Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

freddiew wrote: »
    Just not true, I can only speak for the Reserves and recruitment is NOT on hold. I was at a meeting tonight for all reserves in the DMR and C.S. Fitzgerald said they were doing heavy advertising in the country as they need more country people to apply. C.S. Fitzgerald with be on "Mooney" RTE 1 Radio Wednesday afternoon(today)

Mooney is on from 15:00 to 16:30 today.:cool:

lehanemore wrote: »
    Mooney is on from 15:00 to 16:30 today.:cool:

Ten minutes squeezed in at the end of the programme, Mooney spent a lot of time talking with the Chief Super about women in the Gardai and how many have gone up through the ranks etc

then an interview with a 60 year old grandmother from Killkenny that is in the reserves

the Chief Super said the medical for the reserves is not as strict as it is for the regulars, two weeks after the doctor at HQ told me it was exactly the same...

she also confirmed that only 20 out of every 1000 applicants were gettong through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Ten minutes squeezed in at the end of the programme, Mooney spent a lot of time talking with the Chief Super about women in the Gardai and how many have gone up through the ranks etc

then an interview with a 60 year old grandmother from Killkenny that is in the reserves

the Chief Super said the medical for the reserves is not as strict as it is for the regulars, two weeks after the doctor at HQ told me it was exactly the same...

she also confirmed that only 20 out of every 1000 applicants were gettong through.

why the miserable success rate? are there just too many people applying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

I have done the medical for both the Reserves and Regulars and as far as I can see, they are actually the same.

I have done the medical for both the Reserves and Regulars and as far as I can see, they are actually the same.

I have no doubt that it is the same, I think she was trying to encourage people to apply by making it sound easier than it actually is.

There was nothing easy about the medical the day I did it, the two before me failed, two big lads, strong looking feckers too, both had BMI over 30 so back to the start again.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt that it is the same, I think she was trying to encourage people to apply by making it sound easier than it actually is.

There was nothing easy about the medical the day I did it, the two before me failed, two big lads, strong looking feckers too, both had BMI over 30 so back to the start again.

O ya, the BMI system is a very unfair way of doing it. If you are anyway built you fail, doesn't take into account muscle mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I must admit I was quite disappointed with the interview as well, as after all the bad press we received last week, surely this interview was a chance to set the record straight, and where the Reserve goes from here. In saying that surely the producers of the show could have set aside more than 10 mins to interview the CS, as 5 mins was take up interviewing the Reserve in Kilkenny, and 3 or 4 mins talking about women in AGS, which did not leave much time for the CS to talk about the Reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

I think what the CS was really alluding to here is the extra obstacle circuit training thing they do in Templemore which is timed.This element we Reserves do not have to do.

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    I think what the CS was really alluding to here is the extra obstacle circuit training thing they do in Templemore which is timed.This element we Reserves do not have to do.

I got the impression she meant the PCT too but she didn't expand on it enough to make that clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sallies23

DubNorth wrote: »
    Sallies23 - I am a member of the reserves and am hoping to go away for a year later on in the year, did you find out if we can rejoin?

Hi DubNorth

I enquired with the Garda HRM office about taking a year off from the reserves and they said that they didn't see a problem with it but it would be up to the station that you were in.

I failed the medical for the Reserves so I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore. Very disappointed, was really looking forward to joining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grandslam

Hi, thinking of applying, have a friend who is in city centre station, says some reg force mambers are great, but has an underlying feeling of never being fully integtated, also lack of powers frustrating him, any thoughts elsewhere ?
    Thanks.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

grandslam wrote: »
    Hi, thinking of applying, have a friend who is in city centre station, says some reg force mambers are great, but has an underlying feeling of never being fully integtated, also lack of powers frustrating him, any thoughts elsewhere ?
    Thanks.:confused:

Please don't let that deter you from applying. From my experience you will encounter more good people than bad.As in every organisation there will be a few bad eggs.I too have encountered people who would rather I wasnt there ,but hey that is there problem as far as I concerned.
    Treat others like you would like to be treated yourself and you will never go far wrong.
    I personally go out of my way to be nice to the begrudgers at least they can never say I dont try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

Thats the best advice you can give .Keep the head down and dont get disheartened . 95% are great to deal with . The other 5% you just have to live with .As regards the expenses there is a hold up at the moment . Something to do with taxation issues i am told .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

Do any of ye know the answer to this question?

When the Garda reserve force was proposed originally a few years, the AGS was totally against it (if I remember correctly) and then after some time they agreed to go with it... does anybody know the reasons why they were originally against it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

because they didnt want the reserves to replace full time members like the specials do in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Nick85 wrote: »
    Do any of ye know the answer to this question?

When the Garda reserve force was proposed originally a few years, the AGS was totally against it (if I remember correctly) and then after some time they agreed to go with it... does anybody know the reasons why they were originally against it?

The GRA were against it.. not AGS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

There are three members of the GR being interviewed on Radio 1 (Tubridy show) right NOW!

stiofanD wrote: »
    There are three members of the GR being interviewed on Radio 1 (Tubridy show) right NOW!

http://www.rte.ie/radio/podcast/radio1.html

down near the bottom of the page, podcasted.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

That podcast is available also on Itunes, just go to the RTE page and click on Ryan Tubridy show . it should be top of the list...
    About 18mins , interviewing three GR's all non irish, v interesting

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=52788169&id=204724560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I was in the cinema on Sunday and they played the advert for the Garda Reserve. I'd be very surprised if they spent that money on advertising for no good reason.

• Advertisement

i-digress wrote: »
    I was in the cinema on Sunday and they played the advert for the Garda Reserve. I'd be very surprised if they spent that money on advertising for no good reason.

That was probably paid in advance. This whole public sector freeze was only announced last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

my friend rang them and asked that question about the cutback in the Garda reserves and was told no cutbacks to GR

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Hi Folks,

A member of the Garda Reserve has, in theory, the power to arrest for offences subject to the Public Order Act 1994 as per legislation (statutory instrument Garda Síochána (Reserve Members) Regulations 2006 of the parent legistlation Garda Siochana Act 2005). I attached below the provisions concerned. However, as you can see from the wording it is quite open to the Commissioner to determine which powers are given to the Reserves at a certain point of time. At the moment it is a matter of Public Policy not to extend the powers of the Reserves to offences under the Public Order Act 1994. I'm certain that this will change soon considering the predicted reliance on reserve members follwing the recruitment embargo till 2011.

"The Garda Commissioner has also initially determined that the powers of reserve members will be confined to the enforcement of certain aspects of the following Acts: under the Road Traffic Acts - demanding driving licences and insurance details, enforcing the wearing of seat belts etcunder the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication, threatening behaviour, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with the direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; and under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act – dealing with the offences of theft and burglary. Reserve members will also be given the power of arrest under the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for both members of the Garda Síochána and civilian"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Ok here it is step by step.

I applied by phone in Sep 06. They sent me out an application for which i completed and returned.
    (Oct 06) A few weeks later I was called for an interview and a written exam. The interview was about 1/2 hour and I was interviewed by a public servant and a Superintendent of some sort. The interview was along the theme of "challenges" and "what would you bring to the Gardai", "Why do you want to join the reserve", "would you or have you ever considered joining the full time Gardai", alot about challenges in your own job and what type of challenges have you encountered and how u overcame those challenges. They also asked about any other community involvement and volunteer work.

(Nov 06) I was then sent an e-mail with a form GR2 (background check) which takes ages to fill out. You have to give the details of all your family members including aunties & uncles. You also have to give your PPS number and all the addresses where you lived and all previous employment details aswell as 2 written references.

(Dec 06) They send you a medical cert asking about illnesses and any allergies. You also have to make an appointment to go for a medical in HQ in phoenix park. This will take up a full morning. The medical is very straight forward, if you're in an shape at all you'll pass. They check eyes, ears, heart, urine, blood pressure, weight, height and then they grab your balls and say cough (seriously).

(Jan 07) I was called in for another interview in the local Garda station with the Sergeant. It's more of an informal chat "ever in trouble with the gards" ask about friends family etc. He just tries to get a feel for what type of person you are.

Jan 07 Called in for another interview with the superintendent, not as informal as previous interview but throws a few tricky questions at you "what would you do if u felt a Garda wasn't acting appropriately and what procedures would you follow"?

Feb 07 I got a call from HR to say that I can expect to b called up in early March 07

However, as of today I have not received any formal notification that I have been accepted.

Steyr, what does RDF mean?
    thats pure stupidity, they are practically making you go through the process of a proper guard only your doing it for free and cant make arrests or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

thats pure stupidity, they are practically making you go through the process of a proper guard only your doing it for free and cant make arrests or anything.

And rightfully so as they have part access to pulse and will one day be assisting full time members!! I want to know i can trust the reserve beside me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

And rightfully so as they have part access to pulse and will one day be assisting full time members!! I want to know i can trust the reserve beside me!!!

Well thats what it is all about supporting the full time members, As I say when I'm out 'Tell me what you want me to do , I'm here to support you';)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hacknabush wrote: »
    Well thats what it is all about supporting the full time members, As I say when I'm out 'Tell me what you want me to do , I'm here to support you';)

Good man nothing like a guy with a head on his shoulder. We have got some lamps as reserves but we also have a whole lot who are great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

It would maybe be better to tell the Reserve from day 1 when they are out with a full time member what they expect from them then maybe as you it would be better that way

As you say you have some lamps maybe if they had been told from day 1 what is expected from them there might not be any its all a learning curve as we learn every day of our life ;) as no 2 days will ever be the same

No walk in the park seeing as there's only 470 after getting through from 22,000 applications to date.

But like Niceguy said, GRs will have some access to PULSE and will be assisting to some degree on the job, it's not boyscouts like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

No walk in the park seeing as there's only 470 after getting through from 22,000 applications to date.

But like Niceguy said, GRs will have some access to PULSE and will be assisting to some degree on the job, it's not boyscouts like.
    Have recieved my two payments of €1,000 each time, my contribution to the Garda Reserve helped make me stand out -i reckon when i went for a promotion in my job recently,
    So while it may be for FREE, i have learned a lot out it, and have gotten no negativity from the Full-timers..

Advertisement