Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Irishman in Contention / Tour Golf 2009

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Gareth Maybin leads in Italy on -7
    Gary Murphy and Jonathan Caldwell t26 on -1 (Caldwell thru 13 holes)
    McGeady t46 on even par
    Darren Clarke t106 on +3 thru 17

McIlroy was -2 thru 16 in sawgrass, then took a 6 at 17 and bogeyed the last for a 74
    Harrington is +1 thru 7
    McDowell took 71

Poulter showing form to be t3 on -5

Michael Campbell withdrawn... +9 thru 9 (5 bogeys and a quad)
    D.A. Weibring withdrawn... +7 thru 6 (3 bogeys, 2 doubles)
    ouch.

McGeady on a roll this morning, -4 for 9 holes, up to t3

European Open this week at The London Golf Club in Kent, 10 Irish in the field.
    Peter Lawrie is T3 after a 67 (-5)
    McDowell T17 after a 70 (-2)
    McIlroy -1 thru 6
    Hoey took 73
    Clarke, Maybin & McGrane 74
    McGinley +2 & Shane Lowry +3 thru 7
    Murphy just teed off.

Lowry started his professional career with a bogey, added another on the 4th, doubled the 6th and has just birdied the 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I knew that Lowry lad wouldn't make it as a pro...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Trampas

+5 after 12 now.

Welcome to the pro scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

sure at least he has the 2 year exemption to let him settle in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

conno16 wrote: »
    sure at least he has the 2 year exemption to let him settle in..

Ah yeah, sure he may aswell pack his bags and come home to play the junior scratch in Headfort.

Tomorrow is a new day!

f22 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, sure he may aswell pack his bags and come home to play the junior scratch in Headfort.

Tomorrow is a new day!

He finished ahead of a Ryder Cup player and a major champion and just a few shots worse than the Players Championship winner from just a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes out and shoots under par tomorrow, hopefully in the 60s.

• Advertisement

hopefully in the 50s

has that ever been done?

conno16 wrote: »
    hopefully in the 50s

has that ever been done?

Have you ever done it on the front nine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    He finished ahead of a Ryder Cup player and a major champion and just a few shots worse than the Players Championship winner from just a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes out and shoots under par tomorrow, hopefully in the 60s.

He also finished a shot ahead of the(former?) no.1 amateur in the world Scott Arnold. Did he turn pro too? It doesn't indicate he's an amateur on the ET leaderboard.. Would love to see Lowry shoot a low one today.

Edit: Scott Arnold did turn pro. It's his debut too..

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    Have you ever done it on the front nine?

yes - i consistently break 100
    sometimes 90 if i'm rockin 'n' rollin and have my ian poulter armbands on

Level par thru 7 today.

fingers crossed he can start sinking a few birdies from here onwards
    if he makes the cut, well, you never know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

Dont think he'll make the cut which will most likely be -2 or lower ala the Irish open.

At least he'll be able to show people that he's able to shoot a respectable score in Tournament golf.

Paul McGinley is having his usual 2nd round drop out. +4 after 9. The other member of that group, Anthony Wall, is leading on -8, -4 for today.

The rest of the Irish guys will have to go low to make the cut. Perfect conditions here today again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Delighted with Lowry today, much more like it. Breaking par would do him the world of good.

Who do ye fancy to win? I fancy curtis, he's always underrated imo

Garcia had a good finish yesterday... started with a double, turned +2
    3 birdies and an eagle in his back nine of 31 for -3 and t25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Live scores form here http://scores.europeantour.com/default.sps?pagegid={8455C601-B598-43F0-AE27-8559DC7985DD}&redirectorid=tournament_live&eventid=2009040&ieventno=2009040&infosid=2

Not great by Lowry but Lawrie is looking good. My money will be on Ben Curtis at -4, had a good finish last week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Rock is having a poor day today too, +6 for his 1st 9, gone to +8 altogether.

Even par was t75 overnight.. now it's t69 so a chance maybe that the cut will be at even (or -1)

+1 is t65 right now! Very few rounds of 70 or less today

Fine round from Lawrie today of 71 has him on -6, 2 shots behind and t5
    Cut is at +1 so McIlroy on -2 (t25), McDowell -1 (t32) & McGinley on +1 (t56) make the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 PhilMickelson

Anyone have a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Jeeeeeeeeez watching Rory today is so frustrating. He should be taking this title easy, the others on the leaderboard are journeymen, nobody is playing well, most are playing crap, including Rory.

It kills me to watch and support him so strongly and he to play like ****. He has bogeyed 2 of the par fives FFS. Ridiculous. He really has to sort out his putting.

Ok......... maybe Quiros might turn out to be something better than a 'journeyman' pro.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Ok......... maybe Quiros might turn out to be something better than a 'journeyman' pro.

30 in the world aint bad for a 'journeyman'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'm raging I didn't put some money on Cevaer this morning. With a share of the lead going into the last round his odds were 11/2 which must be some sort of record for someone in that position.

Disappointing for Rory, his short game and putting are the areas of his game that are lagging behind his brilliant long game at the moment. If he cracks that, he'll win every other week on tour. Also just seems to have difficulty closing tournaments out, both last week and this had poor final rounds by his standards. Got to remember he's still only 20 though.

Good start for Lawrie -3 after 8

McGinley evens (5)

Not great for Lowry and McGrane
    +3 (7) and +5 (4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Always find that Lawrie starts out of the blocks like a steam train then always falls back, that must be something in his head at this stage !!

would love to see him win more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement