Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Big thinkers and their smart ideas for this week's Budget (Independent)

Philip McNamara, Outsourced customer services

Managing director USA at Voxpro

"Over in Silicon Valley there's a lot of young ambitious start-ups. But I think it's a little bit harder to do that in Ireland, mainly because of the lack of funding.

"In the past Ireland has had huge equestrian success because there was a tax-free deal done for horses. That led to a huge equestrian industry in Ireland. We could do the same thing for drones, and UAVS (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) where you say: 'If you're developing a UAV industry, we'll give you a tax-free status on profits for say five years, whatever it is, to bring companies in.'

"If you look at the investment that was put into Shannon Airport in the 1950s, that investment decision led to the duty-free industry, it led to the aircraft leasing industry, and it led to half of the world's aircraft leasing companies setting up in Ireland today.

"Ireland has this huge rich heritage of working with aircraft leasing, and that can be translated into drones as well."
    Nice food for thought, the idea of Shannon as a location for the manufacture and testing of UAVS would be worth exploring.

I’d imagine that UL’s Aeronautical Engineering department would only be too happy to get involved in such a venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

6 diverted Ryanair flights from Dublin to Shannon this evening.

FR7157 from Madrid
    FR119 from London Gatwick
    FR1457 from Brussels
    FR6394 from Barcelona
    FR271 from London-Stansted
    FR8036 from Cologne

Among 9 diverted flights from Dublin this evening.

FAO and AGP have been loaded on the Aer Lingus website. Not yet bookable, but both routes commence early may. At the expected frequency of 4pw and 3pw respectively.

Anyword on a Ryanair announcement yet? FAO and AGP being increased by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

EI Flights avail for booking now for S16, timetable below

Mon/Fri
    FAO 0915 EI901 SNN 1200
    SNN 1240 EI902 FAO 1520

Sun/Weds
    FAO 1440 EI903 SNN 1725
    SNN 1805 EI904 FAO 2045

Tue/Thurs/Sat
    AGP 1520 EI925 SNN 1725
    SNN 1805 EI926 AGP 2200

Airport has won Airport of the Year for second year in a row at ERA Awards tonight. Fair play to them, if only it would translate to new carriers and routes. Will give them benefit of the doubt for now.

• Advertisement

I see that they are two Turkish Airline flights from Istanbul stopping in Shannon today.

One will fly to Chicago at (10:50) and the other to Atlanta at (23:45).

I presume that they are picking up cargo.

Yes, they kept the launch of the Atlanta one quiet as that is full time along with the Chicago one. They seem to have built up some business at last

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for September.

The overall total UK figures are down -4.3% as against the same month from last year.

365830.png

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

I've seen some rumours on Facebook and Twitter of some announcement from expected announcement from Ryanair? Anyone have any idea?

Out of curiosity I know this is a Shannon airport thread but anyone have any idea of Ryanairs changes to its summer schedule from ORK..any reductions? I see they've cancelled the Furteventura route but can't see anything else?

So as its stands SNN to Nice and Poiters is cancelled and frequency down to 5 per week to MAN, and further reductions on Memmingen and Paris. With the high loads over the summer on these routes what is Ryanairs intentions? This chopping and changes of routes is strange. Why not just maintain profitable routes? I know LF isn't everything but it's certainly important.

Ryanair cutting corks FUE and PSA. (FUE was 1pw APR-OCT and PSA 2/3pw JUN-AUG)

The FUE cut may benefit the Shannon service, but if there's not an increase in frequency prices could be even more eye watering.

• Advertisement

Airbus330 wrote: »

So as its stands SNN to Nice and Poiters is cancelled and frequency down to 5 per week to MAN, and further reductions on Memmingen and Paris. With the high loads over the summer on these routes what is Ryanairs intentions? This chopping and changes of routes is strange. Why not just maintain profitable routes? I know LF isn't everything but it's certainly important.

MAN, BVA and FMM's load factors were okay, but prices on them routes were low so maybe the profitability wasn't there. They should do better at their lower frequencys. With NCE I don't know, high LF and prices weren't exactly low.

Or, maybe these routes are making way for other new routes or frequency increases?

Not sure but they're slow enough to make any announcement from SNN that's for sure. Be great if they opened up routes that can be maintained for the long term, instead of these tiny secondary airports that have little growth potential. That being said I'm sure FMM would do well during the winter ski season even at a weekly frequency.

That's another thing SNN have no routes near skiing resorts except for maybe a few in Poland. Surely encouraging a charter service and working with travel companies to entice even a weekly service to south of France, Austria or Germany would surely be viable even even just for 3 mts.

ORK also seems to have lost there Brussles service which doesn't seem to be available on the EI website for next summer.

Unless things have changed since I heard last they will announce something soon

Unless things have changed since I heard last they will announce something soon

Hopefully. Would have expected it the week just gone, but hopefully soon.
    Any idea yourself?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hopefully. Would have expected it the week just gone, but hopefully soon.
    Any idea yourself?

They must know you're waiting for them :pac: :D

Anyone know why tonight's BOS-SNN flight is cancelled? Aircraft go tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know why tonight's BOS-SNN flight is cancelled? Aircraft go tech?

EI showing it as on time.

Edit it was hit by an air bridge yesterday in BOS, returns to service tonight ex BOS.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    EI showing it as on time.

According to FR24 and the Shannon Airport website both confirm it as Cancelled, and the outbound today EI135 also appears to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    When I saw 104 passengers I was really surprised, 60% is poor for this time of year. 75% would be more normal, this figures seem more like Jan/Feb time.

I came in on EI110 yesterday morning from JFK. Loads of empty seats. At a guess I reckon 45-50. The outbound was full 4 days previously.

Tonights flight from JFK-SNN appears to be cancelled. Could this be as a result of one of the 757's going tech in BOS yesterday? If so, will the 757 from todays SNN-JFK flight position to BOS?

• Advertisement

SAS Flight SK4603 from Oslo to Dublin diverted to Shannon today.

Probably due to an Aer Lingus emergency landing in Dublin.

Notice they have yet to update the system for a B763 operation to JFK (even DUB-ATL 763 to 7640. I am wondering how correct the info was as the press statement form SNN have no comment from anybody at DL such as Ire/UK Manager etc. DUB didn't issue a release but not sure I would of expected one with only a small change.

Since the 18th of October, an A320 has been used on the SNN-LHR twice. EI-DEL positioned to Shannon on the 18th, and by the 19th EI-EPR (An A319)had flown to Shannon and operated the Heathrow service. Anyone know why the service is again operated by an A319?

Since the 18th of October, an A320 has been used on the SNN-LHR twice. EI-DEL positioned to Shannon on the 18th, and by the 19th EI-EPR (An A319)had flown to Shannon and operated the Heathrow service. Anyone know why the service is again operated by an A319?

Looks like a bit of mix and match in the schedule to me. Still expect it will be gone completely in the next few days

Airbus330 wrote: »

Hmm, reading it it sounds like a local TD lazily emailed the airport and they said they were working on restoring it, therefore he assumed there was active talks and got a media spin off it.

Hmm, reading it it sounds like a local TD lazily emailed the airport and they said they were working on restoring it, therefore he assumed there was active talks and got a media spin off it.

True but no harm in addressing it I suppose. He's a pretty clueless TD however who knows nothing about how the industry functions!

Shannon Heritage posts strong performance (Clare Herald)

To the end of September 2015, key attractions in the Shannon Heritage portfolio showed an increase in visitor numbers.

Bunratty Folk Park visits were up 14% on 2014, with King John’s Castle experiencing growth of 8%.

Market research indicates that visitors from the US and Europe were up on 2014, whilst there was also significant increase in the amount of corporate events held in Shannon Heritage locations compared to last year.

August down 3.9%
    September up 2.8%

Completely random but September increase at SNN was the exact drop at ORK...

August figure a little unexpected considering July was +2.6%, June +0.5

• Advertisement

Plane makes an emergency landing after passenger becomes ill (RTE)

A plane has made an emergency landing after a passenger fell ill aboard a US-bound flight.

The Boeing 777-300 aircraft made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport earlier this afternoon.

British Airways flight BA-193 was en route from London to Dallas, Texas when the crew declared a medical emergency and requested permission to divert and land at Shannon.

The passenger has since been transported to University Hospital Limerick for treatment and the flight continued on its journey shortly before 4pm.

Advertisement