Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Darragh Fives 50/50 for Sunday week. There aren't any injury worries with the rest of the lads, they're playing the u21s tonight. Anyone know where it's on? Presume Stephen Bennett is gonna start for the u21s...love to see how he gets on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Darragh Fives 50/50 for Sunday week. There aren't any injury worries with the rest of the lads, they're playing the u21s tonight. Anyone know where it's on? Presume Stephen Bennett is gonna start for the u21s...love to see how he gets on

21s are playing next week, Minors are playing tonight in Walsh Park.

I meant the U21s are playing the seniors in a game tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

In the article Derek McGrath states that the seniors were playing the under 21s "tonight". I'd assume that interview was yesterday and the match was last night. I think they also played Dublin at the weekend.

Ah okay! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Am I the only one surprised that the throw-in tonight is 7.30pm and not 7pm? I know it's only half-an-hour, but that's 30 minutes less daylight in a venue with no floodlights and 'extra time if necessary' (I know it's high summer but the skies are granite out there right now, as they often are), 30 minutes more spent twiddling my thumbs after work before heading up to the field and 30 minutes less at home with the prospect of a wailing toddler waking me up sometime between 5am and 6am. I know these thoughts make me a bad supporter, but what's the benefit of the additional time? Avoiding congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

deiseach wrote: »
    Am I the only one surprised that the throw-in tonight is 7.30pm and not 7pm? I know it's only half-an-hour, but that's 30 minutes less daylight in a venue with no floodlights and 'extra time if necessary' (I know it's high summer but the skies are granite out there right now, as they often are), 30 minutes more spent twiddling my thumbs after work before heading up to the field and 30 minutes less at home with the prospect of a wailing toddler waking me up sometime between 5am and 6am. I know these thoughts make me a bad supporter, but what's the benefit of the additional time? Avoiding congestion?

Well I'd imagine Limerick supporters who are working today and busting themselves to get down after are glad it's half 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

is that O'Brien Lad, who Played wing back the first day against Cork , for Geraldines inJured?, liked what he brought to that game, on a Losing side, looked like he had a bit about him, someone told me he was just back from injury then, so was surprised to see him not starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Well I'd imagine Limerick supporters who are working today and busting themselves to get down after are glad it's half 7.

Is that what it is? I note that the last time we played an away game in the Minor championship, last year against Tipperary, throw-in was at 7.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/585710525264351232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Earlier in the year, of course, but us getting there in good time doesn't seem to have entered the equation. Too nice, that's our problem! ;)

is that O'Brien Lad, who Played wing back the first day against Cork , for Geraldines inJured?, liked what he brought to that game, on a Losing side, looked like he had a bit about him, someone told me he was just back from injury then, so was surprised to see him not starting.

Hasn't lined out for them recently so would imagine he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Think he did his cruciate unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Just after 7pm and more Limerick people here than Waterford in Walsh park !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

anyone on twitter overing it ? no wlrupdate or from waterford cobo

anyone on twitter overing it ? no wlrupdate or from waterford cobo

Waterford Gaa, Tomas McCarthy and Jerome O Connell all covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

its being broadcast live on the 95FM website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2nd half just about to begin 0-9-0-4 to Limerick

2nd half just about to begin 0-9-0-4 to Limerick

OK crowd bank and stand about half full .

Waterford point to start 2ND half 9-5 Limerick

limerick 9 waterford 4 balls pick it up lads

14-10 Limerick 15mins gone 2ND half. Limerick getting all the high balls

2600 attendance

• Advertisement

16-11 to Limerick now

16-14 limerick 23 mins gone 2h

17-15 Limerick 27 mins 2ND half

18-16 imerick injury time

18-17 lim 2mins left

Full time Limerick 19- 17

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Disappointing to lose but Limerick are a good team. Frees killed us . Some very good hurlers on the Waterford team . Pity they couldn't get more ball in to Douglas, he was starved of possession .

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Full time Limerick 19- 17

balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Were in for a few lean years at minor lads. Need to make the most of the lads that have come through the last couple years. Its a shame when you see the best minor hurler in the county has played in goals for the county team for the last 3 years running. A county like ours needs the best out of our best players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Were in for a few lean years at minor lads. Need to make the most of the lads that have come through the last couple years. Its a shame when you see the best minor hurler in the county has played in goals for the county team for the last 3 years running. A county like ours needs the best out of our best players.

To be fair now Billy cant move for 60 mins out the field since his injury last year. His best position in his current shape is on the goal.

To be fair now Billy cant move for 60 mins out the field since his injury last year. His best position in his current shape is on the goal.
    Why is he there at all then if hes injured?

Limerick have Anthony Daly as there coach

Is Getting a well known personalty on board for future minor teams the way to go ???

The championship is going to under 17 next year I think so a lot of players will be younger

PTH2009 wrote: »

Limerick have Anthony Daly as there coach

Is Getting a well known personalty on board for future minor teams the way to go ???

The championship is going to under 17 next year I think so a lot of players will be younger
    Its going to be the end of this championship as we know it. A pity in a lot of ways, its a great competition. There won't be half the interest in an u17 competition. u17s are still kids and many not fully developed as hurlers. Best example is Tadgh De Burca. Didn't make the Waterford minor team at u17 but within a couple years was young hurler of the year. Some of the other u17s who would have made that minor team never even made the u21s after.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

It doesn't seem to affect him playing for Roanmore. The man should have been out the field simple as.

Its going to be the end of this championship as we know it. A pity in a lot of ways, its a great competition. There won't be half the interest in an u17 competition. u17s are still kids and many not fully developed as hurlers. Best example is Tadgh De Burca. Didn't make the Waterford minor team at u17 but within a couple years was young hurler of the year. Some of the other u17s who would have made that minor team never even made the u21s after.

the opposite can be true aswell, lads will be picked at u17 and have to stepup making them into future leaders ,

the idea is to break the lc and hurling apart , young bennet playing a senior game the day before his LC was a farce, his exams have to come first, and the rules are the same for every county , so no one at an advantage disadvantage

• Advertisement

Zero chance of a 2017 minor player doing an Austin Gleeson on it and starting with the senior panel in 2018 ??

There's going to be less buzz about the minor championships from next year on.

An under 19 championship would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

People make a bit much out of minor at times too. What's important is player development and we have been competitive for the last number of years at this level. You don't have to be winning All Irelands every year. All we really need is to get a player of two off each team

Looking at this years team we had five starters who are under age next year for minor, which puts us at a huge disadvantage.

the opposite can be true aswell, lads will be picked at u17 and have to stepup making them into future leaders ,

the idea is to break the lc and hurling apart , young bennet playing a senior game the day before his LC was a farce, his exams have to come first, and the rules are the same for every county , so no one at an advantage disadvantage

I never said we were at a disadvantage. Im just saying it will change the dynamic of player development. Minors now have to become men quicker as there is no u18 grade anymore. The u17 grade will not be near as good a spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

I never said we were at a disadvantage. Im just saying it will change the dynamic of player development. Minors now have to become men quicker as there is no u18 grade anymore. The u17 grade will not be near as good a spectacle.
    Minor grade is still u18 next year. It changes to u17 in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Confirmed, no Irish Rail Special to Limerick.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Which is the Waterford terrace for the Munster final??

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

After their good performance against Tipperary, the poor performance of the Waterford minors against Limerick was a big disappointment. In many ways, this was a repeat of the first round defeat to Cork, with Waterford playing second fiddle for most of the match before launching a late rally which came up short. As in that game, our opponents were better focused, their first touch was much better and they had much more of a structure to their play, with many good passing movements.

Waterford started very nervously and never settled down until it was too late. Their fumble count was enormous, unable to hold onto a catch or get the ball in hand from the ground at the first, or even second, attempt. Time and again, Waterford players ran at their opponents only to lose possession in the process. There was a lack of urgency and alertness in their play, with Limerick first to the ball all over the pitch. In the first half, the Waterford backs stood off their opponents, allowing them to get easy possession from incoming ball.

Waterford were also very poor at competing for ball in the air. In this context, it defied comprehension that Waterford played their best ball winner, Eoghan Murray, in the full forward line in the first half despite playing against a very strong wind. The selectors obviously had come up with some kind of game plan which was rendered redundant by the weather conditions, and they were unable to adapt to these unexpected conditions. It was only when Murray moved to the midfield area late in the game that Waterford began to win some decent ball, and in the last ten minutes they showed some glimpse of what they were capable of, running hard and with purpose at the Limerick defence and hitting five points on the trot.

It also appears that Waterford won the toss and elected to play against the wind, which again struck me as being a poor call. I think you should always put visiting teams under the maximum pressure from the start, rather than presenting them with the opportunity to build up a bit of a lead. Even then, Waterford missed three very good early scoring chances, a reflection of the team’s weak mindset – and of course doing nothing to correct that mindset.

As it was, Limerick hit a number of bad wides themselves, and their five-point half-time lead (0-9 to 0-4) looked quite surmountable. Waterford did make a surge on the restart to reduce the lead to two points, but Limerick dug in and took over again to go six points in front by the 48th minute. The Waterford defence gave away too many easy frees, with Limerick sharpshooter Paul O’Brien nailing eight of them. Waterford did finally get their act together in the last ten minutes, and came agonisingly close to equalising when Eoghan Murray’s sideline went inches wide of the post. But once again Limerick won the ensuing puckout and forced the free which was the final nail in the Waterford coffin.

This will be Limerick’s fourth Munster minor hurling final in a row, while they are also the current Under 21 All-Ireland champions. Like Clare, they clearly have much better under-age coaching and management personnel at their disposal than do Waterford. In the 2013 Munster minor final replay, they completely outfoxed Waterford with their tactics and positional switches, and the following year, again in a Munster final replay, Waterford were unable to come to grips with their sweeper in defence. This was again apparent last night, as time after time the extra man in the Limerick defence swept up loose incoming ball.

With their Centre of Excellence and with Anthony Daly (very prominent last night) in overall charge of under-age development in the county, Limerick’s future as an under-age powerhouse looks secure. Waterford are in the dark ages by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Xenophile wrote: »
    Confirmed, no Irish Rail Special to Limerick.

Anyone care to guess why not? Seems to be a win win I'd have thought - you'd have a fairly full train going up and down for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Which is the Waterford terrace for the Munster final??
    We're in the City End Terrace: http://munster.gaa.ie/2016/06/20/munster-senior-hurling-final/

Giveitfong wrote: »
    After their good performance against Tipperary, the poor performance of the Waterford minors against Limerick was a big disappointment. In many ways, this was a repeat of the first round defeat to Cork, with Waterford playing second fiddle for most of the match before launching a late rally which came up short. As in that game, our opponents were better focused, their first touch was much better and they had much more of a structure to their play, with many good passing movements.

Waterford started very nervously and never settled down until it was too late. Their fumble count was enormous, unable to hold onto a catch or get the ball in hand from the ground at the first, or even second, attempt. Time and again, Waterford players ran at their opponents only to lose possession in the process. There was a lack of urgency and alertness in their play, with Limerick first to the ball all over the pitch. In the first half, the Waterford backs stood off their opponents, allowing them to get easy possession from incoming ball.

Waterford were also very poor at competing for ball in the air. In this context, it defied comprehension that Waterford played their best ball winner, Eoghan Murray, in the full forward line in the first half despite playing against a very strong wind. The selectors obviously had come up with some kind of game plan which was rendered redundant by the weather conditions, and they were unable to adapt to these unexpected conditions. It was only when Murray moved to the midfield area late in the game that Waterford began to win some decent ball, and in the last ten minutes they showed some glimpse of what they were capable of, running hard and with purpose at the Limerick defence and hitting five points on the trot.

It also appears that Waterford won the toss and elected to play against the wind, which again struck me as being a poor call. I think you should always put visiting teams under the maximum pressure from the start, rather than presenting them with the opportunity to build up a bit of a lead. Even then, Waterford missed three very good early scoring chances, a reflection of the team s weak mindset and of course doing nothing to correct that mindset.

As it was, Limerick hit a number of bad wides themselves, and their five-point half-time lead (0-9 to 0-4) looked quite surmountable. Waterford did make a surge on the restart to reduce the lead to two points, but Limerick dug in and took over again to go six points in front by the 48th minute. The Waterford defence gave away too many easy frees, with Limerick sharpshooter Paul O Brien nailing eight of them. Waterford did finally get their act together in the last ten minutes, and came agonisingly close to equalising when Eoghan Murray s sideline went inches wide of the post. But once again Limerick won the ensuing puckout and forced the free which was the final nail in the Waterford coffin.

This will be Limerick s fourth Munster minor hurling final in a row, while they are also the current Under 21 All-Ireland champions. Like Clare, they clearly have much better under-age coaching and management personnel at their disposal than do Waterford. In the 2013 Munster minor final replay, they completely outfoxed Waterford with their tactics and positional switches, and the following year, again in a Munster final replay, Waterford were unable to come to grips with their sweeper in defence. This was again apparent last night, as time after time the extra man in the Limerick defence swept up loose incoming ball.

With their Centre of Excellence and with Anthony Daly (very prominent last night) in overall charge of under-age development in the county, Limerick s future as an under-age powerhouse looks secure. Waterford are in the dark ages by comparison.

Interesting to note Tipp (who beat beat) had a comprehensive win over Cork in the other semi final tonight. Just shows were not too far away all the same.

Would it be fair to say the players who came through development squads after 2012 didn't have same funding available as the players who came through from Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh from 2004 to 2011? As we know the Co. board finances went tits up around late 2011 and there were huge cutbacks including funding for underage development unfortunately. Our minor winning team from 2013 for example would have got top class coaching and development up along through the development squads, compared to the minors coming through now who would not have had the same amount of resources invested in them. I think the hurlers are still there but just a bit behind in terms of basic skills, development, and conditioning compared to previous minor sides weve had in recent years.

I wonder what the 2026 Waterford senior team could be like ?

Aussie and a few of the under 21 lads (notably Shane and Stephen Bennett, Dj Foran, Dunford,Patrick Curran) will be only 28/29/30.

TDB will be 31/32

The mahonys, Jamie Barron, Dillion and few others could be nearing the end of there careers

Expecting Maurice,Noelie, the fives, SOK to be retired (with much success please god)

Kevin Moran and the Brick will be Waterford greats and maybe doing a Dan the man role somewhere and enjoying there retirements

Don't call the lads in the white coats for me yet lol (2006 seems like it was just yesterday, time is moving fast)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Disappointing about the minor result, it shows how much of a strange championship it can be when we lose to Cork, beat Tipp and Tipp beat Cork. Definaely at least shows were all around the same level anyway.

Not sure if finances really affect our minors too much, our AI winning team would've been 13/14 in 2009 when the recession was at its worst but I suppose it probably didn't get much better until recently so it's an interesting point to speculate if younger lads missing out on more coaching and development has impacted on us and is coming home to roost now.
    Agree with a previous poster tho that said were probably in for a few barren years at minor as our underage teams haven't been great the last few years.

any word on those supposed challenge games we played this week, someone mentioned one against Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

21s training 4 nights a week! Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

What is the problem with us playing in the Gaelic Grounds seriously??? anyone with half a brain would not agree for the second year running to play in Thurles against the home team. A certain chap who is not even a Waterford man obviously has a problem with it.

I'd nearly stop buying the Munster Express because of him and his indepth analysis of all things that do not relate to the beautiful game itself.
    He hasnt a clue about hurling and constantly seems to be having a cheap shot against our senior team just like his fellow clubman used "like" to do in the News & Star. Not one mention of a preview of the Minor game.

Working night's dont suit me anymore and the Munster Express dont either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

deiseach wrote: »
    DiscoStew wrote: »

Indeed sure isn't Limerick almost on another continent if you were to believe the moaners both in Tipp and Waterford :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement