Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options
  • 16-09-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Aldi are offering Gamin 500 for €109 next Thursday (24th) they have the neutral colour one pictured so presumably it'll be that one. It's an excellent price for one.

They will also have the Performance range of Bib tight and windprrof jerseys available. I have one of the jerseys over 2 years now and it is simply excellent, it's been wore and washed hundreds of times and still in like new condition and the red is still vibrant and bright. I may buy another one along with their socks and rear LED lights and a pair of leg warmers.

They also have turbo trainers with remote resistance control for €79 along with riser block.

The offers aren't on their page yet but the catalogues are in the store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Was looking at picking up a garmin 500. At €109 that great value. Guess I need to take next Thursday off work to get to Aldi so !

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

is the Garmin edge worth it over other bike comps?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

shansey wrote: »
    is the Garmin edge worth it over other bike comps?

For that price yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Pictures of catalogue pages

• Advertisement

Some more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭seanin4711

love to know about that turbo.
    very little info on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Ah crap, gonna drop a packet in Aldi next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

My neck hurts now, Cee-Jay.

The Garmin 500 is good value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How noisy do turbo trainers tend to be? I'm tempted at that price but worried as Im in an apartment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

no work stand booooo aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

seanin4711 wrote: »
    love to know about that turbo.
    very little info on it!

depends on the turbo... i use mine in my apartment.. id imagine my neighbours underneath could hear it, but not more than they would a hoover. i generally turbo a couple times a week around dinner time, so not to upset anyone too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cyclung, heh-heh.

Raam wrote: »
    Cyclung, heh-heh.

Am frum the deep south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've a cateye strade wireless. Does anyone know if the HRM and Speed/Cadence meter with that are ANT+ so I can use them with the 500 if I manage to get one.

Orion wrote: »
    I've a cateye strade wireless. Does anyone know if the HRM and Speed/Cadence meter with that are ANT+ so I can use them with the 500 if I manage to get one.

Check on the rear of the sensors. It'll usually say but I don't think your model is ANT+

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Want stand and merino stuff. Would be all over the Garmin but have a Bryton

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I'm still waiting for the Aldi carbon bike special :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Einstein? wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the Aldi carbon bike special :D

You're about 6 years too late for Lidl's alu one, unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is this the first time aldi have done a turbo trainer, does anyone have experience of them before?

I just bought a Garmin Edge 200 in Halfords for €89 is it worth returning and paying an extra €20 for the 500?
    I'm a mountain biker which might have relevance in both questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Is this the first time aldi have done a turbo trainer, does anyone have experience of them before?

I just bought a Garmin Edge 200 in Halfords for €89 is it worth returning and paying an extra €20 for the 500?

Yes, great value at €109, return the Edge 200 and get the Edge 500. I ave one about three years, love it.

sparrowcar wrote: »

Here is a useful comparison chart:

garmin-edge-compare2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Anyone know what the sizing on "performance bib tights" is like? They seem to range from S-L and I would normally grab an XL in Lidl gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think they're a lidl bit bigger in aldi. I've bib-shorts from Lidl and I'm bet into them, but there's a bit more space in the aldi bib-tights.

I have size Medium. I'm 5'11" 32" waist, 32 inside Sean, 38-40cm chest and weigh 74kg. They're ideal fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/

For the record, it's really good gear based on the stuff I bought 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Regarding the Garmin...

- can it be unmounted easily for charging (via USB for example)? I.e. Twist it on/off from a mount say?

- Does the Time of Day clock remain accurate in a similar fashion to a radio clock? (And illuminate at night easily?)

Apart from the clock and knowing my current speed/distance travelled, that would probably be the main functionality I'd use on it.. Although i'm sure the gps tracking would be a fun gimmick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Damn I just bought the Garmin 200 in Halfords for €90 a few months back.. Think I'll go for the 500 now.. Excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

mrcheez wrote: »
    Regarding the Garmin...

- can it be unmounted easily for charging (via USB for example)? I.e. Twist it on/off from a mount say?

- Does the Time of Day clock remain accurate in a similar fashion to a radio clock? (And illuminate at night easily?)

Apart from the clock and knowing my current speed/distance travelled, that would probably be the main functionality I'd use on it.. Although i'm sure the gps tracking would be a fun gimmick :)

I have a 200 and the clock does not appear on the screen as u cycle. In fact it's impossible to use it to tell the time... The feature is well buried. Don't know if 500 have same problem. Very silly of Garmin to have left this out of main screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Masala wrote: »
    I have a 200 and the clock does not appear on the screen as u cycle. In fact it's impossible to use it to tell the time... The feature is well buried. Don't know if 500 have same problem. Very silly of Garmin to have left this out of main screen

I'm talking 510 here but there's very little difference in the 500
    You can change the screen to show (too) many different things. Time of day being one of them

Advertisement