Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

glhoran121 wrote: »
    whats happening in templemore on the 18/19 april ??????

New intake I believe,

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Hacknabush wrote: »
    New intake I believe,

yessiree:)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

lehanemore wrote: »
    yessiree:)

You heading down then too ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

To anybody passed phase 3 stage - do you know if we need to fill out those diary's they gave us or if it is at our own discretion?

CO19 wrote: »
    You heading down then too ? :)

it's up for me but yes:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

lehanemore wrote: »
    it's up for me but yes:cool:

Ah brilliant ! I'll see you there so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

Dont think I have posted a question in here before....

I'm starting as a student in the college in May and one or two people have asked me lately about the GR as they presume I know. One of the questions was about payment. Now I originally applied and passed my interview for the GR, before my AGS application started rolling, and I remember reading something somewhere about there being some sort of " expense " payment or something for GR but not a regular payment as at the end of the day its voluntary.

Can't fund where I read it but it would be great if a current GR or someone in training could clarify that for me.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

D22 wrote: »
    Dont think I have posted a question in here before....

I'm starting as a student in the college in May and one or two people have asked me lately about the GR as they presume I know. One of the questions was about payment. Now I originally applied and passed my interview for the GR, before my AGS application started rolling, and I remember reading something somewhere about there being some sort of " expense " payment or something for GR but not a regular payment as at the end of the day its voluntary.

Can't fund where I read it but it would be great if a current GR or someone in training could clarify that for me.

Thanks.

i may be wrong but, on the podcast linked below the super refers to a nominal payment of €1000 if 208 hours or more are given. check out the link below and it will clarify. hope this helps:)
    thestig06 wrote: »
    That podcast is available also on Itunes, just go to the RTE page and click on Ryan Tubridy show . it should be top of the list...
    About 18mins , interviewing three GR's all non irish, v interesting

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=52788169&id=204724560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

Your right about the payment, it's once a year for out of pocket expenses, more like a gesture than anything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

Thanks lads, I'll have a listen and forward that onto him. Thats along the lines of what I was saying anyway but couldnt find it then afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

Abed wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on boards. However I have been a regular reader of this thread since I applied to join the Garda Reserve back in early 2007.

I did the interview/report back in February, filled the GR form and sent it in March and met the local sergeant last week.

I wonder how long would it take to meet the superintendent? and how do they contact you? is it by phone?

Also does anyone know about the coming intakes? it seems I would not be going to Templemore very soon ( Interview with Superintendent, medical and of course background checks)

Thanks a million

I know there is a course starting on the 18th April. Maybe they have you shortlisted for this and wikll speed up the interview with the Super. Maybe give HRM in the park a call and they should be able to let you know. It is a long time since early 2007 but between I applied in 2006 and when I started in 2008 was about the lenght of time it has taken for you. Others seem to be lucky that the don't wait so long

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Thanks a mill for that. However, I really think my application will be particularly delayed at the background check process, my family is scattered all over the globe (Canada, Australia, France and yes the Middle Eastrolleyes.gif). No worries though I'm well used to the patience game

The other thing I'm worried about is the state of my teeth (couple of crowns) I wonder how strict is the medical test re: teeth? I heard even from the full-timers thread that in many cases they don't ask you to open your mouth at all! does anyone have something to say on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Abed wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that. However, I really think my application will be particularly delayed at the background check process, my family is scattered all over the globe (Canada, Australia, France and yes the Middle Eastrolleyes.gif). No worries though I'm well used to the patience game

The other thing I'm worried about is the state of my teeth (couple of crowns) I wonder how strict is the medical test re: teeth? I heard even from the full-timers thread that in many cases they don't ask you to open your mouth at all! does anyone have something to say on that

Don't check your teeth for the Reserve, they only do that for the full time med (sometimes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

So how is this moratorium going to affect reserve training in Templemore?

So how is this moratorium going to affect reserve training in Templemore?

well actually, for a while there my intake was supposed to start training on weekdays at the college, think it was because OT was being axed for instructors at the weekends..

there was a last minute reprieve but wouldn't that have been fun:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

How long does th training take place in Templemore. Are you all exempt for time off from college/work to attend training. Are you taking annual leave from work. I work in the Civil Service so I have to find out if I do get to go down eventaully that I willr receive special leave. I was in the FCA for 2 years and this was granted when we attended camp twice a year.

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

How long does th training take place in Templemore. Are you all exempt for time off from college/work to attend training. Are you taking annual leave from work. I work in the Civil Service so I have to find out if I do get to go down eventaully that I willr receive special leave. I was in the FCA for 2 years and this was granted when we attended camp twice a year.

Ah the Free Clothes Association (FCA), I miss being in that:pac:

It's done over two weekends (Saturday and Sunday), and then a few evenings in your local station. No leave required

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cheers Murphy. Yeh I miss the training camps. Good laugh they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

Just a question on this...where does Phase 2 training usually take place? It says it can take place on weekends or evenings, if its evenings then templemore would be out, would it be a nominated local station in that case?? Who gives the training if its not in templemore??

• Advertisement

sf94 wrote: »
    Just a question on this...where does Phase 2 training usually take place? It says it can take place on weekends or evenings, if its evenings then templemore would be out, would it be a nominated local station in that case?? Who gives the training if its not in templemore??

Done locally, certain stations do it for a particular county.

sf94 wrote: »

I Concure with Murphy.. Ten 4...:cool:

What do yeah think of that web site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

I Concure with Murphy.. Ten 4...:cool:

What do yeah think of that web site?

Yeah it's pretty good for info....especially the bit that lays out exactly what powers reserves have. I've checked it out a few times already in the application process!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Hey i will begin training next week

just a few questions regarding starting

Are we giving uniforms for training or does that come at a later stage and if so what stage.

Also how fast do each training stage begin after complting a stage??

And one more question does the hours you begin with the reserves start the mintute you start your first stage introduction ???

Regarding this how many hours is it again you have to complte to recive your payment and how much is it.

sorry for all the questions just trying to be as organised as i can for when i begin my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Hey i will begin training next week

just a few questions regarding starting

Are we giving uniforms for training or does that come at a later stage and if so what stage.
    Uniforms are handed out at the start of phase 3 (the second weekend)
    Also how fast do each training stage begin after complting a stage??
    Phase 2 will probably start a day or two after you get back from Phase 1
    And one more question does the hours you begin with the reserves start the mintute you start your first stage introduction ???
    Yes
    Regarding this how many hours is it again you have to complte to recive your payment and how much is it.
    208 hours in a year and the payment is eur1000
    sorry for all the questions just trying to be as organised as i can for when i begin my training.

No problem - enjoy the weekend!

Thats an interesting document...according to it, the reserves have powers under the public order act but we've been told during our training that we do not have any specific powers under that act.

I guess that document is a bit out of date...

stiofanD wrote: »
    Thats an interesting document...according to it, the reserves have powers under the public order act but we've been told during our training that we do not have any specific powers under that act.

I guess that document is a bit out of date...

If that's the case, your right...

I dont Won't to mess with a Reserve - Sorry Sir...:eek:

Have a good weekend..

McJ.

Not a reserve yet! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Does anyone know when the next intake is after April? Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

o ya its not really the reserve im worried about as i would stay in my full time job its if i decided to go on to train as a full time guard

Advertisement