Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A question for the referees (or those more knowledgeable about the rules): you know the way that Connolly / Keegan have 'history' - is the referee supposed to take that into account in a match. For example, if Connolly & Keegan are involved in anything early on the next day, I can see the referee giving a yellow because it is them (and I can certainly see the logic in it). Whereas if it was another 2 players involved, he might give a warning. I am just curious if the referees are supposed to take into consideration stuff that has happened in previous matches.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've deleted a whole lot of off topic rubbish from the thread, mostly Peist and Bonniedog - anything like that comes on again we'll hand out month long bans. This thread is NOT descending into the farce that the other one did.

You have to realise us moderators have day jobs as well, and could do without people hiding behind usernames to use the thread as a playground to wind others up and making our job much harder.

If you have a problem with a post, report it - don't decide to keep going, because you will also be carded/banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I've deleted a whole lot of off topic rubbish from the thread, mostly Peist and Bonniedog - anything like that comes on again we'll hand out month long bans. This thread is NOT descending into the farce that the other one did.

You have to realise us moderators have day jobs as well, and could do without people hiding behind usernames to use the thread as a playground to wind others up and making our job much harder.

If you have a problem with a post, report it - don't decide to keep going, because you will also be carded/banned

Thanks, great work, appreciate it....

Anyway, I'd say the dubs will win the replay +5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Thanks, great work, appreciate it....

Anyway, I'd say the dubs will win the replay +5

Yeah great work but here's another grenade.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Weirdly I am getting less confident of a Mayo win the next day (even though I backed it yesterday at 5/2). I just think the Dublin forwards have much more room for improvement than the Mayo forwards. Dublin were 3 points ahead going into injury time despite playing woeful football. If they get some momentum the next day, they could do serious damage. Brogan is not the player he was but he will not blank the next day. Rock was dropping balls and taking frees off the ground on a very greasy surface, he has to cop on and up his game. McMenamin and Flynn were absent without leave and will want to make an impact. Kilkenny held things together towards the end but he will know he needs to be more of a scoring threat. I'll let Connolly and Keegan play their stupid game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Dublin were 3 points ahead going into injury time despite playing woeful football.

That was with the assistance of two own goals.
    Mayo should come on from their first full blooded match in a long time - bring on their match sharpness, confidence and belief in their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dont think Flynn will improve. A dry day might help Brogan but I expect little from him

Rock will improve I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ted111 wrote: »
    Mayo should come on from their first full blooded match in a long time - bring on their match sharpness, confidence and belief in their system.

Two own goals that came from dublin slicing the Mayo defence like lemons and general panic around a slippy ball

Could have been two more via the same route only for fine stops from Clarke

Stop kidding yourself with own goals thing.

Ted111 wrote: »

True but Mayo levelled half way through the second half. Crucially they did not take the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Lad's I hear no talk of rock being dropped. I know that he normally nails the frees but he does seem to struggle in the big games when the pressures on.
    He doesn't contribute a whole lot from play. I'd drop him for someone more dynamic like Andrews. You could always bring him on mid way through the 2nd half when teams are tired an fouling that bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No chance of Rock being dropped on the back of one off day in poor weather, he's been one of the more consistent performers for Dublin this summer.

Brogan is probably the most under threat in the inside forward line, especially with memories of what Andrews did at 14 against Mayo in last year's replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Agree. With a dry ball, Rock will be significantly more effective. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Past30Now wrote: »
    Agree. With a dry ball, Rock will be significantly more effective. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Why was Rock kicking frees off a wet greasy surface when he is perfectly well able to kick out of his hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Why was Rock kicking frees off a wet greasy surface when he is perfectly well able to kick out of his hands?

This baffled me as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Past30Now wrote: »

And if it rains?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

elguapo wrote: »
    And if it rains?

Hopefully Mayo foul closer to the goal:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think Dublin will have learned more from the first game, and have more to improve. A dry day will definitely tip the balance in their favour. Lets face it they can't be any worse than they were the last day. Mayo had a longer rest and more time to prepare than Dublin going into the final but whatever advantage coming from that is now gone.

Mayo to put it up to them for 60-65 minutes but Dublin will close it out. Still a good year for Mayo and to be honest its bonus territory at this stage. Come again in 2017 with the experience under our belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think Dublin will have learned more from the first game, and have more to improve. A dry day will definitely tip the balance in their favour. Lets face it they can't be any worse than they were the last day. Mayo had a longer rest and more time to prepare than Dublin going into the final but whatever advantage coming from that is now gone.

Mayo to put it up to them for 60-65 minutes but Dublin will close it out. Still a good year for Mayo and to be honest its bonus territory at this stage. Come again in 2017 with the experience under our belts.

Mayo have had a much longer campaign. Dublin sauntered through Leinster and were able to juggle their squad somewhat.
    A week between the two semi finals is very small advantage to try consolidate that imbalance with the qualifiers somewhat. Especially when the final was 3 weeks for Dublin anyway. So no advantage at all in that regard for two professionally trained squads.

With regard bonus territory, this Mayo current squad have been slogging out for over half a decade with Dublin winning 3 All Irelands in that stage and the county of Mayo hasn't won an All Ireland in 65 years.
    To say its bonus territory to have another chance of beating what I can decipher from the tone of your post (I am not trying to have a go btw, just a little peeved by what I see as a pretty patronising post - may not have been your aim, I accept that) a superior team is very patronising as a statement in itself.

Mayo, didnt leave it behind them, I hate that statement but they were the better team on the day and showed much greater character and are clearly able to beat Dublin.

Bonus territory from getting another day out is not fair statement.

Only bonus territory at this stage is to win an all Ireland.

Anything other is a spurious and awful result in their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think we have more than enough experience at this stage. It's not enough to be happy just taking part anymore. Need to win it.

Mayo, didnt leave it behind them, I hate that statement but they were the better team on the day and showed much greater character and are clearly able to beat Dublin.

If they do not win on October, they will feel they left it behind them.
    When they drew level in the 2nd half, that was their chance to push on.

• Advertisement

Dublin were 5 points ahead at HT and then 3 points ahead in the last minute.

Only one team "left it behind" Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mayo have had a much longer campaign. Dublin sauntered through Leinster and were able to juggle their squad somewhat.
    A week between the two semi finals is very small advantage to try consolidate that imbalance with the qualifiers somewhat. Especially when the final was 3 weeks for Dublin anyway. So no advantage at all in that regard for two professionally trained squads.

With regard bonus territory, this Mayo current squad have been slogging out for over half a decade with Dublin winning 3 All Irelands in that stage and the county of Mayo hasn't won an All Ireland in 65 years.
    To say its bonus territory to have another chance of beating what I can decipher from the tone of your post (I am not trying to have a go btw, just a little peeved by what I see as a pretty patronising post - may not have been your aim, I accept that) a superior team is very patronising as a statement in itself.

Bonus territory from getting another day out is not fair statement.

Only bonus territory at this stage is to win an all Ireland.

Anything other is a spurious and awful result in their books.

Better team on the way and yet ended up with a draw that they came from behind to get?

Dublin could be wile awful the next day but it's unlikely.

I can't see anything but a Dublin win tbh. But I reckon that Mayo will get over that line next year after another year under Rochford and possibly a good shout for a league AI double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

blackwhite wrote: »
    No chance of Rock being dropped on the back of one off day in poor weather, he's been one of the more consistent performers for Dublin this summer.

Brogan is probably the most under threat in the inside forward line, especially with memories of what Andrews did at 14 against Mayo in last year's replay.

Interesting. Personally I can't see how he's making the first 15 with some of the lad's on the bench. There are other free takers there.
    We'll see I suppose. He could prove me wrong the next day and score a heap of points from play, but I very much doubt it.

I thought you hated that statement ;)

It was a weird game alright, I think you could argue that both teams left it behind them. If Kilkenny had taken the final line ball, Dublin would be champions.

That said, Dublin were rattled (and playing very badly) when Mayo drew level. If Mayo could have taken the lead there, who knows...

Mayo have had a much longer campaign.

Mayo started the championship 6 days before Dublin.

You know well what I mean.

I thought you hated that statement ;)

It was a weird game alright, I think you could argue that both teams left it behind them. If Kilkenny had taken the final line ball, Dublin would be champions.

That said, Dublin were rattled (and playing very badly) when Mayo drew level. If Mayo could have taken the lead there, who knows...

I do hate the statement, hence the sarcastic quoted implication of it.

"Mayo have had a much longer campaign"

Not really no. I am a stickler for detail.

Mayo started 6 days before Dublin with a trip to London on May 29th. Dublin played Laois on June 4th. I dont think you can say that Mayo had a "much longer" campaign.

Maybe you mean much easier campaign or more matches?

Dublin had 6 matches
    Mayo had 8 matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

"Mayo have had a much longer campaign"

Not really no. I am a stickler for detail.

Mayo started 6 days before Dublin with a trip to London on May 29th. Dublin played Laois on June 4th. I dont think you can say that Mayo had a "much longer" campaign.

Maybe you mean much easier campaign or more matches?

Dublin had 6 matches
    Mayo had 8 matches.

Mayo played 7 matches to get to the final with breaks of

3,2,1,2,1,2,4 weeks

Dublin played 5 matches with breaks of

3,3,3,3,3,3 weeks.

It certainly was a more difficult path for Mayo having to take on Tyrone especially on a one week break. They also played 3 games in 4 weeks in Croke Park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement