Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

With Khabib and Ferguson both winning, I can't see anything other than a fight between them for a shot at the title.

In the meantime, you'd have to think its a case of either the FW belt is defended or its vacated and Diaz 3 happens. I know he's a huge draw but it's time to finish FW and retire the belt or vacate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

McGregor junior is due in March. I'd say it will be the end of April or early May before we see him fight again. Of course he may be persuaded to fight a little earlier if the owners agree to his equity claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

UFC are praying Ronda comes back a hit so they have some leverage back if, if shes ko'd Conors position gets bigger hes the only fighter with them ppv numbers and the public know on the roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

With Khabib and Ferguson both winning, I can't see anything other than a fight between them for a shot at the title.

In the meantime, you'd have to think its a case of either the FW belt is defended or its vacated and Diaz 3 happens. I know he's a huge draw but it's time to finish FW and retire the belt or vacate it.

Its pretty obvious he's done at 145. I just want to see him actually start defending his title [which ever one he hangs on to] or vacate both if he just wants to do "The Money fights".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I just want to see him actually start defending his title.
    He won the title less than 24 hours ago.
    He's fought four fights in 11 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Effects wrote: »
    He won the title less than 24 hours ago.
    He's fought four fights in 11 months.

I'm not expecting him to do it this week. Thank You for proving my point. Four fights in 11 months this year. Not one of them a title defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't see him fighting again until next summer and so my call is Nate III for the Lightweight title in Dublin around July and then Mayweather at the end of 2017.

I know, I know.. but there is simply far too much money to be made by both fighters from that fight for it not to happen.

2018 I see him fighting for the UFC Welterweight belt while people moan that he hasn't defended his LW strap since beating Nate in Croke Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

When will we know how many PPV buys it did last night? Also how much do we think Conor will make in total

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eatmore

McGregor says in his interview with Megan Olivi that he has about 40 different announcements to make but that he is being advised in too many different ways so he only announced the pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Four fights in 11 months this year. Not one of them a title defense.

It's pretty clear he does things differently and on his own terms. That's certainly going to increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I reckon he will fight fairly soon (providing he resolves whatever issue he has with the new owners) January or February, well in advance of McGregor Jr being born. He said last night that he was fresh, he took zero damage. He could fight next week if he wanted to.

I think it will be a 145 title defence against Aldo then he goes again in July/August against the winner of Khabib/Ferguson.

He then gives up the 145 belt, providing he has beaten Aldo and Khabib/Ferguson, saying that he wants to spend more time with his new baby and defending 2 titles is too time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I read somewhere he got 3.5 million disclosed. 50k bonus. 40k reebok.

Edit: just realised I didn't answer your question. We will likely never know for sure how much off the ppv he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

lafors wrote: »
    Yeah Dana White posted on twitter to clarify that they didn't drop the ball on that one, it was his own belt to bring in as it wasn't on the line. So his own guys left it behind them.

Anyway got my few hours sleep now, can't wait to watch it back later tonight :D
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think what people need to be aware of is that all the UFC belts are identical. There's no such thing as "my belt". For example, Eddie walked off with the "FW belt" at the Presser while Conor walked off with the "LW belt".

They are all just identical props. The UFC have bucket loads of them for promotional shoots etc.

To say that Conor should have walked out into the Octagon carrying his belt is ridiculous, it would have looked it too!

They just dropped the ball, simple as that. They could have had 10 belts sitting under Dana's ringside seat if they wanted. Dana did say he was really unhappy with some elements of the production and mistakes were made, so i presume this was one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What a night. What. A. Night.

Seriously, that was one of the most exciting UFC events I've ever seen - almost all of the fights went the distance and had fantastic action in them. The Wonderboy fight in particular was pure class. Conor v Alvarez surprised me to be honest - I always expected Conor to win (did anyone else pick up on their pre-fight body language? Conor was relaxed and in control, Alvarez was pacing back and forth and looked "jittery" overall, like he was having a premature adrenaline or caffeine rush) but I didn't expect it to be nearly as decisive a victory. Forgetting about the actual knockout, Conor pretty much dominated the entire fight - I even seem to remember that Alvarez looked like he was having to hold onto the cage at one point while trying to keep Conor still, although the ref didn't seem to notice it.

So what's the story with Conor's big announcement? He's said that he's going to become a father and that he's not sure about bringing a kid up in the whole celebrity bubble, but he didn't say anything conclusive at all to my mind. Didn't mention taking time off or quitting the sport. Could he have meant that he'd like to spend more time in Ireland, maybe stay in Ireland for longer periods of training in the run up to fights instead of being in Vegas?

What a night. What. A. Night.

Seriously, that was one of the most exciting UFC events I've ever seen - almost all of the fights went the distance and had fantastic action in them. The Wonderboy fight in particular was pure class. Conor v Alvarez surprised me to be honest - I always expected Conor to win (did anyone else pick up on their pre-fight body language? Conor was relaxed and in control, Alvarez was pacing back and forth and looked "jittery" overall, like he was having a premature adrenaline or caffeine rush) but I didn't expect it to be nearly as decisive a victory. Forgetting about the actual knockout, Conor pretty much dominated the entire fight - I even seem to remember that Alvarez looked like he was having to hold onto the cage at one point while trying to keep Conor still, although the ref didn't seem to notice it.

So what's the story with Conor's big announcement? He's said that he's going to become a father and that he's not sure about bringing a kid up in the whole celebrity bubble, but he didn't say anything conclusive at all to my mind. Didn't mention taking time off or quitting the sport. Could he have meant that he'd like to spend more time in Ireland, maybe stay in Ireland for longer periods of training in the run up to fights instead of being in Vegas?

He told Megan Olivi that he has about 40 different announcements to make but he is being advised in many different ways so is just announcing Dee's pregnancy for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Recipe for a record-breaking card (anywhere in the world):

Headlined by Conor McGregor.
    Co-headlined by a welterweight title fight who go to war!

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Its pretty obvious he's done at 145. I just want to see him actually start defending his title [which ever one he hangs on to] or vacate both if he just wants to do "The Money fights".

Why is it obvious? Every time it's brought up to Conor or John Kavanagh they both seem pretty positive about the weight division. Just last week Kavanagh mentioned that having John Lockhart on board makes weight cutting more straightforward.

Eatmore wrote: »
    He told Megan Olivi that he has about 40 different announcements to make but he is being advised in many different ways so is just announcing Dee's pregnancy for now.

Ah for feck's sake, so we can't put this whole announcement business to rest yet? :D

It does look fairly conclusively like he's not retiring though, based on what he said last night and also on the press conference call last week...

Ah for feck's sake, so we can't put this whole announcement business to rest yet? :D

It does look fairly conclusively like he's not retiring though, based on what he said last night and also on the press conference call last week...

To be fair these announcements could range from something like new emoji's to a new fitness program.

I don't think it is anything major....he announced that he wants the UFC to give him shares which I don't think would happen.

It's not a fight with Floyd either.

Not going to sweat over it!

Eatmore wrote: »
    To be fair these announcements could range from something like new emoji's to a new fitness program.

I don't think it is anything major....he announced that he wants the UFC to give him shares which I don't think would happen.

It's not a fight with Floyd either.

Not going to sweat over it!

Well to be fair I think the reason people are sweating over it is because Dana implied that whatever the announcement is, was a central factor in his caving in to allowing this fight in the first place, which is why the retirement / hiatus rumours started ("obviously he's letting it happen now because it's the last chance for a year"). Now of course, Dana is known for his bullsh!tting so it could easily be that he was stirring sh!t up without any substance behind it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I reckon he will fight fairly soon (providing he resolves whatever issue he has with the new owners) January or February, well in advance of McGregor Jr being born. He said last night that he was fresh, he took zero damage. He could fight next week if he wanted to.

I think it will be a 145 title defence against Aldo then he goes again in July/August against the winner of Khabib/Ferguson.

He then gives up the 145 belt, providing he has beaten Aldo and Khabib/Ferguson, saying that he wants to spend more time with his new baby and defending 2 titles is too time consuming.

Don't think he'll be fighting in the summer. The baby is supposedly due in May...I don't see him fighting too soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Probably posted tens of times on here already, but:

9SZqDVz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm convinced Mac and Rogan have a frosty relationship. Mac seemed to be rubbing it in with the aggressively delivered "Yes Joe, Yes Joe, You're Welcome".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Paully D wrote: »
    Probably posted tens of times on here already, but:

9SZqDVz.jpg

What's this about. ?

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

Yo boards, we did it!

About a mix for his entrance music,

I presume your man didnt do it for him?

I'd say he regrets it now Conor doesnt forget favours done for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

JohnSBG wrote: »
    Yo boards, we did it!

Ah its yourself :)

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

JohnSBG wrote: »
    Yo boards, we did it!

Surely to be marked by an AMA now! First question...what did you think of Joe's salty commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

JohnSBG wrote:
    Yo boards, we did it!

Well done! Was much easier than expected. Well he made it look easy anyway.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement