Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Last night I had Firestone Walkers Union Jack IPA, it had more of a piney and resin hop taste. I enjoyed it but I prefer the Racer 5, Ballast Point Big Eye and West Coast IPA type flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ipso wrote: »
    Last night I had Firestone Walkers Union Jack IPA, it had more of a piney and resin hop taste. I enjoyed it but I prefer the Racer 5, Ballast Point Big Eye and West Coast IPA type flavours.

My favorite IPA ever this one, superb. Though the Racer 5 and ballast pint are class too.

Drinking an 8 Degrees Full Irish, wouldn't be out of place in the company above, it's deadly.

Barrelhead IGA from the chap who brews for Sweetmans. Holy moly, this guy is a genius with malt forward beers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

drumswan wrote: »
    Barrelhead IGA from the chap who brews for Sweetmans. Holy moly, this guy is a genius with malt forward beers.

That's the "Inter Galactic Amber" they had on rotational special for a while, where did you have it? I think it's the best Irish Amber I've had so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

My favorite IPA ever this one, superb. Though the Racer 5 and ballast pint are class too.

Drinking an 8 Degrees Full Irish, wouldn't be out of place in the company above, it's deadly.

Having a full irish as we speak, it is really excellent. Similar to amber ella but more of citrus refreshing taste off it.

Had a porterhouse choc truf stout. Very dissapointed. Not sweet or chocolatey at all. Not a pleasent aftertaste either. The smell was of chocolate though just about.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    That's the "Inter Galactic Amber" they had on rotational special for a while, where did you have it? I think it's the best Irish Amber I've had so far.

Draught at The Headline. It's well into Belgian ale territory IMO, lots of dark fruits, cherries, prunes and port notes., wonder has he changed the recipefor his own gig? Never had it in Sweetmans, it's 6.8%, doubt it was that there

Draught at The Headline. It's well into Belgian ale territory IMO, lots of dark fruits, cherries, prunes and port notes., wonder has he changed the recipefor his own gig? Never had it in Sweetmans, it's 6.8%, doubt it was that there

Yup was 6.8% in sweetmans, €4.50 for a 2/3 pint stem glass. I'd imagine it's exactly the same beer, I'd even imagine it's the same batch, he probably just doesn't use the Sweetmans name outside of the pub.

Just had an Independent Pale Ale while eating a Thai Red Curry (still sipping the beer), and it is fecking lovely. No wonder it's been sold out in McHughes and Drinkstore every time I've wanted to buy it!

The citrus notes from the hopes went really well with the coconut and lime in the curry too.

Will definitely be picking this up again (and again, and again).

Anyone know if it's on draught anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I picked up a bottle of the Tuatara last week. Gotta win a prize for the coolest bottle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just had an Independent Pale Ale while eating a Thai Red Curry (still sipping the beer), and it is fecking lovely. No wonder it's been sold out in McHughes and Drinkstore every time I've wanted to buy it!

The citrus notes from the hopes went really well with the coconut and lime in the curry too.

Will definitely be picking this up again (and again, and again).

Anyone know if it's on draught anywhere?

Think it was on draught in the Headline. Almost positive somewhere in Dublin has it.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of the Tuatara last week. Gotta win a prize for the coolest bottle. :)

Yeah the "scales" are awesome. And the Lizards eye on the cap.

Tuatara Aotearoa Pale Ale has to be one of the best smelling pale ales on the planet. I could live with me nose in the glass.

Pacific Jade, Cascade, Sauvin and Wai-iti, what a delicious combination of hops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cool, we got some Jade, Cascade and Wai-iti in our last homebrew order.

The cascade gives you your usual American C Hop kick of pine, grapefruit and so on. the other two are all NZ goodness. Lots of lime, clementine, mango and passion fruit.

What are you brewing?

Where'd you order those hops out of interest?

The cascade gives you your usual American C Hop kick of pine, grapefruit and so on. the other two are all NZ goodness. Lots of lime, clementine, mango and passion fruit.

What are you brewing?

Don't know yet, I just told the brother to get a selection of hops, including Cascade and some NZ.

Saturday is already planned, we are doing our usual basic Red Ale recipe (4th time this year brewing that recipe, we are aiming for stability and consistency after losing approx 40% of our brews last year, it's totally basic, but it's already worked a few times) and an Oatmeal Stout.

We are tossing around ideas for the next brew, but with those hops it's gotta be an IPA, right?

Where'd you order those hops out of interest?

HBW I believe, I didn't make the order though

Don't know yet, I just told the brother to get a selection of hops, including Cascade and some NZ.

Saturday is already planned, we are doing our usual basic Red Ale recipe (4th time this year brewing that recipe, we are aiming for stability and consistency after losing approx 40% of our brews last year, it's totally basic, but it's already worked a few times) and an Oatmeal Stout.

We are tossing around ideas for the next brew, but with those hops it's gotta be an IPA, right?

Lob those hops into the red ale!

Lob those hops into the red ale!

maybe yeah, it's a recipe made for tweaking.

Probably need some extra malt in there for balance though :pac:

Redmonds got some of the Camden Town range in today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

They expire in october, there's very little flavour from the pale ale. The unfiltered lager wasn't bad.

Finally got my hands on a can of modus hoperandi, so good. If only it was as cheap as the last time it was here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Have to agree on the modus hoperandi ! Cracking beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fierce good beer.

Stronzo - Swagger Juze (Rye Stout brewed with Coffee).

Really nice. Only thing that lets it down for me is the high bitterness, not as bad as Jackhammer though!.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Stronzo - Swagger Juze (Rye Stout brewed with Coffee).

Really nice. Only thing that lets it down for me is the high bitterness, not as bad as Jackhammer though!.

Read a review that said Jackhammer has a sort of "burnt rubber" after taste.

Read a review that said Jackhammer has a sort of "burnt rubber" after taste.
    It wasn't really the taste per se that I had a problem with when I tried Jackhammer, it was the fact that the after affect of the bitterness just made me feel ill.

I don't know how it scores so high on rating sites.

I liked Jack Hammer a lot, really opens up as it warms.

Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I liked it too but would only drink one bottle maybe 2 if pushed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I also like Jack Hammer a lot.

I think I loved it before I tasted it, though.
    Centennial and Columbus, Dry hopped with Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement