Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

No physical home button annoys me. I don't know why bit I don't like not having one.

If it has no headphone jack then I'm definitely gone. Is it to make the phone thinner? Who actually wants s thinner phone? I feel like my s7 is going to break when I use it without my case on it. I wish they would make it fatter enabling a bigger battery.

I don't use the fingerprint scanner but I always liked the look in the phones on YouTube that had it on the back. So I'm happy it's on the back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Patww79 wrote: »

****in madness if true.

The more I read about this phone the more I look for alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I can't imagine this being true - as mentioned in the article it means the narrow bezels would be pointless. The press (and public) would go nuts!! I'm still holding out hope that the fingerprint sensor will be under the screen.

I would wait until it's actually announced, then decide one way or the other.

I could easily be a phone designer, I'd nail it. Just make the Note 7 without the exploding batteries and give it a flat screen. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Considering holding out for this phone. I'm out of contract and my Xperia Z3 is held together by cellotape at this stage.

I was considering the HTC 10 or S7 Edge (which interestingly has gone up €20 this week on three)

€49 for HTC or €199 for Edge or wait for S8????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Might as well wait at this stage as it won't be long. If going for either of the others then the S7 Edge is a no-brainer over the HTC (not 4x better, but you're talking under 200 quid for either).

Was thinking of buying directly from them. Do they normally reduce phones by much when newer models come out?

But yea, I think you are right, I will most likely hold out for the 8

py2006 wrote: »
    Considering holding out for this phone. I'm out of contract and my Xperia Z3 is held together by cellotape at this stage.

I was considering the HTC 10 or S7 Edge (which interestingly has gone up €20 this week on three)

€49 for HTC or €199 for Edge or wait for S8????

Only clear advantages for the 10 is the audio and dev community. Anything else is important to you, go Sammy.

I'd be waiting to see what the next round of phones has to offer, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

New leaked photo out, no surprises really given the previous leaks.

Between the length of the screen, the curved version only and rumoured small battery of only 3,000mAh (smaller version) I'm not as dead set on this phone as I could've been. I like that I can use the S7 one handed for the most part.

https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-On-Screen-Buttons1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Keith186 wrote:
    Between the length of the screen, the curved version only and rumoured small battery of only 3,000mAh (smaller version) I'm not as dead set on this phone as I could've been. I like that I can use the S7 one handed for the most part.

That's a joke bringing out a phone that big with that small of battery and then charge a fortune for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Keith186 wrote: »
    New leaked photo out, no surprises really given the previous leaks.

https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-On-Screen-Buttons1.jpg

Can't say I'm a fan - dimension/ratios look all wrong, could be just the covert sneaky photo angle! Might just stick with this S7 - faultless phone so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Saw this on Android Authority earlier. Not too long to go for the G6.

https://goo.gl/C7PmHo
    Both LG and Samsung have reportedly settled on their new flagship launch dates, with the Galaxy S8 available globally on April 21 and the LG G6 on March 10.

Not long to wait. I had a look at the G6 launch earlier. Looks like a nice device, but unfortunately Sammy are gonna outdo them on pretty much every feature. It is also going to be a lot easier to get your hands on an S8, if previous years are anything to go by.

Basil3 wrote: »
    March 29th for the S8 launch.

image001-2.jpg

Not long to wait. I had a look at the G6 launch earlier. Looks like a nice device, but unfortunately Sammy are gonna outdo them on pretty much every feature. It is also going to be a lot easier to get your hands on an S8, if previous years are anything to go by.

Non USA models are set to miss on some features. Bizarre. I was heavily interested in the G6. Now I guess I'm back onto the S8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'd say they'll all be hard got now that you can't buy direct from Samsung here but CPW should get stock eventually.

Really don't know if I can be arsed with another curved screen again though. I hate using a case and the screen makes one necessary.

My S7 edge is in for repair the last 4 days because i suffered the dreaded pink line on the right hand side of the screen.

So im back using an old S4 and i must say it is far easier to hold and use without the curved display.
    I've even been Contemplating selling it once i get it back and getting a Note 5.

I don't think i can put up with the curves on the S8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

I'll be in Bangkok on 21st April when the S8 is released. Will it work out cheaper if I buy it there? Any cons of buying it there? Or am I just better off waiting until I get home on 25th April?

One good thing about the on screen buttons is that you can finally switch the back and recent buttons back to the correct way. Has always been one of the most annoying things about Sammy for me.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'll be in Bangkok on 21st April when the S8 is released. Will it work out cheaper if I buy it there? Any cons of buying it there? Or am I just better off waiting until I get home on 25th April?

Wouldn't you have warranty issues? You're usually best to buy within the EU.

Basil3 wrote: »

Wouldn't you have warranty issues? You're usually best to buy within the EU.

I guess. I never used a warranty before so I never considered that factor.

I guess. I never used a warranty before so I never considered that factor.

I only have once for a smartphone, but it's probably not worth the risk. You often can't insurance if it's not bought new from within the EU as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Funny the design similarities this year between Samsung and Lg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

To be fair it is a very good looking phone and can't wait to get a gold S8 plus now

Advertisement