Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Saw this elsewhere and thought i'd post it. 2016 M3 detailed after delivery

hhhhhnnnnggggg

IMG_9808_zpsa035t9sx.jpg

https://www.detailersdomain.com/blogs/auto-detailing/84022915-2016-bmw-m3-gets-a-new-car-prep-and-glass-coating-installation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

No mention of polishing. ..good to see BMW have improved on their terrible orange peel that had been on their recent cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

That has some crazy orange peel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

YbFocus wrote: »
    That has some crazy orange peel!

Unfortunately that's a factory ticked option from BMW these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My F30 is a hell of a lot better than my E92 was for orange peel. It's not down to the colour "masking" it either because being a detailer, it's easy enough to pick up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

He seemed to clay the car before washing it. And. He was using a sponge?!

*Kol* wrote: »
    He seemed to clay the car before washing it. And. He was using a sponge?!

A brand new clean sponge like that wouldn't do any damage I would've thought as the car would have pretty much zero dirt on it after all the decon that was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Curran wrote: »
    No mention of polishing. ..good to see BMW have improved on their terrible orange peel that had been on their recent cars!

The products used lists Megs 101 & 205 and this below

"After some compounding and polishing (sorry no photos) we proceeded to"

Ahhh sorry! Was thinking it looked quite well. Was quickly scanning over the post on my phone and missed that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I have a power washer and I've just been using it for rinsing when washing the car. I have auto shampoo and I use a mitt and the "two bucket" method to clean the car. It's a fair amount of work though.

Just wondering if there is an easier and quicker way to wash it using the power washer? Be handy if I could make use of the car shampoo I have as well.

• Advertisement

Some people do a version of the 'Two Bucket' Method using a snow foam lance.

Snowfoam the car
    Rinse the car down
    Snowfoam again
    Using a good wash mitt and a rinse bucket, with a drop of shampoo, wash a panel with the snowfoam, rinse the mitt, wash another panel.
    Rinse
    Dry

I'd only really advise that type of method if the car isnt too dirty.

Some people do a version of the 'Two Bucket' Method using a snow foam lance.

Snowfoam the car
    Rinse the car down
    Snowfoam again
    Using a good wash mitt and a rinse bucket, with a drop of shampoo, wash a panel with the snowfoam, rinse the mitt, wash another panel.
    Rinse
    Dry

I'd only really advise that type of method if the car isnt too dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Was thinking of making something like this and trying it for cleaning car carpets /seats ect! Just spray a little cleaner scrub it and suck it up with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrgSlbnjy-U

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all got at a yaris yesterday full of mould growth.

Got a nice bit of gear off detailingshed to get the job done.

Very happy with the results of the upholstery cleaner 50cal.

I will put up before and after pics once I find the laptop and most importantly the charger as both grew legs and walked just like the interior of the yaris was about to do.

The smell was rank and the many colours growing in there was like x files on lsd.

I spent 8 and half hours Saturday scrubbing and still not finished.

It was lying up for a little over a month and interior had seen a vacuum a handful of times over the years.

On the other hand it saw a lot of spills and food of all sorts.

Last time I got a good clean in it I found fries and mc nuggets from 6-8 months previous......

The seats look like I removed and replaced with new.

Look forward to getting I done and up for sale soon as she now has a slightly bigger and better car.
    Pics to follow soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Maybe I should start a thread for this... But I'm hoping to give my e46 a good detail in the coming weeks. Weather permitting. I'm thinking a wash, polish and wax. I have autoglym resin polish, and chemical guys carnuba wax. I don't have a DA or anything. What kind of process should I do. I feel I haven't given the car a proper clean in a long while, it's just been ticking along.

Any advice? Any things I could buy to help me along?

*My will to spend hours upon hours is not quite there... but I may be convinced otherwise!*

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Ideally you could maybe purchase some de-ironiser and tar remover so paint is nice and clean before hand polish or could be just spreading debris and doing damage.

That said :

rinse car to remove loose heavy muck
    take your chosen shampoo and mitt and wash away remember to have a rinse bucket to rinse between wipes with mitt
    Rinse
    de iron
    dwell - 2-5 mins should surfice but dont let product dry
    rinse
    tar remover
    dwell - as above
    rinse
    dry with suitable towel or compressor air/leaf blower etc
    polish away working in 2 foot area's and buffing
    wax away a panel at a time with 2-5 minute dwell before buffing

Take pics and admire, post said pics on here take the good with the bad and go for drive

This just a simple way to go about, there several other ways and different options but I am presuming you dont have likes of snow foam and mega machines etc etc as there was no mention of it.

I'd give it a clay bar too after DE ironing and tarring it, makes a massive difference!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers lads, never heard of de-ironing before! What product do you recommend?

Cheers lads, never heard of de-ironing before! What product do you recommend?

De-Ironing would be the same as a Fallout remover, Iron-x is great but I find Bilt Hamber's Korrosol the best, can be got on DetailingShed, you'll be surprised what it'll take off!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi having trouble uploading photos from laptop onto boards any tips? keep getting error page when manage attachment and upload photo.

• Advertisement

As the lads said, claying is worth considering, as it makes a massive difference. De-Ironing and De-Tarring are two steps pre-claying that make claying so much easier. Definitely wouldnt clay without de-tarring, but the de-iron will also remove a heap of contamination.

If you were looking for the lazy man approach...wash, rinse, de-iron, rinse, de-tar, rinse or quick wash, dry and wax/sealant ....will actually do a decent job, and will make a very noticeable difference on Silver, assuming you still have the E46!

Take it a step further and clay after the de-tar.
    And further again, a light hand polish pre wax / sealant will be the works and a very good job.

Hi having trouble uploading photos from laptop onto boards any tips? keep getting error page when manage attachment and upload photo.

Not sure the site is back to 100% post the issues a little while back - just posted above and the past few times, and Ive had to delete a duplicate several times.

De-Ironing would be the same as a Fallout remover, Iron-x is great but I find Bilt Hamber's Korrosol the best, can be got on DetailingShed, you'll be surprised what it'll take off!

Are there any walk in shops that I could pick these up? Detail shed charges almost €8 for delivery...:(

Contact them directly...they'll arrange collections...they are in Swords!

Hear they should have better rates sorted by next week too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Are there any walk in shops that I could pick these up? Detail shed charges almost €8 for delivery...

I was able to collect every time i ordered, send them a pm on fb.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Contact them directly...they'll arrange collections...they are in Swords!

Hear they should have better rates sorted by next week too! ;)

Wish I knew that last week when I spent a few quid there and had it dropped to Finglas to me, the 8quid could have bought or gone towards something else.
    Not even a packet of sweets in the order.:rolleyes:

At least you know now, for future! ;)

It's not a sweet shop. Would you expect sweets from Harvey Norman or Lifestyle or whatever? I think you may have mixed them up with another supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It's not a sweet shop. Would you expect sweets from Harvey Norman or Lifestyle or whatever? I think you may have mixed them up with another supplier.

Same thing as going into a sweet shop for a packet of crisps and getting a bottle of Mr.Sheen thrown in for free. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Harvey Norman sell Suites, so yes I would expect a suite or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's not a sweet shop.

It's not :confused: :eek:

But the cotton candy, bubblegum and berry bomb tastes so nice!!!

Advertisement