Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Irishman in Contention / Tour Golf 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM something tells me tomorrow will do ha ha

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

McGrane T3 after a 66, Lawrie T6 after a 67.
    Robert-Jan Derksen leads on -8.

Westwood -6, Monty -5, Kim -4, Poulter -4, Maybin -3 thru 15, Casey -1, Villegas even par, Murphy +1, Greg Norman +3

-1 is T63 currently so cut will likely be at -2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Jesus Maybin is a bit of a revelation. Seems to get himself on the leaderboard nearly every week. Hopefully he can get into the winners enclosure this season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭golf_caddy

f22 wrote: »
    Jesus Maybin is a bit of a revelation. Seems to get himself on the leaderboard nearly every week. Hopefully he can get into the winners enclosure this season too.

Thought his first name was Gareth .... although he does seem to be walking on water at the moment even with a cack-handed putting style...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

golf_caddy wrote: »
    Thought his first name was Gareth .... although he does seem to be walking on water at the moment even with a cack-handed putting style...

;)

Harrington still putts left hand below right, doesn't he?

Whatever get the little ball in the hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Yeah Maybin seems to be doing great - another solid round today. Was a bit surprised at his world ranking(inside the top 100) a couple of weeks ago but seems to be justifying it. Must have learned a lot on the Challenge Tour last season. McGrane going well again too(-8 currently). He seems to really enjoy this part of the season.

McGrane gone 2nd on -9 thru 14 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Anyone know what Rory is doing this week?. The eejits over at Riviera did not extend him a sponsors invite. Their loss. Think I heard he could meet Tiger next week if they win their first 2 matches. Unreal.

Maybin is not far off getting into the top 64. Incredible.

Sponsors Invite request was turned down before he won in Dubai... like Decca Records turning down The Beatles ;)

Anthony Kim is T3 on -8
    Monty & Poulter T11 on -7 with Peter Lawrie (thru 14 holes)
    Maybin T25 on -6
    Projected cut is -3

Graeme Storm and David Frost both shot 64's today to move from T109 (on +1) to T11 on -7... Storm had back to back eagle 3's on 9 & 10
    Kiwi amateur Danny Lee is T11 on -7 thru 10 holes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

McGrane Joint leader on -10.

Good Irish representation on the leader board and more importantly a good representation on the leader board by my fantasy golf team!:D

Gonna be a good weekend I'd say. Out Saturday night and home to watch the final round at 4 am! Golf and Beer, cant be beat! Hopefully the Irish will still be in contention to make it more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Licksy wrote: »
    Anthony Kim is T3 on -8
    Monty & Poulter T11 on -7 with Peter Lawrie (thru 14 holes)
    Maybin T25 on -6
    Projected cut is -3

Graeme Storm and David Frost both shot 64's today to move from T109 (on +1) to T11 on -7... Storm had back to back eagle 3's on 9 & 10
    Kiwi amateur Danny Lee is T11 on -7 thru 10 holes

But you do realise it all means bugger all cos the Tiger isn't there?! ;)

Shaping up to be a very exciting weekend with all the big names up there. Nobody has really run away with it over the first two days which is great for tv.

Great final few holes by McGrane to take the joint lead... shooting a 68 when he bogeyed the back to back par 5's of 9 & 10 (most others eat up those 2 holes).
    The amateur Danny Lee is T3 on -9, was hexed by his mention on here earlier an promptly double bogeyed the 12th but birdied 4 of the last 5 holes to shoot 68

50 players within 5 shots of the lead... looks nice and tight at the top so should be a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Another cut missed by Harrington in the States...:(

The 3 Irish are on -10, 4 shots off the lead in T12 (Lawrie 69, Maybin 68, McGrane 72)
    Amateur is T3 on -12
    Anthony Kim had a 9 on a par 5... not as good as my 11 once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

beat that 11 by 2 once losing no ball;)

We obviously have the WGC Matchplay this week featuring Tiger and 63 other nobodies :rolleyes:
    But in case you'd prefer to see a tournament or a match to watching Tiger play a practice round (and 'win'), this week we also have Rory McIlroy, Padraig Harrington and Graeme McDowell to watch out for...
    Also on this week is the Indonesia Open on the European Tour where Michael Hoey And Gary Murphy provide the home interest.

Indonesia Open...
    Gary Murphy shot a 70 to be -2 and currently T15
    Michael Hoey took 71 for T29

-8 leads but -4 is currently 2nd. Murphy was -4 thru 10 but had two bogeys on the way home. The Pro in 3rd last had a 10 on a par 4... I sometimes like looking at the scores at the bottom of the leaderboard because it makes me feel better about myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

That's funny Licksy, I do the same.

Was looking at the results of the Portuguese Amateur and some chap shot 91 (+9) in the opening round. Can't believe that they left lads on +2.4 on the waiting list and gave someone an exemption (off 2) that had this in the bag. Shot +12 on round 2 to top it off. :confused:

Gary Murphy is T19 on -3 after 3 rounds in Bali which is ok but he was T2 on -4 after 10 holes of round 1 so should be doing better.
    Michael Hoey is T51 on +1 after another disappointing 73. He too had been -4 after 13 holes of round 1 and again after 13 holes of round 2. There must be a fair bit of trouble on the course if you are out of line or something.. haven't seen any of it on tv. Lucquin (he who beat Rory in a play-off in Switzerland last year) had an 84 on Friday, 6 bogeys and 3 doubles, no birdies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rich87

Clarke and Rory playing the honda this week,

Clarke level par after round one, good start for rory, a couple under after 3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Arrgh ... following Rory on the play-by-play on pgatour.com ... all going well until just now ... the 17th par three ... triple bogey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

It's live on Setanta. Today's lesson is, don't play a touch shot out of the hazard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

Yeah, Hit his tee shot into the water hazard, played his 2nd shot from inside the hazard and left it a foot behind him and then hit his 3rd into the bunker over the back of the green and obviously took three from there. Wouldnt surprise me if he had a 4 on 18 though. Hitting the ball very well and currently has the longest drive of the week at 361 yards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

He took a 5 iron on that Par 3 and the commentators at the time (before hit took the shot) were thinking it was a bad club selection. On the previous Par 3 which was shorter (by about 10 yards, I think) he had taken 5 also and left it about 30 feet short. Shame - because he was tipping along nicely before that. He must have bounced back on 18 though did he, to remain level? If he did, then you can't ask for any more than that!

Amazing how much attention he is getting now over there. The commentary were waxing lyrical about Sergio's driving after he boomed one down one of the the 500+ yard par 4's on the back 9, leaving only a SW into the green. I think he hit it 340/350 yards or something crazy and was longest for the day by a stretch. Then young Rory comes along and knocks it 360 something down the same fairway in the group behind.... fairly impressive! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Love the way Setanta just killed the coverage stone dead before he played it back out of the bunker.

He's getting huge amount of attention now. Hopefully he has big shoulders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Where has all Rory distance come from. He is No 1 in driving distance after round one. 345 yds average

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

A very creditable 13th for McIlroy at the Honda. Seems as if nothing is beyond him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

durkadurka wrote: »
    A very creditable 13th for McIlroy at the Honda. Seems as if nothing is beyond him.

Agree, his play over the last few weeks has been nothing short of incredible. He led the birdie trail this week with 18. I just hope he doesn't run into a wall of fatigue before the Masters as I'd love to see him put in a big performance (Top 10 finish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Seems to be well capable of it - although I think people take a few years to get the hang of Augusta.

I think if he plays four rounds at Augusta, its been a good tournament, although he will doubtless surpass expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement