Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Irishman in Contention / Tour Golf 2009

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:39pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Ok so a new thread for the new season...
    The usual rules apply, you mention someone Irish on here that is doing well this week and, especially if you have money on him, he succumbs to the usual hex that being mentioned on here brings.

Jonathan Caldwell is t8 in south africa thru 11 holes of round 2

edit: just bogeyed the 12th... good to know we still have the power.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

A 66 from McGrane today too... puts him on 7 under.

Looks like McIlroy is going to miss the cut though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Fair play to Jonny Caldwell, great to see him play well.

He was always impressive as an amateur but I always wondered how he'd fair on the big stage. Others such as Lloyd Saltman seem to have vanished off the raidar since turning pro.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

McGrane is hot today, was -7 today for 10 holes, currently still -7 thru 13, -9 overall and is tied for the lead with Lee Westwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

-8 for the day and -10 for the tournament. Brilliant bogey free round today. Hopefully he can push on from here and secure a second win of 2008! Maybin is also going well -9 to tie for 4th at the moment. I think the lead will go to around -12 or -13. Its a pretty good scoring day there it just depends on whether the course firms up in the afternoon. If it does it could keep the scores high for the afternoon starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

McIlroy 2nd now. Wind having a big effect today Can't believe how much they're struggling at the 12th, usually plays downwind and pretty easy but the wind has switched around today.
    Also Gareth Maybin and McGrane tied 4th, Clarke 10th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

There seems to be a lot of Northern players in contention at the SA Open. At one stage earlier McIrloy was placed last of all the NI guys until he birdied 4 of the last 5.

Maybin is best placed in a tie for second on -12 with Rory 1 shot further back on -11. McGrane is also -10 and Darren had a nice round today to get to -8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybin is leading on 14 under after 8 holes.

McIlroy double bogeyed 1 & 2 to go back to seven under and out of it. However he just eagled the par 4 tenth and birdied 11 to be only 3 behind. It's anyone's tournament still

Maybin is leading on 14 under after 8 holes.

McIlroy double bogeyed 1 & 2 to go back to seven under and out of it. However he just eagled the par 4 tenth and birdied 11 to be only 3 behind. It's anyone's tournament still
    No he eagled 9 and birdied 10. Can't believe 9 is playin so short, normally plays very long and tough

fullstop wrote: »
    No he eagled 9 and birdied 10. Can't believe 9 is playin so short, normally plays very long and tough

very unlucky at 11 too. And a great approach to 12.

birdie at 12 for McIlroy. He's on fire at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if he finishes like he did yesterday...

great days work by McIlroy, Hoey, McGrane and Murphy.

uberwolf wrote: »
    great days work by McIlroy, Hoey, McGrane and Murphy.

not Maybin? Very unlucky not to win outright, hopefully he can do it in the playoff

not Maybin? Very unlucky not to win outright, hopefully he can do it in the playoff

:o

he'd an ok day ;) had to settle for 2nd though.

Strong representation there though between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Disappointing for Maybin but showed he's got the temperament to succeed on this stage I thought. Stayed very cool throughout. Putter just let him down in the latter stages, missed quite a few shortish birdie putts.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nice to see Rory stay in top 50 and make the field for the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

How are defining "Irishman" in these posts?

Just wondering as there's a lack of consistency in the Press......

can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

golfbgud wrote: »
    How are defining "Irishman" in these posts?

Just wondering as there's a lack of consistency in the Press......

Anyone born or whose parents were born on the island of Ireland are Irish (as in born on Ireland).

Anyone born in Northern Ireland can call themselves either British or Irish as they wish.

Michael Hoey of Shandon shot a 7 under to lie one place off the lead in the Johannesburg Open.

Hopefully he'll kick on and have a great tournament.

• Advertisement

He's made a good start to life on tour this season... hopefully another 3 good rounds from him this weekend.

Another strong round of 68 today left Michael only a shot behind clubhouse leader David Drysdale.

Keep up the good play and good luck for the weekend.

Nice to see a Scottish lad in the lead... an all too rare thing these days.

Until you mentioned it I hadn't realised that I can't remember when the last time a Scot won. Maybe I'm wrong.

stockdam wrote: »
    Until you mentioned it I hadn't realised that I can't remember when the last time a Scot won. Maybe I'm wrong.

I know, there's a lot of talk in the papers and magazines at home about the dearth of Scottish talent currently on tour. Shame really. Been a good few promising players made the jump but have struggled. The likes of mark Warren and Scott Drummond were both rookies of the year in the past few years but haven't kicked on at all really. Young lads like Richie Ramsay haven't lived up to the hype so far either unfortunately.

Alistair Forsyth won the Madeira Open last year, but (bar the world cup win)that's it since Monty won the European Open in 2007.

Hopefully Drummond can change that this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Ya Ramsay was a very very good amatuer...the US win was pretty special...Seems to be taking him a while to bed in to life on tour...is Coltart playing on tour this year? Thought I heard he got his card but I could be wrong?

Ya Ramsay was a very very good amatuer...the US win was pretty special...Seems to be taking him a while to bed in to life on tour...is Coltart playing on tour this year? Thought I heard he got his card but I could be wrong?

Yeah, coltart is back on tour. Finished around 14th at tour school.

He played a couple of comps before Xmas and made the cut both times. Isn't playing this week but is a reserve for next weeks tournament. Hopefully he can keep his card this season. Probably my favourite player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    Yeah, coltart is back on tour. Finished around 14th at tour school.

He played a couple of comps before Xmas and made the cut both times. Isn't playing this week but is a reserve for next weeks tournament. Hopefully he can keep his card this season. Probably my favourite player.

Nice, looks like hes regained his form, something which can be very hard to do at his age.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    Isn't playing this week but is a reserve for next weeks tournament. Hopefully he can keep his card this season.
    Just goes to show the difference between even being the last player to retain the card and the guys coming on through the school... they need to make a fast start because they have limited opportunities to get into events.
    I heard recently the number of players that come on to the tour that fail to keep their card... forget exactly but around 75% of them...
    That's why it's great to see the likes of Maybin and hopefully Hoey making fast starts to the season.

• Advertisement

I think Hoey will have learnt alot from his last shot at keeping his card. As you say Licksy, getting alot of money in the bank at this stage of the season could really take the pressure off him. Would hopefully free him up to play some good golf.

That's an interesting stat. Doesn't surprise me at all. Alot of guys seem to fail to keep their card and then it takes them a good few years to bounce back. Alot of them never get it back too, i suppose. It really is a cut throat business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement