Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭

[The trial on two sites ended in 2008. There are now only engineering tests: Watty]

Seeing as how the MPEG4 trials have now begun in earnest, I thought it might be useful if we had a list of TV models, STB/DVB-T receivers, or MPEG4 CAM combinations which have been confirmed to work with the Irish DTT system.

So if you can view the MPEG4 channels, post your model of TV/STB/CAM here. It would be also useful if you can see any EPG info, stating whether it's just "Now or Next" or extended 7-Day EPG. Thirdly, any MHEG5 interactive services or teletext that can be viewed. For example:

Model: Sony Bravia W4000
    EPG: Only "now and next"
    Teletext: None

If you want to include a screengrab of the epg, all the better. Obviously, it might be sometime before actual EPG data or teletext services are transmitted.

If the thread is to be of any use, please only post confirmed reports - no chat or "can my tv view the channels?" questions. No point in posting reception reports with PCI cards or USB sticks either as these are too dependent on your software setup - there are already a number of existing threads.

If someone has previously posted that your model of tv/stb/cam works, then it is pointless making a duplicate post.

Can we please keep all questions/issues regarding MPEG4 reception, stb/tv availability to this thread.

P.S. Thanks to all who have posted reception reports so far!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Del3D

Model: Clarke-Tech HD 5000 C
    [HD Satellite & Terrestrial Combo Receiver (PVR Ready)]
    EPG: Not even "now and next"
    Notes: Also worked with the RTE High-definition trial channel with latest update. Confirmed 4 channels today (H.264 576i) in Meath. Works with BBC-HD Satellite Channel also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Model: Sony Bravia 32S1020 with Neotion CAM
    EPG: Only "now and next"
    Signal Strength: 88% (I averaged 60% from DCMNR trials)

Note: Momentary jitter when switching channel (0.12 second) when screen display switches from "Digital" to "HD". There was no momentary jitter on the DCMNR trial. Picture quality does appear to be far superior to the DCMNR trials- which would often freeze and pixilate.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Also I have a ClarkeTech 5000C picking up the Three Rock mpeg4 channels from Meath. Signal strength only 33% but the picture is stable. Great receiver - I have made my own mix of channels from Freesat and DTT in a group for easy switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Had some retuning issues at first.. but sorted now. Can receive the national 4 on DTT from 3-Rock on my Dreambox 7025 using a DVB-T tuner.

As I already knew, it cannot display the MPEG4 video (audio only) but can record them and they playback on a PC... a perfect work around for now until the elusive DM8000 becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 renshai

Panasonic HD TV model TH-42PZ81B is clearing the whole fta RTE tv stations and radio from Claremont Carn, sound and vision today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Technisat DVB-t MPEG2 receiver.
    Neotion Pocket Duo, MPEG4 ->MPEG2 re-encoder in Pay TV CI slot. (PCMCIA/CAM sized module with SIM card sized reader and ethernet port).
    ThreeRock. Using outdoor Quad "bowtie" (Like "Colourking") on 10' pole clamped to balcony rail, north Blanchardstown. No useful indoor Analogue signal. Analogue pictures from same aerial slightly noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭joe25

Working Here in tramore on Super Darkbox Combo
    (HD Satellite & Terrestrial Combo Receiver)
    EPG: Not even "now and next"

Also works with satellite with BBC HD,ITV HD and Channel4 HD(With Card)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MOD NOTE: This thread has been stickied, and some posts have been moved to here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56824896

I'd appreciate if the thread can be kept on topic.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if they have changed the output from the mux or something- but my signal strength is down to between 35%-45%, experiencing severe pixilation on RTE1 and TG4 (less severe on RTE2 and TV3). Have tried different aerial polarities to no avail. Big difference from last night. Location: Lucan village

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Model: Technomate 6900 HD
    [HD Satellite & Terrestrial Combo Receiver]
    EPG: "now and next" not available as of 6th Aug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Geemac

Working near Forkhill on a Sony KDLW2000 with a Neotion CAM. Locks picture OK but lipsync is ok for a minute or two and then experiences a delay of a couple of seconds on RTE1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

RTE 1/2, TV3, TG4 plus 4 RTE radio stations, FTA from Claremont Carn on channel 53 via a Sony Bravia W 4000 series TV. TV can take a CAM if necessary.

EPG: "No event information". Teletext: none. (TV is MHEG5 capable, must select UK, not Ireland as country in initial setup for this though).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 drogs_1

Model: Sony w4000 series

Picking up 4 tv & 4 radio at the moment in Drogheda. However pic quality is not as good since moving to Mpeg4. During trial pic was perfect with no interuptions. Now pic seems to break down a lot more into pixels with signal qual still up at 92%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joe Bangle

A MacBook [OS 10.5.4] with Elgato EyeTV hardware and EyeTV 3.03 Software.

Getting great reception from Three Rock -- the four TV stations and the four radio stations reported.

Hardware: (1) a two-year old EyeTV Hybrid (DTT+Analog), (2) a two-year old EyeTV DTT Stick and (3) a new EyeTV Diversity -- all Elgato USB Sticks and all using short indoor aerials in Booterstown, Co Dublin.

Also picking up the four radio stations on another Elgato DTT Stick on a Linksys NSLU2 running Debian Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Moved the aerial to a new location in the loft and also replaced old coaxial cable. Signal strength has gone up from 33% to 91%.

This morning I have a 6 day EPG on the ClarkeTech 5000C. Same EPG that I had with the previous mpeg2 trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Satfinder

Transmitter: | Three Rock
    Receiver Location: |Meath
    Aerial used: |Loft Aerial - High-gain Yagi (probably way OTT)
    Receiver Model: |PC with XP SP3
    Tuner Card: |PCI HVR-4000
    PVR Software: |Mediaportal (freeware) - version 1.0.0 RC2 (with TV-Server)

EPG: |None but see below
    Teletext: |None but didn't try
    Radio Stations rxed: |didn't try but do you care?
    TV Channels rxed: |All four SIMULTANEOUSLY

Notes:
    1) Used XMLTV with radio_times_uk grabber to pull in EPG from web so haven't tried to pull in DVB EPG recently. Couldn't last week, but I hear RTE have since started TXing an EPG.

2) Mediaportal will pull in ALL stations on a multiplex simultaneously so in principle you could record all four at once whilst watching one of them. Impressive.

3) I CAN record all four at once, but CANNOT watch them live. This may be due to a conflict between my codec suite and Mediaportal - your mileage may differ. I'll update you on this if I sort it out, unless someone beats me to it in getting full MediaPortal functionality in processing the RTE streams.

4) I recorded programmes as Transport Stream (.ts) files. These could be played back (with the latest version of the freeware ffdshow codec installed) in Windows Media Player (v9, v11), Media Player Classic (v6.4.9.0), and (only if renamed to foo.mpg) Winamp 5.41. They could NOT be played back in VLC or (surprisingly) Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. I think the latter two bypass the DirectShow filter chain and config their own codecs.

5) As far as I can tell, the following PVR software does NOT pull in the video signal correctly:
    Cyberlink PowerCinema, GBPVR, DVBviewer, WinTV.
    The first three CAN pull in BBC HD via satellite.

Caveat: Because of the wonderful way Microsoft's DirectShow architecture works, whether any video source will display in a given application depends on what codecs you have installed and their assigned merit values in the Windows Registry. So what worked for me may not for you, and v.v.

Apology: I know the first post on this thread says it's not for PC-related posts but I've no home to go to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alz

CAM module Turbosat MPEG-4 Conax Cam does not work with TV Phillips 47PFL5522D, but works fine with Samsung LE32R88BD.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

In Dublin this weekend, have just fired up my Elgato Eye TV Hybird, on a Mac Book Pro, in Dublin 2. Using the latest software, Eye TV 3, I can get all 4 Irish channels and 4 radio channels. Not bad at all, signal strength is about 64%

Now if only the weather here was a bit better, i'd move back! :D

In Slovenia they are at about the same stage as we are they are also going mpeg 4, so it seems to be the way to go. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Model: Humax HDCI-2000T
    EPG: 7 day but "info" only available on "now and next" programmes
    Signal 50 - 60%
    Quality 40 - 70%
    TX: Three Rock Ch54
    Nothing from CC Ch53 - still being shielded from north & east?

Signal & quality appears to be weeker than MPEG-2 trial. Hope it improves come official launch.

Peddyr wrote: »
    Model: Humax HDCI-2000T
    EPG: 7 day but "info" only available on "now and next" programmes
    Signal 50 - 60%
    Quality 40 - 70%
    TX: Three Rock Ch54
    Nothing from CC Ch53 - still being shielded from north & east?

Signal & quality appears to be weeker than MPEG-2 trial. Hope it improves come official launch.

UPDATE

The last few days the reception in the Isle of Mann has been very low making viewing unwatchable for most of the time. Signal strength has dropped to between 48 - 52%, signal quality between 0 - 10%

I've had to resort back to the snowy analgoue tx! It looks as if RTE are txing on low power for some reason, although my location is 86 miles from Three Rock, MPEG-2 txs were a lot stronger and watchable for 99% of the time over the last two years. Does MPEG-4 need more power than MPEG-2 perhaps??

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

• Advertisement

Lucan village with a clear line of site to 3Rock.
    Severe pixilation and picture freezes on all 4 MPEG4 channels.
    Curiously- analogue is better than I have seen it in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

For anyone with an LG tv I tried the Viaccess CAM in a 26LC55 and it did not work. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Daithi Lacha

Tried Viaccess CAM in Panasonic TX32LXD700 TV and it did not work :-(

DVB was working beautifully during Trial to end July. No picture since then.

I tried a Viaccess CAM in an S Series Bravia and it didn't work (which I thought strange as a Conax CAM works fine). I tried it in a W Series and it doesn't work there either- so I've sent it back as defective (it wasn't even getting warm- and the Conax CAM is hot-hot-hot, so obviously its dead as a dodo).

For anyone with an LG tv I tried the Viaccess CAM in a 26LC55 and it did not work. Hope this helps.

I also have the Viaccess cam which works in Sanyo, dodgy in Samsung keeps getting very hot and picture freezing. Did not work in Humax pvr9200TB. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Looks like LG/Philips are makes to stay away regarding MPEG4 CAM conversions. I just tried a Turbosat MPEG-4 Conax Cam in my MPEG2 LG and I get nothing as well. Typical. Well at least I have my Humax HDCI-2000T. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmcdowell

Has anyone had success with an MPEG4 CAM in this machine?

rmcdowell wrote: »
    Has anyone had success with an MPEG4 CAM in this machine?

Afraid not! Phoned Humax in Newtonards and was told that this model is not designed to support MPEG4 cams. Thinking of selling mine as no good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

Tried Viaccess CAM in Panasonic TX32LXD700 TV and it did not work :-(

DVB was working beautifully during Trial to end July. No picture since then.

I also got the Viaccess CAM and it would not work in the Sharp LC 37XD1E

Could a software update in the TV solve the problem? Does anyone know.

Would appreciate any help on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

That would seem to be the main issue with compatibility. In some cases the software may have to be adapted. How you do that for a TV however I do not know.

Most certainly the Humax 9200T I would have thought would be compatible. And if not surely someone over on the hummy site might tweak the firmware to work with it in the CI slot.

It would seem whilst DVB-Ci is meant to a standard (European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization EN 50221) some issues still arise.

The forthcoming DVB-CI+ standard will probably sort out these problems.

Advertisement