Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Hanley wrote: »
    Hope this helps...

May take a few to upload.

That's a fcukin awesome thing to do.

this guy needs better shoes

lol

That's really good of you to do the video, hanley

FYP

Rumour had it when training alone, Hanley trains without them in RevFit.

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I call BS on the shorts. Hate squatting in them. Fat pants FTW!

Argue with 70s big at your peril!

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/09/the-revolutionary-guide-to-manly-short-shorts/

Edit: Note Capri pants are acceptable if you're Arnold.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Argue with 70s big at your peril!

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/09/the-revolutionary-guide-to-manly-short-shorts/

Edit: Note Capri pants are acceptable if you're Arnold.

Legend article:P

I'll look into shorts for the gym, let my tree trunks loose:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Back from physio, looks like a minor tear from hyperextending the knee

10262167_10203695946468131_4880841314747725343_n.jpg

Acupuncture and electrical stimulation was interesting..

Looks like a month out from lower body work at the minute. gutted.. Although I got a lot of ROM back after this session so we'll see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dermighty wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback Hanley.

Deadlift: The angle of the video was bad, just a result of the particular platform I was on. I'll get a better angle the next time.

I did set up as per the set up section in the supple leopard book and a number of other videos I've seen on setting up for the deadlift. Glutes+core were tight+engaged and I've noted that obviously didn't bring the lats down enough/at all. This was all before I bent to get a grip on the bar. I don't know if I need to be lower when I start the lift or what the story is, I understand that the bar should rise as I rise, in my instance my hips/ass rises first then the bar rises as the arms take the slack out of the bar, meaning my lower back does all the work (and gives me lower back pain). What causes the shins to move over the bar? Hardly my ankles as I deadlifted at the end of the session so I was still mobile. The line of the bar is over the middle of my foot (halfway between my instep and the start of my toes).

Yah.. you didn't tho. I went back to check it tonight to make sure K* was saying the same, but it clearly says "shins as vertical as possible" on pg119.

The problem is your shins are not vertical, your knees are forward.

As your shins move to vertical, your hips rise, cast your weight onto your toes and you're fighting the entire time not to fall forward. All of that is going on as the bar rises off the floor and pulls you into position even more.

Get a better angle next time and I'll even draw arrows.

Go look at the worlds best deadlifters. Almost without fail their shins are almost vertical with their shoulders over the bar as they initiate the pull.

Legend article:P

I'll look into shorts for the gym, let my tree trunks loose:pac:

Good man, welcome to the club.

On a related note, 70s big are also campaigning to take back check shirts and vests. Or flannel shirts and tank tops as they call them. I am also on board with these initiatives.

they/them/theirs

On a related note, 70s big are also campaigning to take back check shirts and vests. Or flannel shirts and tank tops as they call them. I am also on beard with these initiatives.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Yah.. you didn't tho. I went back to check it tonight to make sure K* was saying the same, but it clearly says "shins as vertical as possible" on pg119.

The problem is your shins are not vertical, your knees are forward.

As your shins move to vertical, your hips rise, cast your weight onto your toes and you're fighting the entire time not to fall forward. All of that is going on as the bar rises off the floor and pulls you into position even more.

Get a better angle next time and I'll even draw arrows.

Go look at the worlds best deadlifters. Almost without fail their shins are almost vertical with their shoulders over the bar as they initiate the pull.

Yeah the first part of the lift has me adjusting to the correct position, which is bad.

I have asked countless people to show me the correct technique for the deadlift and not a single one has given me anything like what Starrett wrote in the book. What I've seen from gym staff is that they show you a method to get the weight off the floor but not how to do it properly.

Also, one of the gym staff told me I couldn't video myself, even when it was quiet as they don't allow it :(

My aim is to get my technique as close to perfect as I can. the feedback I'm getting here from yourself and the others is helping (excep the bit about wearing pants).

In Mark Rippetoes video below he shows the position you should be in when starting a deadlift. This looks like a bottom up setup as opposed to a top down setup. Which one is correct or are they both valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

On a related note, 70s big are also campaigning to take back check shirts and vests. Or flannel shirts and tank tops as they call them. I am also on board with these initiatives.

I have a suspicion your gym gear probably makes you look like you're in a shoot for Flex magazine in 1989.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

@Dermighty could you arrange a session with a trainer to show you proper technique. The likes of Hanley or COH?

@Dermighty could you arrange a session with a trainer to show you proper technique. The likes of Hanley or COH?

It crossed my mind recently. It would mean a trip to Dublin but it would be worth it if I could get rid of the ambiguity and bad technique.

It crossed my mind recently. It would mean a trip to Dublin but it would be worth it if I could get rid of the ambiguity and bad technique.

Where are you from? The lads would know loads of trainers from around the country and might be able to help.

Where are you from? The lads would know loads of trainers from around the country and might be able to help.

Cork.

I have a suspicion your gym gear probably makes you look like you're in a shoot for Flex magazine in 1989.

Pffft, the 80s? No chance.

The 70s was when manliness peaked.

they/them/theirs

FYP.

I do love a good beard.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Just out of interest, do any of the posters here compete in bodybuilding comps? Or is it just not really done at home?
    I know there quite a few competitive powerlifters.
    Currently living in Oz and its almost the opposite out here, so many people competing in bodybuilding/physique/bikini at my gym but pretty much zero powerlifters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

colman1212 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do any of the posters here compete in bodybuilding comps? Or is it just not really done at home?
    I know there quite a few competitive powerlifters.
    Currently living in Oz and its almost the opposite out here, so many people competing in bodybuilding/physique/bikini at my gym but pretty much zero powerlifters...
    You're in Fitness First right. Bondi Westfield?
    I'd say your view is just skewed by that particular gym. A couple of the guys in there compete in BB. The massive PT in there does (or did). But a lot of them are just wannabebig without competing. So shortage of recreational guys on steroids in Oz.

But PL is defo populat too. You'd prob need to check out a place with a better weight section. There's a there's a strength coach from out this way who set a couple of WR last year. Something ridiculous like 850kg raw total @ 100kg. Only 23 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Mellor wrote: »
    You're in Fitness First right. Bondi Westfield?
    I'd say your view is just skewed by that particular gym. A couple of the guys in there compete in BB. The massive PT in there does (or did). But a lot of them are just wannabebig without competing. So shortage of recreational guys on steroids in Oz.

But PL is defo populat too. You'd prob need to check out a place with a better weight section. There's a there's a strength coach from out this way who set a couple of WR last year. Something ridiculous like 850kg raw total @ 100kg. Only 23 too

No I'm training in the fortitude valley fitness first in Brisbane, Also train at a 24 hour gym. Last week there was 8 people headed down to compete at the WBFF in sydney. There is literally always a couple of people in the gym getting ready for a comp... And yeah maybe its just the gym I'm at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

colman1212 wrote: »
    No I'm training in the fortitude valley fitness first in Brisbane, Also train at a 24 hour gym. Last week there was 8 people headed down to compete at the WBFF in sydney. There is literally always a couple of people in the gym getting ready for a comp... And yeah maybe its just the gym I'm at.
    For some reason I thought you were sydney.
    I think it varies a lot gym to gym. But it's definitely pretty big out here. Zyzz was an aussie, that mentality is alive and well

Yeah the first part of the lift has me adjusting to the correct position, which is bad.

I have asked countless people to show me the correct technique for the deadlift and not a single one has given me anything like what Starrett wrote in the book. What I've seen from gym staff is that they show you a method to get the weight off the floor but not how to do it properly.

Also, one of the gym staff told me I couldn't video myself, even when it was quiet as they don't allow it :(

My aim is to get my technique as close to perfect as I can. the feedback I'm getting here from yourself and the others is helping (excep the bit about wearing pants).

In Mark Rippetoes video below he shows the position you should be in when starting a deadlift. This looks like a bottom up setup as opposed to a top down setup. Which one is correct or are they both valid?

Really doesn't matter, but the shins are vertical. That's the most important part.

Thanks. I'll deadlift tomorrow and post a better video.

Whats the deal with consultations at revfit?

Thanks. I'll deadlift tomorrow and post a better video.

Whats the deal with consultations at revfit?

Email me on it - james@revolutionfitness.ie lest I incur the wrath of the mods :D

With vertical shins I can conquer the world!

• Advertisement

The start position for snatches and cleans are actually a lot different to deadlifts by the way. You want the bar out in front a bit for them so that it sweeps back into the pocket for the second phase of the lift.

And because it's light enough to get away with, that's ok.

Your max DL will always be MILES ahead of anything you can put overhead explosively.

The start position for snatches and cleans are actually a lot different to deadlifts by the way. You want the bar out in front a bit for them so that it sweeps back into the pocket for the second phase of the lift.

Your max DL will always be MILES ahead of anything you can put overhead explosively.

I wasn't comparing a deadlift to snatch, just pointing out how vertical the shins are :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Seeing as how coconut is all the rage these days, I want to pick up some coconut flour. I found this one on iHerb...

http://uk.iherb.com/Nutiva-Coconut-Flour-3-lbs-1-36-kg/45664#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=coconut%20flour&rc=100&sr=null&ic=4

It seems cheap, but I feel like I'm missing something and I'm curious about the carb content. At around 60% it seems very high compared to others I've found, like this one in H&B, around 20%...

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4445&prodid=5236

What's the deal? Is the first one bad quality, could it be a typo or something?

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Essien wrote: »
    Seeing as how coconut is all the rage these days, I want to pick up some coconut flour. I found this one on iHerb...

http://uk.iherb.com/Nutiva-Coconut-Flour-3-lbs-1-36-kg/45664#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=coconut%20flour&rc=100&sr=null&ic=4

It seems cheap, but I feel like I'm missing something and I'm curious about the carb content. At around 60% it seems very high compared to others I've found, like this one in H&B, around 20%...

Asian shops sell coconut flour, and other coconut products like oil etc for a fraction of what health food shops sell it. I bought a bag for a few euro a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Essien wrote: »

The iherb one may include the fibre in the total carb content as well as showing it independently, the H&B one doesn't?

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    The iherb one may include the fibre in the total carb content as well as showing it independently, the H&B one doesn't?

That would make sense actually, at least based on my limited understanding of fibre/carbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Asian shops sell coconut flour
    Most asian shops are selling coconut which is floured, i.e. it is full fat, just like most dessicated coconut is, about 65% fat or so. Intended for cooking in recipes wanting fine coconut.

Most of the health shops are selling "defatted" coconut flour, which is intended as a wheat flour substitute for baking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

rubadub wrote: »
    Most asian shops are selling coconut which is floured, i.e. it is full fat, just like most dessicated coconut is, about 65% fat or so. Intended for cooking in recipes wanting fine coconut.

Most of the health shops are selling "defatted" coconut flour, which is intended as a wheat flour substitute for baking etc.

I just dug the bag out and it is the 62% fat type. I didn't look to see if there were different varieties in the shop tho.

I literally have no idea why we have this.

Got a "paleo box" in Pablo's today.. Unreal, a lot bigger than I expected..

~300g of steak
    ~75g cottage cheese
    ~75g guacamole
    ~100g black bean purée
    shed load of leafy salad
    some crushed hazlenuts..

Cost 7.95 which is pricey enough but a decent dinner if your having a "no tupperware" day

Cant workout lower body for about a month due to knee injury but going to make the most of it. Running Smolov Jr for bench, so its 4 days a week and im going to do pullups those days too and try and get decent at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I love Pablo's paleo boxes. Got a paleo box from little ass burritos today and it was muck compared to it.

Anyone ever buy from hook grip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

That's more like a snatch grip RDL, only starting from the ground rather than the hang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

conzy wrote: »

~300g of steak
    ~75g cottage cheese
    ~75g guacamole
    ~100g black bean purée
    shed load of leafy salad
    some crushed hazlenuts..

Cost 7.95 which is pricey enough but a decent dinner if your having a "no tupperware" day

Nom Nom, can you post one down to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

It funny, at the Klokov seminar he was teaching us to keep the bar in contact with the shins during the first pull, to pull the knees back out of the way, shins vertical when the bars at the knees.
    Goes against what other people teach, suppose there's more this one way to skin a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

~300g of steak
    ~75g cottage cheese
    ~75g guacamole
    ~100g black bean purée
    shed load of leafy salad
    some crushed hazlenuts..

Cant workout lower body for about a month due to knee injury but going to make the most of it. Running Smolov Jr for bench, so its 4 days a week and im going to do pullups those days too and try and get decent at them

The only black bean I like gets delivered in a brown paper bag by sum yun gai.

• Advertisement

Looking at this program for pullups..

http://www.kbnj.com/FighterPullupByPavel.htm

Wide grip with palms facing the bar because I have always done narrow grip with palms facing myself..

Going with purple band assistance because my pullups are brutal and this way I can grind out way more reps :pac:

**** it, managed to get my shins as vertical as possible and I end up keeping a hyperextension on my neck :p
    Looking at this program for pullups..

http://www.kbnj.com/FighterPullupByPavel.htm

Wide grip with palms facing the bar because I have always done narrow grip with palms facing myself..

Going with purple band assistance because my pullups are brutal and this way I can grind out way more reps :pac:

Palms facing you is a chinup, not a pull up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

My palms would face my ears , am I missing out?
    The upc wire runs over the only doorframe in the house that fits the pull up bar and the palms facing the ear gripseems the safest place to put the weight.

yup, I should have been clearer, I have always done chinups but am now going to do widegrip pullups to use more lats and less biceps

Palms facing away is a pull up, palms facing you is a chin up, palms facing each other is a neutral grip pull up.

That said, Delavier calls palms out chin ups and palms facing you reverse chin ups.

Palms facing away is a pull up, palms facing you is a chin up, palms facing each other is a neutral grip pull up.

That said, Delavier calls palms out chin ups and palms facing you reverse chin ups.

I would see palms facing your ears as neutral/hammer grip chin up.

Once you call it neutral grip, it's obvious what you're talking about.

How do you foam roll your hamstrings? I find it difficult to apply any kind of pressure at all. It's annoying too because it's easily my biggest problem area.

I was told you can put the golf ball or tennis ball on the roller and roll with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Cross one leg over the other & use a short foam roller.
    Then use your hands to roll beck & forth.

If using a roller made of foam, try a grid or even a PVC pipe.

Other alternatives include the stick or a rolling pin or even just a lacrosse ball/cricket ball

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement