. Too little and you'll be bonking all the time and getting sick, too much and you'll be dragging it up the hills.

• Advertisement

Stop when you look like Skeletor.

Oh, wait...

Lumen wrote: »
    Stop when you look like Skeletor.

Oh, wait...

I'm 70kg, don-cha-no

el tonto wrote: »
    By working out your body fat percentage. Too little and you'll be bonking all the time and getting sick, too much and you'll be dragging it up the hills.

DXA ftw. Aside from the accuracy, there's a small chance that the x-rays could turn you into a mutant superhero.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think we can all safely say that Raam is at his racing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm currently 75kg at 6ft. If I lose about the same amount of weight as I did last year that would put me at around 69-70kg for the Marmotte. Not sure if that might be pushing it though. Not too fussed anyway I will just see how it goes.

I think we can all safely say that Raam is at his racing weight.

I think it dropped to 65 or 66 during the summer. That was just by virtue of doing training and club league racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm trying to pick a target for the big M. I'm very nearly the same height as Lumen and if he can get to 66kg I don't see why I can get to 67 or 68. I'm about 74kg atm, but I have some fat on me that I could stand to lose...

It has to depend on the type of racing doesn't it? If two riders who both produce, say, 4.5 watts/kg but are different weights race on a flat course it's likely that the heavier rider will win. If they race on a hilly course the lighter one will win. I'm assuming both riders have roughly the same drag here, and grossly simplifying things but it makes sense to me... I've no idea how to find the right weight for irish racing though...

Or am I completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

As beasty said....why not, another way to humiliate yourself on a public forum.

July 2009 - 90kg
    Dec 2009 - 97kg
    1st June 2010 - 90kg

Height - 198cm

I should probably be putting on weight ;)

I think it dropped to 65 or 66 during the summer. That was just by virtue of doing training and club league racing.

Four or five kilos isn't much though. I think I've lost that in less than a fortnight at times.

Four or five kilos isn't much though. I think I've lost that in less than a fortnight at times.

Depends on the starting point though doesn't it.

• Advertisement

A haircut and a dump?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ideally it should be a measure of lean body mass, body fat percentage all checked in conjunction with exercise testing.
    Thats not realistice for most mere mortals but BMI is a simple calcualtion. It's weight (in kgs) divided by height (in metre's) squared.
    For general health

BMI Categories:
    • Underweight = <18.5
    • Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    • Overweight = 25-29.9
    • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
    But most pro cyclists are between 21 and 22.5 the higher tend to be classic's riders or sprinters and lighter climbers.
    Sean Kelly as I recall was 21.9 for most of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm at 78kg and am 185cm. Using that BMI calculator i want to be at about 73kg come May/June. Last time i had my bodyfat % was in May and it was 12.5% then. I was told it was low in general population terms but on the upper side for an endurance athlete (told 6 - 13 is a triathlete's range with the lower being the better so aiming at getting much lower next year)

Bambaata wrote: »
    I was told it was low in general population terms

The general population are fat, and getting fatter. If that makes them happy I'm all for it, but I think that anyone remotely fit should be putting ideas about what's "normal" to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

ohh, go on then...

Weight early 2009 - about 115kg
    Weight at end of 2009 club league- about 82kg
    Weight now - 85kg
    Target weight for March 78kg
    Target weight for June 75kg

Height 187cm

Don't think I want to go below 75kg, let's see

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

march 2009 112kg

now 105kg

summer 2010 would like to be 90kg but dont know if i have the willpower to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

61.5kg, 173cm...is it all right if I start taking some of the weight off the bike now?

rottenhat wrote: »
    61.5kg, 173cm...is it all right if I start taking some of the weight off the bike now?

:eek:
    NO!! Given your current weight I'm thinking you might need to put some more stuff in that saddlebag. I suggest food.

rottenhat wrote: »

You need one of these

kebab.jpg

Extra garlic sauce and chips optional !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

niceonetom wrote: »
    I'm trying to pick a target for the big M. I'm very nearly the same height as Lumen and if he can get to 66kg I don't see why I can get to 67 or 68. I'm about 74kg atm, but I have some fat on me that I could stand to lose...

It is based on your muscle mass. When I started back cycling last year, if I had dropped to 10% body fat and kept all my muscle, I'd have been 180lbs/82kg. Had to let some of it go to be able drop the weight down to something more manageable for cycling.

Advertisement